Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm really glad I found this thread because it's nice to have other people to chat with about the show other than my wife and sister :). I'm not referring to Rin Setsu A/Enigmatic Gale as "vapey" though, sorry.

Good season so far although the cliffhanger ending of episode 2 was a little jarring since I'm not used to that from Urobuchi.

I'm really surprised that Shou Fu Kan's DIY magic scroll band aid workshop project was successful. I really didn't think it would work. I also noticed that although he could read the scroll he didn't really test whether or not he could still pull things out of it.

What's the deal with the cop (glasses guy)? My wife thinks he's a member of the bug gang but I think he really is what he says he is (a cop or equivalent) although he's probably not trying to arrest Shou Fu Kan as much he probably wants the Index for himself. I also wonder if he's onto Enigmatic Gale being way too nice and cooperative and I wonder if he's not trying to con Enigmatic Gale too somehow.

Princess of Cruelty owns because she doesn't fight directly and she preyed on 2 of Shou Fu Kan's biggest weaknesses, large crowds of enemies and his compulsion to protect the weak. I personally don't think compassion is a weakness but clearly it can be a disadvantage when your enemies are aware of it and abuse it to gently caress you over.

Guitar Guy is the best and I hope he doesn't die tragically trying to save his old buddy or get mind controlled. Anyone who fights with :rock: METAL :rock: completely rules and should always be on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Kwyndig posted:

I want him to be a not corrupt magistrate, because you hardly ever see an actual virtuous magistrate in these kinds of stories.

The way he's portrayed makes him obviously sinister as heck.

And yeah I know he's from Seiyuu but IDK if he's really a magistrate or not. I think he might be because of the red feather bodyguard entourage with him but I guess it doesn't really matter because Enigmatic Gale is clearly lying about being a special investigator for the local government so whatever.

BTW I loved how the director zoomed in on his teeth from 3 different angles the first time he said Shou Fu Kan's name.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I mean Lin's entire reason to go with everyone was to own Mei, he spent a lot of time and effort to own him, and in the end he failed to own him. Its a complete failure for Lin, he just salvaged it because he learned about Shang in the process and oh boy is it going to be fun to try to own the people that will come after him.

He actually did own Bones of Creation, but Bones immediately owned him back harder.

Gale is the most well written character because he's a cruel heartless selfish gently caress but he only humiliates other cruel heartless selfish fucks so sometimes you actually kind of like him. But then you see what he did to SFK and SFK didn't deserve that. I agree that making a mockery of the tournament was a cool thing to do but he didn't need to go that far.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Urobuchi intentionally wrote everyone else on the show to not be smart enough to just call him out on his bullshit and tell everyone else what his gimmick is.

People would still fall for it though because villains are usually too prideful and over confident and most everyone else is just dumb and easily duped.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

a cartoon duck posted:

Most of the cast knew his bullshit, though, and the only reason nobody told Shang anything is that they assumed only a massively huge bastard would willingly associate with Lin.

Also if anything The Night's Lament successfully outduped Lin and the only reason her plan failed was because this random wanderer just happened to have several dozen legendary super swords in his back pocket.

That's a good point and another reason she's my favorite villain from the first season. I hope we see again this season. She should be probably trying to figure out a way to remove the space portal sword in Tan Hi's new monastery or whatever.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

7c Nickel posted:

Nah, during the first season she talked about having a spell that turns a dead person's blood to acid but no one in the party was interested. Then, during the movie, the black sect remnants mention meeting a demon that taught them that very spell and they were trying to use it to more or less suicide bomb Shang. That pretty heavily implies she's still around and a bit pissed at her god being spaced.

Yeah she's still around. After the demon gets sucked into space they show her leaving, and as was sais, in the movie the Gen Ki Shu guys mention "that woman we ran into" who show them the blood into acid spell. That's 100% Kei Gai.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I want to see the other bug gang people. I wonder if the centipede member will use one of those bladed whips. The spider better not be some cannibal woman. The spider villains are ALWAYS women for some reason.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Pretty sure the cop is still just a cop, although now we know he's just as evil as has been hinted at. And he clearly has either a personal vendetta with Shou Fu Kan or his emperor does because he is going way out of his way to frame Shou for everything bad that happens everywhere.

He's definitely not another member of the bug gang because Princess of Cruelty would have probably been pissed he was there since she wanted to kill Shou Fu Kan and retrieve the Index for her boss personally. I do wonder if he's some kind of puppet master himself because his troops were acting way too obedient when he asked them "whose fault is all of this?"

I also noticed he used his sword on the villagers even though in the opening credits he fights with fans.

I'm kinda surprised that Shou Fu Kan wasn't able to heal his poison the same way he knocked it out of the Gen Ki Shu master. That's weird and confusing to me. Speaking of that old guy, gently caress him. He's mind bogglingly stupid. I think it's cool that his bodyguards are Named Characters now. I hope they get to do some cool stuff.

No idea what's up with Monk Guy. I thought he was going to be the main villain but he seemed pretty genuine. Not what I was expecting at all. If what he says is true he might also be from Shou Fu Kan's home country or maybe even somewhere else because he said he was on a pilgrimage or journey of some kind and didn't know who anyone was. If his powers allow him to take on the wounds and poisons and sicknesses of others and he's made it this far he's probably going to be nearly unkillable, or at least immune to poisons. I want to know how his yin/yang powers translate to fighting though.

Guitar Guy is still the best character because he fights with METAL and all his blows with the guitar sound like laser blaster shots.

Finally, how the hell did Gale find Shou Fu Kan in a random cave? Was he able to track Guitar Guy's footprints or something?

Weed Wolf posted:

in the next episode preview, are those zombies surrounding our heroes? are we gonna see the return of xíng hài?

I hope so! :neckbeard:

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 16, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

ElBrak posted:

Wait until you start noticing how most of them have an arm that is a foot longer than the other.

That was one of the first things I noticed in S1. Also everyone is left handed.

And Ryouga owns. Talking metal guitars are cool and Rou Fu You keeps him in line.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

I tried my best.

Nice job!

What game is that?

Also why does he have an eye patch?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Is it possible to make Tan Hi or Ken San?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Yinlock posted:

plus there's no option to have the game start rocking out about shadows of eagles when something rad is happening

Replace every song in the game with this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpwtG7UT9XA

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Thunderbolt Fashion-y

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

EponymousMrYar posted:

Shang's an interesting take on his archetype both because of the setting he's in and the metacommentary he provides on it (Wuxia is pretty formulaic and full of fightingdeathsmans) and because he takes an enlightened/realistic stance on his morality.

Also he freely admits to being a slob about it, using plain language and a frank opinion to express himself rather than dressing it up in high language.

This is one of my favorite aspects of his character.

Any smart person would have kept quiet when Gale was describing how all that stuff went down in the Wasteland but Shou Fu Kan is honest to a fault and I was laughing so hard at his stammering about "uhhhh yeah I didn't want to kill that dragon I just wanted it to leave me alone so I cut off a wing and uhhh yeah I didn't want to wipe out an entire village of cannibals I just tried to scare them but they all tried to kill me soooooo..."

It is absolutely hilarious that he single-handedly carved a path for others through the Wasteland just because he was in a hurry and needed to get away from Seiyuu quickly. Urobuchi is such an awesome writer.

Even better is how Gale is going out of his way to make Shou Fu Kan owes him a favor. This is going to be brutal.

Oh and yes Princess of Cruelty is totally being set up for a sympathetic tragedy death. She's going to get so mad that she can't beat anyone and will succumb to the Seven Blasphemous Deaths out of frustration and it will ruin her.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 22, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Yinlock posted:

the whole reason he invented his edgeless blade style was because, with a real sword, not killing people was a pain in the rear end. it's great

Also because he's a self-admitted lazy slob. I still love the scene where he talks about the benefits of a wooden sword vs iron or steel. It doesn't rust, it's low maintenance, it's lightweight, etc. :effort:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Dzhay posted:

No one except me cares about the implication of there being Buddhists in this fantasy setting.

I sort of am too but idk enough about Buddhism to have a meaningful conversation about it.

:justpost:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
You can tell they're slowly building a new gang. It just wasn't formed by the 3rd or 4th episode like S1.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

pray for my aunt posted:

His qi channelling would make him a perfect foil to Shang, so my bets are still on him getting the Blasphemous Deaths sword.

I'm of the opinion that he would be nearly immune to the call of the sword because he has no desire for power.

He might take it out of the sheath if it asks nicely though. No idea what would happen after that.

Honestly he may end up being the key to stopping that sword's reign of terror after it inevitably starts.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
That was by far the best episode so far this season. Holy poo poo. Rou Fu You is solidified as my new favorite character.

I mean, he sang the show's theme song to knock down a loving dragon named Death King. I marked out so hard for that scene. I am in awe over how awesome that was.

And the follow up that all just talked about was icing. He sees right through the bullshit and I love it. I also want to know more about the princess of Seiyuu apparently sending an army to capture Rou Fu You to make him the royal courtyard bard or some poo poo.

And exactly how did his voice get cursed in the first place?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cao Ni Ma posted:

the doll was just going to be a promotional "mascot" of sort and urobochi liked it so much he wanted it included in the second part of the story.

He's easily the coolest looking puppet so far. And now he's The Best Character (TM) which makes it more appropriate.

7c Nickel posted:

I liked Gen's quote that they could never make this show on their own. They would work incredibly hard on producing a puppet and then never let anyone touch it for fear of damaging it. Meanwhile the Pili people are launching them out of cannons to get their shots.

I love that Pili made stunt doubles for every character. I also love how they're all perfectionists. They re-shot a 2 second scene of a temple pillar exploding in S1 like 100 times to get it so that everyone was happy with it.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 1, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Xun posted:

Where are these quotes from?

S1E0. It's like a preview behind the scenes making of episode. It's really informative and cool.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Torquemadras posted:

Man, I love how the Enigmatic Gale causes such incredibly exaggerated gasps of horror wherever the name is heard, solely on the basis of how brutally he owns people. He's basically the ultimate hustler of wuxia

Also, feeling bad for poor, mass-murdering Princess of Cruelty. :( She's got an A+ win lined up, against two improbably powerful badasses, and then fate just keeps snatching things away from her. I REALLY hope she doesn't just die pointlessly at some point, she's unexpectedly entertaining.

I think there was more to that final scene than just the cop mentioning Enigmatic Gale. The lighting change implied that the cop has some kind of interrogation powers. The way that scene was shot and directed was awesome though.

Speculation: the monk is a demon but doesn't know it for some reason. Maybe his soul was cleansed or taken away and he doesn't remember it. I can't think of a better explanation for why Rou Fuyo goes after him so relentlessly.

I'm also wondering why he says things like "I believe it was divine providence that allowed me to live" when he was clearly intentionally dodging attacks.

Princess of Cruelty is going to be a swerve. We're all supposed to think she's going to cave to the pink sword but there will be a twist of some kind.

I need to go back and watch that episode again. It was really dense. So much happened and I probably missed some important subtleties.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
My wife and I were trying to figure out what it is that motivates Hunting Fox such that Enigmatic Gale can gently caress him over and crush him. We think it's a combination of self-importance, greed, and "hunting" people down by letting everyone else do the hard work and then taking all the credit, among other things.

My wife thinks that Enigmatic Gale is going to set things up such that he captures Shou Fu Kan, obtains the sword index, turns them in to the local police to take the credit away from Hunting Fox, then make sure Hunting Fox is completely disgraced, possibly to the point of being hunted down by the Seiyuu empire. THE HUNTER BECOMES THE HUNTED and all that.

I think it's brilliant and my wife is brilliant. I'm not toxxing for it or anything but I think she's at least on the right track.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Knowing ling he's already 10 steps ahead and he's been laying down the foundation to accuse fox of being the enigmatic gale

This is amazing and I love it. You guys rule and this thread rules.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I have to keep repeating this but everyone knew what Lin's deal was in season 1 and they still got owned in the end. Knowing it just makes you more vulnerable because it makes you think you have a leg up on him

That's what I was thinking too. It doesn't matter what the chief of police or whatever tells Hunting Fox next episode. Enigmatic Gale is basically a trickster god and will prevail with minor setbacks. Major setbacks (like not knowing that the magic sword in S1 imprisoned a demon or that Bones of Creation would be willing to die to counter-troll Gale) will be fixed by Shou Fu Kan or someone else like Rou Fuyo or possibly both.

I mean, we know Death King is currently stomping his way towards Dong Li right now and will be wreaking havoc all over the place once he gets there and someone will need to finally kill him. Plus whatever happens when the pink sword is finally unsheathed will need to be dealt with.

I hope fat cheeks guy from the movie makes a cameo and fulfills his promise to repay the favor to Shou Fu Kan too.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Sindai posted:

I wonder if the plot is they need to figure out how to convince the monk to help fight Seven Blasphemous Deaths because he's the only one who can completely ignore its mind powers.

This is probably true but two things:

Shou Fu Kan already imprisoned the sword before so I see no reason why he can't do it again.

Also, the sword can promise the monk the answers he seeks. Whether or not he will fall for it remains to be seen. I think he's immune too but we'll see.

Also yeah I think Enigmatic Gale has a new target and it will be awesome to see what he does, or if he's going to get owned.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Someone start pasting Seven Blasphemous Deaths quotes onto glamour pics of Aoi Yuuki tia :tipshat:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I'm kinda disappointed. I really thought the monk would be immune to the sword and would actually be a part of putting it back in the index again but after thinking about it it makes perfect sense.

He only cares about finding answers to questions given with conviction. He wonders why a person whose life he saved was taken by another person whose life he also saved. The answer the sword gave him was "just kill everyone" and that answer was given with utmost conviction so blammo, he got exactly what he was looking for.

I went and watched the episode where Rou Fuyo first saw the monk and attacked him almost immediately. Rou Fuyo could have easily taken the monk's life if he had just given him a reason. He didn't though. He said "I don't want your life but you will forfeit it just the same" and then Shou Fu Kan stops him from killing the monk and lets the monk escape. Those 2 could have prevented all this.

And yeah RIP POC. She was an awesome underdog and I legit felt bad for her the past couple episodes. SBD is going to be hard to deal with in the hands of the monk.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
The rest of the season is going to be a ton of rad fight scenes so I'm ok with that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

dogsicle posted:

the first half of s1 was wordy garbage that only paid off in the end imo

at least with s2 i have an attachment to lin, shang etc so it's no longer a thing i feel like i'm having to put up with

LOL

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
So I finally watched this week's episode and holy poo poo wow.

Dong Li certainly has its hands full with the monk.

Also LMAO at Enigmatic Gale wearing those glasses.

When is Death King going to show up?

And yeah next week's preview made me mark out hard. Ken San!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
That episode was so awesome in so many ways.

Ken San returned for 3 whole minutes but ok. He owns.

"GOOD HEAVENS!!!"

Hunting Fox being just some plain vanilla glorified smuggler rear end in a top hat and being like "Welp, now I can stop acting like a shithead with a huge ego. Whew!"

Rou Fuyo is still The Best and it sucks he's pretty much guaranteed to die.

LOL at the monk getting owned by a random boomerang from Gale. Monk+Sword are not quite as formidable a team as I thought.

Where the gently caress is Death King? He needs to be stomping that "impregnable" fortress into sand on his way to kill Gale and Rou Fuyo and Shou Fu Kan.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 11, 2018

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Xarbala posted:

lmao they made a special beat up, bruised face for Xiao Kuang Juan

Yeah that owned and I loved watching his broken glasses dangle around. They put so much effort into the details and I love it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Also RIP Death King. :( I really wanted him to go on a rampage before dying but welp. And I wonder if 7BD is more powerful now that she slurped up some dragon blood. She was glowing REAL bright after that. I still think it's going to take all 3 of the main dudes to take him down.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

a cartoon duck posted:

It seems like most of Goth Monk's power is his own, given how often Seven Blasphemous Deaths goes "holy poo poo don't do this are you nuts". Obviously the sword's power supplements him pretty well but it's his own mastery that got the job done every time. Even then, 7BD seems to think Shang can take him, or at the very least is willing to desperately gamble on that chance.

I don't think 7BD cares who can beat who. She was saying whatever she could to not get forced into a suicide pact with the monk. She clearly didn't think it through because hypothetically what if monk kills Shou? He's just going to turn around and march right back into the wasteland and jump into some random pit.

She's probably hoping Shou kills the monk and that she can mesmerize someone else right after.

I was talking to my wife about this episode and we both think it's hilarious that every single major and minor character in this season has gotten brutally owned at least once, and in ways most of us didn't expect. :laugh:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
PlayArts Kai needs to step up and make some quality TBF stuff. I would buy it all.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I can see it having dual meaning for Shou and the monk.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I just finished the finale and the post credits scene made me literally scream with joy. I am over the loving moon right now and also incredibly upset that I have to wait 9 or 10 months for the 3rd season.

And I totally agree with everyone about POC. She was a really good character and I don't like what happened to her. Or rather, we all saw it coming but I don't like how it happened.

My other complaint about this season is that it just sort of ends. I think I was hoping for a little more closure on some things. Hunting Fox just getting randomly chumped sucked. I wanted him to be some random bandit king that makes a cameo in season 3. The thing with 7BD is ok I guess but is she going to be the post credits surprise of the season 3 finale? I'm also kind of miffed that Gale had such a hard time fighting the monk. In season 1 he clowns Bones of Creation for free and now he just seems nerfed because the story needed him to be. "The Plan" was awesome though and it was really cool to see. I'm also really happy that Rou Fuyo didn't die.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I watched the finale again and it was even better the second time through.

I really hope they're setting it up for The Gang getting back together in season 3. Someone else mentioned that aspect was lacking this season and I agree completely. They all need to cooperate to protect the index next season.

More importantly, I love that there are exactly 3 holy swords to fight off the demon/bug invasion; one for Shou Fu Kan, one for Rou Fuyo, and one for Lin Setsu A.

And gently caress YEAH KEI GAI gently caress YEAH gently caress YEAH KEI GAI WOOOOOOOOO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Theowulv posted:

Puppet(puppet) Shang was so cool even Lin was like"wow! this is really cool!"

It frightens me a tiny bit knowing how much Lin enjoyed using Night of Mourning. I don't think he will turn evil or anything but that was kinda unsettling.