Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Blue On Blue posted:

So uhh when everyone goes into that tunnel and are told to remove their guns , because anything metal will be bad for their health

Meanwhile they're all standing there with metal desks surrounding everyone, and a massive all metal conveyor belt

Am I just supposed to assume it's not actually metal but some other material?

Loose metal. Assume everything else was bolted down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
So I finally finished Season 3. One thing no one in this thread has brought up is that Joe is also a traveler. From Juliana's memory of another life she was brought to be an experiment for the machine and Joe kills both her and himself after telling her to trust him. The only reason he would do this is because he knows they are both travelers. By killing them both in that dimension it would leave space for "Primary" Juliana to transport to that dimension, and for "Good" Joe (who we as the audience haven't met yet) to travel and meet her there. Also from the background of that scene it looks like the machine is progressed far past where it is in primary show dimension as it is activating once every few seconds. So yea Joe is going to be back next season and I imagine he will info dump a lot as he seems to know what is going on more than any other character we've seen so far by his reveal to Juliana to trust him.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I stared watching the show recently, and I am slightly annoyed that they have a danish actor with a strong danish accent play a german, it just seems a little sloppy.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Going to mention that I previously watched Season 1 when it came out, and was bored to tears. Picked up season 2 and 3 after watching a S1 recap after reading that things picked up, and was pleasantly surprised.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Vernacular posted:

Incidentally, shouldn't the people here up in arms about a sympathetic portrayal of John Smith (which is no doubt in part the result of Sewell's charisma) be applying the same standards to Tagami? The Japanese were not exactly nice folks to their neighbors.

Well for me the difference is because my public American education did not teach me anything about what Japan did except Pearl Harbor. On the other hand, I'm fairly sure we learned in every single year starting at minimum in junior high through the end of high school that the Nazis murdered millions of people via genocide.

So if the Japanese were just as bad and people aren't up in arms over Tagami/the Japanese in this show, it's not because I think what they did was fine. It's because I don't know enough to be outraged.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Just finished it. Great season overall.

I do hope that future seasons have other settings added, like Nazi-controlled Moscow or Japanese-controlled Sydney.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

They recently dropped a teaser for the final season airing "fall"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtGqjxECVe8

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

final season?

wtf...

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Honestly, all the power to them for attempting to close out the show on a strong note rather than milking it forever Homeland-style.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

final season?

wtf...

I’m actually ok with that. It has the potential to finish out really strong.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Vernacular posted:

Honestly, all the power to them for attempting to close out the show on a strong note rather than milking it forever Homeland-style.

I don't get the sense that they are about to run out of material, though. The premise of the show basically guarantees an unlimited amount of possibilities that take place in various settings.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

enraged_camel posted:

I don't get the sense that they are about to run out of material, though. The premise of the show basically guarantees an unlimited amount of possibilities that take place in various settings.

Okay but I don't really give a poo poo about the other settings, I care about the one that Juliana just hosed right off from.

And I guess ours??

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
i'm just now starting to go through the various seasons, since the final one is coming up.

i've tried searching but still struggle with one scene: in season two when kido shows up at john smith's office, what is the real purpose there? i don't think they ever disclose / reveal the true purpose?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
If I remember right this was in leadup to the ending of the season and I'd say its purpose was to establish the connection/a bit of trust between them, through which Kido can later pass on the nuke video to Smith. Smith would likely not trust anyone like Kido normally about something like that...but a fellow war vet, that mirrors himself a fair bit and gives him a video that was in no way doctored (tho stolen from another dimension)? Moreso likely to take a risk with something like that if they spoke personally before.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just happened to be looking at my TV calendar and noticed season 4 comes out next Friday the 15th!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I watched the S4 trailer, they’re really going to have the Nazis lose, aren’t they? It’s a good thing PKD is dead because otherwise this would have made him crazier.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
This the final season?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yup, as far as I know.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

qirex posted:

I watched the S4 trailer, they’re really going to have the Nazis lose, aren’t they? It’s a good thing PKD is dead because otherwise this would have made him crazier.

Of course, Glorious Nippon wins in the end.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Season 4 is out on Amazon. Guess I'm not sleeping early and it was good I took tomorrow off work

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This thread still exists so I guess use it again.

Very much a stealth launch of the season, then again I think amazon has seen not many people continued after season 1 and feel there isn't much need to promote this vs other shows.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I very much enjoy watching this mediocre show tbh.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

this show would've have been way better if the black communists were the main characters in season 1

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

My feelings exactly.

Bro Dad posted:

this show would've have been way better if the black communists were the main characters in season 1

Way more interesting than Juliana, Frank, and Joe all having a contest to see who could be the biggest angstiest dumbass, that's for sure.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

At least we can rest assured that in this final season nobody lives life as the best versions of themself.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

This final season felt very rushed, especially the ending, but overall I quite enjoyed watching it.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

hailthefish posted:

This final season felt very rushed, especially the ending, but overall I quite enjoyed watching it.

drat yall too fast I havent even begun season 4 yet. I kinda like how amazon releases everything at once, but I i wish they'd give like a day inbetween each ep to foster episode discussion on the internet :/

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

hailthefish posted:

I'd rather have a rushed season than the incredibly slow S1. I'm on Eps 2 and enjoying it more than the previous 3 seasons.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
So far the season seems good. Really leans into "just in case we weren't sufficiently clear: nazis are bad". I like how they highlight the incompetence of fascism as a governing ideology. It's also good that they made one of Americas greatest fascist be the same person in the Naziverse. It's too bad they already did the "Nazi but a secret homosexual" because he would have been a great candidate for that take.

The black communists are awesome and sympathetically presented.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

So far the season seems good. Really leans into "just in case we weren't sufficiently clear: nazis are bad". I like how they highlight the incompetence of fascism as a governing ideology. It's also good that they made one of Americas greatest fascist be the same person in the Naziverse. It's too bad they already did the "Nazi but a secret homosexual" because he would have been a great candidate for that take.

Regarding the BCR: I'm glad they took a firm stance on the "no lynchings" bit. It really makes them stand out against other portrayals of communists in media as purge-happy authoritarians.

Thom12255 posted:

It scratches my alt history itch in clever ways.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This is good.

https://twitter.com/chelahhorsdal/status/1195755868052049920

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Finished it. Last 2 minutes were weird.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
Just binged through the final season. One thing seemed really weird - did Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa piss someone off on the show or quit? Seems extremely weird that they essentially kill off one of their best characters off-screen in the first 30 seconds of the season. Even when they show his body and later on when he shows up in Juliana’s trance, we never see his face, just his back, like they were using a body double for the actor or something.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

I really didn't see them show any incompetence of facism as governing ideology, I mean facism DOES win the conflict in the end, it's only due to his friend with a conscience that the western US isn't obliterated/conquered (that's also a problem because apparently he can suddenly do with the American Reich what smith couldn't?). Facism has still a grip on the world. I'm sure we are supposed to think that things are going to change from now on but that hasn't really been shown. The problem facism has is that of any authoritarian system, it's the violent power struggle at the top.
More questionable is that they kinda play with the idea of US nationalism as counterforce against facism, not to mention the ethnostate the BCA wants to establish which is understable from their point of view but it contains more mixed signals especially if you throw communism in there.

So yeah the characters of the BCA were sympathetic but if you look into it the whole rebellion it is kind of fractured and stumbled into success and it really felt forced that they were successful at all. The way the Japanese suddenly thought it's a good idea to leave the US doesn't even make sense. If you are tired of wars then you don't give up the territory you have fully under controll (and even plot-armor BCA isn't a real threat) and that has plenty of resources, you pull out of an area that has a military resisting you (which was apparently the case in China/Asia). It would be like Germany in WW2 giving up France voluntarily to fight Russia.
The "Rebels" didn't win so much as everyone else had to bend to the will of the plot.

The very end also kinda confuses me in regards to its message. So there are now people coming from all alternative universes to their world? Why would they pick that one? Isn't that like one of the worst choices you can make?
And I don't even want to start with the logistical problems that brings or the broader implications... I'm really not sure what the goal is there. Also... is there an RL reason why Tagomi got such a limited role in this season? It felt odd how his whole character was treated, like they had to write him out.

So overall it was okay but nothing about this season felt organic and thus you get the paradoxical situation that the end feels rushed despite having four seaons with a very slow pace (they also failed to properly built up the tension for the final 2-2 episodes, it was a big "meh").

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 17, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really enjoyed this season. It felt really well made until it all fell apart in the last few minutes. It feels like they knew how to wrap some things up with the characters, but then forgot that the whole world was hosed and gave up. What does people coming through the portal even do? They were being welcomed by the rebels as if those people were escaping from the hosed reality when it was the other way around. Are those people going to magically UN-nazi America? I guess that one guy took off his little nazi ascot or whatever, but that's one guy. Was Smith the only true nazi believer left? I find it hard to believe that anything has been solved at the end besides some characters feeling better for a bit before realizing that there's still a fascist Europe out there. It's really weird that it ends the story arc for most of the characters we are following but then just brings up even more questions.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

Are we watching the same show?

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

"Typhoid, rattlers, and now drownin' in rivers? I think we need ourselves a new leader, or we're goin' the way o' the Donner Party."

LinkesAuge posted:

I really didn't see them show any incompetence of fascism as governing ideology, I mean fascism DOES win the conflict in the end, it's only due to his friend with a conscience that the western US isn't obliterated/conquered (that's also a problem because apparently he can suddenly do with the American Reich what Smith couldn't?). Fascism has still a grip on the world. I'm sure we are supposed to think that things are going to change from now on but that hasn't really been shown. The problem fascism has is that of any authoritarian system, it's the violent power struggle at the top.
More questionable is that they kinda play with the idea of US nationalism as counter-force against fascism, not to mention the ethnostate the BCA wants to establish which is understandable from their point of view but it contains more mixed signals especially if you throw communism in there.

You know if they had another season to work with I could see China collecting on their debts after the BCR's victory, just swapping one totalitarian ruler over another. But that might've been taking the focus off the show's original themes, too.

quote:

So yeah the characters of the BCR were sympathetic but if you look into it the whole rebellion it is kind of fractured and stumbled into success and it really felt forced that they were successful at all. The way the Japanese suddenly thought it's a good idea to leave the US doesn't even make sense. If you are tired of wars then you don't give up the territory you have fully under control (and even plot-armor BCR isn't a real threat) and that has plenty of resources, you pull out of an area that has a military resisting you (which was apparently the case in China/Asia). It would be like Germany in WW2 giving up France voluntarily to fight Russia.
The "Rebels" didn't win so much as everyone else had to bend to the will of the plot.

I agree the last season had some pacing issues and probably let the good guys win a little too much since they knew they only had 1 season left, but I'm glad they scaled it back by having John finally realize the kind of incredible rear end in a top hat he'd become just to protect his family, decisions made largely out of either cowardice or misplaced priorities (I've always been a "needs of the many" kind of guy myself, but I've never raised a family either so I've no dog in that fight). I felt him blowing his brains out when all hope for him was lost was rather fitting, reminded me a lot of Hitler in the bunker. It would've felt far more fake to do something really weird like have the alternate Americans come through the portal and take down the Reich, or have John suddenly declare "We're a democratic republic now, let's bring back the Constitution" which he of course knew wasn't an option. For all the issues I'm seeing with this season, they could've done a lot worse and really made PKD spin in his grave.

quote:

The very end also kinda confuses me in regards to its message. So there are now people coming from all alternative universes to their world? Why would they pick that one? Isn't that like one of the worst choices you can make?
And I don't even want to start with the logistical problems that brings or the broader implications...

I didn't get it either, it seemed like the writer was thinking "Let's have the universes kinda merge and maybe that'll clear it up in the long term with interdimensional cultural integration" or something. Felt like they were going for a hopeful ending given how much just 1 year of being in the happier universe changed Juliana. Perhaps the influx of people that could show their oppressed people a happier world would lead to the overthrow of fascism?

quote:

I'm really not sure what the goal is there. Also... is there an RL reason why Tagomi got such a limited role in this season? It felt odd how his whole character was treated, like they had to write him out.

It really did. Killing him largely off-screen and using his death only as a minor plot point felt similar to how awkwardly Kevin Spacey was written out of House of Cards. That said, Mr. Tagawa's exit from the show must've been much more graceful and planned since they didn't have to delete 2 episodes and badly re-write remaining ones like HoC. I hope someone can find out what went on, I'm not seeing anything on the official sites.

quote:

So overall it was okay but nothing about this season felt organic and thus you get the paradoxical situation that the end feels rushed despite having four seasons with a very slow pace (they also failed to properly built up the tension for the final 2-2 episodes, it was a big "meh").

I kinda felt the same way, I didn't even get why John's successor called off the attack, putting his pin down made me think he either felt awful about killing his own countrymen, or maybe they were saying the alternate America was sending spies into their world as well, with the whole "A portal out can also be a portal in" talk from before. Most likely the former, of course.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Crazy Dastard posted:

I kinda felt the same way, I didn't even get why John's successor called off the attack, putting his pin down made me think he either felt awful about killing his own countrymen, or maybe they were saying the alternate America was sending spies into their world as well, with the whole "A portal out can also be a portal in" talk from before. Most likely the former, of course.

I read it as him actually being what the Smiths claimed to be: playing along to stay alive. Cowardly enough to be actively involved in the regime's crimes in order to protect himself, but still in the end brave enough to do something about it when he had the chance.

Also yeah the US-Nationalism-As-An-Opposing-Force-To-Nazism stuff was kinda weird and gross, especially given the efforts previous seasons had made to really unnervingly commingle the two, but I'm glad there were BCR characters around to point out the problems with it, I guess?

LinkesAuge posted:

The way the Japanese suddenly thought it's a good idea to leave the US doesn't even make sense. If you are tired of wars then you don't give up the territory you have fully under controll (and even plot-armor BCA isn't a real threat) and that has plenty of resources, you pull out of an area that has a military resisting you (which was apparently the case in China/Asia). It would be like Germany in WW2 giving up France voluntarily to fight Russia.

It's not altogether ludicrous that they would rather focus their efforts on the potentially existential battle much closer to home rather than continuing to fight an escalating counterinsurgency campaign halfway around the world. Less Germany-abandoning-France-to-fight-Russia, and maybe closer to the equivalent of the US hypothetically withdrawing from the Philippines in the 1890s due to a war against Canada going very poorly.

The sudden successes of the rebels on all fronts after a generation of apparently accomplishing loving nothing was certainly.. uh.. incongruous. I suspect most of the abruptness of it is from the year long timeskip and only having a 10 episode season to get everything wrapped up in, but still.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

hailthefish posted:

It's not altogether ludicrous that they would rather focus their efforts on the potentially existential battle much closer to home rather than continuing to fight an escalating counterinsurgency campaign halfway around the world. Less Germany-abandoning-France-to-fight-Russia, and maybe closer to the equivalent of the US hypothetically withdrawing from the Philippines in the 1890s due to a war against Canada going very poorly.

The sudden successes of the rebels on all fronts after a generation of apparently accomplishing loving nothing was certainly.. uh.. incongruous. I suspect most of the abruptness of it is from the year long timeskip and only having a 10 episode season to get everything wrapped up in, but still.

Yeah, I don't want to be too nitpicky, it can ofc happen that an occupation force has to leave, happened all the time in history but my problem with it was simply how it was framed. They go out of their way to highlight the importance of that territory for their Oil needs AND the motivation for the empress (and thus the emperor) is apparently to save lifes and not waste young soldiers anymore. Which would work if not for the fact that they introduce a conflict with China and that means they aren't really tired of war or have a problem with continued sacrifices of life.
That conflict with China / on the asian continent seems also just as sudden as the BCR success, maybe I missed it or simply don't remember it but was there any indication in previous seasons that the Japanese were still having a big conflict somewhere? Seems odd to me that this would be the case several decades after WW2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It might have just popped up recently or may have been a slow boil like the US was. Japan did invade China in WWII (we were allies with the pre-communist China). So if Japan defeated the US, then it's likely that they are still working on their conquest of China. Since communism really did happen in China, it's not a big ask to think that the communist revolutionaries would have an easier time converting people who were under the heels of Japanese fascism. Eventually Japanese influence would spread far enough that enough Chinese would get sick of it and rise up.