Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Rhyno posted:

They accepted our offer! Rhyno gonna own a house!

That's awesome. My partner and I were knee-deep in the process of house-hunting when her parked car got entirely totalled by a drunk guy careening the wrong way up our street, which put the house thing on the backburner, so I know what an ordeal even the early parts of the process are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
CANNON

Wallace Wood

Programmed to be the perfect assassin and working as a covert operative, John Cannon, endures nude torture by beautiful women, explosive gunplay, naked catfights, Hitler, nihilistic love-making, nuclear bombs, weasel the spy, and more naked women in these comic adventures. Includes Overseas Weekly, Heroes Inc., and others. In B&W.

Is Wallace Wood Wally Wood?
And could this be any good?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s Wally wood and the art is good. I haven’t read it past flipping through the art though so no comment as to quality.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

It is indeed that Wallace Wood. Whether or not it's good I can't say. It definitely was not my cup of tea and I didn't finish, and it isn't really Wood at his most inventive, but it's definitely very very beautifully drawn and if you're more into the macho-camp bit you might like it-- it reminded me quite a bit of a slightly more poker-faced Archer.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Yeah, I ended up getting the second trade of Little Annie Fanny thinking "Kurtzman and Elder, how could it not be awesome!?" But it was lackluster and did nothing for me. Maybe in its original context it was more interesting or something. I fear the Cannon thing would probably be similar.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, I ended up getting the second trade of Little Annie Fanny thinking "Kurtzman and Elder, how could it not be awesome!?" But it was lackluster and did nothing for me. Maybe in its original context it was more interesting or something. I fear the Cannon thing would probably be similar.

IIRC it was made for a weekly paper, Overseas Weekly, that was mainly distributed to American military personnel stationed overseas from the 50s through the 70s. Although OW was subversive in a number of ways-- I remember reading about how it ran editorials pushing back against the distribution of far-right John Birch poo poo by officers-- it was still a kind of sleazy tabloid definitely geared for rowdy sharing, so a lot of its features were definitely titillating in a kind of "boys will be boys" nudging, leering way that I found fairly unsavory, with Cannon being no exception. Little Annie Fanny is actually a pretty good reference point.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Rhyno posted:

We put an actual for real offer on a beautiful house today but it was just past business hours so they have til 6pm today to respond and I am going bonkers.

Oh man. Just wait. You thought this part was bonkers....

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Archyduke posted:

IIRC it was made for a weekly paper, Overseas Weekly, that was mainly distributed to American military personnel stationed overseas from the 50s through the 70s. Although OW was subversive in a number of ways-- I remember reading about how it ran editorials pushing back against the distribution of far-right John Birch poo poo by officers-- it was still a kind of sleazy tabloid definitely geared for rowdy sharing, so a lot of its features were definitely titillating in a kind of "boys will be boys" nudging, leering way that I found fairly unsavory, with Cannon being no exception. Little Annie Fanny is actually a pretty good reference point.

Ehhh, I disagree with the Little Annie Fanny and "slightly more serious Archer" reference points - it's playing it straight (for a spy thriller), similar to an EC war comic but with big honking bosoms at a moderate-high frequency. The titillation... I guess I wouldn't call it mandated, but it also doesn't feel exactly genuine, possibly because how frequent and how big/honking the boobs are.

Like, if I was assigned in the 60s-70s to write a standard spy-war pulp thriller and told to make it appeal to guys overseas, and then realized I really liked big honking breasts and also some rear end AND was very capable of drawing them as various femme fatale types, Cannon is more or less what I would come up with. It does drift back and forth into full exploitative sleaze in the nudity (particularly sex slavery), which is not good, but so did a lot of pulp from that any era and the influence of that style is pretty apparent, which isn't to say it's good or ok, but is, I dunno, recognizable as mundane?

It's... not bad, or at least manages competence, but aside from the Wood art isn't particularly interesting or necessary, and much like the Marvel John Carter comic omnibus, is best read as a big collection in small bursts in the bathroom after getting it on clearance.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Years before the Mangaverse, there was an actual X-Men manga

https://twitter.com/atsuji_yamamoto/status/1052506498687856640

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I remember that getting reprinted in America in the late 1990s, from what I recall it was a distressingly straight adaptation of the FOX TV show. Though maybe that's just the chapters they translated/republished?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edge & Christian posted:

I remember that getting reprinted in America in the late 1990s, from what I recall it was a distressingly straight adaptation of the FOX TV show. Though maybe that's just the chapters they translated/republished?

Does it use the Japanese theme song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rSw4Xl5qfs

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Man, not even that opening can make Jean's Jim Lee costume look good.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'd be shaken to my very core if I were a little Japanese kid in the 80s turning on the TV, seeing this badass intro, and then seeing the animation in the episode proper.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Okay so every October this one thing bothers me. The Hulkbuster suit of Ironman armour has been around for 25+ years.
But in all that time not once* has Tony Stark ever said, before donning the heavy duty exo-armour, "Hey. I ain't afraid of no Hulks."

*= I remember Toyfare making this joke once.
But no official Marvel comic has ever gone for it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/JustPlainTweets/status/1052659094383935494

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

Okay so every October this one thing bothers me. The Hulkbuster suit of Ironman armour has been around for 25+ years.
But in all that time not once* has Tony Stark ever said, before donning the heavy duty exo-armour, "Hey. I ain't afraid of no Hulks."

*= I remember Toyfare making this joke once.
But no official Marvel comic has ever gone for it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I, for one, enjoyed the female reimagining.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have just seen that Marvel is going to start publishing collected editions of the Scott Lobdell/Alan Davis/Chris Claremont/Salvador Larocca Fantastic Four.

I will further discredit myself by declaring that I am possibly happier to learn this than I was when DC announced that they were doing the same for the Mark Waid run on Flash.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
The Lobdell/Davis issues aren't bad, really. But he either quit or got booted off really quick, and then Claremont took it in a Claremont-y direction. '90s Claremont-y.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've been re-reading some of my Marvel Adventures books, and while Chat is an adorable character with a fun power set, I couldn't help but think in the back of my mind that if the main way you fight is by sending random animals to attack the villains, you're gonna feel like a real rear end in a top hat the first time Electro electrocutes a dog and a couple pigeons.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

I've been re-reading some of my Marvel Adventures books, and while Chat is an adorable character with a fun power set, I couldn't help but think in the back of my mind that if the main way you fight is by sending random animals to attack the villains, you're gonna feel like a real rear end in a top hat the first time Electro electrocutes a dog and a couple pigeons.

I imagine things like this have kept Squirrel Girl up at night.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

I imagine things like this have kept Squirrel Girl up at night.

At least squirrel girl can back up her homies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sorry to double post, but my dad has officially been diagnosed with Alzheimer's so that's... great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sorry buddy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sorry to hear man

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sorry :(

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Sorry to hear that dude.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

A Strange Aeon posted:

CANNON

Wallace Wood

Programmed to be the perfect assassin and working as a covert operative, John Cannon, endures nude torture by beautiful women, explosive gunplay, naked catfights, Hitler, nihilistic love-making, nuclear bombs, weasel the spy, and more naked women in these comic adventures. Includes Overseas Weekly, Heroes Inc., and others. In B&W.

Is Wallace Wood Wally Wood?
And could this be any good?

Sounds like a bunch of 80/90s Manga, like Wounded Man (Please don't look up Wounded Man, it's awful).

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Lurdiak posted:

Sorry to double post, but my dad has officially been diagnosed with Alzheimer's so that's... great.

Ah, poo poo, that's terrible. My grandmother had Alzheimer's. I'm sorry, man.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just read My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies by Brubaker and Philips.

It's a recently released graphic novella in the Criminal line. It's really loving good, as is everything they make. Reminds me a lot of Stray Bullets, but more introspective. Highly recommended.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/HeatherAntos/status/1053449353522827269

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

You're beautiful skwirl

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

I would like to point out that, while I love this, it's also really, really old. Like, this was posted back when DC actually published the Ame-Comi line of figurines and (horrible) tie-in comics. Which, according to what I can find, was 2012.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
This year I am reworking my Spider-Nam costume into a breakdancing Spiderman costume for halloween. I will post pics if anyone cares.
What you mofos dressing up as?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I did Halloween a week early as I brought my daughter over for her mid term break.
I dressed up as the Joker (half hoped my brothers would also dress up as the Joker so we could do a Three Jokers thing.)

So I used white face make up and extended lipstick scars.
But I didn't want to shave off my beard so I coloured it green, along with my hair and eyebrows.

It was really cheap and very effective.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The Question IRL posted:

I did Halloween a week early as I brought my daughter over for her mid term break.
I dressed up as the Joker (half hoped my brothers would also dress up as the Joker so we could do a Three Jokers thing.)

So I used white face make up and extended lipstick scars.
But I didn't want to shave off my beard so I coloured it green, along with my hair and eyebrows.

It was really cheap and very effective.

Should've gone the Cesar Romero route instead.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Madkal posted:

This year I am reworking my Spider-Nam costume into a breakdancing Spiderman costume for halloween. I will post pics if anyone cares.
What you mofos dressing up as?

Shaving my head, borrowing a wheelchair, and puttering around all day in a sweater and tie while pretending to be able to read minds.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alvarez IV posted:

Shaving my head, borrowing a wheelchair, and puttering around all day in a sweater and tie while pretending to be able to read minds.

That works really well because people will either say you're right or deny it in such a way that people will think you're right. Or they'll just tell you to gently caress off

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Skwirl posted:

Or they'll just tell you to gently caress off

Um, we don't smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

RevKrule posted:

Should've gone the Cesar Romero route instead.

I tried to do a Cesar Remero thing last year but with a full (trimmed) beard. I was surfing Joker.

• Locked thread