Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surc
Aug 17, 2004

I'm re-reading the "American Scream" arc of Shade this month, to commemorate the spookiness of Halloween, and also the fact that the area of madness is clearly infecting America lately.

Might also re-read hellblazer later in the month lik,e Skwirl, as I haven't done my annual re-read for 2018 yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I'm re-reading Transmet for the first time in ages. It's kind of amazing/sad how prescient it is, and yet how far off the mark it is at the same time. The Beast could be a Trump like character but he had a modicum of care beyond himself, even though it was pitifully low, and the Smiler is closer to a Romney then Trump. I guess Heller would be close to Trump in rhetoric, but he was a footnote character.
I know this is a book written in the 90s so it would be nearly impossible to have ever thought someone like Trump could one day become president riding on fascistic tendencies, but I am kind of amazed at some other things the book managed to tackle. I guess some issues are forever there, just with a new paint job to make it look different.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Beast was Nixon and the Smiler was Reagan

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Everyone sees what they want to see. To me, The Smiler was Tony Blair, no question.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sentinel Red posted:

Everyone sees what they want to see. To me, The Smiler was Tony Blair, no question.

Ellis has said that he gets people comparing Smiler to virtually every major political figure that has been in the US and UK since he wrote him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I always assumed The Smiler was based off JFK (if JFK was evil, he is the one who started the Vietnam war), and then we all saw reflections of him in everything.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm proud of my New York Comic Con cosplay for this year.

https://twitter.com/Gavin4L/status/1048979564230266880

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fake butt 2/10.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Smiler is Tony Blair and The Beast was Thatcher, according to Warren Ellis. The artist obviously made them look Nixon and JFK-esque. You can project a lot onto both of them, though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Does Marvel even have 666 villains? Like to hit that number you'd have to go for some ridiculously deep cuts plus deep cuts from other universes plus a bunch of randomly evil versions of heroes. I imagine eventually writers would just be going... "ummm... how about another Dr. Doom... only he's from Earth 1000... his deal is that his cape is orange?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

Does Marvel even have 666 villains? Like to hit that number you'd have to go for some ridiculously deep cuts plus deep cuts from other universes plus a bunch of randomly evil versions of heroes. I imagine eventually writers would just be going... "ummm... how about another Dr. Doom... only he's from Earth 1000... his deal is that his cape is orange?"

I would assume the first half of the storyline would be Spidey just wiping the floor with like 85% of them and then being tired and worn out and having to face the one's people actually give a poo poo about. But there's easily 666 villains.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TwoPair posted:

I imagine eventually writers would just be going... "ummm... how about another Dr. Doom... only he's from Earth 1000... his deal is that his cape is orange?"

Sounds like someone who'd have a good LOYAL name, like John.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Skwirl posted:

I would assume the first half of the storyline would be Spidey just wiping the floor with like 85% of them and then being tired and worn out and having to face the one's people actually give a poo poo about. But there's easily 666 villains.

I'd read a miniseries where every panel was Spider-man beating up a different bad guy every panel, honestly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

I'd read a miniseries where every panel was Spider-man beating up a different bad guy every panel, honestly.

Spidey facing 30 different Green Goblin knock-offs before fighting Norman Osborne has to be an actual comic that exists.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Skwirl posted:

Spidey facing 30 different Green Goblin knock-offs before fighting Norman Osborne has to be an actual comic that exists.

And if it doesn't, I now want to see "The Goblin's Gauntlet".

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

END ME SCOOB posted:

And if it doesn't, I now want to see "The Goblin's Gauntlet".

Paging Vulpes Vulpes...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Now I'm trying to think of all the Green Goblin knockoffs. Hobgoblin obviously, Jack O'Lantern, Demogoblin, that one Green Goblin that was actually a good guy (seriously who does that? I'm not going to fight crime running around calling myself "Charles Manson"), Hemoglobin. I think I'm missing at least one

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Skwirl posted:

Now I'm trying to think of all the Green Goblin knockoffs. Hobgoblin obviously, Jack O'Lantern, Demogoblin, that one Green Goblin that was actually a good guy (seriously who does that? I'm not going to fight crime running around calling myself "Charles Manson"), Hemoglobin. I think I'm missing at least one

The Goblin Knight was one. And wasn't Harry's gf during the American Son story-arc a Goblin of some sort?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TwoPair posted:

A perfect time for 8-Ball and his full rack to attack!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

pubic works project posted:

The Goblin Knight was one. And wasn't Harry's gf during the American Son story-arc a Goblin of some sort?

I'm not sure if I'm happy or annoyed you either missed or ignored my joke goblin.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I'm not sure if I'm happy or annoyed you either missed or ignored my joke goblin.

I caught it the name, but I'm exhausted today so I totally took it as something serious. I mean poo poo...it wouldn't surprise me if Marvel really had a dude named Hemoglobin.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I caught it the name, but I'm exhausted today so I totally took it as something serious. I mean poo poo...it wouldn't surprise me if Marvel really had a dude named Hemoglobin.

It's from an alternate universe where the Carnage suit possesses Norman Osborne.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Skwirl posted:

There was Menace back in the Brand New Day era of Spider-Man.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

I thought they literally did? Maybe it was DC

edit: It was dC http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Hemo-Goblin_(New_Earth)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

My terrible pun joke character actually exists and was a vampire that gave people AIDS. Jesus wept.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Skwirl posted:

My terrible pun joke character actually exists and was a vampire that gave people AIDS. Jesus wept.

Also Carnage Norman Osborn just happened a few months ago.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gavok posted:

Also Carnage Norman Osborn just happened a few months ago.

Wait, seriously? I'm obviously not psychic because all I'm predicting is poo poo that already happened, but if anyone is still in college and has a history quiz feel free to HMU.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Skwirl posted:

Wait, seriously? I'm obviously not psychic because all I'm predicting is poo poo that already happened, but if anyone is still in college and has a history quiz feel free to HMU.

Yeah, he was called the Red Goblin and was treated as the final end boss of Dan Slott's Spider-Man run. Eddie Brock even lent the Venom symbiote to Spider-Man to make it an even playing field.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dan Slott really is just a 12 year old.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Gavok posted:

Yeah, he was called the Red Goblin and was treated as the final end boss of Dan Slott's Spider-Man run. Eddie Brock even lent the Venom symbiote to Spider-Man to make it an even playing field.

A red goblin should have just been called Red Cap.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mr. Maltose posted:

Wasn't there basically a Marvel Knights Spider-Man one with that premise?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was a little (only a little) of that in Amazing #500, where Peter gets unstuck in time when Dormammu invades New York and the only way Dr Strange can get him back as by having him relive every fight of his career.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

One of JMS' better stories.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like most of JMS's Spider-Man up to a point. Before Sins Past, but I'm not sure exactly where I fell off.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sins Past is what it is but it's not like he stopped writing good issues after that.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Yeah, his little "New Avengers" arc was a lot of fun.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I run hot and cold on Spider-Man being an Avenger. I think there's a natural arc to Spider-Man as a character where he would eventually earn the respect and trust of everyone and take over from Captain America as the natural leader of the Avengers but it's one he obviously can't ever reach. I think that's an overly-idealised view that I have.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

So I just finished the Fraction/Brubaker/Duane Immortal Iron Fist stuff — are there any other good, modern-ish Iron Fist runs I should look into?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wasn't there basically a Marvel Knights Spider-Man one with that premise?

Fight Night had a ton of villains. 99 supposedly. Might have to look when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

omg chael crash posted:

So I just finished the Fraction/Brubaker/Duane Immortal Iron Fist stuff � are there any other good, modern-ish Iron Fist runs I should look into?

It's not solo Iron Fist, but Bendis's Defenders series was really good.

• Locked thread