Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I know Frankie did some art on it but I don't know who else worked on it. It wouldn't surprise me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Alwa's Awakening was cool and I'm looking forward to the sequel. Though lol if it ends with the game starting from the beginning again but this time in PS1 3D.

alwa's legacy has been out on pc awhile so i can confirm that it does not do that, much as i wished it did

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Didn't CBoyardee write Katana Zero? I usually like his stuff but I haven't played it yet.

yeah, along with the lead designer. its not really his usual style though, like I thought the writing was good but if I didn't know he had worked on it I wouldn't have guessed

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
If we're talking indie games, does anyone remember that idiot who went on a hunger strike over not getting an SDK?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah it was this guy; it was a sprite-based RPG for the GBA before and I guess now it's a falling block game on Steam? https://store.steampowered.com/app/529720/bobs_game/

He also tried to kickstart it for Ouya, lmao

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Argue posted:

Yeah it was this guy; it was a sprite-based RPG for the GBA before and I guess now it's a falling block game on Steam? https://store.steampowered.com/app/529720/bobs_game/

A puzzle game?!

He should have just made the quirky "edgy" JRPG that was promised with RPG Maker in a couple of months.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Wasn't this the schizophrenic guy living in a van ranting for years on the internet about how he was making the best game ever?
I'm surprised there was an actual game and it was actually released.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

You're probably thinking of templeos and terry davis. Bob of bobs game was just weird iirc

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I mean, it sucks for the indie games that are worth discovering drowning in the sea of infinite indie games, but that's kind of the problem- it's hard to rise to the top when you're just a drop in what's become an oncoming wave. Some better curation to block the utter chaff wouldn't hurt, but it's kinda the same thing I mentioned earlier with Iconoclasts- it's really hard to be a 'good' indie game now when two new great ones come out every week, and you're going to need to find yourself every edge you can secure yourself because you can't count on Nintendo/Steam/Epic/etc to carry your water when they have so many other titles that want to use their buckets too. You're not alone, you're not unique, and if you don't figure out a way to get your message out yourself you're absolutely going to drown because we are hilariously oversaturated with games to play these days from all sides and there's not infinite audience to buy all these new titles that come out every goddamn day.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Shovelware has been a Nintendo problem since at least the Wii days.

Still waiting on the HD remaster of Jerry Rice and Nitus' Dog Football

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Before that it was the PS2. And hell, the usual culprit pointed to for the Great Video Game Crash (Atari's bankruptcy anyway) is the platform being inundated with shovelware. Said before that even big publishers would dump games on the Wii with no advertising and then blame Nintendo when they don't sell well.

Also, indie game dev having a public meltdown of entitlement is pretty dog bites man.

Wasn't Jonathan Blow a faux-woke guy?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

canyoneer posted:

Or Ninja Bread Man!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Before that it was the PS2. And hell, the usual culprit pointed to for the Great Video Game Crash (Atari's bankruptcy anyway) is the platform being inundated with shovelware. Said before that even big publishers would dump games on the Wii with no advertising and then blame Nintendo when they don't sell well.

Also, indie game dev having a public meltdown of entitlement is pretty dog bites man.

Wasn't Jonathan Blow a faux-woke guy?

The video game crash is such a weirdly over-reported and poorly understood event in history I get triggered every time someone posts about it. There wasn't really any sort of "crash" outside north america, and North america's crash didn't last very long at all, with people writing off video games as a dead fad (even though they continued to sell gangbusters anywhere else) and not understanding the phenomenon. We're also not very likely to ever have an actual video game crash ever again.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 8, 2020

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Argue posted:

He also tried to kickstart it for Ouya, lmao

Bob's Game was supposed to be a game about developing a game called Bob's Game. The falling block game is the game that the actual game Bob's Game was supposed to be about, and basically exists as a failed attempt to raise funds for the actual Bob's Game.

Also according to some Youtube comments I read awhile back from people who had actually met him, the guy behind Bob's Game was a piece of poo poo and a sex creep even beyond his delusion and insane stunts.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

so the words "bob' and "game" now mean nothing but noise when I hear them

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Mega64 posted:

Bob's Game was supposed to be a game about developing a game called Bob's Game. The falling block game is the game that the actual game Bob's Game was supposed to be about, and basically exists as a failed attempt to raise funds for the actual Bob's Game.

Also according to some Youtube comments I read awhile back from people who had actually met him, the guy behind Bob's Game was a piece of poo poo and a sex creep even beyond his delusion and insane stunts.

I am shocked that the man who was the gold loving standard for bad indie game developer (until his crown was taken by that anime hitman game guy) was also bad at the women

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Are any of these Johnny Turbo Data East arcade games worth playing today? They're going for two bucks a piece but the only one I recognize is Bad Dudes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

Hey. Hey guys.

Remember Fez??

He's been developing Fez 2 in secret for the last seven years. He just doesn't want the pressure that comes with developing a sequel to such a classic. :tinfoil:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

There wasn't really any sort of "crash" outside north america, and North america's crash didn't last very long at all, with people writing off video games as a dead fad (even though they continued to sell gangbusters anywhere else) and not understanding the phenomenon.
The crash was a momentous event though that seriously kneecapped Atari and paved the way for Nintendo's entrance into the North American (and later, global) markets.

If nothing else, had the Atari-Nintendo deal gone though things would've likely looked a bit different through the 80s, although I suspect Nintendo would've gone alone at some point.

I don't think anyone seriously thinks "video games almost died."

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Social Animal posted:

Are any of these Johnny Turbo Data East arcade games worth playing today? They're going for two bucks a piece but the only one I recognize is Bad Dudes.

The few I’ve bought are accurate and faithful ports. Not many bells and whistles though, make sure you really like the game before getting any.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I really liked the katana zero story stuff actually

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Hand of Fate 2 is 70% off in the eshop.

Anyone have it that can comment on its goodness?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I have it on pc and really enjoyed it, it’s a fun cyoa/brawler hybrid thing that balances the different elements very well.

I haven’t looked into the switch port so I can’t say if there are any issues there, but the underlying game is good.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It's one of my favorite games.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I think it is super goddamn fun but the initial load time is a little long. Totally fine once you're in the game, though.

It's a mix of board game, COYA, Roguelike and brawler.

None of it should work but it does.

I've yet to beat it but I'll keep trying!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I played it for a couple of runs and I hated it. Like, I can see why people like it, but I had the exact opposite reaction to all the combined elements. Every single game mechanic just made me hate it more

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Daniel Ibbertson made the definitive work chronicling the Bob's Game saga.

https://youtu.be/pcYYOIThs7A

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

canyoneer posted:

since the nes days rather

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Daniel Ibbertson made the definitive work chronicling the Bob's Game saga.

https://youtu.be/pcYYOIThs7A

Sweet, going to dig into this video after I make my coffee! Didn't his game ended up being some super basic RPG maker kind of thing? Like not the worst thing for one person to make but absolutely not something anybody would really want to play. I remember thinking his eccentric behavior was just an internet publicity stunt

Guess I'll find out after I watch this video

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
3-DEES NUTZ

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Fez is like a game designed to appeal to my specific love of 2D/3D perspective world manipulation puzzles, collectathon platformers and Obscure as poo poo Myst nonsense. The dude was a bit of a prick and I wish he'd learned to not Tweet before the internet drove him off.

Also that's disapointing from Jblow. Not going to write him off from one bad deleted tweet tho.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Mr Phillby posted:

The dude was a bit of a prick and I wish he'd learned to not Tweet before the internet drove him off.

phil fish did cancel fez 2 but he's still floatin around games; he really did just learn to shut the gently caress up. worked on superhypercube and has done some other odd jobs here and there

also forgot that superhypercube was supposed to come to oculus before they canceled it beacuse of palmer luckey being a chud (and probably now wouldn't do it cuz of facebook), that would be a neat quest game :(

Mr Phillby posted:

Also that's disapointing from Jblow. Not going to write him off from one bad deleted tweet tho.

nah he sucks. witness is a good game and i liked braid at the time but the guy is an obnoxious dude

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
would jblow me

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I wonder if Nintendo will add a new VC system to online next month to keep people on the hook. I’d like to see GBA personally

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
This week’s switch sale has a bunch of b-list Turbo Graphix games such as Bad Dudes, Two Crude, Sly Spy, Joe & Mac, Super Burger Time

They are curiously using the terrible mascot branding of Johnny Turbo’s Retro Arcade

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

To anyone who’s sent in Joycons for drift repair - how long after you mailed them in did you get any communication? I sent mine in a week ago and I half expected at least a “We received your equipment...” email but it’s been silence so far.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

hatty posted:

I wonder if Nintendo will add a new VC system to online next month to keep people on the hook. I’d like to see GBA personally

According to the dataminers they've found hints of other systems and you can always trust a dataminer

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

dantheman650 posted:

To anyone who’s sent in Joycons for drift repair - how long after you mailed them in did you get any communication? I sent mine in a week ago and I half expected at least a “We received your equipment...” email but it’s been silence so far.

I sent mine in on June 24th, tracking showed they were received a few days later. I got an email confirming receipt on July 18, and an email saying they were being shipped back on July 20th. No communication whatsoever in the interim.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

dantheman650 posted:

I think it was about a week and a half and I got a "we received your equipment" email, then got a confirmation they were sending it back the following day, then got them a few days later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Both Ys 8 and Langrisser are finally on sale, but I have other stuff I need to buy too :smithicide: