Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Apropos of nothing. At one time, we had 13 episodes a year plus a Christmas special, although that schedule did need them to double up and record two episodes at the same time. Now we have 10 plus a Christmas special. Is this worth being slightly concerned about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Good start. The music is everything I've been hoping for for ten years, the theme remix is outstanding, and were those out-of-focus howlaround-style graphics I saw behind the closing credits? It feels fresh in a way it hasn't done for a long time, it's a real Troughton-to-Pertwee moment.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

Apparently it's a version made for young adults. There's some gore (when they find the body in the garage) and Grace's fall and impact are shown. Etc.

it's a programme for :siren: YOUNG ADULTS :siren: made by :siren: YOUNG ADULTS :siren:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ojr40

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

So, this is honestly the first time I've seen anything set in Sheffield. Like I honestly cannot remember it ever being in a movie or a show or whatnot. I've seen Norwich more than that. Isn't Depeche Mode from there?

:eng101: The Full Monty (watch it) and When Saturday Comes (don't bother unless, like Sean Bean, you love a gallon of Magnet and a greasy chip butty)

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

HD DAD posted:

A Yorkshire accent would be the American cultural equivalent of what...Tennessee?

The impenetrability and cultural prominence of the Deep South married to the industrial sensibilities of the Rust Belt

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Appalachia?

Not Appalachia, though; they're not that insular or remote, and they don't come down from the hills. If you made a British Deliverance, it wouldn't be in Yorkshire. The closest thing I can think of is The Wicker Man, which is set on a remote Scottish island.

vvv The thing about Deliverance of course is that it trades on this feeling of being absolutely in the middle of nowhere, it's barely civilised, no help for days or weeks around, that's all but impossible to replicate with something set here because we're such a tiny little island compared to the USA vvv

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 12, 2018

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

We already got the ValeyardDream Lord!

If you had any more tawdry quirks, you could open up a tawdry quirk shop :rolleyes:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I thought the actual covering of the topic was about as good as it could have been, as for the actual plot - I dunno, it felt a bit video gamey/looney toons to have the guy just appear with another problem every couple of minutes in the final sequence. I'm not sure how it could have been done better, though.

"But you see, Doctor, *I* went back in time just slightly further...and I bribed the architect first!!!"

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, no mention of Cracker that I can see, which I'm fairly sure was his big breakthrough role.

Cracker is second-to-last on the TV list, before Sarah Silverman

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Mr Beens posted:

When the guy pulled the gun on Yaz it annoyed me that she didn't say she was a police officer.

I too enjoy giving strange people who have me at gunpoint a ready-made reason to pull the trigger

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Loved it. I'll be interested to see if it stands up in a few years, it's not perfect, but that's the most I've enjoyed the show in ages and ages. People to give a poo poo about!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

In my mind it's weird to abandon the long form narrative structure that basically defined the show for decades - like you don't have to do it often, but I think the show loses something when every single episode is a one and done affair.

There's a reason that in days of yore, Doctor Who fans used to talk very earnestly about Part Three Syndrome; in which a story which has been rattling along very nicely for 50 minutes and will be done in about 75 comes to a screeching halt in Part Three, while everyone runs up and down corridors and escapes and gets recaptured and nothing of importance happens, because your nice little 75-minute story has to be on air for 90 minutes. 90 minutes is a *lot* of time, that's feature-film length (or at least it used to be before running time inflation went mad).

If I were ever in charge, what I'd do is experiment with getting people to write a batch of 60-to-80-minute stories and then strip them across the total available running time. Episode 1 is the first 45 minutes of Story A, then you have a cliffhanger; then the first 15 minutes of Episode 2 finishes Story A and starts Story B, with a cliffhanger after 30 minutes of Story B; then the whole of Episode 3 is the end of Story B; then you start Story C to begin Episode 4, and so on. It's probably a complete production nightmare, but I'd love to see it tried.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Best thing they've done in years. More writers like this one please, Chibbers.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Shame they shied away from either really giving Amazon's warehouse conditions both barrels, or dealing more in depth with the idea that humans need to do "work" to give their lives meaning after having raised it, but it'll still be nudging the kiddies to think about those things and what they think about them. That's three absolute crackers on the spin now.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Revelation of the Daleks doesn't stop being great because the Doctor brainfarts at the end and leaves Lilt and Takis in charge of Tranquil Repose

Necrothatcher posted:

But like, why on earth would you tell this story now, in this economic climate?

this just in: not everybody sees the world in exactly the same way you do

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

morally reprehensible

I sure am glad that my perfectly-calibrated Reprehensible-O-Meter (TM) (C) (patent applied for) read a perfect 11* when I switched it on and pointed it at this episode

*there are only two points on the readout, 0 and 11

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

SMH if it takes you less than 24 hours to get over Alan Cumming putting in one of the all-time best-ever scenery-chewings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

So much a thing that the originals have been taken down from Youtube and you have to go somewhere else to find them

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5icslv