Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

spog posted:

I dunno. Capaldi had an awful lot of 'oh he's dead/dying. Never mind, on to the next scene' in his tenure.

I liked the episode where he was stuck in the tiny tardis and Clara took the reigns claiming to be the Doctor. Mostly for how worried he was that she was acting as she perceived him to be, and that that meant dealing with death inhumanly well. He saw himself how humans perceived him and he saw someone who was way too cavalier about her failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think my favourite Sonic Screwdriver joke was with Captain Jack's intro episode.

"It's fine, I have sonic too."
"Sonic what?"
"It's all good, I'm sonic'd up!"
"What kind of Sonic..."
"IT'S A SCREWDRIVER!"

Then later "Who takes a screwdriver and decides "Oooh, this could be more *~sonic~*" "What, never been bored? Never had a long night and a lot of cabinets to put up?!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A joke from an episode that's not well liked that I liked was the Sandman one with the door that the drunken workers had reprogrammed to only open if you sing "Sandman" at it because they thought it was funny.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

There are a few plots with an alien trying to find a human trophy, it's so common. I just wish they'd do something fun and different with it, like maybe the alien and his trophy end up in a scuffle with some third party on the way to the ship, the human fends well for himself and wins the alien's respect, opening the avenue for a compromise. By the time the Doctor arrives they've already agreed to something, like treating it like a fishing trip where after showing him off to his friends for a couple of days, then he'll "throw him back" or something.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I really hope you are kidding, doing anything "Ironically" is just a waste of time, if you enjoy something just let yourself enjoy it. If you aren't kidding then that is the most pathetic post.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'd like if Tim Shaw wound up slumming it on Earth because the other guys saw his logs and started calling him Tim Shaw to mock him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked the dramatic irony in the Trophy's mantra - "I am important. Somebody wants me. I am valuable." He was right, but not how he expected to be.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like the new interior, it's an interesting distiction - this is what the Tardis looks like when left to it's own devices. It's grown from a crystal, so when decorating itself it fits that all the key structural components would grow similarly naturally, and the console is pretty basic probably because it's a default configuration. It's almost like a factory-reset Tardis.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked the scene just before the Tardis shows up when The Doctor is genuinely worried that she has actually failed, only for her companions to be all "Oh come off it, we're not giving up that easy!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

uvar posted:

It wasn't incredible, I found myself getting distracted occasionally and don't care for the new TARDIS much yet (in or out), and I bet the more I think about the plot the less coherent it would seem. I appreciate that the race was almost sideways to the Doctor's motivation, with the groups physically overlapping for a while and some typically-rushed character development but the racers exiting the story literally as soon as their part was done, and the Doctor having virtually no impact on the 'villain' at all. Not that it's particularly novel - half the point of the show is visiting new and strange places - but I like the small-scaleness of it so far with "stop one cheating bounty hunter" and "fairly competent daytrip to retrieve the TARDIS" versus saving the entire planet.

I also liked that they had Graham bring up the language issue in case any pedantic new fans were wondering, gave a different explanation for once, and then immediately reassured that the telepathic circuits were still a thing anyway.

That reminds me of my favourite Bill Potts moment when she figured out the Tardis was psychically translating for her - "Wait, am I speaking Latin right now?!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The thing with the killer cloths is that they have been done better in the Harry Potter series - in the supplemental book released for the Comic Relief charity ("Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them", a book of all the monsters and creatures that exist in the universe) there is a creature known as the Lethifold, a large shadow that resembled a discarded black cloak or sheet, that slinks under your door, wrap itself around you, waits for you to suffocate then digests you right there in your bed. The only thing people see in the aftermath if they see anything at all is a shadow slinking out of the room, slightly thicker than it used to be.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked her from the interminable suitcase gag where she prepped the hell out of herself. "*Brandishing each suitcase* Hot weather, cold weather, No weather!"

also her misunderstanding of the Doctor's slang. "I just want... a mate." "You're not mating with me sunshine!" was a gag I found funny too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I have a feeling the reason for the intricate plan was that if he just timejumped Rosa out of 1955, her friends and family would notice and it would ripple in a less predictable way, or Time Cops or whatever would notice the massive change. Just stopping her from needing to give up her seat is a small, subtle thing that no one would notice until it was too late.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I think it's going to be a long time before anything tops,"LOCATION EARTH! LIFEFORMS DETECTED! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwN6vNBttws

Mickey's "That's not Cybermen....." line gets to me everytime.

I liked the Daleks and the Cybermen being catty at each other:

"You would declare war on the Cybermen?"
"THIS IS NOT WAR! THIS IS PEST CONTROL!"

and

"YOU ARE SUPERIOR IN ONLY ONE RESPECT!"
"What is that?"
"YOU ARE BETTER AT DYING!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's a shame Yaz isn't in uniform this season because they could have done something clever with her camera, like have it be recording poo poo during an episode that the characters don't notice themselves until reviewing the footage.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Pastamania posted:

One of the common complaints, at least from tv critics during Moffats run, was that the stories got too obtuse and complicated and people struggled to follow. Moffat was guilty of leaning too much on the lore of Who (‘the gently caress is a mondasian cyber man!?’ - everyone under 50). I suspect this is an edict from on high to make the show more ‘accessible’ again.

The thing is, RTDs run succeded because because he put the focus on fleshed out interesting characters, and, it was refreshingly fun, optimistic and camp at a time when 9/11 and Iraq broke a lot of writers brains. The actors are fine, but no one is anywhere near as memorable as Rose, Her Mum, Capt Jack... RTD prioritised the emotion of any given scene often at the cost of a tight plot. That’s a valid creative choice, and the wider writing team brought enough high concept sci-fi to offset it - Chibnall or someone else seems to have interpreted that lesson as ‘the audience is stupid’.

Maybe they’re right. Aren’t the ratings way up this season?

I liked Cassandra The Last Human due to how her plot ended - her surgeries were a result of a severe dismorphia, never being satisfied with her body, so her in her assistant's body going back in time to see her true/pre-surgery self and let her know she was beautiful from the start was a really sweet moment. Also that episode was hilarious for her lines in the Doctor's body. "So many parts and so hardly used~!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Crusader posted:

it does feel like classic who like no other revival season has so far, at least for me and with the single episode story constraint; obviously lots of factors in that though

The final episode will involve needing to make a giant cable network, by manually placing them in and around all the buildings on earth - literally running up and down corridors for 55 minutes to save the world.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always liked Matt Smith's silent rage whenever his character grew outraged. He did a great job of looking like an ancient being in a young body, mostly in his eyes and voice. Like in Beast Below when he realises that Amy tried to protect him from an impossible choice and he just glares at her with the line "You don't ever decide what I need to know." Honestly at times he could be scarier than Capaldi, simply due to that intensity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDix_GCbWf0

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked the concept of the aliens, super assassins who never considered what they were doing to people until it happened to them en mass because they weren't there to stop it. Then they're like "You know, this kind of sucks to be on the receiving end, I'm feeling kind of guilty now, let's start doing the exact opposite..."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Gravastars posted:

Their presentation reminded me of the Ood in a really good way. It might be because it's Remembrance Day, but the idea of time travelling mourning and witnessing just got to me.

Makes me think a bit of Dia de los Muertos, with remembering the dead that have no one to remember them. I like to think because of these assassins way fewer people in the Mexican afterlife get forgotten entirely, their entire ship is a huge Ofrenda.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 11, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

So if you die in a lonely place, you’re going to get visited by these guys, and also the Testimony from TUaT within a matter of moments?

It'll be quite the farewell party :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

That's exactly what I want too. I like the actor, I like the character, but she largely feels like she is filling the generic companion role at the moment and I'd really like her to have more to do than be the person who asks questions on behalf of the audience.

The main problem is that the last companion who was there To Ask Questions was Bill Potts, and she asked interesting questions that the Doctor didn't expect. I particularly like "We were an eglitarian society, gender didn't matter since you never knew what you'd be next anyway..." "You were called the Time Lords though?" "Shut up..."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

God I miss Bill. Though in many ways it's perfect she only got a season, since now she'll always be remembered (by me) as a great companion, without any qualifiers of,"If only she hadn't come back for that unnecessary extra half season" or "I wish she'd left in Episode <x> instead of Episode <y>"

Also her exit was really good due to managing to keep her head while being Cybered, it gave her an interesting dynamic before the inevitable happened. Missy's exit was great as well, especially for "I will never stand with The Doctor!" "Sorry honey, but... you will." Then her delirious laughter after her and Simm killed each other.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 12, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Also, this episode seems like the Doctor and crew being there had no effect. If they didn't show up, this episode would have ended the same way.

I think that was sort of the point, as well as an illustration of why you shouldn't mess with your personal history - you will find out horrible things that you cannot un-know and will be powerless to prevent them due to potentially damning yourself to nonexistence.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'd like to see a scene of a small adventure as a preamble to one of the larger ones, like they go to an intergalactic bazaar that exchanges Earth currency because previous Doctors came by with *their* companions and they realised "Oh hey, these creatures exist and have cash to spend, and are really impulsive and curious. We could hella profit off of them!" Just a montage of them buying neat alien clothes and ornaments and stuff before they go somewhere else and stuff gets serious. Let the costume and prop departments just go nuts for a bit.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Tomtrek posted:

I was really really liking that episode until it turned out the horrible explotitve company wasn't the problem and in fact it was the guy who was trying to sabotage that (in admittedly the worst way possible) who was the real bad guy here.

The episode goes out of it's way to specifically call out the bad working conditions of Kerblam, and even highlights how strange it is to have humans in jobs that could just as well be done by automation, and the solution to that is... to add more humans into the system?

It's just so annoying because I was loving everything about the episode until then.

To be fair it's established that the Job Market is basically nil, and barely anyone can find work. It's a bandaid, but it's something that can bring in the money for the employees. The characters don't care much about the conditions, just that no one can find work due to automation.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I kind of like that the Robots are kind of friendly while you're being productive, they only get whiny when you stop working entirely to do something that's irrelevant, like when Yaz and Dave just stopped dead in the aisle to have a chat and got interrupted with "Great conversation guys, but seriously, please wait til the break!" In the intro they didn't mind the banter as much, because Dave wasn't stopping what he was doing, due to not really starting the workday yet.

I feel the theme could have been stronger if they'd applied that to characters like the manager too, like have an introductory scene of him berating a colleague like he did in his initial scene, with one of the robots being all "I appreciate the work ethic, but stressing out our workforce unnecessarily is not helpful. A happy worker is a productive worker. :)"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah one thing I liked was the robots weren't really used as monsters- from the promos I expected they'd do the old 'smiling robots murder people' bit we saw last season, and they *sorta* did that but it wasn't the focus.

I liked that they were less slave drivers being all "GET BACK TO WORK HUMANS!" and more DTLs just being all "Um, hey, you've been on aftercall for 10 minutes and there are calls queuing, could you not?" (I work in a call center so that's my simile)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

We kind of already had that in spirit with Rory's rebirth as Devoted and Terrifying Plastic Centurion Rory.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Charlie had no reason to think Graham was anything but what he seemed, a lovely older man in over his head who wanted some help figuring out how to get around - plus maybe he could give him some advice on how to flirt with Kira! The fact he didn't see that Graham was putting on a bit of an act is nicely ironic, since Charlie was doing the same thing and relying on everybody else thinking he was what he thought Graham was: a nobody.

I kind of liked the slight panic at Graham's little joke about "Being able to pick up on the most delicate of social cues" I like to think that was partially a concern like "poo poo does he suspect?" until Graham admitted he was joking about his crush.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

:dong::dong::dong::dong:

Is what it brings to mind.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think it could be interesting to have a plot point where something that happened, some small localised, almost unnoticeable atrocity in history, didn't happen because one of the historical figures took their meetings with The Doctor to heart. Like a witch trial that was supposed to happen after the one shown... didn't, because King James got introspective when he got home, realised killing that woman was a step too far and calmed down. Not a big enough ripple to have to fix it by making it happen, but a point of "Oh hey, he listened... :unsmith:" on the way to another adventure.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

11s rant about how he's not running from things, he's running to things, because everything is ephemeral, was one of my favourite moments in his run.

Also Colonel Runaway. That's the kind of viciousness I like, not immortal scarecrows in a black hole.

It's kind of amusing that the most vicious one was the freshest faced, then Capaldi was curmudgeonly but never quite as vengeful despite appearances.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

One thing I'll give Kill the Moon - it had a great final scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk58yAmBJaM

Even if the rest of the episode building up to it was crap, that was a great moment for Clara.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Plus it leads into Mummy on the Orient Express and Flatline, which is one hell of a 1-2 Punch and two of my favorite revival episodes.

Edit: Let's not.... let's not talk about In the Forest of the Night..... :negative:

Listen to the trees and don't take your antipsychotic medication. Great messages.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Graham is literally Paddington :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

At least while Moffat was often kind of dumb it was mostly interesting, like the whole River Song thing was a total clusterfuck, but it was something. I actually liked Jeckyll though so I have a high tolerance for Moffat.

I just love lines like "Have you ever killed anyone? It's great it's like sex but there's a winner!" I found that series fun overall.

also I got around to watching the first ever serial, The Unearthly Child, just finished the last episode "Firemaker". It was pretty fun.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 9, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Gravastars posted:

Even at their worst, both RTD and Moffat were always at least interesting. Both have delivered spectacular trainwreck series finales, but each one of those has been memorable because things at least happened.

Who will remember the time the Doctor and Yas removed their neural blockers and then promptly replaced them? Who will remember when Earth was nearly put into stasis until it didn't happen? Who will even remember the title of this episode?

Precisely, even when Amy and Rory got bad moments they were stuff like putting Madame Kovarian's eyepatch back on her head so the Silence could continue torturing her to death with the quip "She didn't get it all from you sweetie..." That was overly mean and vengeful, but there was emotion behind it and it was interesting.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something interesting by comparison is in finally got around to watching my first Old Who serial, the Unearthly Child, and it is also a three companion story (Susan, Ian and Barbara), but they all had poo poo to do because the situation was desperate enough they all had to chip in. It took the combined might of all three of them to attempt to cut their bonds after the Doctor finally chipped in and suggested using the bone fragments instead of the soft rocks (although they had to be bailed out by the old woman in the end, they were all trying) and for the stretcher for the son of the FireMaker that took all of them and the arranged bride working together to assemble the stretcher and tend the wounds. None of the companions felt all that useless because if they weren't all there they wouldn't have had enough coats for a start.

Also I kind of liked that rather than being the all knowing caretaker of later doctors, Hartnell just spent the whole thing being a belligerent arse for the first few episodes. Also it was a historical but not about The Most Important Guy - it wasn't the guy who discovered fire like it would have been in new Who, it was his son trying to live up to the expectations. It's also interesting that there is a when for when the chameleon circuit broke - it burned out while they were camped in the junkyard so Susan could go to a normal human school and socialise.

I also enjoyed that Hartnell is more scientific than the other incarnations, he checks the readings before going outside to make sure it's safe then sticks around the Tardis collecting samples to study.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just watched part 2 of The Daleks - I like that the old Daleks are more cunning, less "BLOW EVERYTHING UP IMMEDIATELY" and more manipulating people for their own gain. I especially like that their rays aren't always instant kills, they can partially paralyse as well for tactical use.