Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

punk rebel ecks posted:

Half of the "indie darlings" ten years ago wouldn't even get a second glance on Steam's New and Trending page today.
Speaking of which Braid got announced for a Switch re-release next year and honestly? Who's going to bother in 2021?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://youtu.be/gWqnz-7iQbY

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Tempura Wizard posted:

Speaking of which Braid got announced for a Switch re-release next year and honestly? Who's going to bother in 2021?
As someone who played the original to death an watches poo poo like Gamemakers Toolkit on youtube I am absolutely going to buy Braid in HD entirely for the in depth directors commentary.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Tempura Wizard posted:

Oh God, I just realized we’re going to see takes that Braid is “about being canceled”.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

nrook posted:

Oh God, I just realized we’re going to see takes that Braid is “about being canceled”.
Honestly a better take than "it was all about nukes!".

What is a breakup if not a very localized cancelling?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I will pay Jonathan Blow to mod my switch to not be able to play Braid

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I will pay Jonathan Blow to mod my switch to not be able to play Braid

has somebody done the Sealioning webcomic, only replacing the sea lion with Jonathan Blow?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Braid's really good

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
JBlow blows

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSXofLK5hFQ

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yeah Braid is good but Jon Blow always seems very self serious and I'm here to play it loud

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The only enjoyment to be had from Braid is watching Soulja Boy play it

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I don’t know about no rewind potions but The Witness might be the best video game experience of this generation for me.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

John Blow has strong opinions about how women are biologically wired to be less interested in STEM than men and if you say that he's an idiot then clearly you're a loony leftist!!!

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Lmao somehow never saw that Soulja Boy video.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Procrastine posted:

John Blow has strong opinions about how women are biologically wired to be less interested in STEM than men and if you say that he's an idiot then clearly you're a loony leftist!!!

turns out Braid is about more than just the trauma of one specific breakup in Blow’s life, it’s an allegory for every woman who might be tangentially interested in dating a relatively successful indie game developer learning his opinions on :biotruths: and noping the gently caress away

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

To be fair, I do feel that storefronts could do something so that new quality stuff get more attention, but as the post two above me stated, there isn't much money in that.

The thing is that a lot of quality stuff does get highlighted. Shovel Knight, Shantae, Cuphead, Undertale, etc all have gotten pretty big press from Nintendo.

What doesn't get promoted is the mid-tier stuff. Games that are good but not exactly superb or top of their game. Those games get ignored by almost everyone including fans. If you look at "best overlooked Switch indie titles" they'll probably have things like Katana Zero, Stardew, Celeste, etc. Stuff that is absolutely known but not "is in Smash Brothers" known and which Nintendo has promoted.

The question is how exactly do you promote "This game is okay but honestly not as good as (other similar more popular game.)" Pretty much any indie of any significant noteworthy quality does get promoted at some point. It's the weird obscure stuff and... well, that stuff is obscure. If it gets release the game as something even slightly bigger it's going to get overshadowed in most cases.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I wish I enjoyed anything as much as soulja enjoyed Braid

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Procrastine posted:

Wait, for real?

If that's true, to hell with him.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, for real?

If that's true, to hell with him.

The original tweets have been deleted since but really just imagine a lot of "if you deny there are differences between sexes then you're the REAL sexist", "James Damore agrees with me!!!" and "people are only bringing up these tweets to make me look bad" and you'll get the picture

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hey. Hey guys.

Remember Fez??

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Procrastine posted:

The original tweets have been deleted since but really just imagine a lot of "if you deny there are differences between sexes then you're the REAL sexist", "James Damore agrees with me!!!" and "people are only bringing up these tweets to make me look bad" and you'll get the picture

The irony that fields such as biology, biochemistry, neuroscience, anthropology, sociology, and psych have all been churning out like 60-70% women graduating classes for years at this point (and decades, for several of those fields) is lost on him.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
HOLD THE PHONE.

Celeste is “mid tier?”

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ImpAtom posted:

If you look at "best overlooked Switch indie titles" they'll probably have things like Katana Zero, Stardew, Celeste, etc. Stuff that is absolutely known but not "is in Smash Brothers" known and which Nintendo has promoted.

Celeste was the third-highest rated Switch game in 2018 and was such a big deal that Nintendo themselves did a Developer Interview.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1108422953484509185

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1109152762174959616

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1070886275291332608

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Nintendo does promote a lot of mid-tier indie games too in their News section, either for indie new releases each month or for groups of games based on a genre or some random gimmick like "Games where you can pet the dog" or "Games where you can gently caress your sword" that include a mix of bigger-budget games and indies.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

or "Games where you can gently caress your sword"

tell me more

asking for a friend

e: wait is that like xenoblade 2 or something

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Yeah, when I refer to overlooked indie gems without a publisher I mean stuff that used to get attention that otherwise would not today like say "Golf Story". Not stuff from Devolver Digital or already established indie giants.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Takoluka posted:

Celeste was the third-highest rated Switch game in 2018 and was such a big deal that Nintendo themselves did a Developer Interview.

That is what I mean though. It absolutely is not an unknown game but people put it on lists anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

tell me more

asking for a friend

e: wait is that like xenoblade 2 or something

https://store.steampowered.com/app/674930/Boyfriend_Dungeon/

I mean not just Xenoblade 2

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Man I wish Katana Zero wasn't so in love with dialogue

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

Man I wish Katana Zero wasn't so in love with dialogue
The wrong idea that every game needs explicit, text-based world-building seems especially widespread right now.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Heck yeah. Katana Zero would've been so much better without the lame plot and forced vignettes.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't own that game, but doesn't Katana Zero have a speedrun mode that cuts out the cutscene stuff? That's not NG+ only or something?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I didn't mind the dialog in KZ. The way your choices morphed was clever.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Social Animal posted:

Lmao somehow never saw that Soulja Boy video.

The Soulja Boy video on Braid is absolutely the best thing about Braid. The Witness is pretty alright, though.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Red Minjo posted:

I don't own that game, but doesn't Katana Zero have a speedrun mode that cuts out the cutscene stuff? That's not NG+ only or something?

The game is not that good even if you skip the cutscenes.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
On the topic of eShop visibility issues, going to answer my own question from last month here:

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Haven't played them, but what's up with the double packs? Aside from Slain & Valfaris there's Bleed Complete Bundle and Oniken + Odallus. I assume these are a single title with a menu to select the games. Is it Digerati just trying to capitalize on multiple sales?
The answer: Increased (2x?) sales from a second round of press coverage and being featured in the New Releases category.

Also if you check the price history for Valfaris and the V&S Double Pack they're just rotating between one of the two being on sale at any time, which maintains their visibility on the sales list.

Clever. Although if everyone started doing bundle releases that's going to get annoying fast.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Katana Zero was definitely an interesting adaptation of Jacob's Ladder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Didn't CBoyardee write Katana Zero? I usually like his stuff but I haven't played it yet.