Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rvm
May 6, 2013
So, after dropping the revival after season 7, I finally decided to try some classic Who (other than Unearthly Child which I've already seen).

Randomly decided on the Third Doctor, 'cause I was intrigued by the premise.

Spearheads from space - shower scene, tentacles, wow. Seriously, though, it's great. I bought Pertwee as The Doctor pretty much right away. Classic Autons own, and I'm glad I watched making of after completing the arc, otherwise, I would just feel bad for the suit actors instead of being spooked. 10 / 10.

The Silurians - I get the feeling that the classic Who, if this season is any indication, was way more topical and overtly political than the new Who. The dynamic between Doctor, Brigadier and Liz is great, and supporting cast is amazing. I'm starting to fall in love. 10 / 10.

Ambassadors....

of Death. It keeps exploring similar themes to the previous arc, but in a less compelling way, although Ambassadors themselves are creepier than Silurians. Still can't give it anything less than 9 / 10.

On to Inferno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rvm
May 6, 2013
This season's pilot is baffling, barely coherent rip-off of Predator 2. I liked it.

I had a random thought after completing this episode and the only season she was in (but what a season that was) that Caroline John (Liz Shaw) would make a pretty good Doctor.

rvm fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 9, 2018

rvm
May 6, 2013
I had a Doctor Who heavy week. I caught up with the current season and it's been thoroughly mediocre unfortunately. I get it that the theme of the season that the Doctor encounters symptoms of larger problems that can't be fixed with the sonic screwdriver, psychic paper or even Moment or whatever, I appreciate the radical rejection of "there's no bad tactics, only bad targets", but that doesn't mean that plots have to be so dull and uninspired. Also, the Doctor comes of as a huge hypocrite in Arachnids. First episode was by far the best.

On the other hand, I listened to "Jubilee" and it's really, really good you guys. Shocking, I know. The way Shearman weaves together an unapologetic pulp and a bitter absurdist satire is simply magical. And it was really funny how the twist only really works for the long time Doctor Who fans (who don't pay any attention to the story, obsessed with continuity bullshit), while completely transparent for the newcomers.

"Spare parts", however, was extremely entertaining, but thematically all over the place.

rvm fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 12, 2018

rvm
May 6, 2013
Caught up on seasons 8 and 9 of the revival, and I have a couple of thoughts.

Rachel Talalay is absolutely brilliant. Heaven Sent is the best directed Doctor Who episode (if not the best, period). She really needs to come back.

And, with all his self-indulgence, idiosyncrasies and borderline trolling, I do miss Moffat. The drop in quality between Series 9 (which is uneven, to put it nicely) and 11 is just depressing. Chibnall just doesn't have it.

Jodie Whittaker has way more presence and charisma in her twitter videos than in the actual episodes. I hope they'll let her bring some of it in the New Year's special at least.

rvm
May 6, 2013

2house2fly posted:

There are some problems overall with the politics of the episode, which I think is a sadly necessary consequence of trying to tell that kind of story in this setting (how else are you going to resolve "zygons want to live as themselves among humans on earth" but with "zygons keep on living in human bodies and are basically fine with it") more than anything the writer really thinks. I would guess they worked backwards from the message "the work of peace is never done" (I just realised the comment about how they've done this same thing a bunch of times foreshadows Heaven Sent) and either didn't think too hard or didn't have time to do more with the end result. Anyway, I think the plot in the episodes is generally pretty good, and it's got two Jenna Colemans in

One aspect of Kill The Moon / Zygone two-parter that goes "unappreciated" is that how little trust they put in a general public. In the former their choice is explicitly overridden, while the latter does not offer one at all. Basically, they were co-written by Francis Fukuyama and Sam Harris.

rvm
May 6, 2013

2house2fly posted:

Poor Moffat thinks in terms of fairy tales, and the happy ending in a fairy tale is a wedding, so after Amy and Rory's wedding he kind of didn't know what to do with them and they eventually just sputtered out. That's another way Clara is basically Amy turned inside out, after the resolution of "her story" she got stronger as a character, which is why she's better than them.

Clara is different from Amy and Rory. With Clara Moffat focuses on one of the most interesting themes of sci-fi: what has to change about humanity, so that it not only survives, but reaches out for the stars. Just like Star Trek, for example, it presents various versions of future humanity, usually grotesque. But with Clara and Danny Doctor Who also explores inevitable tragic divide between new and old humanity through the relationship drama culminating in (*deep sigh*) In The Forest Of The Night, where we, along with Danny Pink, with whom we unquestionably identify at this point, are absolutely baffled by Clara's words and actions (and by the script that operates on some insane dream logic).

"Clara... Who?"

It's similar to Strugatsky's Beetle In The Anthill and The Time Wanderers, but Moffat's Season 8 focuses more on human drama than sci-fi concepts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rvm
May 6, 2013

Just this once... everybody dies!