Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Captain_duck posted:

Man just catched up and hunting fox just got an offscreen death huh, thats a bit of a shame.

This whole season felt a bit like a gaiden, a side story. But the characters were great, with the princess of slaughter as the absolute best, and hunting fox as a decent 2nd. Shame that both of em ended up getting chumped by the mad monk in the end.

Yeah S2 was all setup for the next season, with the barrier between Dong Li and Xi You broken by repeated wooden stick beatings.

And it's interesting how ultimately low stakes the whole thing was. SBD was a nasty piece of work, but it was ultimately no more than a walking disaster. Which makes sense, it isn't a sword of a conqueror, it's just a bioweapon you drop on a country and watch it rip itself apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
its my birthday today! *every character from every anime come in for a HUGE party*

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Weird question, how is TBF doing on Bilibili, or the mainland? Because god drat this show is highly political and skewering their orthodoxy: there are multiple Chinas, that's no big deal, and anyone trying to reunite all of China by force just so they can "negotiate" with demons probably bad news.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Lemon-Lime posted:

There's absolutely no way this is the last we see of him, so I expect him to either show up at the last minute and do something big, or be in the inevitable next movie.

He'd loving better. He has such a weird character design, a different power scaling level than the rest of the cast, but the world of Thunderbolt Fantasy is so loving weird that he completely fits in, even when he is typing into a giant steampunk keyboard. You could literally write an entire season about him going on a rampage through the world and bringing down entire nation states, just as last season's Sword Princess was on the verge of doing.

This show's storytelling is controlled chaos at its finest.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Can Booch finally give our boy Lin a W for once? It's been two for two where his target has taken their L in stride, Lin is a very sore winner and he needs that ego boost.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Turin Turambar posted:

What, not comments about the freaking nendoroid appearing in the show ? Pretty funny.

The backstory of 7BD is was nice to see. Well, not 'nice', you understand me.

My loving sides were turning into mush looking at that thing. Best thing is there are multiple nendos, one with the normal eyes, another with swirly eyes. And for longer shots, the Shang puppet was holding a smaller, less detailed puppet.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The Nendie Lin puppet is probably the same size and has the same rigging as Regular Lin and Regular Shang puppets, it just has the proportions of a Nendie.

It's all camera tricks. One of their favorite types of shots is feet walking over ground, they literally film puppet shoes with nothing else attached pretending to walk over terrain. That kind of thing makes me appreciate it more.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 3, 2021

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Lmao they were misdirecting us with such a flashy Chekov's gun that we ended up losing sight of the actual drama in Shang's backstory with the bard lady.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Also SPK's house was seperated from the SBD by an entire canyon of wasteland.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Raenir Salazar posted:

I actually forgot about this, there was an anime iirc that was an adaption of a D&D game between him, the Monogatari guy, the Durarara author and others. Which is not to suggest that Urubuchi rolled some dice to determine how that scene played out; only that it is a useful way of reframing fiction to not get hung up on potential inconsistencies.

But, as I mentioned further up it is I think observable that the way Shang and others talk to each other is reminiscent of the way D&D/ttrpg players talk to each other when adventuring. So I think borrowing language from D&D and tabletop rpgs to describe and talk about Thunderbolt Fantasy is fairly apropos.

That was Chaos Dragon, and in the end it turned out total dogshit.

Anyway, the D&D comparison is at best a metaphor for how characters behave, it's not ideal. Lin's honeyed words were juuust good enough to slide through Xing Hai's angry complaints. And really, Wan Jun Po is only pretending to be taken in by Lin, and Lin knows that he's pretending. But Wan and Gui are misreading Lin's motivations, they think he's like every other power hungry rear end in a top hat who's out for themselves and after the power of the SSI. From Wan's perspective, if Lin hosed over Xing Hai, it was because Xing Hai was a direct threat to him (when really, it was Lin loving over Xing Hai because lmfao owned biatch). And so Wan would expect Lin to try and gently caress over the Order right as it's time to deliver the goods, but Lin's going to pre-empt them because sike! He was never after the Index in the first place!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Oh well yeah now the loving time cops are going to be involved next ep. Those guys are never good news.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Nendos are expensive because they have large custom molds and low run numbers so they need to make up for that to amortize costs. Also their customers are willing to shell out.

Bandai's factory for molding gundam is very well established and they've amortized their capital costs long ago. Also they have their production pipeline down to a science.

Funko Pops are the same, except their stuff is even more interchangable and look like poo poo.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Turin Turambar posted:

I wonder if undead-Mantis will still play a role, or will be forgotten.[/spoiler]

Getting revived retains most of your fighting skills, that fuccboi still remains a threat, but no longer a social threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Raenir Salazar posted:

The thing that I love is Mantis doing all of that attempt at manipulating was so clearly Lin's handiwork but was also convincingly something maybe Mantis would do.

They kind of take the piss out of it mid episode as well: Lin is so clearly untrustworthy that everyone else inside the Void Junction assumes he's up to something, in the same way that the audience finds Mantis so fuccboi-ish that you assume he is doing something to undermine Wan Po.