Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Your Taint posted:

Q looking ok.

They are hitting him pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Good lord they are hitting Q hard

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

Saw the Brewers scored a single run and came to see how many fatalistic Cubs fans declared game over

We've seen the Cubs offense the past few months

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

SourKraut posted:

Great job putting Quintana out there in a decision-deciding game. Glad we gave up so much for him...

Eloy Jimenez would probably be the best hitter on this team right now

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Tune out Joe and Chili. Go back to hitting bombs.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

There seem to be a lot of Brewers fans at Wrigley.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Chacin going to no-hit the Cubs :lol:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DrPossum posted:

Holy poo poo ESPN announcers are loving hot garbage

I like how they made a big deal about how deep the Cubs lineup was because Contreras hits 9th. Ignoring the fact that Contreras has been one of the worst hitters in baseball the past couple months.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Niwrad posted:

Niwrad posted:

Niwrad posted:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

Maddon is pulling Q way too early here.

Kind of feel this way too. It wasn't a bad pitch to Yelich.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Who could have foreseen Chavez becoming this team's most reliable bullpen arm?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

I was a little surprised at pulling Q early, but I think I'm fine with it. I'll take 5 innings with 1 run and not push my luck, especially considering the Brewers got some good swings in on him

Yeah I guess I could go both ways on it. On one hand you don't want to burn your pen if you have to play tomorrow (and the offense hasn't exactly looked competitive so that feels likely). On the other they had 3 righties coming up in the middle of the order.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Good lord Contreras sucks

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Chili got his contact though

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

He was supposed to be a 30 HR threat. I think Chili Davis broke him.

Say this about half the lineup

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Hoping Brewers strategy of using the White Sox bullpen does not pay off

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Brewers are going to win this without having to use a good bullpen arm

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

No. He just swings way too hard in big moments.

Swinging hard and hitting dingers is in fact good

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This offense

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

La Stella is not a good hitter :lol: why do announcers keep thinking he is?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

La Stella has an 87 wRC+ and every announcer creams themselves when he pinch hits

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Burn your entire bullpen Joe in a game your team ain't scoring another run in

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

Why are you burning your only good relief pitcher before the wild card game

Joe is poo poo

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kirios posted:

Joe Maddon deserves all of this.

He fired his hitting coach because the guy wanted hitters to hit dingers and hired a guy who wants the ball on the ground and hit the opposite way.

Honestly, the offensive collapse for this team and the massive regression of almost every young player is what they deserve for their stupidity.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Chili Davis was the hitting coach for the Red Sox in 2017 and the hitting coach for the Cubs in 2018. :lol:

https://twitter.com/jasoncollette/status/1046740185751461888

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Thom P. Tiers posted:

If that stolen base attempt was Counsell he should be fired lmao. If it was on Braun then he should be cut. Zero reason for it.

Obviously joking here but holy poo poo what a bad call.

I don't know. Hit and run to stay out of the double play isn't a bad decision when the pitcher is not known for missing bats.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

My favorite recent Cubs move was when Bryant was hitting like an MVP they made a huge effort to get him to hit the ball the opposite way because they were scared of the shift. Now he doesn't hit for any power and hosed up his shoulder.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I'm going to go full nerd here and tell you that the run expectancy would have went up a whole 0.2 runs if Braun stole that base. It dropped almost a full run because he got caught. Braun is not a good base stealer... sooo probably don't run there.

If it was indeed a double steal that's fully on Counsell and he's been known for goofy poo poo like that ever since he got there and it works a lot of the time so whatever I guess.

I thought it was a hit and run? I agree a steal is dumb but a hit and run isn't bad when the pitcher doesn't have good stuff.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

beejay posted:

Things that baseball teams definitely do: Fire their manager after these 4 seasons:

97-65 3rd div lost NLCS
103-58 1st div won World Series
92-70 1st div lost NLCS
95-67 2nd div made playoffs

They aren't going to fire him and I don't know if there is a better option. But almost all their young guys have regressed. Their offense which was once one of the best in baseball has cratered to bottom tier.

And remember that Joe got bailed out by the Ricketts having big pockets to bring in Hamels and Murphy who other teams didn't want to touch financially. They don't make those moves and they don't even make the playoffs.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Rand Ecliptic posted:

Fire Chili Davis.

Worked for the Red Sox.

Joe won't admit being wrong though. And he seems to be on an anti-analytics kick of late.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

What a choke job

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

Tfw the window is shut

Almost every young player hilariously regressed or beat their wife and one of their only good hitters this season is 37.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It's not even doom and gloom. The Cubs have literally had one of the worst offenses in baseball in the 2nd half. I mean maybe Lester pitches a gem and they win tomorrow but does anyone think they're going far with such a terrible offense that can't hit for power anymore?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dodger Stadium seats 15,000 more than Wrigley.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Question, when Dahl went into the stands, shouldn't that have been out of play and the runner given an extra base? I genuinely don't know the rule on that but I thought if your entire body went out of play it was considered out of play.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Yes, and that's why Machado was signaling it to the ump at second when he pulled in

So why didn't Machado get third?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Joe will yank Lester in the middle of a perfect game so he can get La Stella a pinch hit at-bat and the Cubs will blow the 1-0 lead they gained on a Baez solo homer.

• Locked thread