Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

What name? gently caress Batman's Dick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Batman's dick was the greatest thing DC (Dickless Cucks) had done since Rebirth. Them walking it back shows how cowardly and awful they are.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone else think that "Dickless Cucks" is the sort of name a character would be given in a story set in one of those fabled "more innocent times"? Like, the male lead in the novel/play/musical/film Show Boat is an 1890s riverboat gambler called "Gaylord Ravenal", a name you'd not see today. Could you imagine a Jack London novel about a grizzled Alaskan gold rush prospector called "Dickless Cucks"?

It should be Batman's after DC airbrushed his hog away.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It all makes sense as to why he is Rick Grayson now.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/warnermedia-direct-to-consumer-streaming-service-john-stankey-1202975598/

:thunk:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

site posted:

Anxiously waiting for the notice that at&t will charge internet users more to use Netflix but won't add a surcharge for their own streaming service

That and the $50 package for all of their streaming services.

Or I will cackle like a madman when DCUniverse is folded into the new Warner brothers streaming service and the comics are dropped.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

Would anyone care if the comics were dropped? From my understanding the collection is so sparse that anyone interested in comics has probably read all the things they want to from it.

Probably not. It is funny to see them launching another service that may end up having the same shows.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

sticksy posted:

Beyond that, t "Community" section where fans debate who would beat who in a fight endlessly, old Timmverse stuff I can watch elsewhere and their own Wikia is pretty weak.

You forgot half the posts of people begging Time Warner to charge them more.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

There are a number of threads and posts in the DC community area of people asking for higher tiers to get access to more comics or the TV shows and movies that are not available.

One guy was furious that people could buy comics through the service without a subscription.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

OK, that makes a bit more sense I guess. I thought you meant they wanted to pay more money for what they were getting now. That didn't make any sense at all, but neither does this streaming service in general.

There are a couple posts saying that too. It really is a psychotic place.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

sticksy posted:

I am admittedly a crazy and stupid person but I would possibly be interested in this, too?

I alluded earlier to the current DCU offering being lackluster across the board, my naive hope has that it would be somewhat akin to Marvel Unlimited - and maybe it might in the future! And I realize that the scope of DCU is pretty different from that ie MCU is a service offering 15-20,000 digital issues + most recent titles from 6 months ago for $99/year.

I signed up because I wanted the comics but DCU's available comics, today at least, are meager at best imo. I don't know if with their model, they think they'll lose more money from digital sales than they would with an Unlimited-esque subscription or they want to establish different media formats like TV shows and be their own little Netflix or since Netflix has broken every media conglomerates brains and they're all determined to "pivot" to this. It'd be interesting to see what the cost breakdown of the subscription is today like how much shows like Titans comprise of the $75, sure to be $100 in a year or two, 25% for digital comics rights, 25% for DCAU stuff, 25% for old movies and show rights etc .

I don't see them having an subscription option that's really focused comprehensively (or exclusively) on the comic side - it feels like the traditional cable TV model where you don't actually pay for just what you want, you get a bundle that has what you really want plus stuff you probably don't but paying for regardless. If they did offer that separately or say added a tier that provided that, even if it was somewhat more expensive a ie equivalent to Unlimited + $20 for access to the other stuff = $120/year (even though I don't like or want the non-comics content and disagreed with their pricing model, from a business POV I realize there is value to that they would expect to charge.)

I'm rambling but all of this is a lot of :mordin: to say even though I think their strategy and model is lovely, I could still be open to paying a premium if need be so I got what I really wanted.

:randstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

You're beautiful skwirl

• Locked thread