Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

quote:

cant wait for the 27th doctor, played by a friendly german shepard named trotsky

e: watched the ambassadors.... OF DEATH. what a boring adventure for everyone involved

Why did we have to end the last thread with the worst post in it, two terrible opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Counter to the guy earlier who said that this wasn't designed for new viewers, I disagree entirely. It was an hour long primer into the way Doctor Who works - weird stuff, conversations with a villain, working together, not killing if at all possible, improvising, etc. Did it introduce any of the lore?

No. Which is a positive.

I thought it tacked that stuff onto a very mundane episode, though. There were a few good moments (I liked the Doctor getting the relationship between the two things completely wrong, and then saying that she got it wrong, as an example of something we haven't seen much of recently) but all in all it was a mediocre version of Predator 2 with some cliches piled on top (that security guy had one day until retirement :mad: ).

The cliffhanger was great, mind.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

I wonder if it will take place in D.C., New York, or the dessert

Cheesecake Factory it is!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Entropic posted:

the intro episodes are usually pretty good

This is the strangest opinion in the thread

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

He also was under the impression the show was aimed primarily at children, which is why his season 1 performance is so over the top.

Boak directing most of his episodes probably didn't help

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And a north yorkshire one

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

SimplyCosmic posted:

I had a weird flashback to The Keys of Marinus with this episode, including a deadly lake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o558CLSNI4w

I thought this as well

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

the dude called Bradley Walsh the Jar Jar Binks of Doctor Who, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he was saying.

Lawrence Miles is a massive prequels fan

(also can we stop calling him Mad Larry, given he's tweeted about his problems with mental health on many occasions so it seems a bit crass)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Clouseau posted:

Ahh yeah absolutely. I haven’t kept up with him since his lengthy anti-Moffat blog posts.

Also I very nearly have the same name

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I thought the actual covering of the topic was about as good as it could have been, as for the actual plot - I dunno, it felt a bit video gamey/looney toons to have the guy just appear with another problem every couple of minutes in the final sequence. I'm not sure how it could have been done better, though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pesky Splinter posted:

There are some nice shots in this - would be nice if they could pull the camera back a bit more though - best example is the TARDIS interior, which is huge, but the coverage makes it seem so claustrophobic.

It's huge, but the actual features of it are all crammed into the middle

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's a family show dealing with an issue it's pretty super important to make sure people "get", and which many people won't have engaged with in the past.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

dirksteadfast posted:

I just wanted to say that I’m so relieved the 13th Doctor doesn’t know everything. I’m sure my memory is exaggerating, but so much of Capaldi’s Doctor felt like:

This is a revival characteristic in general, that great scene in AoL/WW3 notwithstanding.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Unkempt posted:

I thought ending it on the asteroid was pretty weird. I mean, it's nice she's got one named after her but so does Dr Drew, every member of Monty Python and this Belgian weatherman for some reason.

It's a cool sci fi touch, that anyone can get an asteroid named anything by paying for it is neither here nor there - it's nice that people can be recognised for their accomplishments rather than the traditional They Were Rich

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Mostly unrelated, but I just remembered that when test audiences watched Good Night and Good Luck, they said they loved the film but were irritated at the actor who played Joseph McCarthy, because he played the guy like a deranged cartoon lunatic and his dialogue was so ridiculous and insane that it was clear the writer had an axe to grind.

(This is an urban legend)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I've seen a handful of offhand remarks saying it happened (in people far away from the production, like this) and a few closer sources saying it didn't (although they did want to know who the actor was) :shrug:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I'm a zoology researcher, everything in this episode is SCIENTIFIC FACT

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Mr Beens posted:

On reflection there is one thing I am confused about.
What was it that "not Trump" was trying to get his assistant/niece in law to finish that she couldn't possibly get done in time (that he needed to be all secretive about and fired Yaz's mum for showing up) - she taped some sort of confession before she got spidered in the tunnel but they didn't know about the spiders at the time.

The toxic waste dumped there would have made the hotel uninhabitable.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I mean I'm perfectly fine with a full on fantasy episode but at some points this episode felt like they were trying to put science where it doesn't belong.

Counterpoint: good science is about testing the limits of what's possible, not just going "you can't do that".

Jerusalem posted:

Which in turn are different from Metebelis 3 Eight-Legs, which are Alien Spiders (and also assholes).

THEY ARE NOT :mad:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

uvar posted:

Are the bags of recyclables in Yas' family's apartment meant to be part of the "dodgy trash company" plot, or something to explore in the future? (Two episodes about Sheffield being secretly full of trash seems a little harsh.)

It's explicitly part of it

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Oh, we had one of those in Nottingham!

All filled in now and has been for years, but it still weirds me out a bit that I frequently drive over a long buried newsagents kiosk.

We have one of those in Cambridge!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

A) swept off without knowing that's what's gonna happen (see: Ian and Barbara for the earliest examples)

Katarina :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

sunnyboy posted:

But until this new season I can say I've NEVER fast-forwarded through an episode on the first watching. Until the Rosa Parks one. It was just too poorly paced and way too preachy.

There was more happening in basically any five minute stretch of Rosa than happened in the entirety of some episodes of the original run.

(And, I would argue, if you found it preachy you deserved to be preached at)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Decius posted:

Finding an anti-racism episode done really, really clumsy doesn't make you a racist. It makes you someone who would like anti-racist episodes done better. Seeing something done badly as below par doesn't mean you disagree with the message, but with the implementation.

I'm not saying you, or they, are racist - but I am saying that you, and they, are sticking your heads in the sand as to how blunt you need to be to actually get the point across.

Look at Get Out, about as in your face about racism as it's possible to be, and yet:

An Oscar voter posted:

[W]hat bothered me...was that instead of focusing on the fact that this was an entertaining little horror movie that made quite a bit of money, they started trying to suggest it had deeper meaning than it does, and, as far as I’m concerned, they played the race card, and that really turned me off.

(Grabbed from wikipedia).

People have been deported, denied vital medical care, made homeless, made stateless, because of the colour of their skin in the UK under the current government (topically, the person who "took the fall" for one part of this has just been redeemed by a whitewashed inquiry, sixth months to the day on from her resigning), and people were doing everything they could to say that it wasn't actually something that counts as racism.

Blunt is necessary, not a failing.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 2, 2018

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

No, but I kind of liked him being zapped back into the stone age, and I liked that it was Ryan who did it.

And then he teaches the cave men scrabble

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

SiKboy posted:

This is going better than the last time the Doctor was taken to a hospital.

Yeah, New Earth is terrible

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah that was neat and (presumably) educational!

It was about as accurate as the info on spiders (viz: about half ok, two thirds if kind) but in a single infodump rather than spread throughout the episode.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3eNGidwaz4

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

That was really good.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

NowonSA posted:

So far I haven't been blown away by this season. Jodie's awesome, but the episodes around her haven't really sucked me in. I was a complete fan of 11, Amy, and Rory with all the convoluted multi-episode storylines and River Songing and all of it, so I guess I'm missing that dynamic. Or to put it in 12's terms nobody is saying Hybrid every episode.

Look Steven you chose to step down let Chris run it his way

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Also, this episode seems like the Doctor and crew being there had no effect. If they didn't show up, this episode would have ended the same way.

This happens in a lot of historicals, and stories in general, and I think it was done well here.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Grouchio posted:

Great to hear. I was withholding judgement on watching this season until I knew for a fact that with Whittaker they weren't going to go the Ghostbusters 2016 route.

I dunno, I'm pretty sure they have gone the route of being hated by manchildren

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Grouchio posted:

Well I had no way of knowing that when the director and cast got announced. He wrote the Cyberwoman. :colbert:

I didn't realise that Cyberwoman was a semi-improvised comedy.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

RTD didn't write scripts resembling SNL skits, so uh maybe examine your own reasons to be worried if you don't think "reboot with a LADY" had anything to do with it

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

I guess the lack of a returning villain so far this series is kind of getting me a bit chapped. Unless a Cyberman shows up out of nowhere, we're looking at the first time a new Doctor's first season goes by without a returning villain since 1970.

First full series (Twin Dilemma was on its own). Plus I don't think The Rani really counts...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Forktoss posted:

I think this might also be the first season without any returning characters (other than the Doctor) from previous seasons since... Key to Time, maybe?

If we're talking returning villains, then you also get series 13 (Pyramids of Mars et al), 7 (Pertwee's first), and, uh, 1. Returning characters at all rules out 13 and 7 (Brigadier for a start).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's a fair point although I guess I don't mind so much because I don't think "silly sci-fi show for kids" is an intrinsically bad thing. For instance, Demon Headmaster is a silly sci-fi show for kids and it's potentially one of the best television programmes (for kids or otherwise) ever created. :shrug:

If anything, RTD's programming explicitly for children is more serious and "adult" than his adult or family output. If you want a vision of Old Doctor Who made by Rusty then Century Falls is basically it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

On top of everything else, Pete McTighe doesn't understand how numbers work. "10% of faux-Amazon's workforce is human, because you need at least 10% of your employees to be human" is not the same as "90% of humans are unemployed".

Orv posted:

This feels especially badly timed though presumably they didn't know about the whole "Oh Amazon... sucks?" five-second-then-forgotten revolution going on on the internet right now from fourteen months out so they can't be entirely blamed for it.

Time had an article about "A History of Amazon Boycotts" in 2014, I don't think you're quite as on the pulse of this one as you think you are.

Astroman posted:

Agreed. Lots of FULL COMMUNISM NOW people ITT getting pissed off that Doctor Who isn't slavishly advancing their agenda. But you all never use Amazon or Google or Apple, right? Not everyone who is "For The Workers" is a good guy and yeah, they can use unconscionable methods.

The Corporation wasn't evil here because it was 2 humans and a computer. The computer wasn't evil and the Doctor was very consistent in her belief that robots and AIs are people too and assuming they are always out to KILL ALL HUMANS is wrong. The HR lady was literally what she said she was--a nice person who believed in people who didn't know what was going on. The manager was a small time jerk who did the right thing when it came down to it and seemed to take the Doctor's admonitions to be better to heart.

That you think that overseeing horrific working practices is actually Good because they're not literally murdering (many) people is quite the insight into your worldview.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 19, 2018

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ewe2 posted:

Another one is The Sun Makers, where humans took orders and implemented a murderous corporate regime from a piece of seaweed masquerading as a humanoid. The revolutionarys are ineffective working-class brutes who clearly need the help of their betters with the Doctor as catalyst to action. Their bloody revolution is allowed to succeed just in time for the Doctor to unmask the seaweed and they all lived happily ever after.

The absolute cynicism of this tale along with a barely-concealed class snobbery is difficult to top but at least for once Leela got a good storyline. Nevertheless, the strong hint that humanity was doomed without the Doctor's help lingers over the plot. The processes of control, bureaucratic as well as technological are no less awful for being limited to the imagination of the 1970s than those of the current crop, so in that sense nothing has changed except the props and the cultural references. It doesn't bother with social progress because it doesn't believe in the concept. But at least the revolution came, right?

It's kind of an accidental pro-revolution story, given it's mostly about how Bob Holmes hated the Inland Revenue.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

It tried. Those darn humans got in the way!

Poor planning on its part really, everybody knows that Julie Hesmondhalgh will decapitate anything that gets within 3 feet of her given half the chance.

It sent the "HELP" thing previously and knew very well what was going on so????

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TinTower posted:

"Rise of the Cybermen" is currently on Drama and I forgot how funny Trigger was when he was full-on chewing the scenery.

SKIN

OF METAL!

and a body that will never age or die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

And how will you tell them... from BEYOND THE GRAVE?!

The guy not understanding what that expression meant was one of the strangest things of the RTD run