Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FishBowlRobot posted:

Who the gently caress is Amy Kaplan?

She's been reporting on the UFC forever.

Pettis and ferg is a cool match up. Ferg should smash him but Pettis still kicks loving hard and seems to find a way to get them into the body and head with a certain frequency and Tony is still extremely hittable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

McGregor is probably the most accurate striker since Anderson in his prime in MMA.

There is absolutely a difference between him and everyone else Khabib has fought.

With respect to Barboza who's probably one of the best pure strikers going around McGregor is much better at knocking people out. Edson has two knockouts in 5 years and the similarities as far as striking goes... aren't exactly numerous.

Eddie Alvarez took shots to the dome from RDA, Pettis, Melendez. Took everything Cerrone threw at him at well and stayed up. When McGregor cracked him his world ended.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The quality of card Bellator puts together still isn't on par - despite protestations in this thread the last two or three ppvs have been really loving good.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

For all his brain damage schaub was still smart enough to mock the UFC for not making poirer and Diaz the main for the 165 pound title.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Gay Horney posted:

There's nothing special about the guy who knocked out aldo and Alvarez like it was child's play? Alvarez still hasn't been knocked out since or really made to look like that at all and he's been in hell wars. I'm far from a Conor dick rider but this is revisonist

I agree. Saying khabib has fought a rangy southpaw is like saying conor has defended take downs.

It's a new level of danger for them both.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

G-Hawk posted:

if i was dying "fly me out to see conor mcgregor get smashed by an insane dagestani" would honestly be reasonably high on my list of requests too

Lemme hit a titty bar and see a magic show and it's a pretty good weekend.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

As someone who only really watched because a friend told me to watch it with him and I had nothing better to do, deffo didn't seem staged but if the Nevada Commission doesn't lay some sort of hammer (which people seem to be implying they will do?) then I'd entertain the idea (but not really).

I really liked that Ferguson guy though.

Athletic commissions are a bunch of self congratulatory, nepotistic, petty cunts. So yeah, they'll drop the hammer.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

It's truly painful to read the hot takes ITT about Conor dropping his hands. He does it to draw people in, he's always done it and it's always worked (sans Diaz) until now. Khabib has also used his "eagle punch" to drop people faking take downs on multiple occasions. None of this was particularly strange or surprising.

It's also really dumb to see everyone going "if khabib gets punished conor should...."

Conor was punished and he's still facing legal action which will probably be settled out of court.

His status in terms of fighting in New York again still isn't 100% clear either. At the time conor didn't have an active contract or a belt they could take off him either just fyi.

Dana has taken the same path with Khabib basically wait and see what the commission does from here and then the Ufc will make their decision. It's the same as it's always been.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Are you for real with this?

Yeah I'm for real. People are bitching that conor hasn't been punished. He has, by the appropriate authority. There's nothing inconsistent with it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Goodpart posted:

So the narrative that Khabib's striking is garbage was just imagined?

I dunno it seems like the part where everyone went nuclear the second Conor, who had never been dropped in any fight ever (including the one where he got TKO'd), got dropped by a supposedly awful striker would indicate that people were quite surprised!

Having one very effective technique that a fighter has used over and over again doesn't necessarily make them a good striker and no Khabib dropping conor with it wasn't a surprise to me given that inspite of his deficencies he hits loving hard.

Glover texeria has landed his right over the jab time and time and time and time and time again as a professional. It doesn't mean he's a great boxer. He's actually pretty average.

Dan Hardy actually did a really good breakdown of Khabibs Russian hook on his show. It's the one thing he does well in the stand up.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Byolante posted:

If you are for real why aren't you complaining that Conor hasn't been punished for starting the brawl in the cage then?

Starting the brawl in the cage is a really dumb way to phrase it. It's up there with "are you still beating your wife".

It's not as if Conor just attacked someone. He went after someone trying to climb over the cage and get to his cornermen and then got attacked from behind.

I wouldn't have a problem if the NSAC did fine him but clearly they decided not to, probably because he didn't instigate the entirety of the incident - Khabib did.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

John McCarthy has talked about this a little bit in the past. The above is right Herb warned him when he was using the cage etc to block khabib advancing position. When khabib was pounding him into paste while conors toes rested in the chain links there's not a lot of point in stopping the action taking a point and giving khabib back his position.

I get what you're saying about him letting it go but lol it wasn't making a difference at that point.

I'm thinking we're going to get Conor v Ferg when all this dust settles and that is extremely my poo poo.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

My new pet theory is that Conor got the big belly tattoo cuz he doesn't have good ab definition.

That was Dan Hardy's admitted reason.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ugh, at least that'll give me a chance to go for a beer run, or take a nap.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

for some reason i think raging al might sleep kevin lee

Kevin Lee is quietly probably the number 3 lightweight in the world behind khabib and Tony.

I think he smashes him.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Derrick Lewis has bad cardio and a broken back.

Derrick Lewis did not train to go 3 rounds

Derrick Lewis had hot balls

And... Derrick won.

Check mate athiests

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Heavy weights with cardio just ain't heavy weights.

Frankly I do not care for that notion.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kevin Lee is the man to beat kalabeeb.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dc owns on the mic. I hope the UFC keeps him around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dc, Rogan and Anik owns. Cruz is good but sometimes he meanders about a wrestling technique while the action has moves on.

Dc generally keeps it shorter and his excitement is cool and good.

• Locked thread