Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm SUPER far behind on Who right now, know very little about how it's fairing

First two episodes were fine, refreshing

Rosa Parks episode I kind of think I hate? Like a lot? Like a loooooot?

The scene in the alley between the two companions was the most genuine thing in the whole episode. Otherwise you have something that basically amounts to "We're going to pat ourselves on the back SUPER HARD" paired with "The only racism to really worry about are the SUPER CARTOON RACISTS"

It both ignores the fact that the day, the time, did not matter. What mattered was the act, which had happened before to lesser degrees, and would absolutely happen after. The villain's entire plan was just stupid and kind of distracting. The fact that the Doctor and crew had to be on the bus to make things happen was mildly insulting, mostly because of the one guy's reaction "I don't want to be here!"

And seriously what the gently caress was up with literally every single character from the past being portrayed as SUPER CARTOON RACIST? Like, one or two, sure. But that waitress shouldn't have been. She should have been presented as just a normal person more annoyed at the group for not being able to read a simple goddamn sign and making her job that much harder than it already is as an underpaid woman working in Alabama, instead of jumping straight on the cartoonish racism train too.

All that does is make people who don't actually care about the message go "Well see how much better WE are now? We're NOTHING like they were"

Also Rosa Parks getting the super inspiring astronauts on the moon music every loving time she does anything made me real annoyed within the first five minutes.

Though honestly mostly I was annoyed with the episode than anything, it had good ideas it was just incompetent as gently caress. Until the goddamn pop song started blaring triumphantly at the WORST time they could have shoved it in, and then they decided to play the episode out on it too

Just, gently caress you episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The thing is, it robs the episode of any power when it's that clear cut.

It just makes the whole thing, coupled with how Rosa is presented and that entire tone deaf ending, come off as the most obnoxious back patting ever for being so much more progressive than 1950s Alabama.

Never mind the fact that even in Alabama in the 50s, you didn't have some one loudly threaten to LYNCH ANOTHER PERSON for the crime of trying to return something. Not publically anyways. By that point the KKK had lost a lot of their power, and racism, unless you were out in the sticks which this very much wasn't, was kept more civilized.

Their racism was the polite kind of racism, not the shouting about hanging you sort.

You know, the kind of racism that the episode really SHOULD have been looking at, because it was the kind that Rosa Parks and all of the movement were actually fighting against. The polite, civilized, societal racism that pervaded 90% of the country.

Yet every single white character we meet in the episode isn't just racist, they're just waiting for a chance to blow up at a black person.

Also people in Alabama knew the difference between what Mexicans and Indian people looked like. That was just a baffling joke. Alabama people ABSOLUTELY knew what Mexican people looked like.

(Because they would beat them or worse, is the joke)

They had such an opportunity with this episode, that they absolutely squandered. I'm still only mostly annoyed with it than anything, but goddamn if that pop song isn't going to stick out in my head as just the dumbest thing

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Earnest is the best thing of the 90s and no one can ever prove otherwise

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Crossposting this from the MST3K thread about the new season

I think my low key favorite gag was a super subtle call back

Before in MST3K, in the Joel era, any Doctor Who reference was either a Dalek joke or a joke about Doctor Who fans and how they were turbo nerds. Which, of course, they were and the writers were too.

Then you get to, I think either Lords or Atlantic Rim, and you have Tom start to make a Doctor Who joke like they used to, putting on a big nerdy voice about if Pertwee or Tom Baker is his favorite Doctor

Jonah just shrugs and says Ecclestone, because Doctor Who is about as main stream nerdy as it gets now and Tom is just offended.

In the time MST3K died and was revived, Doctor Who was reborn as something other than an ultra nerdy PBS kids show and Tom cannot deal

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jodie reminds me a lot of the fifth Doctor

Both in how she's Team Parent and generally really nice but with an edge that is just begging to come out, and in how she's drowned under being those things without that edge ever getting to show up much.

The Fifth Doctor REALLY shined when he got to define himself as a force unto his own, shed his nice image and be forceful and impactful. This rarely ever happened for the poor guy, but is subject to probably his greatest moment in Caves.

So far Jodie hasn't gotten any moments like that in my watch through. Here's hoping she does

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BioEnchanted posted:

Just watched part 2 of The Daleks - I like that the old Daleks are more cunning, less "BLOW EVERYTHING UP IMMEDIATELY" and more manipulating people for their own gain. I especially like that their rays aren't always instant kills, they can partially paralyse as well for tactical use.

This is roughly how the Daleks are until Davros comes back

They're actually an alien race that think and plan (and have dumb plans) up to Genesis of the Daleks. Genesis is their last hurrah before they stop being a coherent thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also I just want to point out that shooting a giant spider would do DICK ALL TO IT

At least with a hand gun and only once.

That fucker died of its preexisting conditions, it didn't die because some one shot it.

I also find it kind of laughable that the Doctor didn't think "How about we round them up on the TARDIS and take them somewhere they could survive"

Instead her entire problem was, let's kill them by...starving them to death? Gassing them? Because that's more humane for the giant spiders?

Seriously shooting a spider that big would, at best, annoy it. Even 1950s shlock knew that much and they ignored square cube law.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

"What are you feelings on women?"
"WOMEN ARE INFERIOR!"
"So you're one of those Men's Right Activi-"
"MEN ARE ALSO INFERIOR! EVERYTHING IS INFERIOR TO THE DALEKS! DALEKS ARE SUPERIOR!"
"What about Davros?"
"..... THAT IS A PRIVATE FAMILY MATTER PLEASE DO NOT INTRUDE."

"Are you an Imperial Dalek or a Renegade?"

"ARE YOU SAYING THAT ALL DALEKS LOOK THE SAME TO YOU!"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Episode five was

Weird

Like it's not bad

It's not. But it's like, it has about four character arcs that... Never get the kind of focus they probably need? But also none of them seem to have anything with enough weight to carry them?

And then there's the monster which really should have just been 'asteroid hosed up the ship, we're in trouble'. Not Nibbler is eating mechanical stuff. The plot of the episode is nothing, the character arcs are weird and kind of confused, the monster is worse than bad, but the Doctor gets some nice moments

Just

Weird

Like the most mundane game of madlibs ever

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also reading up on the thread, YEAH

What the gently caress episode 5 and your lovely adoption bullshit

I was watching the episode with a friend and had even remarked early on 'what's wrong with giving up the kid' before I got distracted and let that complaint be buried in my head because I kept expecting them to make a bad joke out of the whole affair

If it wasn't so unfocused because all of the rest of the meandering bullshit, I'd probably have actively hated that whole subplot WAY more

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Finally, we get to see 13 face something that can, should, and hopefully WILL piss her off

Let's go

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Narsham posted:

RTD. You know, this guy:

I think you're having a stroke

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm real happy her reaction to the Dalek was "Kill it as dead as it possibly could be killed and then KILL IT SOME MORE."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Is there actually currently a dalek fleet to respond to the call? I've lost track of whether they're still around or totally dead forever this time.

There are always Daleks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

RESOLUTION OF THE DALEKS

GOD DAMMIT

Turns out?

It was "Exterminate"