Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Khabib is basically the most evolved version of a schoolyard bully. His fighting style makes you feel at any moment he could hold the other guys hands and make them punch themselves while yelling STOP HITTING YOURSELF at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

neonburzt posted:

Is there anything that this man will not say? I watched the post fight presser and he actually swored on his daughter’s life that he was disappointed at how the event ended.

I sure hope that he meant all that and we don’t end up seeing a clip of the brawl being used in a promo in six months time.

It's also possible to be disappointed on a personal ethical level (lmao ethics and Dana in the same conversation) while business wise having $$$ flash in your eyes.

He's a loving Trump supporting republican, these guys compartmentalize that stuff. Obviously it's certainly not a consistent or reasonable world view, but in his brain I'm pretty sure he can be both the disappointed parent and the guy making hype videos next week.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Honestly a Conor Aldo rematch would be dope, that fight deserves to be longer than 8 seconds. Dunno if Conor thinks it's a money fight, but it makes sense given where both of them are at right now. Has Aldo ever talked about if he's sticking out his career at featherweight? I feel like people have been saying he's gonna move up to lightweight for like the last 7 years but here we are.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
hang on a sec lets check in on russia

https://twitter.com/PoacherFirmino/status/1049399512446500864

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I watched with my friend who doesn't normally watch MMA and watching him get increasingly angry at fouls not being called was great. I'm just numb to it at this point.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

mewse posted:

The gassiest HW in the division vs the “embrace the grind” guy

I love the black beast but goddamn how the hell is that guy 9-1 over the last 3 years. Heavyweights, man.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Can conor gently caress off and get a win before getting a rematch?

Of course not

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It'll print money so everyone involved is gonna agree to it in appropriately 0.5 seconds but man, this sport is dumb.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Don't people usually have suspensions after they've been beaten on for 3 rounds? Christ. Even if he was healthy with a full camp he'd probably be a huge underdog, but this is some real lamb to the slaughter poo poo.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I haven't been following the news cycle, why are we planning heavyweight title fights on three weeks notice exactly? Thats the MSG show, right? I guess they lost something and are desperate for a high profile headliner but I can't for the life of me rememeber how we got here.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

spb posted:

Can�t wait to watch DC lay on the beast for 5 rounds.

I think TBB is gonna fall over from sheer exhaustion and die to hammerfists in the 4th at the absolute latest, probably earlier.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Guess that's why they were so desperate to do the HW title that day.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Yeah, but after that...:psyduck:

Oh man, just googled it. I haven't kept up with the b-leagues in years so I had no idea he was both a wife beater and compulsively grabbed other peoples dicks.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Gay Horney posted:

he's gonna take the belt and put it next to the super bowl ring

Lmao

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Khabib is kinda dumb but the UFC basically poured gasoline everywhere and then acted surprised when it was set on fire.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Skip My Posts posted:

black beast is in worse shape than any UFC guy actually in contention for any title? i think so probably by a lot

He beat Mark Hunt and absorbed his fat and tired legacy

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I've never seen this guy in the boxing thread either so I think he's just a weirdo tbh.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Mark Hunt is actually the one man in the last three years that beat Derrick Lewis.

gently caress, somehow i had that backwards, poo poo.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Man you know what these professional athletes should do? Train cardio. Bet they've never done that before. I should be a coach.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

man it took me 5 minutes of googling to figure out that diego didn't have a quick b-league stint before i understood the joke and i feel bad for myself now.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I like that Nate has gone from creating his own divisions on the fly to daring them to fire him because gently caress it why not

Nate asking to be fired to try to renegotiate his contract for every fight is a time honoured tradition.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Skip My Posts posted:

NFL guys did that back when Conor first brought that out and it’s sick

honestly i'm kinda glad that it's made its way into sports canon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB7DmfgqVrA

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

willie_dee posted:

I know 2 people personally in the UFC. One went to train with Team Alpha Male to get UFC level training, one picked SBG.

One won his first fight with British Wrestling, the other got wrestled and submitted in R1.

Guess which one is which.

The Alpha Male guy won, the SBG "wrestler" got annihilated.

The local hotshot from my town (Hakeem Dawodu) decided trying to do a camp at SBG for his first UFC fight and got starched in 1 minute. Obviously you can't blame that on the gym and the guy doesn't expliclty poo poo talk the team, but whenever he's asked about he tends to make a quick remark about how the camp didn't go the way he was hoping before changing the subject.

He trained at home (with a couple of dates at some other gyms for sparring practice) for his last fight and looked...much better and won his 2nd fight with a dominant decision. I mean, obviously there's no way to not look better no matter what you do coming back after a 1 minute loss. But he certainly hasn't exactly been very excited to endorse SBG.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Maybe I'm gonna start having to pay attention to b leagues again, I honestly haven't bothered since the strikeforce days. Its weird. There's like this decade long cycle of the UFC buying orgs and stealing their talent and people slowly leaving until some other b league gets big enough and the ufc buys them again. And we're definitely in one of those roster low points because WME has been super willing to let people walk if they're not explicit money makers/fighters have a better understanding these of their value and are looking to get paid.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Pretty much all of the releases except Gegard Mousasi (and even though he's great he's not ever going to really be a title contender in the UFC) have shown that they were good cuts. Rory is beating up Bellator WWs, but he wasn't going to be fighting for the WW title again in the UFC and Mousasi just schooled him.

I don't think anyone is going to poach an actual contender from WME. They've done pretty well in maintaining people and letting the journeymen go off and collect a paycheck elsewhere.

This is true, but there also have been years where you could look at the UFC and they'd have locked down the top 15 fighters in a weight class. Now it's like oh of you're in the lower half of the top 10 and arent popular and can't win a title here, ehh, gently caress it, go to Bellator.

I mean it makes sense businesse wise, but its certainly created a handful of compelling fights outside the UFC. By fight nerd status anyways yes i know we're not the target audience

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
how is it possible there are so many people here willing to listen to brendan schaub talk

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Like 90% of gyms outside of supercamps make a significant percentage of their income from people training for fitness. With the exception of the highest tiers of guys its pretty common for UFC people to still be teaching classes. So if you're in a city with ufc athletes doing combat sports at any level there's a high chance of meeting them.

I've mentioned training with Hakeem Dawodu before years ago. Tbh I don't even know if he still coaches at the gym I was at....you know what he found that paid better? A hipster cardio boxercise studio. He hustled shirts through it to help fund his last camp.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Southpaugh posted:

Considering everyone was saying he was going to be completely dominated and brutalised I think he did do pretty well, defensively. He was never going to submit khabib. He lost the mental edge when khabib floored him with that right after that khabib didn't respect his striking and just did his thing.

Everyone (in the know) said it was a mostly pick em fight with Khabib as a slight favourite but the also with the possibility of him getting starched cause he walks into punches.

Everyone not in the know was pretty sure Conor was gonna starch a bitch.

Saying everyone thought he was gonna get smashed is some revisionist poo poo.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

evobatman posted:

This is probably a dumb question and I think I might even have asked it before.

What if you are in a situation like Conor was with Khabib locking up his legs, and instead of desperately trying to defend against his wrestling, you focus on doing damage to his head or soft parts of the body with lots of punching? We did see that guy who got knocked out by hammerfists while grappling just a few weeks ago.

It's really hard to generate power from that position so usually you just end up annoying the guy while getting taken down even quicker.

There's obviously a few guys who have had success with it. Aside from the already mentioned stuff, Browne/Barnett comes to mind. But yeah, in general it's not a super successful strategy.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Foul Fowl posted:

mousasi is the world's most frustrating fighter. his potential was sky high. then he drew with keith jardine.

That was a robbery but also really really funny

See also: varner/shalorus

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

you're just going about it the wrong way. know your audience: you shouldn't say "bolsanaro is a horrific fascist who will cause immense pain and anguish on the poor and vulnerable of brazil, specifically LGBT folks", you should say "sage northcutt is now at risk if he fights in brazil"

heh

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

lmao

(i am laughing at mike perry, not with him)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Who do you think lasts longer, Bulger in gen pop or Black Beast against Cormier?

• Locked thread