Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Following up on the, "is there any non-MMA fan hype for Khabib/McGregor," one of my co-workers asked me last Friday if I was, quote, "Watching the Conor fight this weekend," and I absently replied yep, totally planning on it.

Didn't realize til I was driving home that the fight's not for another week.

I think that says a lot.

My coworker also asked about the Conor fight last week. Casual Fan Interest confirmed!

e: and then I had to explain who Khabib is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

handsome only face posted:

9-0 light heavyweight Dominick Reyes just said on Ariel's show that he left his job at an IT firm for his UFC debut, debunking years of discourse on thi s forum

Actually IT work is the best base for MMA because you learn to be analytical and deal with troubleshooting on a daily basis

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lucasar posted:

I am way more pumped about Pretty vs Ugly Tony than Connor/Khabib. Like I'm more interested to know who will win the title fight, but I also think it will be pretty obvious by the end of the first round who's going to be able to do their thing. In Ferguson/Pettis you've got two of the best scramblers and most creative strikers in any division, as well as probably the two most dynamic submission games. I think Pettis' run of bad form makes people forget what a killer he is, esp off his back. He subbed Bendo, Giblert, Charles Oliveira, and Chiesa off his back; has anybody in UFC subbed more legit grapplers from that position?

I don't think Pettis has much of a chance. He lost 5 of his last 8 where T-Ferg is on a 10 fight win streak. And I know it's MMAth but two of Ferg's wins are guys that beat Pettis (Barboza, RDA)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Who the gently caress is Aaron Bronsteter

mewse
May 2, 2006

I am Otis posted:

Max vs Ortega is a great fight but any twitter link with BREAKING: makes my stomach flip since I heard Khabib is pulling out on Wednesday

A true martial artist never pulls out

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rigel posted:

Is New York really going to sanction that? The UFC might argue that she did really well in TUF, but those don't count.

3-2 against someone who (looks it up) is 15-3 in MMA, and freaking 56-2 in Muay Thai. She's going to get murdered.

They should get leeway because the division was established Dec 1, 2017 - it's less than a year old. But it's NYSAC so who knows

mewse
May 2, 2006

4:30pm, nice

mewse
May 2, 2006

Gay Horney posted:

Valentina is going to fight someone who's in actual danger in the cage against her instead of one of the most dominant champs in the sport. The reason for this is because November is marginally more convenient than December for the UFC. exhibit 420 of why should I care about this sport or its belts at all

I'm considering buying back the UFC at $420 per share. Funding is secured

mewse
May 2, 2006

Good job, sole remaining member of the UFC social media team

mewse
May 2, 2006

I hope they parody the Kaepernick nike ad next. That's not tired

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ad by Khad posted:

Wait what the gently caress

Nothing against her, nothing against Poland, but I've never seen her fight before and man that is not at all what I expected

???

she's good op

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

lol

Living in a backwoods town I've yet to hear anyone pronounce Khabib without the K in person but thankfully it doesn't drive me nuts like it would some

I was telling a coworker that khabib is dagestani and my old serb coworker went "oh poo poo!" lol

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

I think we have pretty different recollections of either Diaz fight. Conor was beating him up a lot at the beginning of the first until he couldn't match pace or secure a finish, whereas the second fight does not deserve space in the already decrepit, limited memory part of my brain.

What second fight

mewse
May 2, 2006

If sweaty IT nerd loses the toxx please be sure to ban the forums poster named “sweaty IT nerd” and not myself, the sweaty IT nerd

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Karate Hottie is fighting today if you want to cheer on a really nice, ethical fighter.

It’s About Ethics In MMA Watching

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Nobody praised him when he attacked a bus to defend one of his friends

They called him a coked up idiot who injured innocent people

And the incident tonight was a continuation of that that Dana shouldn’t get to shrug off with “well fighters talk smack”

mewse
May 2, 2006

neonburzt posted:

I sure hope that he meant all that and we don’t end up seeing a clip of the brawl being used in a promo in six months time.

"It's part of the story"

mewse
May 2, 2006

If one of Conor's corner men was shouting abuse at Khabib the whole fight, he should have been stopped by the athletic commission.

I hope they recognize this when they try to throw the book at Khabib but lol at NSAC holding itself accountable

mewse
May 2, 2006

il serpente cosmico posted:

Was Conor getting chocked or just tired of having his neck cranked? Khabib wasn't under his chin but it's possible he was still interrupting Conor's breathing.

A guy in the b league thread had his jaw snap to a crank like that

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lid posted:

You elevate your hips to let the cage pass effortlessly underneathe you.

Like this?

mewse
May 2, 2006

il serpente cosmico posted:

Did Conor actually win last night by trolling Khabib enough to get him to do something insanely stupid?

If Khabib gets stripped of his belt and suspended, that'll open up an avenue for Conor to get the belt back without having to fight Khabib (who he will never be able to beat). Conor might be able to beat Tony, though.

Khabib lost because he was made to care about something.

I very much doubt khabib will be stripped.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dr. Abysmal posted:

From a sporting standpoint there's really no reason to give Conor a rematch, it was a comprehensive victory for Khabib. It's not like the Diaz fight where you've got stuff like it was short notice, at welterweight, Conor was winning until he got tired, etc. "He did a flying WWE stomp to one of my friends after dominating and submitting me" isn't really the same. But then you're in the situation where it costs so much money to get Conor to fight that every time he does it has to be a blockbuster title fight PPV main event to make it worth the investment. So you can't go and do Conor vs. Beneil Dariush at UFC Fight Night: Gdansk or something.

Yeah there's no reason for a rematch except $$$ but we've all seen the decisions the UFC has been making recently

mewse
May 2, 2006

Kragger99 posted:

And even though Dominic saying Conor was trying to gas Khabib by letting him punch himself out sounded really silly, he did preface it with Conor wasn't really taking much damage. So if Conor wasn't in real danger, I kind of see his point. And right after he said that, Khabib stopped raining down the punches, as you could see it was actually happening.
Was Conor really doing that on purpose? I doubt it, but maybe it was a strategy his team came up with as they knew if it went to the ground, they had to do something. If Conor had good cardio, he might have been able to weather the storm, and get a fresh start in the beginning of each round.

If we cut dom a lot of slack then yeah what he meant to say was "Conor is hoping to wait out Khabib" or "Conor is trying to weather the storm"

Not "Conor is trying to gas Khabib out" like Conor had any choice about being pretzeled against the cage

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

My new pet theory is that Conor got the big belly tattoo cuz he doesn't have good ab definition.

Might be related to his posture as well

mewse
May 2, 2006

JaySB posted:

Yeah because what we really need is a short notice heavyweight fight with a guy who just went 3 hard rounds getting his face smashed in vs a guy coming off the couch.

The gassiest HW in the division vs the “embrace the grind” guy

mewse
May 2, 2006

SquirrelGrip posted:

Conor already said he’s taking time off because his wife is pregnant again, why do you think he will be back

Time to celebrate not putting up a fight against khabib by not fighting anybody

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

Cormier is going to beat Lewis worse than when Master Chief and the Arbiter put aside their differences to defeat the prophets of the covenant on #halo2

Sounds like something a covenant spy would say #TeamBlackBeast #Halo2

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lid posted:

TMZ Sports quoted an anonymous cageside witness who claimed Danis was trash talking Nurmagomedov and drew a “death stare” by calling him a “f***ing Muslim rat”.
“We spoke with a fan who was sitting in spitting distance from Danis during the fight — and we’re told Danis was running his mouth throughout most of the fight,” the report said.
“There was a moment between the second and third rounds when Khabib shot a death stare right at Dillon, according to our witness who says it was obvious Khabib heard at least some of the insults. But, we’re told the final straw was the Muslim insult that Danis hurled toward the end of the fight.”

I said this before but the NSAC should sanction Danis, suspend his cornering license or something

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ah, so Nate is definitely fighting

mewse
May 2, 2006

quote:

The big right hand by Khabib was actually fairly inconsequential. Conor thought it was a takedown and was surprised. But he immediately was up and on offense with a knee. He wasn't hurt.

Incredible speed by Khabib though.

This is the stupidest re-imagining of a punch I've ever seen. Khabib sparked conor right on the button and Conor's legs gave out, he literally dropped him. "He wasn't hurt" gently caress off

mewse
May 2, 2006

I disagreed with the probation at first but it was a string of lovely no effort posts, much like my own, but I’m not on trial here your honor,

mewse
May 2, 2006

They test suspicious people more, so it kinda makes sense

mewse
May 2, 2006

RT posted video of Khabib meeting Putin

https://www.facebook.com/RTnews/videos/166247724305168/

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Automator posted:

Putin gave him a dad chat

I find it heartwarming and I wish we had a video of Derrick Lewis meeting trump

mewse
May 2, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

it was the most batshit insane documentary i've seen since tickled for sure. the shift in gears between steroids guy getting swole and international spy poo poo was possibly the most jarring gear shift i've ever seen in a documentary.

but yeah i don't know what you're supposed to do to russia when accusing them of doing the very bad thing at the sports. they shot down a passenger airliner and completely got away with it. winning sporting medals doesn't even sort of rate on the give-a-gently caress scale.

Well you convinced me to watch it and holy poo poo :stare:

mewse
May 2, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Roids are awesome.

Yes willie that was my takeaway

mewse
May 2, 2006

That guy gave up his wife, his home, his family over doping in amateur sports

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lloyd Boner posted:

For some reason UFC took their version down but someone reuploaded it.

RIP bourdain

mewse
May 2, 2006

Untrustable posted:

How does someone beat Khabib? What's the game plan there? Is it just like "you better hope you kill him with the first punch because after that it's all downhill."?

That's an interesting one to think about. Khabib's largest weakness is his striking but we've seen the best strikers in the division get ground into paste by Khabib's style.

Khabib's advantage snowballs during a fight - he takes you down and beats on you and you get tired and it makes it easier for him to take you down again and beat on you. I think the guy that beats him has clearly superior striking, has decent grappling experience, and trains Khabib-specific takedown defense (this is the unexplained part - what would that look like?). If they're able to shake off Khabib's early attempts, takedown attempts use a lot of energy and Khabib could get tired, opening him up to take damage in striking exchanges.

Or Khabib could get careless and get caught in a submission from the bottom but I find that very unlikely vs losing to striking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

I liked the goldbergisms where he'd say the most exciting part of a sentence first and then stumble over himself trying to make it a coherent sentence

• Locked thread