Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That was wonderful!

It dragged a bit, but it's a regeneration episode. Jodie was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'll get used to it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tiggum posted:

I hope the alien not reacting to her identity at all is an indication that that's the way they're going. The Doctor being this legendary figure across time and space was super dumb and I hated it.
I loved it a lot, and eleven's run was wonderful, but we did it, and it's done and I'm done with it. They sort of dropped it when twelve showed up and if they get rid of it completely, that's perfectly fine with me. It was a story worth telling and it's been told.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Like New York and the entire New England area, you have too many accents for how small you are.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CobiWann posted:

Be glad it's not a Pittsburgh accent. Apparently we never use the words "to be" when describing an action.

"The laundry needs done."
"The car needs washed (warshed)."
"The baby needs vaccinated."
"Or not!"
This always cheeses me off, because it's either the laundry needs to be done, or the laundry needs doing. It's a mixture of active and passive and it makes my brain goblins displeased.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wolfechu posted:

The fact that her pockets are completely empty in the same episode that she's lost the TARDIS just reinforces my belief that the doctor's pockets are linked up to a catch-all "pockets room" on the ship.
It would explain where they got the cup of tea.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

corn in the bible posted:

he's actually the high school nerd who thinks listening to led zeppelin makes him smarter than everyone else
You stop reading my diary!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Okay, so, the idea of each Doctor having their own theme music was only introduced with Eleven. I am the Doctor is so amazing. I love it so much. Twelve's theme, Good Man, was great too. Nine and Ten shared a theme. All choir ahs. But it was a theme for the both of them and the fact that they shared it always felt to me like they'd had there own if things went more as expected.

There is no evidence, now that Murray Gold is gone, that Thirteen will have a theme at all.

But if it's the music that played when they made their sonic, I am gonna' be so pumped. I would love to hear that every time they solve a problem at the climax.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There's just so much amber in the new art direction. The sonic and the Tardis both. All amber and crystals.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

The show really copped out with that, the idea of a war criminal doctor was one of RTD's few good ideas and they backpedaled away from it so hard
When all of sci-fi, post 9-11 started asking "what if the morally unimpeachable characters had to do terrible things," I was actually quite relieved that the story of the war doctor ended with "no, you can find a way to do the right thing."

Deep Space Nine is my favorite Star Trek and it wrestles with those questions too, but Pale Moonlight aside, it also answers the "what if Star Trek couldn't solve problems the Star Trek way" with "gently caress you, we're still solving poo poo the Star Trek way."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Imagine being the Daleks. You've fought some mind-bending insane time war with a bunch of old assholes who have been running poo poo in the universe for 10 million years and you're WINNING, and it's down to the final moments and you've loving won forever and it's over and ultimate victory is finally yours.... and then all 12* Doctors show up and you just KNOW that they're gonna pull some bullshit :xd:

* No sir.....
There was a time when my dad was dying that I watched Day of the Doctor every single night for like two months, and this scene still gives me goosebumps.

What's this about two sevenths? I never noticed.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

All part of his chessmaster plan :smug:
*Twirls umbrella and strolls away from the chaos*

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

We'll never get a secret new Doctor reveal ever. There's too much promotional value in it for them to let it just happen as part of a story without anyone knowing in advance. Which is a real shame.
I feel like it's more likely they know it'll leak if they ever try to keep it secret, so they might as well be the ones to break the story and promote the show in the process.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Everybody saying the writing was heavy-handed about the racism has never met a racist white southerner. If anything, it was subdued.

I like the new Tardis interior a lot more with blue lighting behind the round things than the full-on amber lighting we had last week.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nodosaur posted:

The villain did not need to be "fleshed out". He is very, very, very real portrayal of people that very much exist.
People who've never met one, despite how common they are, refuse to believe that they exist, and are quite common.

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I had an experience recently where I called the guy sending bombs to a bunch of prominent black people in Austin a terrorist on my Facebook feed and my mom showed up to say "he wasn't a terrorist," and "how do you know he was racially motivated?"

He was bombing black people to spread terror.

I kept asking her, "why are you showing up to defend a terrorist bomber?" and she just kept saying "there's no proof this is about race."

People go so incredibly far out of their way to say that things aren't racist that they'll defend even the most cartoonishly evil things to prove that white people can't be racist ever. Things that happen in real life where if you put them in a screenplay in a writing class, your professor would be like, "isn't this a little too on the nose? Maybe be more subtle with it."

So it comes as absolutely no shock to me that there was an entire contingent of people who saw the episode about the racist time traveler and said, "surely there's more to his motivations than just being racist. Let's theorycraft!" And then she show came out and said "no, you knobs. He's just racist." And that's seen by some as disappointing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

Pretending that racism just ~vanishes~ over time is a neoliberal end-of-history fantasy that only hurts antiracist activism. Better to acknowledge, face, and denounce the evils that fester and recur in humanity than pretend those forms of hate will just fade away.
:golfclap:

There's this moment in Hidden Figures where Kevin Costner's character personally knocks down the signs declaring the bathrooms at NASA as for whites only. Not only did this not happen even a little in real life, it epitomized how we view racism in America.

It's something bad people did a long time ago that white people solved, so nonwhite people should be thankful to us for being so benevolent and amazing and awesome.

If you keep this in mind when listening to most white people talking about race, it aligns perfectly. "Why are you still whining about this? We solved it so long ago. Why can't you just be thankful for what we did?"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'mma get a little personal, but I was raised by racist-as-gently caress parents who never came to terms with their own poo poo, so I had to deprogram a lot of it, and I gotta' tell ya': just admitting that racism exists and realizing nobody was saying it was my fault, but that I could be a participant in it, but didn't have to be, unclenched my metaphorical anus by like 30%.

It's funny as gently caress how being a lot more relaxed on the topic enabled me to talk about it when I see it, but people's perception of me was that I'd suddenly become very uptight when the opposite was very much the case.

I wasn't walking around clenched-up and defensive about it anymore, and could engage with the topic when it came up, but talking about it always leads to somebody both-sidesing racist poo poo and antiracist poo poo and because it's still uncomfortable for a lot of people to talk about, that narrative tends to favor never talking about it or calling it out.

Don't talk about racism, even when you see it, because if you do, you're part of the problem. Because we solved it so long ago and you're just being a drama queen.

The next step is for a shitload of people to chime in talking about how annoying it is that this has become the discussion, when they wanted to talk about something else. Then, the both-sides-ism dissipates in favor of people talking about how racism is bad are the real problem. Which is responded to with a degree of anger, because how could it not be, when the subject is racism.

Followed by somebody posting "nice meltdown," followed by somebody posting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYTc55nGEI

I'm thankful that one thing has changed: back in the day, here, they'd ban users on one side of the argument, but not the other, which is absolutely picking a side. That seems to have subsided quite a lot in recent years.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Dreamt that they cast Craig Ferguson as the next Doctor after Jodie and man, that would be the best.
I'm still incredibly disappointed he never had a cameo when Fuckity Bye was The Doctor.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

adhuin posted:

For those who miss Missy, Michelle Gomez is a regular on a new netflix series Chilling Adventures of Sabrina:

EDIT: And she's hamming it up spectacularly!
SOLD!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So, so, so awesome. My heart is melting.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Episode was alright, but all the anti-adoption, keep the baby stuff was really gross.

Media is remarkably lovely to people who're adopted. Like they were all given up because their parents didn't love them enough. A friend of mine is adopted and once it's pointed out, you can't help but see it everywhere.

It's right up there with the don't take your meds episode as missing the mark on a moral lesson so completely that it kinda' ruins the episode for me.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

How the gently caress do you run out of Sherlock Holmes stories? It's a goddamn adaptation!

God, that show wasted all of its potential.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SiKboy posted:

Okay, that was hands down the best episode of the season. Its not even close.
Agreed. Firing on all cylinders now.

I'll tell you somethin' else I appreciated is that movies and television have this incredibly racist way of color-grading a ton of countries to look gross. Lost did it with every scene that took place in Iraq or Africa, and Breaking Bad does it with Mexico. poo poo, among color-graders, it's literally called "The Mexico Filter," and it drives me nuts. This episode didn't use it once.

Imagine that. Other countries have green plant life and the sky isn't loving brown.

It evokes this whole "THIS ISN'T LIKE WHERE YOU, THE NORMAL PEOPLE ARE FROM" mood that just puts me right off.

Also, I kinda' miss the feeling of building to a big finale. This has been the most self-contained season of the entire run of Doctor Who, I reckon, since it's the most self-contained of the revival and the old show was all serials building to individual climaxes. Since I came on board after the revival, I'm used to the show being about The Doctor as much as it's about having fun through space and time, and given this being her first run of episodes as a woman, I was just as excited to explore that as I was worried that it would be played all wrong and made into a joke. So while I'm way into how the position taken is "She's the Doctor. Moving on" the whole thing is, I miss The Doctor growing and changing episode-to-episode.

That being said, my feelings on this might change considerably. Agents of Shield had a terrible first half-season that upon re-watching once you've actually gotten to know the characters, reads quite differently and becomes retroactively pretty alright, because you're hanging out with the television pals you know and love and not just watching random new people do whatever. Once you get a sense of their character, the earlier, weaker episodes become more interesting.

Retroblique posted:

I really need to stop following the official Doctor Who page on Facebook, because within seconds of the episode finishing the usual band of muppets swarm all over the latest post, hitting the "angry" button, moaning about SJW agendas, how politics has no place in science-fiction, and how Doctor Who is now so terrible they didn't even watch the episode anyway. I miss the internet of the early/mid-90s, before the mentally ill got hold of it.
That internet never existed. You can go back to BBS logs and Usenet archives and see that racist shitbags were making GBS threads up Star Trek topics from the start.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Somebody on Twitter pointed out that twelve didn't think a black man could be a math teacher and just... wow, yeah, that's pretty gross.

His negging on Clara's looks the whole season bothered me in the moment, but this one whizzed right by and I didn't notice how :stare: it is.

I liked him a lot better in his second and third series.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I mean, it really doesn't matter if it was on purpose. Somebody in the production should've caught it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edward Mass posted:

I guess the lack of a returning villain so far this series is kind of getting me a bit chapped. Unless a Cyberman shows up out of nowhere, we're looking at the first time a new Doctor's first season goes by without a returning villain since 1970.
Don't they have to show a Dalek once per season or they lose the rights to the Daleks or some such nonsense?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

super cool how this episode stans hard for a megacorporation
Yeah, that was pretty gross.

I've long hoped sci-fi would stop being so phobic about technology and science and progress, so the robots and automation being a good thing was fine, but the lesson we learned in the end was... make your company 51% people who shouldn't have to work to begin with, were capitalism not running amok?

What a mess. Right up there with Don't Adopt, and Don't Take Your Pills as just missing the mark so utterly.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

happyhippy posted:

So what's the Tardis' postal address then.
And to deliver to a time machine, you need time travel detection to detect where to go and time teleportation to it.
Meaning the robots were Tardises themselves.
So the Kerblam company is just as powerful as Gallifrey.
Just without the heavy robes and headgear.
I imagine since it took two full regenerations for the package to arrive, this is the first time The Doctor has been back to this time period since placing the order.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Absolutely my favorite non-TV movie Tardis. They really nailed it. Thirteen's is suuuuuuuuch a step down from that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Best of the series and it wasn't close.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Astroman posted:

It's fine that you SJW types want to talk about representation and the blind Norway actress or whatever, but your callous racism is plainly revealed when I see that nobody here has mentioned that the Frog-Universe was not played by an actual frog!

There are plenty of hardworking frog actors out there so sayng "you can't find one in the UK" in 2018 is gross.

It's insulting that they gave this role to CGI and denied true amphibic representation!

If I were British I would be writing a sternly worded letter to the BBC and demanding a refund of my license fee! :colbert:

:frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog:
It never ceases to amaze me that this joke — taking reasonable expectations and conflating them with ridiculous exaggerations like identifying as an attack helicopter — is like, the only joke the anti-pc crowd knows.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jodie is absolutely wonderful as The Doctor, and Graham is a super fun character, but I'm not fond of this Chibnall fellow. Going through the revival series, Doctor Who always felt ambitious. It'd fall flat on its face sometimes, but at least it was trying. I'm even the rare sort who enjoyed the hell out of Matt's second season even if the third was blah. But it was doing something.

This is just kinda'... there. It's fine. I'll keep watching. But it feels like we're on cruise control.

Edit: Also, play 13's theme when she's being clever at the episode's climax, you cowards! :mad:

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 10, 2018

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It never ceases to amaze me how willing gay men are willing to throw us under the bus. Last on the life raft. Plenty of room? Nope. Nope. Shove off. I'm on. Problem's solved.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

All cliques are the same. They only care about the well being of their own group.
In theory, we're all supposed to be in the same clique. Queer folks, I mean.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CityMidnightJunky posted:

He's right though.
Speaking as a trans person, kindly go gently caress all the way off with this take.

"Shut up and let the rest of us do the talking about the real issues, person consistently marginalized by society" is not the grand leadership you think it is.

This happens every time. The civil rights movement, the disabilities act, gay marriage. It's a weapon hateful people use to make fighting for a better future sound selfish, and people buy it every loving time it happens.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I call those kinds of gay dudes who are Gatis' age First Wave Gay. The ones who were around during the first big push to decriminalize and destigmatize homosexuality.

They're like, "everybody else shut up and let us get ourselves accepted by middle America and then you can all have your turn." They're usually pretty misogynistic, too.

There's a kind of logic to it, is what sucks. If your whole life, you're told that being gay is horribly wrong and then suddenly you're supposed to accept gay men, lesbians, bisexuals, and oh, holy poo poo, now there's also trans people and genderfluidity and OH GOD OH GOD gently caress ALL OF THIS CHANGE! TOO MUCH AT ONCE! First Wave Gay dudes can't really see anything beyond that reaction.

They think by throwing us under the bus, they're increasing the likelihood that we'll get accepted later, but oh poo poo, what a coincidence that they get to go first.

Also, gently caress yeah, Rusty for shutting LeVine the gently caress down. That was great.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Is there a reason aside from scheduling woes why we don't get multi-doctor stories outside of big anniversaries?

I just want to see how Twelve and Thirteen would interact with Ten and Eleven. Hell, throw Eight in there for good measure.

Seriously, though, while getting everybody would be impossible since they're all working actors, you'd think scheduling one for an episode a year in advance would be doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

corn in the bible posted:

Donna is the best New Who companion
I love Amy and Bill so, so much, and Nardole and Graham are wonderful, but Donna is great, so I'll say I agree if we get to include Wilf as part of the package.