Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Everyone with clubhouse 51 should continually check your email for the survey and then complain about the missing features. Gotta get a patch for this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Ogmius815 posted:

This is super interesting, so a link would be good. I think this comports with my experience. I think it's very likely that I spend more time reading this forum and thinking about video games than actually playing them. I think the only times I actually play video games for more than about an hour a day are during the roughly two weeks after I've bought a new one, which I would estimate I do about once every 2-3 months.

Yep, agree with your last statement except I buy a new game every 2 weeks :/

And sure, the youtuber used this survey if you wanna dig into the primary research yourself, looks like its based on 2018 figures with a sample size of 9600 Americans aged 15 or older:
https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/atus.pdf

And here's the video itself which was pretty interesting despite its clickbaity premise/title card:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yag5sA8vkqc

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some unease with Nintendo about the gambling side of stuff like Hold 'em... but just don't include it if you're gonna limit it that much, that sounds really dumb.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah i don't know about that, anything with 51 games in it is gonna be lacking in execution. Not surprising but a little disappointing because the previews show really pretty visuals

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

It's extra weird because Blackjack lets you choose your bet like any normal game.

And for all of my complaints about the poker in this, I'm addicted to takoyaki even though it has essentially no gameplay.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

So are there any good card games for 3-4 players in Clubhouse 51?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dip Viscous posted:

It's extra weird because Blackjack lets you choose your bet like any normal game.

And for all of my complaints about the poker in this, I'm addicted to takoyaki even though it has essentially no gameplay.

Does blackjack let you double down or split aces?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

*There are a few games on the original DS version that I feel like are missing here. I think the biggest snubs are Spades and Hearts, but Rummy and Bridge and "I Doubt It" and "Pig" would all be fun additions if they want a DLC pack for the future (I'm sure there's a few more Wii Play/Sports/Party games they could rip off to fill that out), and obviously Go should eventually show up.
for some reason I just assumed those would be there, that's a bit of a bummer :(

well, time to learn something new

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh boy... I play way too many drat video games. Quarantine gets me usually 3-4 hours a day especially between 11pm and 2 am. It's also what's got me to finish off a ton of games early on into the quarantine. I'm pretty confident a big chunk of my Triple AAA games will be done by the end of the year. The real trick is to not get sucked into buying indie games at the drop of a hat. They'll always be around and generally cheap.

I also have longer 3+ hr sessions at times but don't necessarily play video games every day so it still evens out to maybe 1 hour a day for me (def a little higher with quarantine, maybe 1.5)

I spend way more than an hour a day reading about or talking about video games, watching gaming content, etc. I should probably change that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I somehow never lost a single game of Rummy in Clubhouse DS, so I'm half disappointed and half relieved that it's not in Clubhouse Switch.

Mancala owns though and now I'm tempted to pick up a physical version to play with a friend.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Re the backlog chat. I budget about $100 a month for videogame which seems a bit low for a hobby and I usually buy games on sale and I still find myself with 10+ games on the backlog. And I also still put in 3-4 hours on average on games a day. It's just the very nature of the hobby if you take advantage of sales and don't restrict yourself from buying another game when you're in the middle of one.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Rock My Socks! posted:

Uno

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Rutibex posted:

It lets you double down but I don't think there's any split.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Steam taught me to not buy loving games unless I plan to play them immediately, regardless of whether they're on sale or not.

You all should learn that same lesson, backlogs are for suckers.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Steam taught me to not buy loving games unless I plan to play them immediately, regardless of whether they're on sale or not.

I do this (and it's what everyone should do for money reasons) but in practice it just means that my giant evergrowing wishlist functions pretty much the same as a backlog.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Rutibex posted:

You can double down, no splits or insurance.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I may have a job to keep me busy, but I’m still going into Nintendo direct withdraw.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Kikkoman posted:

Is there anything in your done pile? Maybe listing those off will put things in perspective.

Recently I finished Switcher main story, saw credits in Animal Crossing, and I'm working through the 8th (out of 9) set of levels in that Overlord Picross game.

Yes, my done pile consists of:

Final Fantasy 12
I think that's actually about it!

I play a lot of rocket league, mario kart, animal crossing, exit the gungeon, dead cells, and stuff like that.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

mancalamania posted:

I do this (and it's what everyone should do for money reasons) but in practice it just means that my giant evergrowing wishlist functions pretty much the same as a backlog.

not to mention I am no longer in denial about the fact that I enjoy the purchasing dopamine rush. Being good with my backlog means I won't get to enjoy the experience of a shiny new game until 2025 at the earliest

Now I just do what I want when I want, no more planning or worrying other than avoiding egregious spending. I now understand the value comes from it being fun time, not min max time

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Stop buying games you idiots.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Rock My Socks! posted:

Not technically a card game, but Riichi Mahjong is basically a card game, and it's fully-featured in 51.

It's really good, and has many features friendly to new players. What I'm trying to say is, play Riichi Mahjong. More people need to learn how to play the Best Table Game Ever.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

mancalamania posted:

The difference is you haven't paid money for the games on your wishlist.

There's a ton of cool games that I want to play but I probably won't ever will. Obra Dinn, for instance, I don't know if I'll ever get the opportunity. But that's fine because there's plenty of other good games I can play right now that I'm currently enjoying, like Clubhouse Games and Bug Fables, and maybe there will be a point where I don't feel like playing another game and will plop down the $20 for Obra Dinn and enjoy it like I expect I will.

Don't worry about missing all the good games, just focus on the games you want to play right now. When you don't have anything you want to play, then you look at your wishlist and maybe grab something that's currently on sale, or do what I do and browse the sales to see if any cheap indie grabs your attention. I've found a few cool hidden gems this way!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

American McGay posted:

I keep telling Nintendo to stop releasing games, I'm glad they're finally listening and after Paper Mario there will no longer be any new games on the Switch!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

but there's no freeshop on the switch :(

sometimes a man is left with no choice

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Pikmin 4 pushed back to the Switch 3 Pro X Ultra Cobra

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Rutibex posted:

I grabbed this the second I noticed it. Extremely good quality so far.

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/wargroove
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CacV3hrVA9E

I've seen this and I believe you but I just can't vibe with that art. I want Andy and tanks, I accept no imitation!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Don't you push Pikmin back up anywhere you perverts

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

another minor but noticeable complaint for Clubhouse 51: The computer AI for Yacht Dice is absolutely atrocious. I get that it's programmed to go for the straights at the beginning above all else, but twice now in four games I've seen the computer get a small straight on the second roll and then take the points instead of taking the free roll to try and get the large straight. I've also seen it take a pair of 4s over a pair of 2s (which means you've got 4 points to make up in the upper section to get the bonus instead of just 2), it will completely trash it's upper level score to still have a chance at the Yacht instead of taking the safer points, which wouldn't be as frustrating if, on the final roll when all that's left for it to get is a Yacht, it will act like you have to roll all 5 in the same roll and throw away 3-of-a-kind on the first roll. It's really bad, I've played a lot of bad knock-off phone Yacht-esque games but I've never seen an AI so poorly programmed. You'd think a pure numbers game would be easier to get right than like, chess or shogi or any of the more complicated games in this set.

Another minor thing is that I wish you could select the number of players for some games when you're playing with yourself. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to have 3 AI opponents in Yacht Dice (although that might just make their glaring flaws weaker) instead of one, or a few extra players in Takoyaki or War or Lines and Boxes.

Rock My Socks! posted:

President!!!! President is real fun, especially with real people who you can taunt mercilessly when the revolution comes and the president is suddenly at the bottom.

Dip Viscous posted:

I thought I had no idea what Takoyaki was going into it but it turns out that I played it a bunch when I was a kid, except we called it Garbage, and it was a much longer affair because instead of just "First to 10 cards wins," it was a whole thing where the first person to flip all their cards in a round would then have one less spot in the next round (so if you won a round where you had 1-10, the next round you'd have 1-9, then 1-8 and so on) and the game would end when someone won a round with just an ace. I understand why that's not a part of the game, although we also had a rule where instead of just drawing the next deck card you could use the card on top of the discard as well, which sped up the process a little, and could lead to some screwing your opponents over if you played with the joker.

It's a little bit of a bummer that it's not quite as deep in this game, but it would be silly to expect every weird mutation and house rule for the card games to have a presence in here given the sheer volume of games. Not being able to choose your bet in poker and terrible AI is much more important to fix right away.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

I'm going to fill up my memory card with good games then I'll stop. I have about 5gb left and enough nintendo dollars for about two games. Todays sales were mediocre and I know that there are no sales on the weekend so I'm making my decision now. I have narrowed it down to:

-Into The Breach
-Phoenix Write Collection
-The Flame in the Flood
-For the King
-Mercenaries Saga Chronicles
-Enter The Gungeon

Which two of these are best? Its hard to decide.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 5, 2020

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Just checked my purchase history and so far in 2020 I have bought...

SteamWorld Dig 2 ($7.99)
LUMINES REMASTERED ($7.49)
ACA NEOGEO THE KING OF FIGHTERS '98 ($7.99)
Toki Tori ($0.49)
Toki Tori 2+: Nintendo Switch Edition ($4.94)
Animal Crossing™: New Horizons ($59.99)
Preventive Strike. ($0.05) [lol]
LA-MULANA 1 & 2: Hidden Treasures Edition ($59.99)
Rayman® Legends Definitive Edition ($9.99)
Clubhouse Games™: 51 Worldwide Classics ($39.99)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Rutibex posted:

I'm going to fill up my memory card with good games then I'll stop. I have about 5gb left and enough nintendo dollars for about two games. Todays sales were mediocre and I know that there are no sales on the weekend so I'm making my decision now. I have narrowed it down to:

-Into The Breach
-Phoenix Write Collection
-The Flame in the Flood
-For the King
-Mercenaries Saga Chronicles
-Enter The Gungeon

Which two of these are best? Its hard to decide.

Into the Breach and Phoenix Wright. I've heard good things about Enter the Gungeon so that's a good alternative if you don't feel like intense strategy or goofy charming adventure games.

Also I'm upset every time there's a Switch update that doesn't include folders, I have almost a hundred games now, it'd be nice to have all my roguelites in one place and my puzzle games in another.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

American McGay posted:

Just checked my purchase history and so far in 2020 I have bought...

SteamWorld Dig 2 ($7.99)
LUMINES REMASTERED ($7.49)
ACA NEOGEO THE KING OF FIGHTERS '98 ($7.99)
Toki Tori ($0.49)
Toki Tori 2+: Nintendo Switch Edition ($4.94)
Animal Crossing™: New Horizons ($59.99)
Preventive Strike. ($0.05) [lol]
LA-MULANA 1 & 2: Hidden Treasures Edition ($59.99)
Rayman® Legends Definitive Edition ($9.99)
Clubhouse Games™: 51 Worldwide Classics ($39.99)

Good call, since 100% of my 2020 gaming purchases were on Switch. Actually, they began March 13th, a week before Animal Crossing came out. Last game I bought before that was like... Sekiro or Resident Evil 2, whichever came out most recently.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons (like $51ish from Best Buy even though they dicked me out of the $10 gift card)
Mario + Rabbids Gold ($19.99)
Picross S3 ($5.99)
Nintendo Switch Online ($19.69)
Axiom Verge ($9.99)
Splatoon 2 ($29.99)
Toki Tori, Toki Tori 2 ($0.00 via Splatoon 2 gold coins)
Monster Boy & The Cursed Kingdom ($16.24)
Picross S4 ($9.16)
Moonlighter ($9.53)
Kemono Friends Picross ($6.51)
Picross Lord of The Nazarick ($6.66)
Yoku's Island Express ($6.45)
Fire Emblem: Three Houses ($59.99)
The End Is Nigh ($4.16)

That's a lot more than I thought. Also reminds me I need to go back and try to finish the ridiculously weird game that is Toki Tori, and actually start Toki Tori 2 for the first time.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Where would you even put rougelite puzzle games though

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

Into the Breach and Phoenix Wright. I've heard good things about Enter the Gungeon so that's a good alternative if you don't feel like intense strategy or goofy charming adventure games.

Done and done. Deku Deals no longer has a grip on me, the memory card is full!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i filled up my memory card like a year into switch ownership but i just keep buying more games and shuffling poo poo around instead of buying a bigger card

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Checking my purchase history for 2020 since we're sharing:

Wayout (Gold point purchase, not bad for thirty cents)
Clubhouse Games (Good so far)
Bug Fables (Digging it so far, Paper Mario but with its own identity)
Levels+ (Kinda had my eye on it, finally saw it on sale, it's alright for what it is but is clearly designed as a mobile game)
Reknum (I'm a sucker for retro-themed platformers but I gave up on this one quickly after all the instant-death traps annoyed me enough)
Mega Man Legacy (It's loving Mega Man)
Sega Ages Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Watching a lot of Sonic Youtube videos kinda got me wanting to play it, and I figured I'd opt for this over Sonic Mania, no regrets so far!)
Kakuro Magic (It was a pre-order discount, but the actual game is trash since there's multiple solutions for some puzzles which goes against the entire spirit of this kind of puzzle)
Trials of Mana (Loved it, looking forward to continuing my second playthrough when I'm up to it and then doing random job runs)
Picross S4 (It's loving Picross)
Killer Queen Black (Bought it as part of stuff to do with real-life friends while under the COVID-19 thing, liked it but we only played it once, I'd love to give it another go)
Aggelos (Retro-themed platformer, I enjoyed it a lot and recommend it)
Puyo Puyo Tetris (Played with friends a lot last time I was on vacation, only touched it since but maybe I'll give it another go soon enough)
SEGA Genesis Classics (Can't hurt to have a bunch of Genesis games to mess around with when I feel like it, though oddly the only game so far I put any time in was Fatal Labyrinth, aka the weird roguelike game)
Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Figured it'd kill some time, and it sure did the trick! Stopped playing now but I got 85 hours out of it and it's in my top 3 most-played games so definitely glad I got my money's worth out of it)
Boxboy! + Boxgirl! (I'm a sucker for puzzle games, one I still need to continue on!)
The Deer God (A dumb grindfest, pretty big miss on my part)
Unlock the King (One of those chess puzzlers, decent enough)
Seeders Puzzle Reboot (Got stuck on an early puzzle but it was dirt cheap so whatever)
Doom II (Owns)
Doom (Owns)
Shalnor Legends (Decent Zelda clone, kinda grindy though if you wanna 100% it so I didn't bother with that)
Lines XL (Alright puzzler, not great but not bad either)
Goblin Sword (A pretty solid action platformer with decent enough content, I'd recommend giving it a try)
Merchants of Kaidan (Sunk several hours into it and never touched it since, seems alright besides the terrible controls that make it clear this was originally a mobile game)
Fill-a-Pix: Phil's Epic Adventure (Was hoping the story was more insane than it actually was. Gameplay was alright until I realized it's just filler and nothing challenging, then I dropped it)
Gabbuchi (Solid platform puzzler, I reviewed it awhile back in this thread, definitely recommend it!)
Puzzle Quest (It's alright, but more a distraction than actually intellectually stimulating, plus rather grindy to get to the good stuff. I've beat it on DS already, no need to relive it again)
TowerFall (Figured it'd be fun for multiplayer and single-player, ended up not doing much of either, still a good game though)
Minesweeper Genius (Minesweeper + Picross, another game I reviewed in this thread, another game I solidly recommend even if the tile abilities are kinda meaningless and it's easy to meta-game the solution)
Not Not (Decent for what's clearly a mobile game port)
Nonograms Propechy (Pure trash, terrible interface for a Picross port and even has puzzles that can't be solved with logic. Go elsewhere if you're desperate for more Picross)

...That's a lot of loving games I bought this year. 32 if I counted correctly...

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 5, 2020

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

Done and done. Deku Deals no longer has a grip on me, the memory card is full!

Into the Breach is fantastic. If you really get into it, I urge you to check out some youtube videos of the creators discussing game philosophy, it really shines a light on how thoughtfully it was developed.

On that note, there is a patch coming to reduce costs of weapons in game, so look out for that.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
As someone that typically doesn't buy digital games, I feel like Clubhouse games is probably one of those ones you want digital. It just seems like little bitesized things to switch to in order to kill time

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

$15 is an acceptable price for RE4. Also Crypt of the Serpent King looks hilariously lovely. May throw that in for a laff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Into the Brach is bad. FTL is good. Hope this helps.