Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
if the ufc only supported the rising podcast game they'd be able to sell more ppv's, tanking their net worth in the process (natch)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
yeah, this poo poo looks like a fireman calendar. i want the gritty, amateur stuff that screams hard gay sex has either just happened or is just about to happen or both

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lolling @ these ppv buy estimates.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Why are you so obsessed with this

It's gone beyond weird man

CommonShore posted:

I think he's just seeing if he can get banned for the stupidest possible reason. You know, for science.

Just out of curiosity which one of you reported him last time for making fun of IT workers (the people who code computers and make our lives easier, and should never be disparaged)?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Conor's game plan off his back against Chad was to implore the referee with his eyes. It was the same look women give other women at the club when I try my best computer pick up line.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I honestly did not expect people to be so hilariously defensive about the IT profession. The reaction was definitely severe enough and hysterical enough that I will think twice about making a computer joke in the future.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

swarming styles tend to do really poorly against elite counter punchers which is why eddie got so soundly thrashed. however conor did really well against an out-boxer like nate too. i think conor's just a pretty good fighter. i don't think either of these things says very much about how khabib will fare. i think khabib will land a couple of those really awkward arcing punches because conor will be really worried about the takedown, and as long as khabib methodically plods in and doesn't run in with his chin up he won't get sparked, which means i think conor's in for a long night. that's my official prediction. lock it in. let's put some hilarious bets down.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Vitamin Boss posted:

I'd say Josh Thomson is a more well-rounded striker who made excellent use of kicks vs. Diaz whereas Conor loves to box and is probably the best at it at 155 atm

josh thomson in his prime was a loving excellent fighter. and great fun to watch.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

I'd love to look at Josh Thomson in the Metal Gear Solid 3 Injury Viewer

lol

i wish josh wasn't robbed in his final fight with gil, but he made up for that by annihilating nate so brutally that nick threw the towel in.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Volkov and Lewis trying to lamp each other was legitimately more fighting than happened in Lewis' last fight.

lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I'll take Khabib.

look at the balls on this *record scratch* IT nerd?!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

murdered by cortxbomb

.... hey manyak, if you're out there, just let me know you're ok man. please don't be raped and murdered by cortxbomb.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

VagueRant posted:

Hey UFC thread, I need to know who to MORALLY root for again!

I've skipped all the crazy Conor press this time around because the bus thing has really soured me on Conor and his antics. It's so hosed up and so dumb and he only got away with it because of capitalism. My nuclear take is he should be in prison (with Jon Jones) and not allowed to fight. Actually a prison fight between those two could be- never mind.

But Khabib has always seemed kind of unlikeable and maybe not a good guy and hangs with and supports some really shady people? His smesh style is interesting and his Russianised English is charming ("Is not my bus.") though. So can I be pro-Khabib and still have good chakras, positive karma, and go to heaven? TIA.

Oh also I don't know poo poo about Pettis and am rooting for Ugly Tony purely because he's so weird (ninja turtles and all), and I also want the stars to align for him to FINALLY fight Khabib.

khabib hates rap concerts and loves being a devout muslim, so basically i'm completely up for watching either one of them get embarrassed and brutally retired and it's honestly the best way to root for an upcoming match. get about it.

nothing wrong with rooting for ugly tony. he may be an absolute lunatic who speaks like he's on lethal doses of hallucinogens all the time but at least he doesn't expect chicks he brings home to gently caress his seedy uncle who has been masturbating in the corner for 25 minutes

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lloyd Boner posted:

Conor is a can, dude barely beat Nate Diaz lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

threeagainstfour posted:

Khabib dropped Conor with one of his wild rear end punches

they are really effective when your opponent is poo poo scared of getting taken down and drowned.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

it felt like the first diaz fight in that he gave up his back and neck to be choked unopposed because he was tired of being beaten on. he will never fight khabib again in a million years. there is literally not enough time left in his athletic prime to prepare for that man. it was such a one sided beating that i was genuinely embarrassed for conor and his fans in an empathetic way - i thought barboza was the best lightweight on earth.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

JaySB posted:

Conor/Diaz 3 and ride off into the sunset. Conor has nothing for Tony.

conor has nothing for the guy who got brutally rocked and nearly finished by the guy with pillows for fists?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I still think Conor/Barboza would be a fun fight.

loving ay, and i think barboza would eat him alive, because he is the *recollects painful memories* second best lightweight in the world

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

JaySB posted:

Correct

ah rightyoh. that would put conor below tony... and below vannata.... and below, er, drakkar close. conor somehow became chael in actuality

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

ghouldaddy07 posted:

I did not mean that Khabib should not have won , but that Mcgregor just flailed aimlessly instead of counter punching like the Alverez fight. Still cocaine is a hell of a drug..

lol. khabib is not a swarmer and adamantly refused to run chin first into conor. it turns out that when conor punches someone who isn't running into his fist he's... just a pretty good puncher but nothing too special. sorry to destroy the illusion

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mekchu posted:

Also all the WWF people crying that its a work in the GDT thread is comical as gently caress to me.

did they really? i love those guys. they're so loving weird and earnest.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Not only that, but it's actually all of us who are dumb as heck for not seeing through the charade :rolleyes:

wrestling guys are good. to poop on.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

just tell him danis was gay and instead of a beating he'll get a parade and possibly a medal

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Conor was completely ineffective except for literally one punch where he lamped khabib pretty loving hard and khabib turned his head and spat while looking bored.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i want to see khabib vs gsp more than anything

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Hahahaha uncanny.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Gaethje would do it too. He's coming off a sick win but he's nowhere near the title picture.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

are they taking dc's belt off him for no reason other than to make gus / jones 2 a title fight?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The probation of Skip My Posts for laughing at that idiot is egregious because laughing at this particular type of idiot is a time honoured tradition in this forum dating back to the halcyon days of mobn, and maybe even earlier.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

I'd like to see the John Malkovich promo for Khabib/Ferguson where Tony comes on screen and Malkovich just starts murmuring 'what the gently caress' over and over again as the music crescendos.

lmao

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

been to only two events, which is pretty good considering how often the ufc is between 1500 and 3000kms away from me (to be clear, these are the events that are close to me). had a genuine loving blast at both of them and saw some spectacular fights (hunt / bigfoot 1, ronda / holm). it really is worth going just for the atmosphere. the crowd is usually really well behaved unfortunately because like 40% of the attendees have travelled significant distances to be there and don't want to get kicked out for brawling.

Shine posted:

I went to some random local MMA show with kensei and digitalmocking a couple years ago, and it was a blast. The highlight was some freckle-faced kid making his amateur debut. I assume he was 18, but he looked about 14.

He looked terrified as soon as the bell rang and the other guy charged him, like "WHY THE gently caress WOULD ANYBODY AGREE TO THIS?", but in the second round he collected himself, rocked the other guy and wailed on him for a TKO. It was loving dope.

i try to go to all my local ammy events and one kickboxing night stands out in my memory: it's one of the opening fights and the contestants are still kids, like, 15 or 16 years old. the first kid comes out and he looks like a really solid kid. the guy who came out second had a fashionable haircut and looked kind of thin and sort of, er, feminine, and as he's walking to the ring the crowd starts chanting 'bieber, bieber, bieber'. well. bieber took the ribbing from the crowd, manufactured it into pure hate, and straight out of the gate landed this spinning back kick to the liver of his opponent causing a sound to emit from that kid that i can still hear and the crowd just goes silent and scattered, shocked applause briefly appears. it was thoroughly loving sick and violent and just an interesting time and place to be alive. shout outs to that bieber kid. hope he's doing well.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

overeem and lombard accepting that award is like crab walking up and snatching a '1 year' token off a sponsor with more needles currently in the body than that chick in the pit in saw 2.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bluedeanie posted:

I resisted the urge to post this for a few pages so I wouldn't accidentally make that person feel validated for posting obviously incorrect information gleaned from the idle user comments on an Ariel Helwani tweet as a potentially credible rumor, but unironic lol if you think the successful highly politicially connected Russian athlete isn't on a bunch of cutting edge gear.

nah i watched icarus. they're just on good ol steroids, the catch being they do super secret spy poo poo to swap the dirty sample for clean ones.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

That section of Icarus where the journalist is explaining to the testers just how easily the Russians bypassed their systems, and the one lady looks like she's about to cry was a hell of a thing.

Then they faced basically zero repercussions for any of it :sigh:

it was the most batshit insane documentary i've seen since tickled for sure. the shift in gears between steroids guy getting swole and international spy poo poo was possibly the most jarring gear shift i've ever seen in a documentary.

but yeah i don't know what you're supposed to do to russia when accusing them of doing the very bad thing at the sports. they shot down a passenger airliner and completely got away with it. winning sporting medals doesn't even sort of rate on the give-a-gently caress scale.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

theyve pioneered things in the past. most recently the "xenon doping" thing which was of dubious benefit but it wasnt detectable at the time

yeah. meldonium too went undetected for a humiliating amount of time. that said, last i heard about russian doping was the icarus scandal and yeah just run of the mill steroids.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Why cant i find a copy of this malkovich promo anywhere now

all good man i'm working on a new promo for khabib / ferg where it's just ferg doing oly lifts on a bosu ball and every time khabib says something the reply is that scene from being john malkovich where that guy says 'i loved you in that movie where you played that retard' and john replies in an effeminate whisper 'thank you' and then it goes back to khabib talking about piss testing for courage and then, yep, straight back to the sound bite

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

mewse posted:

Well you convinced me to watch it and holy poo poo :stare:

yeah man sounds like you had the same experience everyone else did. it's loving crazy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

roids are so loving good that the state will arrange a highly covert espionage mission to corrupt the proceedings of a series of events no one outside of like, a group of 30 stoners / skiers in Aspen, gives a single poo poo about

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

mewse posted:

That guy gave up his wife, his home, his family over doping in amateur sports

lol, yeah, and absolutely no one really gave a gently caress and nothing really changed. there was the perfunctory scowling and shaking of heads and proclamations that it simply will not do but that guy left everything for no loving reason other than to temporarily embarrass a murderous head of state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Gay Horney posted:

it's kind of wild how perfect that ufc ppv was. nobody missed weight, the fights were all incredible and everything lived up to the highest expectations we had.

the card in general was very good but the ppv was mostly terrible except for the main / comain.

still, it is absolutely an achievement and legitimately notable that nobody stopped a fighter's weight cut while being supremely unqualified to make that call yet suitably empowered. and no one else missed weight the usual way. and nobody got hurt in a bus, or went to prison, or hosed up his leg on a stray piece of AV equipment.

• Locked thread