Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Following up on a point from the tail end of the last thread, Idris Elba is a great actor and all, but I think Adrian Lester would be a better Doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My preference for Adrian Lester is based pretty much entirely on Hustle.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve finally figured out who she reminds me of sometimes. Victoria Wood. I am totally behind this now.

Haha, you're right! :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TinTower posted:

Aren't episodes officially going to 50 minutes now? That's only 40 minutes shy of 12x45.

I heard they were going to be a full hour.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed watching this episode. I will watch the next one as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How many of the names at the end were recognisable to a UK native audience? Not being from the UK (and not watching much British TV these days) I couldn't really tell.

I think Alan Cumming and Art Malik are probably the biggest names.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

I haven't heard from Art Malik in years.

But you have heard of him!

(In fairness, the first thing he was in recent-ishly which occurs to me was that Labour Party PPB from a couple of years ago.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This episode was the highest rated episode since 2013, apparently.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Don't you think Karl looks tired?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spog posted:

At the very real risk of being 'that guy', did the new screwdriver design remind any other viewers of something else?

A spoon? :confused:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spog posted:

"What are you going to do, assemble a cabinet at them?”

Should've used that one on Harriet Jones (MP Flydale North).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose when you are making two or three fewer episodes than usual, you have more to left over to spend on making the others look and sound better.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Apposite, considering the thread title.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Unsubstantiated assertion!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Before Doctor Who was revived, the most diverse cast on a major British science-fiction series was Red Dwarf. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

Um...to me the new sonic looked like an alien phaser weapon from Star Trek.

I feel like making this comparison is the biggest fan betrayal of all. :ohdear:

I'm sort of disappointed that although the Dead Ringers sketch where the Doctor visits the London Eye is now back on YouTube, the one where Christopher Eccleston reveals the real reason why he quit Doctor Who seems to have vanished.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

According to this article, "yerma" is Spanish for "barren", but it is also Norn Iron for "your mother". Coincidence? I think not.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

Hm. I think she's actually fine in the RTD years, given the material, but she is, pun definitely intended, quite dreadful in Penny Dreadful, although a lot of it is the accent they have her attempting.

The character is supposed to be from Belfast. Piper has said that she got tips for the accent from Nadine Coyle from Girls Aloud... who is from Londonderry. :v:

She's also supposed to be Catholic but I believe she has a line about being from the Shankhill, which seems dubious to me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

corn in the bible posted:

He was great as the gruff sad cop on Law and Order UK so it was weird to find out he's basically always been a game show/soap opera guy

One of his earliest television roles was as a foul-mouthed gangster on an episode of the Lock, Stock... and Two Smoking Barrels spin-off series, which was very surprising indeed when you've only seen him as a genial game show host.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

what are some good big finish 7th stories, mccoy is awesome

Rapture.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Flip-Flop" makes pretty clever use of the audio format but the story itself has Some Problems.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Bloodtide" is pretty forgettable. Evelyn being excited to meet Charles Darwin was fun but that's basically the only detail I remember from the story at all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Twilight just because I like the idea of a vampire who really wants to be Ronnie Kray.

I don't mind the Forge in general, though it's a bit tiresome when they keep trying to get Nimrod over as this ultimate badass everyone's scared of.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

I can’t believed I confused RTD and Moffat. It’s like thinking Colin Baker is Sylvester McCoy!

I'm reminded of another forum I used to post on where one guy was asking, "Why did the President-elect go to meet the Toclafane?" and the answer they got was, "It happened because Moffat is an idiot!!!! :qq:" and it makes me wonder, how long will it be until people start blaming Chibnall for Moffat's stuff they don't like. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

How on earth is Alex Kingston 55, and where do I get my own supply of Artron Energy? Or do I actually have to go to the gym or something?

It's like how Orla Brady is 57 but she does not look it.

Jerusalem posted:

I hated The Forge and I hated Nimrod, every time they showed up I think I powered a turbine with how much my eyes rolled.

The first Big Finish story I ever listened to* was "No Man's Land" where the twist in the end (sort of - it's not much of a twist) is that the Forge were behind the inciting incident in the plot.

However, you see, this was in 2006, when the main arc of the tv series was the Torchwood storyline in season two, so I assumed they were supposed to link together somehow. I'm not sure if the Forge is especially worse than Torchwood; I guess Torchwood gets to have a more equivocal position compared to the Forge.

* I still remember the first four I ever listened to were "No Man's Land", "Sword of Orion", "Red" and one that I think was more of an official BBC thing called "The Dalek Conquests", which was Nick Briggs narrating the history of the Daleks based on their television appearances with clips from the show. There used to be a BBC shop in Belfast City Centre; it's not there now but the street it used to be on gets loads of foot traffic these days whereas back then it was a bit out of the way.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Oct 11, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's nice that they've picked somewhere other than London.

Disclaimer: I don't really like London very much. It's too noisy, too crowded and too warm for me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
McGann didn't really use his natural accent for the Doctor, though. He mostly goes RP rather than Liverpudlian.

Now, if Craig Charles had played the Doctor...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bringing this thread's discussion full circle, Thirteen regenerates into Billie Piper but she's doing her questionable Belfast accent from Penny Dreadful. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

While I know that Belfast is technically what she was going for, I think it's very unfair to the people of Ulster to imply that they in any way sound like that.

Well, like I mentioned earlier, the character was meant to be from Belfast (though it's very odd indeed that she's also supposed to a Catholic but mentions growing up on the Shankill), but she got her tips for the accent from her friend Nadine Coyle of Girls Aloud... who is from Londonderry. :v:

Edit: Also, we sound much worse.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Trin Tragula posted:

The impenetrability and cultural prominence of the Deep South married to the industrial sensibilities of the Rust Belt

Appalachia?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's in the episode - she put her new outfit together from stuff she found in a charity shop.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Twelve is the ska phase, at least in his original costume. He dressed like he was either going to a ska show or opening one in the mod revival band he played bass guitar in.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hakkesshu posted:

No it's 11. I'm sorry, but bowties are not cool and are pretty much only worn by human refuse IRL.

This favoured neckwear is one of the only things Pee Wee Herman, Winston Churchill, Karl Marx, Orville Redenbacher, Louis Farrakhan and Fred Astaire had in common!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

He looks like someone doing an 8th doctor cosplay, it's weird and not good

He was auditioning for the Fantastic Beasts movie. :v:

docbeard posted:

In addition to it having been a fantastic look for Michelle Gomez, I'm glad they went with the Mary Poppins aesthetic for Missy because it must have been really tempting to do that for the first lady Doctor, and the direction they went is so much better. Yes, it looks a silly, and I love that. It makes her look like a childrens' book character has come to life in the real world, and that's exactly who the Doctor should be.

Sort of a Quentin Blake thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pesky Splinter posted:

Don't mind the weird tooth people becoming recurring villains, if they do something interesting with them, although "Timeless Child"...yeah. No thanks.

It's not very interesting to me. That said, I know one guy from work for whom the merest hint of some Vast Conspiracy Arc With Clues To Theorise About will have completely guaranteed he's on board for the rest of the season. I guess some people just like that stuff even if it doesn't really appeal to me.

I guarantee by the end of tomorrow there'll be a bunch of YouTubes up going "WHO OR WHAT IS DOCTOR WHO'S TIMELESS CHILD?" or "DOCTOR WHO'S TIMELESS CHILD: ALL THE CLUES WE HAVE SO FAR" or "MATT SMITH IN EPISODE 9: IS REY THE TIMELESS CHILD?" I suppose some folks just latch on to that. Like how the mythology in X-Files was always more popular than the monsters of the week while it was running and it's only since it ended that opinions reversed.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pesky Splinter posted:

I mean recurring tooth people, as opposed to vague hints about the Doctor's past and the "Timeless Child". I don't mind an obvious recurring antagonist, or antagonistic species - like you I'm just not invested in yet another Vague Arc of Vagueness.

Right, yeah. I was referring to the "Timeless Child" bit, not the Tim Shaws. Sorry, I ought to have been clearer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought yesterday's episode was fine. Didn't have me tuning out while it was on or anything; there were some episodes in the last couple of Capaldi seasons where my attention waned, which wasn't the case for this one.

Of course, a rating of "Good enough" is usually good enough for me so I may not be a good judge.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

remusclaw posted:

I know the Tardis is supposed to be big and have all sorts of amenities we don't see, but budget issues or whatever means whenever they are just hanging out shooting the poo poo, learning new things, or making important plans, they are doing it in this uncomfortable looking often cramped room

They should go back to the TARDIS swimming pool.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What are we supposed to assume happened after the end of "Oxygen"? They go and put in a complaint to the head office and then... presumably the owner opens a trapdoor under them like Mr Burns or signals to the guards to take them away then gets back to their paperwork?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dabir posted:

the Doctor literally explains what happened afterwards from his historical knowledge

Fair enough. I suppose it doesn't really matter; the future can be whatever they need it to be for the story.