Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We shoulde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?

Nap Ghost

Schneider Heim posted:

Aoi Yuuki sword waifu Xie Yingluo best character

My favorite part of the Index is that they could a shitton more seasons with it as baddies keep stealing it and getting random swords that Shang has to go back and seal. Unless they up the ante of course, but there's always that element.

Well, I mean, there's gonna be a war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Who is that behind PoC in the tavern?

Edit:. It's Tan Ko lol. Hard to remember people who die 5 minutes into the first season.

The black and white one sucks because Rou Fuyo isn't a demure gay and Hunting Fox pushes his glasses up with his thumb.

SMDH

Rou Shin Kai giving PoC bunny ears owns though lol

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 8, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

That wizard woman from 200 years ago is 100% going to be the spirit trapped inside Seven Blasphemous Deaths. They're going to accidentally release her somehow. The heart in her hair gives it away.

Awesome opening episode. Best Girl Kei Gai was so nice to see again. I love her voice and how she's puppeteered.

Kinda surprised to see Lin paying any kind of tribute or respect to Screaming Phoenix Killer at the beginning but it was a cool callback.

I wish they would just let Ken use a loving spear. He's so much better with it. I hope this season he just says gently caress it and goes back to it.

Where is Tan Hi?!?!?! She better not only show up at the end.

New bug guys are pretty cool. I like magic sickle mantis dude but his hair is stupid.

Glad to see evil creepy obsessive princess from Sei Yu again. She's a great character and it's cool that we'll be seeing stuff happening on the other side of the Wasteland this season.

Yay my favorite show is back!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

If you really think about it Thunderbolt Fantasy is actually an obvious metaphor for the American civil war and the bug gang represents the north while Shou Fu Kan is very clearly supposed to be Robert E Lee and furthermore

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Excellent episode.

The way Kei Gai fights with her whip is so cool.

I had no idea what was going on half the time after the fight and it was great.

I definitely did not see Cybermonk coming at all. That's gonna be a thing.

Anyone have any guesses as to why Seven Blasphemous Deaths was silent the whole time? That was really confusing.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Awesome episode and I agree with everyone else on just about everything.

My only gripe is why didn't Shou Fu Kan heal Rou Fu Yo? It makes no sense. We've seen him heal people before. He healed Tan Hi in S1E1 and the leader of the Go In Shi in season 2 after he got attacked by scorpions. I kept waiting for him to do that and it was really weird that he didn't. Unrelated, it's also really hosed up that the bug gang has had a secret tunnel into the Phoenix Castle this whole time.

Next episode is gonna be awesome.

edit: Oh one other thing I forgot to mention. I was re-watching episode 2 with my sister and we noticed that Lin Setsu A picked up one of the flamethrower sticks used by the Martians and examined it briefly. That's exactly what he did with Tan Hi's guard in the first season to make a fake and I really hope that later this season he builds a flamethrower stick for someone to use. Maybe he can make a flamethrower spear for Ken to use!

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 17, 2021

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Queadlunn posted:

Goddamnit, I think my spouse and I might try to make a Ryoga prop...

You should. He owns.

My next big expensive cosplay is going to be Shou Fu Kan. It will probably be late this year or sometime next year but I love that dude so much and his outfit is so badass

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Lemon-Lime posted:

She's a long-time ally of Shang's who was helping him steal the swords in Xi You, and there's some unresolved romantic tension between herself and Lang Wu Yao. We don't know why she stayed behind when they crossed over, but we're almost certainly about to find out.

Everyone but Shou stayed behind because Sei Yu is their home and they were trying to keep the Emperor and the Princess from loving everything up.

Shou crossed the Wasteland of Spirits alone because he wanted to get the Index out of Sei Yu and try to find a place to keep it safe. He didn't want anyone else with him because he didn't want to endanger them.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Lemon-Lime posted:

We don't know why she stayed behind when Lang followed Shang over. We have no idea what happened to any of them between Bewitching Melody of the West and whenever they show up again in the main series, which is what we're presumably about to find out for Mu Tian Ming.

Ohhhh yeah I see what you mean. I would assume she had other things to do and Rou wanted to check on his homie and warn him about Princess of Cruelty being after him. But yeah I hope we find out more specifics.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Raenir Salazar posted:

Whatshisface even specified that the Royal Family were divinely appointed, so there's some manner of Mandate of Heaven happening in the setting.

For example, let us suppose that the Emperor has visions of the future, and knows that without the Sword Index, the nation will fall and be destroyed eventually no matter what they do. That even if they are replaced with a Wise and Virtuous ruler with skilled and loyal Generals, without the Sword Index and the willingness to use their, their position is strategically too precarious; they will eventually fall.

If we assume this is true for the sake of the argument for a moment (we know the Emperor is hidden away for some reason, we just don't know why) this would switch your perspective around wouldn't it? Then what's right and whats wrong don't remain still, but are fluid. Reading Machiavelli sometimes whats best for the people isn't doing things "for the public good" but is squashing your opposition as swiftly and ruthlessly as possible so you don't tax your people excessively paying for wars.

The peace and stability of Xi Yu later vs peace and stability now but inevitably destruction?

So I think looking at legitimacy through the lens of "are they good rulers?" is a really complicated question; the CGP Grey video "Rules for Rulers" encapsulates this well; but I think the point is regardless as to whether they are legitimate or not; our Hero is not willing to make that determination.

The Emperor is in hiding because of a prophecy given by an oracle. We don't know who the oracle is or what the prophecy is right now but I bet we'll find out and it wouldn't surprise me if the oracle was Kei Gai or another demon in disguise or something.

And Shou doesn't want to use the swords for a ton of very valid reasons and it sucks that now he has to confront the downsides of keeping the Index and not using it. But he's definitely in the right for doing so. As long as these things exist there is a risk of them falling into the wrong hands and everything getting hosed up in spectacular ways, including another possible invasion from the Demon realm and another War of the Fading Dusk. It sucks that Sei Yu patriots and soldiers are getting hosed over and betrayed by their leaders but Shou using the swords to drive off invaders is only going to bolster the standing of a lovely and corrupt monarchy that doesn't give a poo poo about its people anyway. Then we have The Bug Gang who are openly declaring "we are 100% certain that we are the best possible rulers of this nation" and people who say that are always pieces of poo poo who become despotic tyrants who eventually become imperialists. There is no way The Bug Gang wants to protect and save Sei Yu. That's just what Locust Wizard is telling people. If he got the Index he would absolutely go on a planet-conquering rampage.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 20, 2021

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Phobophilia posted:

Can Booch finally give our boy Lin a W for once? It's been two for two where his target has taken their L in stride, Lin is a very sore winner and he needs that ego boost.

I hope not. Vape Wizard is a huge piece of poo poo and watching him get owned every season is a highlight.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the first movie showed what it looks like when lin wins, and drat is it ugly.

And at the end of season 1 he "won" and almost caused the end of the world. Give me more Hunting Foxes to own him up and down.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

I finally had time to watch this week's episode and WOW was that a lovely cliffhanger. Waiting another week is gonna suck.

Kei Gai is still my favorite villain. I just love how she's voiced and how uniquely she's puppeteered. Most of the other puppets, when they're not fighting, have a lot of similar body language but Kei Gai is almost totally unique in every way.

And wait, sisterS? Plural? Oh poo poo!

Oh yeah and Vape Wizard is gonna get owned super hard again this season lmao

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Can Of Worms posted:

Ling Ya specifically said not to mention who sent them, so if there's any beef it's likely with Shang. Also suspecting that the blindfold means we are not going to see more blue bard action.

I'm wondering if she's either been blinded in combat since we last saw her or if she's trying to learn how to fight blind like Rou Fu Yo

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Exposition episode but that's fine because there was still a lot of fighting.

The Nendoroid cracked me up. That was really funny.

I like how they set up next episode to explain what happened to the blue bard lady since Shou left Sei Yu.

I'm really digging Kei Gai and her older sister. I really liked the 7BD back story.

I was 100% certain that Rou Fu Yo was going to end up drinking more than half the spirit medicine because they mentioned 4 times that he should only drink half of it and I'm a little disappointed that it didn't happen.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Lin Setsu A did not switch places with Ken San. If he did, Ken would not have spoken to Kei Gai the way he did when they first met in this episode. He would have talked the way Ken normally does because Ken would not have know he was vape disguised as Lin. Lin Setsu A intentionally "fell for the trap" and he is acting. 7BD's power is based on exploiting the desire for control and power from strength. Lin Setsua A does not give a single poo poo about that. He only wants to gently caress with people emotionally and has no care at all for the sword. The only reason he even used a sword at all in season 1 is because he figured out that the only way to obliterate Betsu Ten Gai's psyche was to beat him in a sword fight. He is 100% faking being taken over by 7BD and it will end in a glorious troll.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Xun posted:

I have never bought one of these nendo things before and I thought the Lin one is pretty cute so I checked online to see how much one costs.

people pay HOW much for these tiny plastic chibis????

I'm really lucky. I got the Shou Fu Kan and Rou Fu You nendos for Christmas. The Lin Setsu A nendos are crazy expensive.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Kei Gai is sexy as heck.

Also that was a really interesting episode. I still have no idea who Time Lord is. I really don't think it's the main demon lord guy that Kei Gai was talking to.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

pray for my aunt posted:

He mentioned going back to the time when their fates intertwined, and the next episode preview featured someone who is most likely Lang's mother. Someone upthread mention Azibaphels hair being the same as Lang's and at the time I thought it was a bad post, but it looks like thet were onto something.

That was me and stuff like that is very common in anime as a hint to the viewer

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Vape Wizard can't just swap places with people. He creates an illusion with his smoke which means he has to be in the same room or nearby the people he wants to deceive. Also the effects of the smoke eventually wear off. He can't just "swap" with someone and gently caress off elsewhere. Especially if the other person doesn't know that other people are under the influence of the smoke.

What was really weird to me in this episode is that Mantis and General guy both looked right at 7BD and didn't immediately start going crazy trying to get to her. That made no sense.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Turin Turambar posted:

In season 1 they show he has a magical head robe with the power of disguise. That's what he is using, not the smoke.

That could definitely be the case but then he has to make sure that he and the person he's impersonating are never together. If Vape Wizard is disguised as Mantis then where is the real Mantis?

The only way to unravel all this is that he has a bunch of those hoods and he convinced multiple people to wear them through manipulation.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Haha I was right too

The only thing I found weird that I have to go back and watch is Vape Wizard fighting as Mantis using Mantis' actual weapons and fighting techniques. It might be a timing thing but it would be crazy if he could do that.

The next episode is going to be completely off the chain.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Only slightly related to this but I just started watching I Maxed Out My Level and it's only the second show I've heard Aoi Yuuki in and it's cracking me up. This teenage witch in some weird alternate MMO reality is still an evil sword with a demon trapped inside and I can't stop laughing.

I may have heard her voice in other shows in the past but 7BD is the first time anyone ever told me "this is Aoi Yuuki and she is a very big deal and very famous and very awesome" so I actually paid attention to her voice and now anytime I hear her voice in anything else I will think of 7BD.

Anyway yeah General is guaranteed to die a heroic death so Shou Fu Kan can save the day. Monk is absolutely going to come back. The artificer guy from the beginning of the season will find him and they'll go back to the future together. Monk still has the sword Shou Kun Lin was trapped in and he will stop at nothing to put her back in there. He's not gone forever any more than he was at the end of season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Urobuchi is on record saying that he loves writing this show and wants it to go on for a long time. If the seasons keep getting funded then I'm in this for as long as it lasts. I love this show to death.