Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I thoroughly enjoyed XBC2 (and I played entirely in portable mode) and am loving XBC1 despite only being a little over an hour in. I tried XBCX a little bit but didn't get very far into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Terper posted:

Oh that's spicy.

It's less of a complement of Xenoblade 2 and more of a criticism of the entire series.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I just finished by second play through of Breath of the Wild.

Completed every single quest, did every shrine, finished both DLCs, did not collect every korok seed because I'm not that much of a sperg lord.

I don't know what to do with myself now. I need another game to fill the void.

Skyrim's not my thing. Subnautica was great after the first time I played through BotW. Link's Awakening was cute but just "ehh".

Just need something that gives me the feeling of being on a big adventure full of discovery. It's way too long until BotW2.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

psylent posted:

Completed every single quest, did every shrine, finished both DLCs, did not collect every korok seed because I'm not that much of a sperg lord.

Skyrim's not my thing. Subnautica was great after the first time I played through BotW. Link's Awakening was cute but just "ehh".

Just need something that gives me the feeling of being on a big adventure full of discovery. It's way too long until BotW2.

Did you just miss the last page of xenoblade talk?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

psylent posted:

Hollow Knight did a great job of filling the explore void. Hyper Light Drifter is pretty good too in that vein. Any old Metroid game particularly Super Metroid.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hopefully it gets some massive patches to optimize it.

Shame they never did patch Link's Awakening.

But it's fine? I know I don't care much about frame rate, but the slow-down if anything, mirrored the slow-down the original had when transitioning, which while not ideal I guess?, was never a real issue, and if anything is rather authentic.

JohnnySmitch posted:

It starts off like a basic mini golf game, but it’s packed with tons of different game styles in little bite-sized challenges, many with silly unexpected surprises. I’m probably 1/4 of the way though, and so far I’ve played levels cribbing Mario, Flappy Bird, Rocket League, Portal, Angry Birds, Slime San, bowling, soccer, and a ton of other weird twists on golf.
I never played it on Apple Arcade (I’m not a big fan of gaming on my phone), but I’ve found it to be lots of fun on the Switch. I’ve been having a lot of fun playing the local multiplayer mode (which I believe is exclusive to the Switch version) with my son, too.

Thanks, sounds neat, but still not something I'd get. I was wondering if it was Frog Fractions off.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
I second hollow knight. Go in without a guide (at least until you finish and want to do the super secret hidden stuff still) and it's a super fun and satisfying world to discovery. I just played it for the first time this past week, couldn't keep my hands off it. Excellent game.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Is Bowser a Kaiju?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
How's that Ninjala game? Is it any good?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Is Bowser a Kaiju?

In the Galaxy games there's an argument for yes, since hes like the size of a building, but most games he's just a couple feet taller then Mario which is too small to be a kaiju

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is Goldar a Kaiju? Does he shift between Kaiju and not Kaiju? If he is always a Kaiju then so is Bowser.

Also grows giant in Sunshine, Inside Story, 1000 Year Door, Yoshi's Island series, 3D World

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

punk rebel ecks posted:

To make things short, it's a very high quality and ambitious JRPG in the same way that Dragon Quest VIII, Shin Megami Tensei III, Final Fantasy VII, Chrono Trigger, and Persona 5 were. As in it's not just "a classic" but a timeless classic that still feels as fun and fresh today as it did upon release.

Lol at persona 5 being there

Aithon fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 28, 2020

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Is Bowser a Kaiju?

SimCity SNES would have us believe so

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

A friend of mine wants to play bug fables and I thought I'd surprise them with a code as I've been able to buy codes before.

Gotta ask, is there a way to do that for this game :sweatdrop:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Usually you can buy codes on Amazon, that's how I bought Kentucky Route 0 for someone

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Away all Goats posted:

So I don't really care about the graphic issues/non-issues of XBC. I've never played any of the xenoblade games but someone described it as having MMO-like combat? Is there aggro and skill cooldowns? I'm one of those brokebrained people that liked playing as a tank in WoW.

Is there any reason I shouldn't grab it? I'll probably play docked most of the time anyway

MMO inspired definitely. I had trouble with it for a while because I'm a knobhead and ignored the big pop up that said "IT'S ALL ABOUT AGGRO MANAGEMENT". Reyn got his tank stance skill and I said "Deals less damage? gently caress that" and didn't put it on his bar.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No don't beat yourself up, you are correct. Every character should only do their max damage skill at all time. It is the game design that is wrong.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

pyrotek posted:

I don't understand why they cut out the tree branches swaying, but other than that it clearly looks the best, even with a resolution drop compared to the emulators.

They had to trim small corners to include higher res textures I suppose. I doubt I would have noticed while running around in game. I certainly would not have remembered it existed in the original game a decade ago to even make the comparison.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

No don't beat yourself up, you are correct. Every character should only do their max damage skill at all time. It is the game design that is wrong.

There are quite a few games where the sole good strategy is "have the biggest numbers".

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

But it's fine? I know I don't care much about frame rate, but the slow-down if anything, mirrored the slow-down the original had when transitioning, which while not ideal I guess?, was never a real issue, and if anything is rather authentic.

It was never a deal breaker for me and I adored the LA remake. I think it could have benefitted from slightly longer in the oven.

This bug Paper Mario clone looks adorable.

https://youtu.be/XeAM_fiWwVY

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I too enjoy NIS strategy games

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Welp Resi 4 just dropped to half price (£15) in the UK eshop which was my threshold for instant buy, guess the backlog is gonna grow

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Butterfly Valley posted:

Welp Resi 4 just dropped to half price (£15) in the UK eshop which was my threshold for instant buy, guess the backlog is gonna grow

Today is going to be a good eshop day I can feel it in my bones. To many days of bum deals in a row.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Secret of Mana came out when I was 16 and as a result I did not play it. Now that I’m old and not constantly high I decided to finally give it a go. I hesitantly shelled out the $40 for the collection, booted it up, and HOLY poo poo this is the most gorgeous loving game I have ever seen. God drat!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Happy Hedonist posted:

Secret of Mana came out when I was 16 and as a result I did not play it. Now that I’m old and not constantly high I decided to finally give it a go. I hesitantly shelled out the $40 for the collection, booted it up, and HOLY poo poo this is the most gorgeous loving game I have ever seen. God drat!

Mid-late 16bit Square was absolutely killing it with pixel art.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Aithon posted:

Lol at persona 5 being there

I mean dragon quest is also weird as it’s the exact opposite of ambitious

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
How is the RE4 port on Switch Lite?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Foul Fowl posted:

Amazing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Foul Fowl posted:

Needs gyro but it’s a good port otherwise.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Sweet, thank you

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Happy Hedonist posted:

If you think Secret of Mana looks good wait until you play Trials of Mana

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Needs gyro but it’s a good port otherwise.

The fact that RE4 Switch doesn't have gyro is a travesty.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
What's wrong with Persona 5? It was probably one of my top games last year

Alternatively I'm curious to hear about the "good" RPGs. If they're flat out better than P5, I definitely would like to play them

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I went to school to become a tank. Now, enemies might always attack me, but don't worry, I also do less damage.

I am a damage dealer. I do a ton of damage and enemies don't give a gently caress! I basically don't exist to them

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

KingSlime posted:

What's wrong with Persona 5? It was probably one of my top games last year

Alternatively I'm curious to hear about the "good" RPGs. If they're flat out better than P5, I definitely would like to play them

While the game celebrated by most, it is disliked by some for a couple of reasons. Usually boiling down to enjoying the murder mystery of the previous game better, the game overstaying its welcome, and uncomfortable scenes that with the LGBTQ community that could be described as tasteless at best or obscene at worst.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Away all Goats posted:

Is there aggro and skill cooldowns? I'm one of those brokebrained people that liked playing as a tank in WoW.

I actually spent the majority of my time playing as the dodge-tank; found it quite satisfying to do stuff to hold aggro and read the enemies to know how to preact.

Though if you'd rather be conventional:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

While the game celebrated by most, it is disliked by some for a couple of reasons. Usually boiling down to enjoying the murder mystery of the previous game better, the game overstaying its welcome, and uncomfortable scenes that with the LGBTQ community that could be described as tasteless at best or obscene at worst.

I'll admit the story wasn't very captivating when compared to earlier entries but persona games are already kinda campy and cringe so this never bothered me. Hell you get a grade school child and a freaking dog as a party member in fan favorite "lol so dark" Persona 3. Don't get me started on the stupid rear end robot character

Though I do like it when any mega ten game leans towards horror or macabre and yeah P4/P5 kept it very light in this regard

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

KingSlime posted:

I'll admit the story wasn't very captivating when compared to earlier entries but persona games are already kinda campy and cringe so this never bothered me. Hell you get a grade school child and a freaking dog as a party member in fan favorite "lol so dark" Persona 3. Don't get me started on the stupid rear end robot character

Though I do like it when any mega ten game leans towards horror or macabre and yeah P4/P5 kept it very light in this regard

For reference I think the game is fantastic, and feel that the story is far better than the fourth entry. The game is also held in very high regard by the gaming community at large. I'm just saying things that are general consensus from what I've heard of people who didn't think the game was deserving of its praise.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The story of P5 starts on a high note and then every arc is way worse than the first one. It's also obviously a game about teenage rebellion written by old men who don't want the rock the boat. If you are going bring those themes into a game you need to actually be brave enough to actually say something with it instead of chickening out of anything substantial. P4 is also guilty of similar writing issues.

Also it was way too long, everyone kept repeating the same basic plot points over and over again and the pacing was really bad.

I think it's an ok game (and stylish as all hell) but not an all time classic or anything.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 28, 2020

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
For sure, and yeah I can't fault anyone who was disappointed with the way the plot plays out. It was aite I guess, I kinda expected it to be a little tighter or more exciting towards the last acts.

And yeaaaah it's a long game. Only reason I got through it in a few weeks was due to the lockdown

Andrast posted:

The story of P5 starts on a high note and then every arc is way worse than the first one

This actually bothered me a ton this time around. Why is the first villian the best? Why are the next three just....not cool or interesting? The last few are a little better but they're still one note boring cardboard cut outs whereas the first guy was a relentless dick I hated. And in general why are the boss designs so bad?

I did love the game a lot! But I could have loved it way more.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I tried to play persona 5 on the PS3, but the cutscene:gameplay ratio is like 10:1