Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/10/1/17925774/jon-jones-responds-to-gsps-ped-criticism-i-guess-brain-damage-is-real
Jon Jones tried to snitch on GSP and failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I.N.R.I posted:

i think its possible for him to beat jon jones. the first fight was a good showing even if he lost every round. he landed some hard uppercuts. and in the second fight jones was definitely on steroids. maybe cormier was too but theres no evidence to suggest he was

I wonder if DC not wanting to fight JBJ at heavy is just cuz he thinks Jon would put on the extra weight with extra juice, endangering the fight and DC's chances.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

What specifically is none of his business tho

How to keep the UFC product from deteriorating.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Nierbo posted:

JT money in trouble with USADA again.

https://imgur.com/a/r4BJ2JU

Wtf is clomiphene?
... two sentences later...
Trace amounts wouldn't do poo poo anyways.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

It's used for post cycle therapy after roiding so estrogen doesn't spike and all that, or if you're an infertile woman. JT is not one of those things

:thejoke:

The Automator posted:

Wasn't there a guy with a 0-0-0 record on the ppv card last weekend?

Like, yeah bellator has made huge strides but it's still lacking talent

From my gymmate, it's a money/risk thing.
He's like 4-3 with a couple of Bellator wins, and he's getting offered <5k to fight someone who's 10-2.
Being televised is great, but not to get squashed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Browsing the fight odds. I'm a bit surprised Pettis is a +300 underdog. I know he's had a drop off and switching weight classes but it's obvious he's still dangerous.

I feel like Pettis doesn't have one shot power, and against a more unorthodox striker in Ferguson, he's gonna have trouble landing at a good rhythm enough to test Tony's chin.
He may or may not be able to do something tricky on the ground, but even there he's at best a match for Tony.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Skip My Posts posted:

effort x consistency = confidence

drat, not ready for MMAth 201.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

TheTofuShop posted:

Black Beast made weight at 265.5

Half pound allowance at HW up in this ho.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rigel posted:

The main event is on!!! Conor weighed in a half pound under and promptly walked off.

All business, eh.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

FishBowlRobot posted:

I wonder how long everyone will pretend or be ignorant that Conor swung first at Khabib’s team on the cage.

Best sequence of the brawl:
https://twitter.com/RamGilboa/status/1048808154111336448
I love that this could have been way different if Conor'd had enough energy to mantle over the fence.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Untrustable posted:

They can both be dumb idiots who don't deserve attention. I'm done with both of them. Don't care to see either one fight again.

There are tons of good fighters in every division (except lhw)

Oh there's one very good fighter at LHW. Just not one that the godfather of Oildome might approve of.

I have no qualms about it -- I want to see Tony x Conor or Tony x Khabib.

Still trying to digest some aspects of Tony's pressure game. He came into range with the front kick and alternated inside leg kicks. A classic counter tactic to pressure is inside kicks, and Pettis didn't throw any. I think Tony's hands are just powerful enough and he was tricky enough with the front kick that Pettis didn't want to risk sticking around to throw his inside kick. His ranginess and speed already make it hard to land, but his weird punching game is hard to commit against. You basically have to throw hard over his dropped hands and hope he's in range.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lid posted:

Remember that time Conor jumped into the cage and attacked Marc Goddard

What's important is that Dana doesn't.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mekchu posted:

Shaun Al Shati pointed out that Conor is 1-3 in his big PPV events. Eventually his appeal is gonna wear off but given how long people wore Affliction clothing, it won't be anytime soon.

Is that counting.... canceled events?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Beat Diaz once, lost to Diaz once, lost to Floyd, lost to Khabib

Goddamn, I didn't think the boxing match could ever count against Conor for his casual fan drawing power.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

It's just kind of incredible to think about. Conor paid hundreds of thousands of dollars and flew in the top people to train against that specifically. He was betting his reputation that he could stop that and he was just completely unable to do it.

Let's say he had hurt Khabib in the 2nd and actually rocked him in the 3rd -- then people would have doubled down on saying that Conor had a puncher's chance. I guess I could even be fine with a rematch if Khabib had gotten significantly hurt at some point. But instead of dusting himself off and getting a KO like against Chad, Conor was just too beat.

I don't think it's surprising that he couldn't close up the gap in grappling over one training camp, nor should it be weird that he hired people to even attempt that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

Either his brain is rattled or he has heard that Khabib is going to be suspended for more than a year.

E: or both
Or he just dgaf about losing and getting right back into The Mac Life.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Automator posted:

"mega ton bum and wanded NO pat of it"

Really took a turn with that accent there.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

The fight actually was a lot closer than I thought. I've rewatched it a few times. Conor's defensiveness on the ground is pretty good compared to many people Khabib has fought. He took his licks and got his rear end sat down by a punch which nobody saw coming but he did come back and win that third.

I think a big proportion of Conor's landed strikes must be those palm heels to Khabib's ears while he was grappling. Those in net were a mild distraction.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I ignored whatever Dana said -- officially Jones wasn't coming til next year, right?

I've been catching up on Ballers on HBO, and when Ricky gets busted by his family for a bottle of test, he goes "what you think I'm going Jonny Bones Jones now?"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Combat sambo allows striking and grappling, so some of the blended striking tactics you see are uncommon in conventional MMA training synthesized without sambo. Independent evolution always happens, and thus Hendo's BRH into single leg.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What's the deal with the withheld pay -- is that on the UFC or NSAC? I know Dana said it was NSAC holding onto a check that UFC, what, gave them for escrow?
Do athletic commissions always have last say on purses?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Constellation I posted:

Scott Coker, let's set up Khabib vs Danis

Would not pay for this but strongly down to watch. Catchweight at whatever Danis' weight is.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Can Irish be chavs? Asking for a friend.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

raton posted:

a lot of top tier MMA fighters seem to go with "I knock out in two or else I just breathe hard and lay on the fence for the rest of it"

raton posted:

I have a fairly significant amount of MMA experience and have trained with some people whose names everyone on here would immediately recognize.

I don't see how one mind could hold both of these thoughts.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

does anyone actually believe that conor didn't train for khabib's striking? i don't.

I could believe Kavanaugh is that bad of a coach, yes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Conor did try to strike while being grappled, and he wasn't able to generate any power between having no base and having to hit 6 inches away from him with his long arms.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lungboy posted:

Wow, Khabib beat Conor so badly Sinéad O'Connor converted to Islam.

Mastered the meta game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I.N.R.I posted:

whats the problem officer *flexes every single muscle in his body* just eating my #CupNoodle haha

:hmmyes:

• Locked thread