Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh man, season 2 is happening?

I am ready for Anime Puppets like woah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

But the action is pretty awesome.

I mean, you missed a dude's ribcage blowing out of his body. From his back.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Remo posted:

They had been building up to this reveal for the entire show as well, by using a distinctive wooden "thunk" sound every time he sheathed his sword

This is literally the best thing about season 1. The attention to detail on that.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Torquemadras posted:

That's exactly it

Feels like it undercuts what's really entertaining about that guy. Impossible badasses all over the place, and here's some smug guy who walks up to a serial killer hunting him, casually asks him to team up, and GETS AWAY WITH IT... Seriously, the sheer strength of him and Shang easily carried (almost) the whole show.

I guess the show's ultimately showing him as more of a smug, bored bully (not that he couldn't be that without sick sword skills...). Just a little disappointed. Let's see what this season's take on him is, now that the reveal is done with.

On the other hand, this is Wuxia.
If you're not a martial art's master, you're one of four things: the protagonist underdog martial artist who earns his path to mastery, a supporting character martial artist who second strings all of their fights but learns valuable lessons in the end (or dies,) an extra, or a stage hand.
You may also in fact be a prop.

I too prefer the interpretation of 'I 'mastered' the sword and got bored with it so instead I took up vape wizardry because I know, at my core, that I am a smug rear end in a top hat.'

Much like how Shang's irreverence on how awesome Magic Swords are fits his fighting style and general outlook :v:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 5, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Can Of Worms posted:

The characters have official art alongside their puppets on the official site (Season 1 here) and there was a manga adaptation of the first season. The art for the manga wasn't particular amazing but it was different.

The Manga adaptation is pretty different. It also adds some more pathos where the show doesn't and it's an interesting enough read to see what it does differently.

The original artwork is pretty good though. I find it kinda funny how some of the character designs were too plain so they gussied up the dolls for MAXIMUM GLAMOUR.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Xarbala posted:

Vapey's climactic character moment in S1 was him getting knocked down a peg.

Sure he got back up immediately after because it's not like a dead guy can own you twice, right?

I mean, Mei Tan's dead and Lin Xu wasn't. That's a victory in and of itself for the pragmatic.

And then Shang Bu solved the other problem pretty much immediately. That takes care of the double-ownage.

Nick Buntline posted:

Yeah, I don't think he's corrupt, but he's DEFINITELY evil. There's a reason Shang stole those swords from them in the first place!

Narratively, blue haired Glasses Dude is either part of the Evil Organization and is on another angle at getting the Sword Scroll back from a different angle than the Princess of Cruelty or he's working with the Evil Organization because Shang did indeed steal those swords, even if he stole them from arsehole wizards.

The intrigue comes from the question of 'is the majority of people in Xei Yu an arsehole wizard' considering the evil smile thing this guy has going on.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Elephant Ambush posted:

But then you see what he did to SFK and SFK didn't deserve that.

If Sha Wu Sheng's rep wasn't as bad as it was, Lin Xu's plan wouldn't have worked. There was no way The Screaming Pheonix Killer was going to rebrand himself by winning a tournament no matter how well he behaved during it. So while I agree that Lin Xu's scheme was on the level of 'holy poo poo man no wonder he hates you' on some level Sha Wu Sheng did indeed deserve that.

That's part of what makes the Enigmatic Gale interesting. You can see the justice/nobility in what he's doing even if he being an arsehole about it and why Dan Fei and Shang Bu are better than him in terms of character. Heck, even Juan Can has better moral fiber than Lin Xu.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Shang's an interesting take on his archetype both because of the setting he's in and the metacommentary he provides on it (Wuxia is pretty formulaic and full of fightingdeathsmans) and because he takes an enlightened/realistic stance on his morality.

Also he freely admits to being a slob about it, using plain language and a frank opinion to express himself rather than dressing it up in high language.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I'm a week behind but I like how Lang's big solo vs. the Dragon was the theme from the first season. So now I have proper lyrics to it instead of the silly one's I put into it.

AND NOW IT'S TIME FOR MISO SOUP,
STEP ON THE REEDS, AND CROSS THE ROOM
GRAB ALL YOUR KEYS AND GET A SAND TAN
WOAH-OAH AH OAH AH AH OH
WHAT CAN YOU SAY-AY!?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I think it'll be significantly simpler than that.

I mean, he ordered the death of a village of people that were possessed and not of their own will.
And then he teamed up with the perpetrator who had possessed them.
And he's in Dong Li, a significantly different place than Xie You.

It wouldn't surprise me if Lin Xue pulled a 'congratulations you're a criminal in this country and I'm your hunter. oh by the way I'm also the number one most wanted. funny how that works.'

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Space Flower posted:

Being a compelling Urobuchi side char is the single biggest death flag
rip screaming phoenix killer

You mean rip Juan Can Yun's Right Eye.

a computing pun posted:

b) Hahahahaha Hunting Fox's whole deal is amazingly petty. Like other than Lin, the guy is the best schemer in the show and yet his grand scheme has the goal of "find a fence to buy these stolen swords"

I like how Mie Tian's sword collection came back. Dude had an eye for swords after all and it's not like you can take them with you!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Torquemadras posted:

Hell, I'm just disappointed they killed the by far most compelling character of the season for little to no reason

Her character arc was pretty much over, so she's pointless and gets thrown into a blender to establish a new villain. Her death is utterly random, unfulfilling and does nothing. It's not part of her arc - it's just bad luck.

I disagree on the 'no reason' and 'utterly random' parts of this (and a little on the 'does nothing,' obviously it's made people mad at the injustice of it all which is something that was probably intentional.) Xie's death was set in motion when she stole the swords from Shang and upon learning exactly which swords she had, didn't try to get rid of the one she couldn't handle. After that her story follows a fairly standard tragedy.

We're shown repeatedly that she's in over her head. And when she picks up the 7BD we're shown that Shang's reason for collecting all those swords was a pretty good one indeed. Her arc takes an upturn when she manages to break the spell over her and decide to GTFO of being a villain. So she swims up to the surface and manages to take a breath of fresh air, take a look around at the bright world above the waters before Evil cruelly snatches that away from her.
Because actions have consequences, especially when you're dealing with forces beyond your control.

The reasons are there, it wasn't random but it was pretty unsatisfying and mean.

a cartoon duck posted:

It would also lend more weight to Shang Bu Huang's habit of sparing his habits having a positive effect on the world around him rather than those just dying five minutes later anyway.

One of the sub-themes this season is what I'd tentatively call: 'how does one handle evil?' We've seen three different takes on this (Shang's, Lang's and a repeat of Lin's) and all of them have their positives and negatives.
First we have Lang's: snuff out the seed before it sprouts.
Good thing: it would have prevented a lot of bad things from happening this season if Lang just merc'd the Monk/Lie when he had the chance.
Bad thing: going around killing people because they're incredibly likely to do bad things sounds pretty much exactly like what a villain does. Good intentions don't excuse Evil acts.

Then we have the repeat of Lin's: co-opt it's evil nature to defeat itself.
Good thing: Evil defeating itself is always great to see (and makes things less evil, so win-win.)
Bad thing: Sometimes Evil doesn't care if it's defeated. Sometimes Evil is incredibly petty. Sometimes Evil is perfectly willing to do other Evil things if it can no longer do one.

Finally, Shang's: Defeat it if you have to, but spare it if you think it's worthy.
Good thing: Redemption is a net-positive Evil-defeating practice and it tends to make the world a better place.
Bad thing: Some Evil cannot be redeemed. Some are prone to relapse into Evil. And sometimes when you turn your back on Evil to show it mercy, Evil's just going to take the opportunity to bite you in the butt.

Darth Walrus posted:

As for Lin, he's established as being really good, but not as good as Shang, both in the physical and the philosophical sides of swordsmanship. If Shang has difficulty blind-fighting someone, you can bet Lin will too.
Lin's probably every bit as good as Shang (or even better) with swordsmanship, but there's some things you can't fight with just swordsmanship. Poison and Mind Control being the most relevant examples. Difference is, Shang's probably done this before and thus he knows how to handle it (and both Shang and Monkman are, for all intents and purposes, equal in their qi channeling.) Lin not only has to fight someone he can't look at, he's likely not used to the style of qi channeling the monk uses (he prefers trickery to brute force) and Monkman is the type of person that Lin's psychological shenanigans just aren't effective against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

THE VAPE IS SMOKED IN WIZARD HUE
THE SHADOW OF DEMONS, WHO CROSS THE ROOM
ENDURE THE PAIN, SEASON 3 IS NOW
WHAT CAN I SAY-AY!?

Yes I know it's soon, but that doesn't fit the song lyrics well enough :colbert: