Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think I've found a new reason to hate the finale.

The reason the New American Reich didn't bomb the west coast states into oblivion is because everyone in the BCR had all been sterilized. Why destroy perfectly good cities when the threat of Black Communists has no literal way to propagate or continue itself and will be gone within a single generation? All they'd end up doing is inadvertently killing future ~loyal citizens of the NAR~. :smith:

Only people who had been in german camps. While the japanese clearly practice race science, they dont seem to sterilize and they dont have camps in America (I'm sure they took a few ideas from the nazis in Manchuria...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Slothful Bong posted:

Amazon is tight lipped about this for everything so I only have a laymans perspective - but I think (among other causes), that world events leading up to the season 2 release put things in an uncomfortable perspective for some.

Sorry if I'm being obtuse...what world events? Trump's election and the rise of white supremacist/neo-nazis, I'm presuming>

Slothful Bong posted:

I'm on the VFX side, so I was only able to leave my mark there.

I thought the effects were one of the strongest parts of the whole series. Loved the look of Berlin and the Albert Speer architecture come to life. Absolutely incredible to see what would have been.

Slothful Bong posted:

This leads to the neat situation where a show I worked on for 8 months can have story beats that completely surprise me. The joe death was one, and while I thought we might see him later on or in S4, I wasn't upset when we didn't.

I thought for sure that Joe would make a reappearance...seemed like the Portal was designed for just that sort of thing, but so it goes.

Slothful Bong posted:

I don't know anything about the Tagomi situation besides public rumors, but I would've loved to have him in s4 :(. Cary is a great actor, and his Tagomi was such a key part of the first three seasons.

Yeah, agree that this was a huge loss.

Slothful Bong posted:

The research involved with the CG work was so drat cool. Visiting a US Battleship in California, gathering photo reference in NYC, studying architecture, vehicles, clothing. I spent many hours going down a Japanese Navy livery rabbit hole, and figured out what kinds of Camo patterns would've existed at the time. I know I even spent some time on period-correct street sign fonts!

The research efforts definitely showed. My wife and I were continually amazed by the attention to detail on everything.

Slothful Bong posted:

Being involved with such a great team was also a blessing. Everyone worked their asses off, and we were definitely punching above our weight with team-size. I'm still amazed that we've gotten the recognition we have (2 VFX Emmy nominations, 3? 4? VES nominations), especially being up against shows like GoT and Stranger Things.

I would definitely say that it was a win for you guys to be in the mix with GoT and Stranger Things. Congratulations on all you and the team accomplished, and thanks for an entertaining (but still uneven :)) series!

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Slothful Bong posted:

Amazon is tight lipped about this for everything so I only have a laymans perspective - but I think (among other causes), that world events leading up to the season 2 release put things in an uncomfortable perspective for some.

I'm on the VFX side, so I was only able to leave my mark there. And due to the way this stuff works I generally don't know non-pertinent plot ahead of release.

This leads to the neat situation where a show I worked on for 8 months can have story beats that completely surprise me. The joe death was one, and while I thought we might see him later on or in S4, I wasn't upset when we didn't.

I don't know anything about the Tagomi situation besides public rumors, but I would've loved to have him in s4 :(.
Cary is a great actor, and his Tagomi was such a key part of the first three seasons.

The research involved with the CG work was so drat cool. Visiting a US Battleship in California, gathering photo reference in NYC, studying architecture, vehicles, clothing. I spent many hours going down a Japanese Navy livery rabbit hole, and figured out what kinds of Camo patterns would've existed at the time. I know I even spent some time on period-correct street sign fonts!

Being involved with such a great team was also a blessing. Everyone worked their asses off, and we were definitely punching above our weight with team-size. I'm still amazed that we've gotten the recognition we have (2 VFX Emmy nominations, 3? 4? VES nominations), especially being up against shows like GoT and Stranger Things.

Hey just to throw it out there the look and design and work put in on the things you are talking about were definitely some of my favourite parts of the series. Even when I felt things were uneven it was definitely a great looking program. Thanks for your hard work :)

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
So I just finished this and let me echo the following sentiments

1) this was a visually spectacular show that was generally a good watch and broadly speaking I enjoyed its portrayal of the oft-repeated banality of evil and its focus on the everyday lives of terrible people.

2) gently caress that finale.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

So I just finished it too. The world building and VFX were amazing. The last episode was great right through Smith killing himself. If only it stopped there. For a little bit I thought they were going to go with some sort of interdimensional monster coming out of the portal ala Stranger Things, and I thought that could have been kind of fun and interesting if handled the right way. It would have really changed the show though, and late in the game so it would have been tough.

I agree that it felt a little rushed but I'm grateful that Prime gave them a chance to wrap it up. Overall 8/10.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I just wish they had had a super advanced Soviet battalion invade through the portal, from an alternate reality where the Soviets crushed the Nazis and emerged as the superpower.

It would have been a fittingly dark end to a dystopian show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
But what if they played it off as communism working. Stalin was killed at some point and they ended up making the communist Utopia instead of the authoritarian dictatorship it became.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Holy loving poo poo the last season was bad. I binged through the show in a few weeks, and it was uneven throughout but mostly more good than bad -- until the last season. It felt like they crammed two or three seasons' worth of stuff into PART of one season, and everything was insanely rushed.

The Japanese just decide to gently caress off overnight and then a month later there's a panicked rush of packing and rushing for ships like a loving hung over college student who overslept and realized his plane home leaves in an hour. That could've been a season right there, instead of like two scenes.

The rest of the season just felt like the writers couldn't come up with any logical paths to get where they wanted to go, so suddenly John Smith and Nazi General just loving murder the entire Nazi high command in one scene and take over the entire loving Nazi regime by themselves. Why the gently caress not! A couple hundred rag tag resistance guys just completely loving demolish a huge nazi stronghold in a matter of minutes, because why the gently caress not! Juliana Crain is now a super commando, because why the gently caress not! The Japanese just decide to abandon a crucial area because a supposedly massively powerful faction -- which we introduced 5 minutes earlier but trust us they've been there all along and they're SUPER POWERFUL GUYS -- suddenly flips on God Mode and starts blowing poo poo up, which apparently nobody thought to do earlier?

Even the scenes that could have been good were so rushed and loving hamfisted, like the scene of the admiral's supposed execution where Kido almost literally does a repeat of the awful Game of Thrones last second "I sentence you to death ... EVIL MASTERMIND" *riflemen do a 180* reversal. I get what they were going for: Kido was struggling with his conscience until the last second but loving god damnit it was hacky.

And the loving ending. Holy poo poo I can't remember the last time a show fumbled the finale this badly. With the exception of the final scene all of this could've been good, if they'd given it time. Introduced and set up the BCR properly over time. Given more than a last minute courtesy nod at the idea that the Japanese government were thinking of giving up the west coast (why? They crucially need the oil), given more than loving five minutes to the elimination of the entire Nazi high command... ugh.

E: oh and Kido just joining the Yakuza in literally 5 seconds.

E2: and nothing against the BCR. I think the idea of a bunch of black Americans going "uhh, about that American dream, it ain't so dreamy for us" is a great idea and worth exploring, but like so much in this season it just came out of nowhere and happened too quick.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 30, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I don't believe they were expecting this to be the final season, hence the crazy rush to the end. It seems they always were going to end the show with an assault on the portal but I don't think what we got was what was originally intended.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

enraged_camel posted:

I just wish they had had a super advanced Soviet battalion invade through the portal, from an alternate reality where the Soviets crushed the Nazis and emerged as the superpower.

It would have been a fittingly dark end to a dystopian show.

When they established "you can only cross over if you aren't alive in this dimension" I totally thought an Israeli army was going to march through and wreck the reich.

Astroman posted:

A book, not a tv show:

https://www.amazon.com/Presence-Mine-Enemies-Harry-Turtledove/dp/0451459598

It's by Harry Turtledove, who for a Jewish guy seems to have an odd fixation with Nazis and Nazi analogues in his alt history, but he's great at world building and as a standalone it's less bloated and daunting than his multi-book epics. It's pretty much Man in the High Castle in the 1980s, where the Nazis won WWII and have had 40 years to rule the world. You get a lot of what you see in High Castle, where you have Speer's architectural vision of Berlin come true (this book was the first thing that came to my mind when we saw Berlin in the show). It explores what the world would really be like day to day for people in a multi-decade Nazi Reich, and hits on culture and stuff too.

One of the main theories that he has is that you can't keep up the cartoonish evil of the Nazis at Level 100 forever, and eventually inertia would set in, erosion of Evil Principles, and a softening up. What you get is an interesting take, a Fall of the Soviet Union analogue where there starts to be coups and reform a la the history of the USSR under Gorbachev in the 80s. Less a Resistance bringing things down, more of a rebuttal to 1984--maybe a total police state can't keep it's boot on everyone forever. It also is told from the perspective of secret jews living in the Reich, and how they cope.

That one is ok, it's Turtledove stretching a decent short story into a padded full length novel. A better thought out "Germany winning" story he wrote is "The Last Article" where in occupied India, Gandhi and Nehru try to begin a non-violence campaign against the occupiers. It's bleak. "Ready for the Fatherland" is another interesting take where Germany doesn't win, but neither do the allies as the war stops in 1943, then skips ahead to 1979 where the nazis are in a Cold War with the US and Soviets.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Anyone tried SS-GB on Netflix?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
See, I thought the ending was terrible* because Thomas didn't lead the charge through the portal to wreck the Nazis.

*At least one reason of many

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Marmaduke! posted:

Anyone tried SS-GB on Netflix?

Watched it on iPlayer. It’s very small in scope, and rather low budget compared to MitHC - basically a detective show. I won’t be worried if they don’t make more.

2 alternative history novels I’m aware of that are pretty fun are:

Making History by Stephen Fry https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Making_History_(novel)

Gay British guy time travels to prevent Hitler being born, gets back and it’s all worse.

Weapons of Choice by John Birmingham https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/72989.Weapons_of_Choice

Kinda stupid setup, but results in a bunch of present day military ships from various countries being transported back to WW2.

They get involved on various sides. Tech gets reverse engineered, things go differently. But by far the most interesting thing is the way the novel looks at the impact of an electronic archive of *all present day popular culture and 20th century world history* suddenly existing. And being made available.

The Nazis can see a detailed analysis of where their strategy went wrong.

Some abuse the power (like Biff Tannen with the Sports Almanac) for personal gain - e.g. just go and sign a young Elvis Presley to a record contract.

Also, imagine seeing how the 60s racial struggles go down 20 years earlier than they actually happened.

Not the greatest novel, but filled with interesting ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

wooger posted:

Watched it on iPlayer. It’s very small in scope, and rather low budget compared to MitHC - basically a detective show. I won’t be worried if they don’t make more.

2 alternative history novels I’m aware of that are pretty fun are:

Making History by Stephen Fry https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Making_History_(novel)

Gay British guy time travels to prevent Hitler being born, gets back and it’s all worse.

Weapons of Choice by John Birmingham https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/72989.Weapons_of_Choice

Kinda stupid setup, but results in a bunch of present day military ships from various countries being transported back to WW2.

They get involved on various sides. Tech gets reverse engineered, things go differently. But by far the most interesting thing is the way the novel looks at the impact of an electronic archive of *all present day popular culture and 20th century world history* suddenly existing. And being made available.

The Nazis can see a detailed analysis of where their strategy went wrong.

Some abuse the power (like Biff Tannen with the Sports Almanac) for personal gain - e.g. just go and sign a young Elvis Presley to a record contract.

Also, imagine seeing how the 60s racial struggles go down 20 years earlier than they actually happened.

Not the greatest novel, but filled with interesting ideas.

I love the parts where disco music becomes wildly popular with people from the 40s, and Prince Harry (transported while still doing active military service) meets the royal family and they have to figure if he's in the line of succession or not.