Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

People on my facebook seem to think Khabib is a "dirka dirka" and are thus cheering for McGregor to win in case anyone wanted a window into west texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BlindSite posted:

McGregor is probably the most accurate striker since Anderson in his prime in MMA.

There is absolutely a difference between him and everyone else Khabib has fought.

With respect to Barboza who's probably one of the best pure strikers going around McGregor is much better at knocking people out. Edson has two knockouts in 5 years and the similarities as far as striking goes... aren't exactly numerous.

Eddie Alvarez took shots to the dome from RDA, Pettis, Melendez. Took everything Cerrone threw at him at well and stayed up. When McGregor cracked him his world ended.

Conor has spent his career boxing up FWs. Eddie walked directly into McGregor’s power hand over and over. Chad$ said McGregor didn’t hit harder than a lot of FWs, but he was very accurate.

I think McGregor is a pick’em still against a guy like Barboza. Conor’s only chance is a lucky shot.

Remember when Urijah Faber picked up and just moved Conor when they squabbled outside a bathroom a few years ago?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

spb posted:

Saw interesting poll from bjj scout. Conor’s grappling vs Khabib’s striking: who wins?

Khabib has 8 ko/tkos while McGregor only has 1 submission.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dan Didio posted:

Khabib is claiming he's made weight five hours out from the weigh ins. Can't wait to see how he cocks this up.

I mean, he's on weight and just chillin. If he didn't have a rough cut, it's not a problem to stay on weight for a few hours.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Someone said a few pages ago that McGregor’s grappling has never been tested. It has, and it’s poo poo. His two losses are from getting choked out. Once by Nate and the other to one Joe Duffy who just loving schooled him on the ground. Likewise, Chad$ tossed him around like a ragdoll for two rounds.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Foul Fowl posted:

he swept nate but i can't remember if that was the first or second fight. and i mean he was dead on his feet before he got choked out, and the duffy loss is from like a decade ago. but i think you are that guy who said conor vs. barboza would be a pick em so i don't think anything will change your mind about conor not being an elite fighter.

I do think McGregor is a killer at FW but just a top 5 guy at LW. I never said he wasn’t elite, but rather that he’d just hang with the top guys at LW rather than just crush them.

The best display of McGregor’s grappling was against Max Holloway when he wrestled him to a decision after tearing his ACL in the first. He’s not a bad grappler, but he’s not even on the level of standard NCAA wrestlers. There is a monstrous gulf in the grappling game of McGregor and Nurmagomedov. Saying that doesn’t mean I’m saying Conor isn’t one of the best in the world. He just doesn’t have the chops to roll with the actual best.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Foul Fowl posted:

i don't really agree with your overall premise. it's not like either of them has fought anyone who resembles their opponent. i don't think anyone knows how this fight is really gonna go. maybe it's gonna look like ronda vs. holm. maybe it's gonna look like when gsp mashed up serra in the rematch.

Khabib has fought rangy south paws. McGregor has never fought anyone like Khabib. There’s nothing special about McGregor’s striking. There is with Khabib’s grappling, though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Conor is a hell of a fighter. I'm not saying that he isn't. But he also went 1-1 with Nate Diaz with Nate beating the gently caress out of him in the first and took two rounds in the rematch. Nate is far from the best LW in the world.

His KO of Aldo was nuts. I don't think anyone will ever say anything different. He exploited Eddie Alvarez's bad tendencies and knocked him out just like he did to tons of people before at 10 lbs lighter. He's just not anything above the rest of the pack in terms of his striking game like Khabib is above everyone else at grappling. Conor is a top 5 LW, but he's not the best striker in the division.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 6, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A wise man once told me long ago that I should never argue with an idiot because he's just going to say something stupid and it'll make me mad and he thus wins. I vowed from that day forward to be the idiot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Eddie also did his best Bisping in the Hendo 1 fight impression by circling constantly into his opponents power hand.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vitamin Boss posted:

Eddie fought a real dumb fight vs Conor but Conor also displayed some absolutely amazing technical striking ability in that fight and it was a lot of fun to watch

Agreed. I really like Conor. I think he did great against Alvarez. I think he'd be a fun fight with Barboza. Khabib is going to destroy him tomorrow, though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bluedeanie posted:

It seems like you are operating with this very specific functional definition of what a good striker is that values raw power relative to your division and having never looked slightly vulnerable in fights you win where grappling or cardio weren't factors, and doesn't really give a poo poo about things like timing or accuracy or technique. By this standard Glover Teixeira and Wanderlei Silva might be considered elite strikers while Anderson Silva and Conor McGregor are not. Are you sure this is how you feel?

Good god no. I'm just saying that I watched Conor get boxed up by Nate Diaz. So he's not quite on the level of technical striking as Josh Thomson.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The important part of the first fight is I’m not surprised motherfucker.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Black beast looking the most trim I've ever seen at 265 and holy poo poo a fight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

McGregor out there starting poo poo :lol:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

inshallah and still

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:smuggo:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Turned off my stream to gloat and I missed the brawl until after I got home. I think Danis was yelling at Khabib throughout the fight. He kept looking over with an irritated look on his face at least once per round.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Automator posted:

Oh poo poo is that who he was looking at? I made a few comments that he keeps looking at someone

Man Conor got mauled it was awesome and anyone talking about a rematch is out of their mind

I'm not sure if it was or not, but he went right over and started yelling at him after the fight before jumping out of the cage.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I thought Khabib was complaining about the glove-grabbing, but in hindsight I think that was right by Conor's corner so I guess Danis was just yelling some stupid poo poo that whole time.

From the GDT Dana said Danis was talking poo poo.

And yeah, Conor was cheating constantly. He had his toes in the cage anytime he could.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So this doesn't get lost in the GDT, Conor swung first:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I still think Conor/Barboza would be a fun fight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

il serpente cosmico posted:

Khabib connects on garbage punches because he makes people terrified of his takedowns. Conor got rocked by a flailing hook likely because he was ready to defend the takedown. Khabib's game plan makes him difficult to counterpunch.

As for Conor flailing, he threw 140 significant strikes against Diaz in under two rounds. He threw 76 against Khabib in twice the time.

It wasn't a flailing hook. It's a casting punch. It's a sambo-style punch. Fedor used them to a lot of success as well. A lot of Khabib's knockdowns over his career come from casting punches.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The beginning of this clip is one of those looks to the side that Khabib kept doing. It looks like he's looking at someone talking poo poo from Conor's corner.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Byolante posted:

So now that Khabib has stood and traded with 'the best striker the ufc has ever seen' and won the exchanges is it safe to say he is the goat

I can't think of anyone historically at LW that could handle Khabib. I think there are a lot of WWs that would cause a lot of problems if he tried to move up, but there's a gulf between him and everyone else at LW.

And, yeah, Khabib/Gaethje would loving own.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Foul Fowl posted:

tony could smash him. so could poirier. so could probably someone else. he beat conor, not the whole division.

:lol:

You spent so many posts talking about how Conor was special. Khabib has done that to everyone and will do it to Tony and Porier, too.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bluedeanie posted:

I think hyopthetically if Khabib were to have fought prime Frsnkie Edgar he still def could have won but it would have come down to sheer strength advantage rather than technique, he is the lightweight who comes to mind as having the wrestling chops to potentially avoid the danger zone while outworking him on the feet. But Khabib obviously is much bigger than Frankie so he could easily have just muscled him around. Not that this thought exercise is really relevant or provable anyway.

I hadn't thought about prime Frankie, but he got dropped a lot even when he was champ. I still think Khabib takes it, but it's probably closer than a lot of matches. Prime BJ would be interesting, but I think Khabib's grinding style would cause him to wear out and give up.

Foul Fowl posted:

i think i posted it once. and i still think so. khabib is obviously also special. but lightweight's too crazy for anyone to be king without beating all the other top guys and it's not like this is the first time someone has looked completely unstoppable in the ufc. i wouldn't be surprised if khabib could beat them all. but i also wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't. he seemed pretty uncomfortable when conor was moving forwards and that's all ugly tony does.

I don't think he seemed uncomfortable at any point last night. He was in control of the fight from start to finish. Tony is the only guy that's interesting, but even then he only wins with a freak submission. Khabib most likely just balls him up and punches him in the face a lot on the ground just like he does to everyone else he's ever fought.

And I don't think anyone has ever looked like Khabib. I've never seen anyone else just break basically everyone they fight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Scrapez posted:

A prime 155 BJ is still the GOAT to me. He was ridiculously good when he wasn't lazy and fat. Hell, even lazy and fat at 170, he was great.

Khabib needs to beat Tony and maybe someone after that depending how impressively he beats Ferguson.

BJ fought Machida at HW. That's part of why he's one of the greatest ever.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Snowman_McK posted:

Or it could be that Khabib is better than the guys he looked good against.

The guy that's going to show us Khabib was always bad is just around the corner...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FishBowlRobot posted:

DBB always says he needs a break or isn’t ready and then books another fight immediately.

Money is a hell of a motivator.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Collapsing Farts posted:

Was conor always bad? All along??????

No, but the only wrestler (that actually tried wrestling... :rip: eddie) he ever fought was Chad Mendes. Prior to that, Joe Duffy was the best grappler he faced, and Duffy choked him out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Foul Fowl posted:

i wouldn't be surprised if khabib turned out to be a huge star after all this. he's a scary guy. it's hard to take your eyes off him. but more than anything i want to watch him fight tony because i don't have a loving clue what's going to happen in that fight.

Most likely Khabib takes him down and beats him silly.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Untrustable posted:

Ferguson can beat Khabib. Kevin Lee could probably give Khabib the wrassle he craves. Kumaru Usman could probably drop down and provide a wrestle. I want a good wrestler to fight Khabib. I want to see what other wrestlers bring to his level.

Abel Trujillo was an all american wrestler and Khabib deliberately set the record for most takedowns in a fight just for fun. In the case of Trujillo, at least, what he brought to the table was longing looks of desperation at the official.

Here's the fight on fightpass if you haven't seen it before (or lately) because it's always a fun watch.

https://www.ufc.tv/video/khabib-nurmagomedov-vs-abel-trujillo-ufc-160

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

thechalkoutline posted:

This is amazing, someone get me one of kabob's allahu akbar shirts stat

An excess of human courage hormone

I made people mad online once by appearing on TV in the audience with a papakha and a “if sambo was easy it would be called jiu jitsu” shirt during one of his fights.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 12, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think lobstermobster got it for me as a present so i dunno where you would find it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

JaySB posted:

I think you meant "If Sambo was easy it would be called jiu jitsu"

Yeah that was just a typo. Still don’t have internet following the storm so using my phone for everything.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Good times.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There are pics of lots of UFC and other fighters with the chechen warlord. This isn’t new.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Skip my posts is ok sometimes, but you know what always sucks - talking about posters. It's much better to talk about fighters and fights, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Foul Fowl posted:

you'd need someone with unconventional takedown defense.........

Abel Trujillo had success with a couple of rolls like that, but Khabib adjusted quickly and just punished him for it later in the fight.

• Locked thread