Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Wasn't happy with everything this season, but that was a really well-executed plan at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Nap Ghost

Theowulv posted:

Puppet(puppet) Shang was so cool even Lin was like"wow! this is really cool!"

It frightens me a tiny bit knowing how much Lin enjoyed using Night of Mourning. I don't think he will turn evil or anything but that was kinda unsettling.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
I broke out into laughter like three separate times during the end scene: once when the old fortress master shows up with a bag of swords and I realised he was going to make Shang carry them, once when they said "well, he fell off a cliff, nobody could have survived that let's not bother checking" and once most of all when Lin was all like "Awww, it must be pretty hard carrying all those swords, if you wanted some help I'd be happy to carry ~~NIGHT OF MOURNING~~ for you. Just as a favor! I don't want it or anything".

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

It frightens me a tiny bit knowing how much Lin enjoyed using Night of Mourning. I don't think he will turn evil or anything but that was kinda unsettling.

Night of Mourning is pure Lin crack. He's a control freak who wants to watch his puppets dance to his whim and gets super upset when they don't follow the path he laid out for them to suffer. Of course he'd love a sword that literally lets him turn people into his obedient puppets.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Maybe I need to re-watch the sequence, but was he ever actually using the sword? After he revealed the illusion, I thought all the flamboyant singing of its praises was just an act to bait Goth Monk into attacking him, while the bard was actually the one controlling Shang the whole time.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think Lin actually was using it until the monk switched targets, then he swapped weapons (which is why Shang suddenly stops moving) with some sleight of hand before he could reach him, since we see him kick the Night of Mourning to Lang once he has 7BD trapped with his pipe.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 25, 2018

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Saw a funny comment somewhere else: Shang stuffs the Index with every piece of junk he finds, turning it into a magical sword gacha the next time someone tries to steal from it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Can Of Worms posted:

Saw a funny comment somewhere else: Shang stuffs the Index with every piece of junk he finds, turning it into a magical sword gacha the next time someone tries to steal from it. for Lin

There

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Shang was holding back super hard throughout S1. I really doubt he was fighting Sha seriously.

I mean the same thing can be said with Lin in this fight since you could just argue that he was letting on just to play around with Night of Mourning

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/TBF_bot_EN/status/1078373698032197632

E D G E L E S S B L A D E

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Pipe bastard ftw.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Man just catched up and hunting fox just got an offscreen death huh, thats a bit of a shame.

This whole season felt a bit like a gaiden, a side story. But the characters were great, with the princess of slaughter as the absolute best, and hunting fox as a decent 2nd. Shame that both of em ended up getting chumped by the mad monk in the end.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I know urobuchi likes the concept behind that character enough to keep writing him into things but he was definitely the least compelling of all the baddies this season.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Aoi Yuuki sword waifu Xie Yingluo best character

My favorite part of the Index is that they could a shitton more seasons with it as baddies keep stealing it and getting random swords that Shang has to go back and seal. Unless they up the ante of course, but there's always that element.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Nap Ghost

Schneider Heim posted:

Aoi Yuuki sword waifu Xie Yingluo best character

My favorite part of the Index is that they could a shitton more seasons with it as baddies keep stealing it and getting random swords that Shang has to go back and seal. Unless they up the ante of course, but there's always that element.

Well, I mean, there's gonna be a war.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Here's some S2 fanart I found, I'm a big fan of the Thunderbird Fantasy one.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Nap Ghost
Who is that behind PoC in the tavern?

Edit:. It's Tan Ko lol. Hard to remember people who die 5 minutes into the first season.

The black and white one sucks because Rou Fuyo isn't a demure gay and Hunting Fox pushes his glasses up with his thumb.

SMDH

Rou Shin Kai giving PoC bunny ears owns though lol

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 8, 2019

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Captain_duck posted:

Man just catched up and hunting fox just got an offscreen death huh, thats a bit of a shame.

This whole season felt a bit like a gaiden, a side story. But the characters were great, with the princess of slaughter as the absolute best, and hunting fox as a decent 2nd. Shame that both of em ended up getting chumped by the mad monk in the end.

Yeah S2 was all setup for the next season, with the barrier between Dong Li and Xi You broken by repeated wooden stick beatings.

And it's interesting how ultimately low stakes the whole thing was. SBD was a nasty piece of work, but it was ultimately no more than a walking disaster. Which makes sense, it isn't a sword of a conqueror, it's just a bioweapon you drop on a country and watch it rip itself apart.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

so this is a movie i guess, might be similar to the other one because it's got prequel stuff about lang... or just his instrument? i recognize none of the people

https://twitter.com/TBF_PR/status/1108920105100951552?s=19

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm excited for all the ways that Lin can be revealed to be even more of a piece of poo poo, somehow, even though he won't even be in the film.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Necroposting time!

So recently netflix added Pili Fantasy: War of Dragons

https://www.netflix.com/title/81094893

I saw that and thought it looked a lot like Thunderbolt Fantasy, and it is, the same studio is doing the puppets. This is their original show that has been running in taiwan/china? for years and is apparently on season 73. The thing on netflix right now is Apparently a remake of season 6, supposedly one of their best seasons?

I watched 2 episodes and well the puppets and puppetry is amazing. It's the thunderbolt fantasy guys alright, they are really skilled.

But the story. Even 2 episodes in i hardly have any idea what is going on. What doesn't help is that you just get loredumped to hell and back. That and there are a lot of characters doing all sorts of things and i have no idea who they are. Nor do they seem that interesting.

Seeing all this makes me realise what gen urobuchi and co added to thunderbolt fantasy; quality writing and characters. I miss the antics of vape wizard. Also timing. These episodes are like 50 minutes long and thats to much.

If you really love thunderbolts puppetry you might want to check it out, it's on a netflix near you right now, maybe you will like it. I might just be an uncultured swine and should watch more episodes, please tell me if you think so.

What i guess isn't helping is that i think the actual main character of the series is dead and in the process of being revived. Maybe he is the character that makes the show but i have no idea and 2 hours in he is still dead.

Anyway it's a shame, i love the idea of more quality taiwanese puppet shows. There is no way this will be a success like Thunderbolt Fantasy was. They should have gone with a complete reboot or something new instead of just dropping the random netflix user in a remake of season 6.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

dogsicle posted:

so this is a movie i guess, might be similar to the other one because it's got prequel stuff about lang... or just his instrument? i recognize none of the people
New info on this, mostly voice actors and some more character reveals. Oh wait there's also our favorite fox! My guess is it's going to be the story of how Lang got cursed based on the new female character revealed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duvh3viuHVQ

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

KUGIMIYA RIE

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 2, 2019

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I want new episodes of thunderbolt fantasy!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Reminder that the movie is this friday for anyone lucky enough to see it! Also check out this funny/cool clip of a Thunderbolt Fantasy musical.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Can Of Worms posted:

Reminder that the movie is this friday for anyone lucky enough to see it! Also check out this funny/cool clip of a Thunderbolt Fantasy musical.

That transition to Killer Rouge is very jarring. But I'm always fascinated with how Manga and anime stories get a stage play/musical release in Japan.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/TBF_bot_EN/status/1193481963199295489

Don't give him a bat, you fools

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

give him a bat, you fools

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
I got a chance to see the movie over the weekend, and it was good. My only complaint is the theme song album doesn't have the duet between TM Revolution and Toyama Nao.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Any word on if/when Netflix will be releasing the 2nd half of War of Dragons? Because after finally getting all my string properly stapled to the wall I finally understand what is happening but only now realize we're halfway through a 43 episode season. :eng99:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Seems it'll be awhile from what I can gather unless they plan a simultaneous release as I don't know that it has aired anywhere yet in terms of Taiwan even---surely they'll follow through though.

I look forward to being hopelessly lost and confused after such a giant gap from the first block of episodes, really channel that experience otherwise relegated to Fafner fans~

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Do you kids like Nishikawa Takanori?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I feel like announcing something the day you are going to release it is kind of silly. I will gleefully watch another puppet film though.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Movie was awesome, here are my thoughts:

1. Very happy Mu Tian Ming doesn't get shanked or sidelined, she was badass.

2. I hope she appears in S3 and doesn't get sidelined if she's part of the main cast.

3. TM Revolution is a magical girl! :swoon:

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
My spouse and I got to see the movie in Taiwan while we were there in October. Sadly we don't speak a huge amount of Japanese, so we only got the broad strokes. Great to see it again and be able to know everything of what's going on!

On a character in the movie:
We're really wondering now what happened to Shō Fu Kan to change him from what the movie depicts (spouse and I have been calling the movie's depiction "Ol' Holepunch Shō" on account of him killing mooks in horrific ways with the bamboo posts) to what we see in the first season with him being much more reserved in combat to the 'If I'm going to kill people I'm gonna' channel my chi into this stick and make it a lot more difficult on my body' to make a point to himself.

We picked up the Season 2 HD set in Taipei, it's a sick set of replicas of some of the key props from the show made into USB drives. I hope they make one for the movie too! Maybe Mu Tian Ming's instrument?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Queadlunn posted:

On a character in the movie:
We're really wondering now what happened to Shō Fu Kan to change him from what the movie depicts (spouse and I have been calling the movie's depiction "Ol' Holepunch Shō" on account of him killing mooks in horrific ways with the bamboo posts) to what we see in the first season with him being much more reserved in combat to the 'If I'm going to kill people I'm gonna' channel my chi into this stick and make it a lot more difficult on my body' to make a point to himself.

Worth noting he's still using the wooden sword throughout this movie - he's also had no real qualms killing people in the past when they were real bad guys. My guess is he was only holding back in s01 because none of the people he was fighting were worth the effort, and the gloves come off whenever he's fighting the empire.

I hope the post-credits stuff where Lin says he'll tell the tale of what happened between this film and s01 later doesn't mean they've changed their mind on what s03 will be - I want a continuation rather than another prequel (save that for the next film :v:).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 28, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm guessing the reason for that is a mixture of stuff that will be explained later and also the fact this was a movie so they could be more free with the action.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Man i've missed hunting fox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/crasspants/status/1211473392559222786