Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
remember, it's important that you only read spooky comics this month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Beast was Nixon and the Smiler was Reagan

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endless Mike posted:

You would think so, but it's VA, so they are just coming up with new and innovative ways to oppress minorities.

yeah, this is just so that they have an excuse to call the cops on kids who don't "look" like they belong there.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Whatever place you do end up getting just make sure it's a victorian mansion that you immediately let slide into disrepair, and put a clause in your will that no one can receive your inheritance unless they spend a night locked inside.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
no way

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Starfire started off as basically sexy Conan the Barbarian in Space, right?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

From my recollection, not really, but it has been some time since I read the start of New Teen Titans so I'd need to check. She might have! :shrug:

I mean pre-Teen Titans

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

That Starfire was a completely separate character from the Teen Titans character, and she was more of a sword-and-sorcery/space opera character. It didn't take place in the DCU and there were no other familiar characters in her few stories.

Starfire was the first DC heroine to receive her own title since Supergirl in 1972. Her series lasted only eight issues. According to this original series, Starfire's world was long ago involved in a civil war between two castes: the warrior-priests and the Lightning Lords (scientists). Unable to prevail upon each other alone, each caste summoned an alien race to serve their cause. The warrior-priests summoned the Mygorg and the Lightning Lords the Yorgs. The two alien races were hereditary enemies and indeed resumed their war in their new planet. However, both turned the tables on their summoners and intended masters by enslaving them. The world was divided among the two, Mygorg and Yorg, which continued to war against each other. The original human-like inhabitants continued to survive in slavery. Starfire was born as the daughter of two slaves of different skin color. Her father was "yellow" and her mother "white". Both slaves belonged to the Mygorg. Sookarooth, King of the Mygorg took notice of the young girl of mixed heritage and beautiful appearance. He arranged for her to be raised free and educated in his own palace, Castle Mollachon.[1]

When Starfire reached her eighteenth birthday, Sookarooth announced her to be his future mate. She fled in disgust but was pursued by the royal forces. She was saved by Dagan, a warrior-priest. The two became lovers and Dagan trained her as a warrior. Starfire became skilled in swordsmanship, archery, tracking, and other skills typical to a warrior-priest. Their shared life ended when Dagan was captured by Sookarooth. He was at first tortured and then executed. A vengeful Starfire returned to Castle Mollachon and raised its slaves in revolt. She slew Sookareth herself and then vowed to free her people from slavery. The following issues had Starfire recruiting additional followers to her side and seeking more effective weapons against the Mygorg, the Yorg, and a number of hostile local factions. The series ended before a resolution could be reached.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The previous Starfire was a mixed-race escaped slave who was trying to free all the slaves and murder the ruling class.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edge & Christian posted:

I'm really confident that they have at least 666 villains, yeah. There are like a dozen people apiece in the Circus of Crime and the Death Throws (evil juggling stable), the version of Masters of Evil that took over Avengers Mansion was 20-30 people, Scourge killed (and the Hood resurrected) 20+ D-list villains, and that doesn't even start to cover the Spider-Man and X-Men villain groups, I could probably come up with a list of 666 Marvel supervillains in about an hour. This would be an incredibly dumb thing to do, but I probably could.

I don't think you could.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Years before the Mangaverse, there was an actual X-Men manga

https://twitter.com/atsuji_yamamoto/status/1052506498687856640

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edge & Christian posted:

I remember that getting reprinted in America in the late 1990s, from what I recall it was a distressingly straight adaptation of the FOX TV show. Though maybe that's just the chapters they translated/republished?

Does it use the Japanese theme song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rSw4Xl5qfs

• Locked thread