Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is it true that the Bioshock “physical” release is just a box with a download code?

There's no point in buying the physical copies. I want to play Borderlands 2, but I don't have 35 gigs on my memory card for it.

I already have it on PC, and it's all free on the Epic store right now... But Switch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is it true that the Bioshock “physical” release is just a box with a download code?

It probably has the first game or two on the cart but it has a 32gb download.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a limit to how much a Switch cartridge can hold? I mean, probably not since they're just basically SD cards, but can the system itself only recognize up to a certain size?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Oooof borderlands has gyro???

Yo I'm in, guess I'm playing that stupid repetitive game with horrible humor and completely wasted worldbuilding potential for like the 6th time

Gonna take down some bad-asses or whatever lmao while getting motion sickness from spinning in my $30 Amazon computer chair

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Is there a limit to how much a Switch cartridge can hold? I mean, probably not since they're just basically SD cards, but can the system itself only recognize up to a certain size?

I think it’s due to publishers cheapening out and not wanting to pay for higher capacity carts.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 29, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They have 32GB carts already and 64GB carts are supposed to become available this year, which should be enough for basically anything on the Switch, but yeah publishers like to cheap out and use the lower capacity carts to increase their margins.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm only in chapter 2 but Bug Fables writing is cute but also you can tell this is the first time the person tried coming up with a story.

The 'mysterious' party member you have sometimes drops his speaking gimmick or says stuff wildly out of character for the sake of a joke- and not because it's a character trait but because you can tell it got first drafted. Really though my only complaints so far is

-I'm jittery so the ice timed button press can be a nightmare
-The walk speeds to the left and right are aggressive in how glacial they are. Holy poo poo I want to move at a decent speed I'm begging you
-Writing is endearing enough but like I said there are some pretty weird things that probably sounded better in the devs head.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJLiLWQnRvE

Crystal Chronicles release date y'all

August 27!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

SeANMcBAY posted:

LOL so get this. The cartridge has the opening acts for all three Bioshock games and you're prompted to download the rest (can be downloaded individually)

Doesn't sound like there's a code, you just download a hefty free update for your cartridge.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Lord Lambeth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJLiLWQnRvE

Crystal Chronicles release date y'all

August 27!

We managed to pull this off with 3 people once, we were normally 2, and it was a unique experience. If the online were easy to pick up and play, even with randos, I'd consider it. Cross-play is already very good news, since it means there should be a large amount of people playing. It would need a good way to communicate though, it's would be hindrance if you can't instruct/dialog somehow.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ineffiable posted:

LOL so get this. The cartridge has the opening acts for all three Bioshock games and you're prompted to download the rest (can be downloaded individually)

Doesn't sound like there's a code, you just download a hefty free update for your cartridge.

That’s even stupider than just a code. Great job, 2K.:wtc:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ineffiable posted:

To be fair, this is the least bad way to release a physical game collection where the games clearly won't all fit on cart.

One alternative is to include the entire first game and have download codes for the others, as with the RE Triple Pack. But if you go to sell it later you're effectively only able to sell the first game (RE4).

The other alternative is to have a single title with the other two games as free DLC (AC Rebel Collection) or, worse, force updates. Those are fine from a resale perspective but you can't delete whatever space is taken up by the updates for the first game.

I can't figure out if I want the BioShock Collection. The space thing is a bit hard to swallow, but also it looks like it's $50 at all US retailers right now whereas it's $38 on shop4megastore, but the shipping delay loses the instant gratification. May wait for a sale.

SeANMcBAY posted:

That’s even stupider than just a code. Great job, 2K.:wtc:
Why?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

The main concern with most physical collectors these days is being able to play the full game. Not being able to resell.

With that collection you don't get any of the games as a full playable experience. The Spyro collection has the first game fully playable. Ideally you'd want all games fully playable offline.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

It should be illegal to sell physical games without a full cart. If you sell me say, a Resident Evil triple pack and only one drat game is on the cart you better send me 3 carts each with a game on it or you go to jail.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I bought Darkest Dungeon physical but not new, it automatically downloaded any content it was missing? :shrug:

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Lord Lambeth posted:

I bought Darkest Dungeon physical but not new, it automatically downloaded any content it was missing? :shrug:

Those are updates, and not 1/3rd the games advertised on the package.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ineffiable posted:

The main concern with most physical collectors these days is being able to play the full game. Not being able to resell.
It's a mixed bag across the board though. Nearly all games have significant day one updates that fix significant playability issues. The Witcher 3 which went "out of the way" to use a 32 GB cart still had a 3+ GB day one update. The only recent game I can think of that really got it right is the Metro Redux collection where both games are on a 32 GB cart and no updates.

For something like BioShock I would be willing to pay the cart cost offset if they could've waited for a 64 GB cart for, say $70 MSRP or $55ish street, but they didn't feel the market would bear that.

And while I still vastly prefer physical games, the joke is on the collectors now as the cart ROMs will probably bitrot before Nintendo shutdowns the eShop CDN.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

nintendo hasn't said when 64gb carts will be available to developers beyond "2020(?)" so 2k probably didn't feel like sitting on their hands indefinitely

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Ineffiable posted:

With that collection you don't get any of the games as a full playable experience. The Spyro collection has the first game fully playable. Ideally you'd want all games fully playable offline.

I'd argue the main concern of collectors is having a box to sit on a shelf rather than actually playing the games, and if they're buying new they'll be able to download the extra content until whenever Nintendo switch their servers off. Totally loving over the second hand market by having the extra games being a one time code is a much bigger problem.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'd argue the main concern of collectors is having a box to sit on a shelf rather than actually playing the games, and if they're buying new they'll be able to download the extra content until whenever Nintendo switch their servers off. Totally loving over the second hand market by having the extra games being a one time code is a much bigger problem.

I couldn't care less about having boxes on my shelf, I buy some games physical to try to save SD card space.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

games should just be all-digital but they'll also ship you an empty box with the icon printed on it for $5

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

thexerox123 posted:

I couldn't care less about having boxes on my shelf, I buy some games physical to try to save SD card space.

I mean yeah of course the ideal is everything on the cart but that's not what we're talking about.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Some games make more sense to buy digital than others. It's nice to play splattoon and animal crossing whenever for example.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Edit: nvm, I get the distinction you were making now.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 29, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Resale value is the only reason I ever buy physical so I'm definitely not getting any of those games that come with a code instead of a cart that way

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Can you go about with multiple memory cards? Or do I have to buy a bigger card and transfer everything over to it? Can you just drag and drop from one card to the other on PC?

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Which shovel knight game should I buy if I only want to spend $10 or $15 (I’ve never played one)?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The cardboard that contains the game is really cheap.

The book and the slipcase are super nice though.

I'm jealous of the PAL edition. That vinyl looks beautiful.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

Which shovel knight game should I buy if I only want to spend $10 or $15 (I’ve never played one)?

Shovel of Hope is the original so get that one.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Policenaut posted:

I could understand wanting to play XB2 in Japanese but the XB1 dub is amazing.

We will not tolerate ignoring Gormotti goodness here.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

Does Xenoblade have a Japanese VA option?

Never got a chance to play when it was on the Wii and never got around to it on 3DS
since i'm always the one asking for this, i feel like i should answer - you can change the voice to japanese

but in this case, even i will have to agree that the english dub owns

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
gently caress your physicals collections, I still want folders, I'm close to 100 Switch games on digital and it's kind of a pain to sort through which to play when they're all bunched together with no logical cohesion.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mega64 posted:

gently caress your physicals collections, I still want folders, I'm close to 100 Switch games on digital and it's kind of a pain to sort through which to play when they're all bunched together with no logical cohesion.

Set your sort to alphabetical order.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mega64 posted:

yeah christ almighty how about some fuckin folders!!!! or at the very least an option to only show games currently downloaded so i don't have to remember which 20 of my 80 games i have installed right now

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Deified Data posted:

Does Xenoblade have a Japanese VA option?

Never got a chance to play when it was on the Wii and never got around to it on 3DS

Yup, it does

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mega64 posted:

Default is ordered by last played, but I agree.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Weedle posted:

yeah christ almighty how about some fuckin folders!!!! or at the very least an option to only show games currently downloaded so i don't have to remember which 20 of my 80 games i have installed right now
Delete your games instead of archiving them.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Alright, what JRPG should I get? I'm looking for something to fill in the hole of Animal Crossing (and before that, Pokemon Shield.)

Xenoblade Chronicles
Dragon Quest XI
Persona FE or whatever it's called.

I'm allergic to bad stories and any pedo poo poo. I will be playing on the TV half of the time, and my dock is in a 65" 4K TV with a MClassic so something too muddy might also kill me.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

American McGay posted:

Delete your games instead of archiving them.

i only delete games that i hate and never want to play again. if i archive something it's because i plan to return to it or replay it someday and i don't want to forget about it. i just want to be able to temporarily hide archived games. they could make it an option in the little sorting menu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ExcessBLarg! posted:

To be fair, this is the least bad way to release a physical game collection where the games clearly won't all fit on cart.

One alternative is to include the entire first game and have download codes for the others, as with the RE Triple Pack. But if you go to sell it later you're effectively only able to sell the first game (RE4).

The other alternative is to have a single title with the other two games as free DLC (AC Rebel Collection) or, worse, force updates. Those are fine from a resale perspective but you can't delete whatever space is taken up by the updates for the first game.

I can't figure out if I want the BioShock Collection. The space thing is a bit hard to swallow, but also it looks like it's $50 at all US retailers right now whereas it's $38 on shop4megastore, but the shipping delay loses the instant gratification. May wait for a sale.

Why?

Or just put more cartridges in the case. Its not like they need the space for the manual, they could fit 3 in there.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 29, 2020