Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I also loved Vape Wizard's twist/reveal at the end of first season, how he was both similar to the bad guy (at some point in his life) and at the same time the opposite.
In part he grew bored of being the strongest and started doing more intellectually challenging stuff (like being an rear end in a top hat thief), in part he was smart enough that obsessing with having to be the 'strongest evaaar!' didn't go anywhere and it was an infinite grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Can Of Worms posted:

I'm liking Diddy Kong's personality so far. I hope he doesn't end up being an antagonist, although my initial suspicion was that he is the Princess of Cruelty's boss or part of her organization in some way.

The monk? He totally looks like a FF boss, so my guess is that he is the arch enemy in his season lol.

I thought the blue magistrate was some companion of the PoC, and he was twisting the truth all along. It was an interesting twist they are two different factions from Shang's nation. And we finally saw what was his deal: he is the typical blind, cruel 'paladin' of justice.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Shang's type of character, the enlightened super badass that with wisdom has chosen to live without violence if possible, is not that original if you think about, only in anime/manga we have examples like the mcs of Trigun or Rurouni Kenshin, just from top of my head. And I'm sure there are more.
But in the end it doesn't really matter, the writer makes him charming and unique. I think the key is how relatable he is. He isn't a simple noble warrior. He is sometimes awkward, other times cranky, sometimes he is exasperated by his companions in the same way that any normal person would feel, other times he is at the mercy of events out of his control. He feels very human... and then he kills a fool with a wooden stick, or another heroic past from his past is discovered, and we bask in his awesomeness.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, I watched all of S2 so far today and it feels weird not having the rest of the gang around.

This is the single flaw of S2. Not that the old gang isn't around, but the fact there are less character in the group. I feel there were better group dynamics and more banter as there were more people.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Quickest antidote ever!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

C-Can I ship them?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Uh. I didn't occur to me Lin could switch targets: the sword speaks, it's evil, and it's incredibly prideful. The perfect target for him!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

<not so subtle hint, the series is saying the fool is Lyn>. He is the one who gets hard by doing complicated schemes, and therefore, he makes the wrong assumption other people are like him.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 10, 2018

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Subtitle of the episode: When you are trapped without no way out with an obsessive yandere goth

Here in this desolated place we could die together! Wouldn't that be great?!! /crazy eyes

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

edit: dup

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, a nice start, if only because they don't waste time, they directly introduce the conflict between the heroes and the new alliance of enemies with the demon obviously plotting to setup the Demonic Invasion.

But there was a lots of warning focusing on the leaf-cristals, with the whole "were you take to touch it, you could be transported to some other ramdom world!" makes me think that's precisely what's going to happen next episode.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

By the way, I had to roll my eyes when Shang calls the new bad guy as using shortcuts to gain true power (typical of bad guys, or something to that effect), when he sees he uses both magic and swordmanship. You would think learning and practicing both is HARDER, not easier.

BRB, going to watch Ep 2 now.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Episode 2: Well, that was 23 minutes of pure entertainment. I missed not having popcorn to accompany the experience.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sindai posted:

Hell yeah cyborg wizard

Officially I guess he is an http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/artificer

But yeah, cyborg wizard

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Episode 3. Still good!

The important part was mostly about 'Bane'. Good motivation and backstory. Just turning to evil in a desperate move to save his country. He had a point even, Shang had the power to help destroy evil, but he decided to run away. He will be a good nemesis.
Of course, the whole 'I will let you the small fry' to the other guy was funny, they don't know how powerful is Lin. Which of course it could be key later. He almost had an orgasm when he understood he was so close to the super bad guy of the series, lol.
I wonder if someone is manipulating Emperor You, or is just incompetence. I'm sure whatever the oracle said will be relevant for the series.
Yandere princess is still yandere. In fact she is going to the deep end now. A pity, I think it could have been fun if he accompanied the party for a bit.
I hope cyborg wizard gets to return. Also, I wasn't sure if Buddhist monk would recover his senses after being separated from the sword for a while, it seems that's not the case.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

There's absolutely no way this is the last we see of him, so I expect him to either show up at the last minute and do something big, or be in the inevitable next movie.

I expect him to show up again, but just at the end when the enemies have been defeated, and set him up for fourth season.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Can Of Worms posted:

I'm excited for what appears to be (preview spoilers) the return of the best character, blue bard lady. Hopefully she's going to have a recurring role and not just be a one episode cameo because the main cast (especially the protagonists) needs more women, but her lack of presence in the opening leaves me pessimistic.

What do we know about her? I don't remember a lot of the second film.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Kind of interesting that Shang hasn't really got a ready counterargument to his old comrade. Man's been the rock-solid bastion of wisdom and morality for two whole seasons, but it looks like he may actually have to do some proper soul-searching here.

Well, he didn't have to reply while being kicked around. I guess he will say something on the next episode.
I wonder if the series will take the 'power corrupts' approach, as to why he preferred to run away and not use them.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The discussion is interesting, but there is something important not being commented.

When Shang left Xou Yi, I have the impression the situation was just 'bad'. It was after he left (in fact, in part because he left with the swords, reducing their military strength and making the princess focus on recover them instead of taking care of things) when things progressed to 'very bad'. And it seems from the dialogue of the mask-guy (I'm bad at names), things turned from very bad to awful relatively soon, maybe it happened two or three months ago, from ep 3 timeline. Shang learned of current situation just now, with us.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 20, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lin starting to manipulate the villains => me

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What, not comments about the freaking nendoroid appearing in the show ? Pretty funny.

The backstory of 7BD is was nice to see. Well, not 'nice', you understand me.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Maaaaaaaan. Also explains a few things!

But yeah, man, this episode kinda cements demons as evil huh.

Yep, thinking about it again, I liked how -specifically- evil are the demons here, shown in this episode, instead of being 'vaguely evil' like in some animes, where they want to defeat the good guys and whatever.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

And another great episode. At this point it's the normal thing, we are being accustomed to greatness.

An incredible fight scene to start with, Lin being smooth as hell, funny banter, nice chemistry between monk and princess, it was a complete episode. Urobochi also covers well possible plot holes, like why Shang didn't use the index against that formidable enemy, or what the new enemies think of Lin, they aren't really that stupid.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 8, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

But I didn't quite catch it, is there a specific reason for Shang not to use the Index, was it just being cautious of Ming preparing some kind of trap, or because Instrument Lady got injured before he could consider using it?

Well, the bad guy goal was to steal the Index, and he is a powerful sorcerer (unlike our group of heroes), so I guess they were wary he had an ace under his sleeve to take it or gain power through it or whatever.

About Lin's scene, it made sense, because the writer only had to remind us that the alliance between the demon and the other guys is weak, it's more like an convenient arrangement, they may be bad guys but still consider the demonkind as the enemies of humankind. So it's totally admissible if some other human, like the Enigmatic Gale, fought against her before their current alliance, if she was doing some disgusting magic ritual or whatever. And Lin totally attacked the Mask's weak point, he doesn't consider himself an evil villain, he is working for his country.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New episode

-Shang is a freaking time traveled. He comes from the future O_o. If I understood it right, at some point the Void Junction will allow to go back to the past, and he will do it. Does this will create a closed loop?
-Shang and Bard are in the demon realm.
-Demons are super strong on their home turf. They have extra powers because they were in the Demon Realm.
-The land is cloaked in the deepest blue~~! being used a distraction and being the thing that pike interest from the Demon Count was hilarious

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

macabresca posted:

It was great

Also, Shang choking Lin nendie. By the way I love that Lin have so many friends now. True, they sound like they hate his guts but it still counts, right? Right?

I'm rewatching Season 1 now, and he gets the quest rolling with 'oh, I have a friend for this, another for that...', etc. That's how One Eye-Impaler join, and one of his masters was going to join too until Screaming Phoenix got him.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Episode 8 has been perhaps the weakest so far in this season. Which doesn't mean it was a bad episode, but it was mostly about character A telling characters B and C what we already know, and B and C plotting what to do, telling to D too. So, needed for the story, but not very gripping to watch.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Episode 9 I can't tell if Lin Setsua was really brainwashed by S7B, or if he's immune and he's just faking being brainwashed. Alternatively, Lin could have used his illusion magic to swap places with Ken. Since Ken is married and only has eyes for his wife, he could be immune to be 7BD's enchantments.

I wonder if the mountain wizard in the past is going to forge a weapon for Shang to use in the present, or if he's just going to give Shang advice before sending him back to the present.

He totally switched places with Ken

Lin knew the sword was in that pedestal, so the real him wouldn't fall for the trap.
He reminded the audience his ability for magical disguises on the previous episode.
We know he is way stronger than he seems, he could have overpowered KGei, at least enough to not look.
Ken was having problem with hiding on the previous episode, so he switching places to hide in plain sight wouldn't be strange.
The previous episode had a last scene between Ken and Lin with Lin saying he wanted Ken to do something.

That said, if that's the case, he is totally loving with Shang and the bard, still acting as Ken after running away with them and not 'breaking the character' even when the time lord appears.

Which by the way, it was amusing that what I imagined as a Time Cop figure wasn't there to make them stop time traveling, but the opposite.

Oh yeah, the twist with Shang visiting the immortal wizards looks super cool. Who knows what we will learn with them. And Mantis is obviously a possible traitor... who knows if even a double agent of some third party.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 29, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2021-05-31/urobuchi-history-and-the-wuxia-hero-of-thunderbolt-fantasy/.172801

ANN does an article about TB, wuxia, and heroism.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There was very little talk on the previous episode. Although I can understand it, in reality... not a lot happened, right until the last minute.

Shang's excursion through time didn't change anything, revealing the guy who did the swords also didn't know how they work means we maintain what was before the status quo. In any case that was a question & answer that really didn't have any relation with the current plotlines.

Lang didn't do anything, except deciding to do exactly that, nothing, and in the end not save blue lady. So he got served a ration of despair. In any case, we learn fro Kgei that changing the past can be disastrous, so it's a good thing he didn't do anything.

Now, about the last scene, with Juan. This is what it seems suspicious to me:

That was so unlike him (in comparison with the rest of the season). No being nervous because the responsibility of the scrolls that he knows is super powerful and super dangerous? Instead he shows himself to be sure of himself? Uhh??!

Then again, if Lin is Juan, well, does he plan meant to actually kill himself? 0_o

In any case, in episode 11 we reach a point where everything is hosed:
-Shang is captured, and won't be able to free himself.
-Ling chained and still seemingly charmed by the sword.
-Juan dead.
-Lang shocked by his own origins, and not knowing anything that happened to the rest.
-Kgey traveling to the past.
-The scroll in enemy hands.

At this point it's clear that this story won't end in Season 3. It's going to have some cliffhanger and continue in Season 4.

I'm not sure of Yi Piamio, was the moment of saving Shang just slightly weak writing (the writing team needing some excuse to not kill the hero when he should die), or is he a double agent or something like that?

About Lang, well, the time guardian we in fact the demon. People guessed it right (well, between the horns and voice it wasn't hard). He is eviiil.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, the previous episode's scene of Shang and wizard guy accepting what happened/what will happen was nice, just strange as it's very unconnected with the rest of the season.

Ok, I cracked the case, now i think Lin is Mantis guy

-He has been showing to be a smooth manipulative guy during the last two episodes.
-In this episode, he influenced the General to not return with the scroll, but to delay it and use it against the demon sisters, which doesn't make a lot of sense as a pair of episodes ago his posture was the opposite: the Divine Swam has priority over anything.
-The scene where he asked the talisman to talk with their boss was framed like somewhat special by the series direction, I thought it was a bit weird, and also doesn't he have his own talisman? In fact there was a moment in a past episode where Lin spies one of the two Swam guys and see the talisman. Given his ultimate goal is to defeat-troll their boss, him getting closer with the talisman would give some sense of why the scene was special.
-Finally, he saved Shang's life with a flimsy excuse, which as I said before, it seemed somewhat weak writing. This is a strong clue for me, that together the others, I think gives it a high probability.

So I think at some point he swapped with Mantis guy. I don't know if willingly or not.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Holy poo poo, I just thought: what if there is one more swap. What if Mantis wasn't swapped as Lin, but as... Juan. The one who just died, you know. LOL
It would explain why Lin didn't avoid his death, and even more important: why Juan seemed sure of himself and eager to take the scroll from Shang. Surely he sold this plan with disguises to Mantis as a way to steal the scroll, and it seemed to work for an instant, even.
It still would imply Juan is then indeed Lin, charmed by the sword.

On hindsight, I couldn't see it because episodes before I thought there was 1 swap, so I was wondering what character A swapped with B, and confused because it wouldn't work with any combination I could think of. It didn't occur to me it could be two swaps, between A, B and C, I was blindsided. Mantis saving Shang here made it clearer.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 12, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Vape Wizard can't just swap places with people. He creates an illusion with his smoke which means he has to be in the same room or nearby the people he wants to deceive. Also the effects of the smoke eventually wear off. He can't just "swap" with someone and gently caress off elsewhere. Especially if the other person doesn't know that other people are under the influence of the smoke.

In season 1 they show he has a magical head robe with the power of disguise. That's what he is using, not the smoke.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think Lin did his plan as I explained in my spoilers above, but a bit like end of season 1 where not everything went as he calculated, so while he planned the double switcheroo, I think he didn't contemplate Kgai acting on her own and using 7BD to charm whoever is disguised as him, killing fake-Ken/Mantis in the process. That was dumb luck on his part.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A pair of hours until it's revealed who was right, switcheroo fans or switcheroo haters. Get hyped!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

A pair of hours until it's revealed who was right, switcheroo fans or switcheroo haters. Get hyped!

It's so good when a plan comes together, and all the small clues we had made logical sense.

Me being right is also cool. :P

Juan's wife recognizing him in an instant was funny.
As the monk being left in the past, 200 years ago. Although, I saw how the mirror leaf was left when the devil sisters came back to the present, will it still work, so he can come back too? In any case the monk's reaction was easily predictable, he adores the sword, not some wench (in his own words).

The general plan is simple and straightforward, but in that straightforwardness I can see how he thought it could work. Alas, I don't think it will work. I think 7BD real form will the the fourth season nemesis.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 19, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Haha I was right too

The only thing I found weird that I have to go back and watch is Vape Wizard fighting as Mantis using Mantis' actual weapons and fighting techniques. It might be a timing thing but it would be crazy if he could do that.

The next episode is going to be completely off the chain.

He is near-divine-level swordman (as we saw at the end of Season 1) and a wizard too, that part didn't surprise me.

So .... the general is dead right? With him revealing his 'disguise' to both sides, and the series basking on the loyalty to him and how he wants to save the nation. And Lin recognizing he is good enough to stop being his target. He only needs to add 'only 2 days until retirement!' to make it clearer. No way he gets out of this alive.

I wonder if undead-Mantis will still play a role, or will be forgotten. By the way, the more 'human' moments, like the guy who said his son was killed by tax collectors and Shang explaining why would be bad to conquer the throne with the sword, were pretty nice.

Finally, I wonder if Monk won't change the past for the worse, if he remains there... a plot hole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Moofia Boss Val posted:

She'll be defeated next episode. They'll save Azibelpher, Locust, and old Monk for S4 (and maybe movie 3). Kei Guy may or may not die next episode (I'd prefer for her to meet her end next episode, as otherwise it will start to get irritating when we have villains for surviving too long).

He'll take the long way back to the present day. He'll be really old the next time we see him again.

It could be... but I'm a bit tired of Monk already, and he is a dead-end character wise. in between season 2 and 3 we had enough of him. I also thought your theory (he'll take the long way back) but it's 200 years. I guess in this genre, by mastering qi you can slow how your age, but it seems a bit too much for me, two hundred years.

What I don't understand is how the demon sisters, who explained before how careful you have to be when dealing with time traveling, go and leave a person there.