Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

the episode isn’t completely fresh in my mind, but I got the sense the Doctor was just taking the “this moment is important to the web of time” view (which admittedly is an inconsistent story cheat but it’s happened often enough I can’t knock them for using it here) and only the villain was really thinking that changing the moment would undo civil rights (and the Doctor demonstrated repeatedly he was pretty dumb).

I think it’d be funny if he got blasted to the dawn of time and we never hear from him again except maybe in Big Finish or something.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Also it was mentioned previously in this thread but appreciate there was much more palpable menace to the TARDIS team from ordinary white Americans, including a police officer, than there ever was from Krasko.

Doctor Who is usually such an optimistic show about human nature, I feel like part of the positive reaction this episode is already getting is from showing people being viciously nasty without the individuals learning inside the episode how terrible they are (or getting killed in a scheme or by the episode monster) - e.g. society was fundamentally broken and no speech by the Doctor could topple racism in time for the credits, it can only be accomplished by determined risky actions over several lifetimes.

Crusader fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 22, 2018

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

it does feel like classic who like no other revival season has so far, at least for me and with the single episode story constraint; obviously lots of factors in that though

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

severe whiplash between this episode and Oxygen, yeesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

what was the last pure historical btw? does the crimson horror count since the monster was technically not an alien?