Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Odd Mutant posted:

Alright, what JRPG should I get? I'm looking for something to fill in the hole of Animal Crossing (and before that, Pokemon Shield.)

Xenoblade Chronicles
Dragon Quest XI
Persona FE or whatever it's called.

I'm allergic to bad stories and any pedo poo poo. I will be playing on the TV half of the time, and my dock is in a 65" 4K TV with a MClassic so something too muddy might also kill me.

Xenoblade Chronicles is just good stuff. It has a solid story and characters and an absurd amount of content.
Dragon Quest XI is very very old school but also has a crapload of content. The story is far more 'fairy tale' than anything else. It does have one character who is an adult trapped in the body of a child but (correct me if I'm wrong because there was a whole bunch of time since I last played it) I don't think they do anything creepy with it, it's mostly used as a joke about her being tiny despite being confident/wanting to go to a bar/etc.
Tokyo Mirage Sessions is basically a Persona game built around lighthearted pop music. The latter is probably the biggest barrier to if you'll enjoy or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah they don't do anything creepy with Veronica. The only character they're a little creepy about is Jade, an adult woman.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Waffle! posted:

Can you go about with multiple memory cards? Or do I have to buy a bigger card and transfer everything over to it? Can you just drag and drop from one card to the other on PC?
You can swap memory cards but you have to power off the Switch to change them. It's not really designed for that use case so you're definitely better off moving to a bigger card.

Yes you can drag and drop the Nintendo folder from one card to another on a Windows PC. Not Mac though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ImpAtom posted:

Dragon Quest XI is very very old school but also has a crapload of content. The story is far more 'fairy tale' than anything else. It does have one character who is an adult trapped in the body of a child but (correct me if I'm wrong

Yeah, she's Serena's twin sister, but was cursed and had her magic stolen. And while you restore her magic, the age affecting part is apparently permanent because... comedic value?
They also make her the brains of the outfit, so she's kinda meant to be a walking contradiction.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Odd Mutant posted:

Alright, what JRPG should I get? I'm looking for something to fill in the hole of Animal Crossing (and before that, Pokemon Shield.)

Xenoblade Chronicles
Dragon Quest XI

I'm allergic to bad stories and any pedo poo poo. I will be playing on the TV half of the time, and my dock is in a 65" 4K TV with a MClassic so something too muddy might also kill me.

they're all incredibly different in terms of RPG style with combat/story/artwork/etc so your mileage may vary. All are good games, I guess it depends if you want an oldschool experience (DQ), a Persona-lite kind of deal (Tokyo Mirage), or Xenoblade, which is Xenoblade. DQ has a demo you can try though.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I don't know how to recommend a game to someone allergic to bad stories because that's insanely subjective.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
it's also the vast majority of games.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Lambeth posted:

I don't know how to recommend a game to someone allergic to bad stories because that's insanely subjective.

Chess?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

That part when the knight killed the bishop loving sucked

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Knights are the most rootable piece in Chess loving fight me, otherwise there wouldn't be multiple Switch games on how awesome Knights are.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, she's Serena's twin sister, but was cursed and had her magic stolen. And while you restore her magic, the age affecting part is apparently permanent because... comedic value?
They also make her the brains of the outfit, so she's kinda meant to be a walking contradiction.

V spends the game dunking on the rest of the party and is awesome and rad

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Odd Mutant posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles
Dragon Quest XI

DQXI. There is a ten hour demo on the eShop and your save data carries over into the full game. It's an absolute joy to play. There is no pedo poo poo.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

Which shovel knight game should I buy if I only want to spend $10 or $15 (I’ve never played one)?

I'd go with the original or King Knight, as it feels like the most polished. The other two are good, but Specter Knight is rather gimmicky and Plague Knight is good, but an acquired taste.

Odd Mutant posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles
Dragon Quest XI

Do the Playstation Final Fantasies with me. I've only pretty much 7, the story's a bit weak but the characters are great, and there's no pedo stuff! I'm confident 8 will deliver.

Actually, thinking back to 1-6 FF feels super clean and not weird, just like proper stories and characters. Maybe that changed? I'll find out.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Odd Mutant posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles
Dragon Quest XI

Either of these, both are excellent. If you want an extremely deep rabbit hole of content and the thrill of exploring a huge world with lots of interesting sights to see, go xenoblade (though maybe look up the combat first in case that isn't your thing).

DQ XI is turn-based and has a fair amount of modern QOL but is very traditional, but that isn't a bad thing, the DQ series is where most of the traditions come from after all.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Do the Playstation Final Fantasies with me. I've only pretty much 7, the story's a bit weak but the characters are great, and there's no pedo stuff! I'm confident 8 will deliver.

Actually, thinking back to 1-6 FF feels super clean and not weird, just like proper stories and characters. Maybe that changed? I'll find out.

The FF games avoid all that skeezy poo poo, the worst they have are a token women with big tits occasionally but they'll treat them like actual characters that just happen to have big knockers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'd go with the original or King Knight, as it feels like the most polished. The other two are good, but Specter Knight is rather gimmicky and Plague Knight is good, but an acquired taste.

Final Fantasy 6 literally has one of the main characters thinking about how he'd totally go after a 10 year old if she was just a bit older.

(FF6 is my favorite FF game but any interaction between Edgar and Relm is Creepy.)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Final Fantasy 6 literally has one of the main characters thinking about how he'd totally go after a 10 year old if she was just a bit older.

(FF6 is my favorite FF game but any interaction between Edgar and Relm is Creepy.)

I'm pretty sure Edgar was supposed to come off as creepy and gross

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Once I get a larger SD card all I need to is swap out the old one and redownload everything that was on the old one right ?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
If you have a PC with enough space you can even just copy all the contents to the PC, then copy them to the new SD card.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
So while we are on the subject of carts is there a list of them that also has the info on wether they include the complete game on the cart or not?

I like the idea of carts for single player game I’ll probably play once and never revisit, that way I can resell or give loan/give them out once I’m done.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If the physical copy includes more than one game, unless it's a collection of old ROMs or something I'd assume at this point at least one of those games is download-only.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's so many publishers and compilations that all handle it differently. Sometimes it's not even consistent. Capcom is notorious for their compilations having some on a download code, like their Resident Evil and Mega Man collections. But Mega Man ZX Collection is all on cart.

Final Fantasy X/X-2 is one application, but you gotta download X-2 using a voucher code. Collection of Mana on the other hand was all on one cart. (Yeah, I know SNES games are significantly smaller than HD PS2 games.)

A list would be useful.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Yeeesh DQXI does not look great blown up.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm jazzed for that board game compilation because sometimes I just like a simple game of poker to unwind

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Super hype for clubhouse games

From the club house eshop page posted:

Pass a Joy-Con to a friend*** to play on a single system or connect to the internet**** and play with friends or anyone around the world. 
I love how ominous the asterisks are. Hopefully we can make a Goon Goon Room

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Currently playing Xenoblade Chronicles while listening to Lady Gaga's new album on my first day off in forever. This is about as good as life gets for me.

For anyone on the fence, XCDE is the game to get. It was a revelation when I played it on the Wii and I looked forward to XCX and XC2 over the years, only to be really let down by both. A remaster is exactly what it needed; Xenoblade Chronicles holds up.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Numlock posted:

So while we are on the subject of carts is there a list of them that also has the info on wether they include the complete game on the cart or not?

I like the idea of carts for single player game I’ll probably play once and never revisit, that way I can resell or give loan/give them out once I’m done.

Reselling single player games isn't the problem, even if they require a download. The issue is games that are twin/multi pack only including one game on the physical cartridge and then having the extra game be a one time download via a code in the box, I.e. Bayonetta 2 with 1 as the code or FFX and X2.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I went with XBDE after comparing XB2 and DQXI blown up on my TV. XB2 is a little blurry but still okay, DQXI is a mosaic mess.

Plus DQXI and TMS:FE are probably due for a sale sooner than XBDE.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
DQXI looks totally fine.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

DQXI S is also the only version with non-midi music if I remember correctly?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Odd Mutant posted:

I went with XBDE after comparing XB2 and DQXI blown up on my TV. XB2 is a little blurry but still okay, DQXI is a mosaic mess.

Weird, I have a giant 4k tv, also using an mClassic, I thought DQ11 looked better by far.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Mega64 posted:

If the physical copy includes more than one game, unless it's a collection of old ROMs or something I'd assume at this point at least one of those games is download-only.

I thought this about the physical copy of Risk of Rain 2, but it comes with the first game on the cart as well. I intended to share the code since I already own it, but it was not to be. A nice surprise if you bought Rain 2 without having tried the 1st one though.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Odd Mutant posted:

Man, I hope you're right about that, but I somewhat doubt it. I've been waiting for any sort of reasonable discount to show up on either.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Weird, I have a giant 4k tv, also using an mClassic, I thought DQ11 looked better by far.

I would think a painterly style would’ve translated well but the outlines really pronounce the aliasing going on, and sometimes they even get lost in the artifacts.

edit: this is with still objects. In motion it’s less of a problem.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 30, 2020

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Sony TV for life. The upscaling is truly, truly outrageous.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Unless you got the Asia-region version of FFX, which has X-II on the same cart without extra downloading. Or the special (also Asia) edition of Bayonetta, which actually came with II on a separate cart.

Detective No. 27 posted:

A list would be useful.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Odd Mutant posted:

Get DQ11 on PS4 if graphics are that important to you. It’s missing a bunch of features and has just a lovely midi soundtrack but it looks nicer and you can find it for cheap.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Odd Mutant posted:

Yeeesh DQXI does not look great blown up.

You're supposed to bake your Switch not blow it up

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
should I take the 100,000G stimulus check for owning xb2? Or is it going to ruin the pace of the early game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thunder Bear posted:

Currently playing Xenoblade Chronicles while listening to Lady Gaga's new album on my first day off in forever. This is about as good as life gets for me.

For anyone on the fence, XCDE is the game to get. It was a revelation when I played it on the Wii and I looked forward to XCX and XC2 over the years, only to be really let down by both. A remaster is exactly what it needed; Xenoblade Chronicles holds up.
i've already played further than i have in the old version(s) and all i can say is

i'm really feelin it