Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

BOTW sold 600k more copies than Odyssey tho

All the more reason to not release a bundle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
But for real if there's a penguin killers tag lmk

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!
God drat. Playing Mario 64 for the first time at the age of 34 and... it's good! Even without the allure of nostalgia it's a drat fine game. Yeah there are minor complaints, but good lord those guys bottled lightning.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Mahoning posted:

Yeah I restarted Odyssey a few weeks back and you’re right. That whole cappy world they start you out at suuuuuucks and the game doesn’t really hit its stride as an all time great game until New Donk City which I was surprised how late in the game that actually is.

And frankly, the game really kinda of rushes you through each world on first play through. Like you get 6 moons and Cappy is like “Let’s get the gently caress out of here, quick!”

And the game is way better once you’ve gotten all of the “look, we’re gonna zoom in on this boss you have to fight and we’d really prefer it if you just went straight there despite these worlds being so full of all sorts of secrets and fun nooks and crannies to explore” bullshit out of the way.

Well, you can really do whatever. I explored earlier levels more thorougly, then I rushed to the end in later ones.
Also, before Donk city the sand kingdom is one of the best in the game, wood kingdom is less open but more challenging. The lost kingdom may be hit or miss, but I loved its quirkyness. Lake was the only near miss on a standard platforming criteria, but it's such a perfectly chill experience.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

American McGay posted:

Quoting this post for when I walk into Wal-Mart at 4pm next Friday and buy this for $49.

How did this go? Mine still managed to have a shitload of copies somehow

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Flint_Paper posted:

God drat. Playing Mario 64 for the first time at the age of 34 and... it's good! Even without the allure of nostalgia it's a drat fine game. Yeah there are minor complaints, but good lord those guys bottled lightning.

I'm looking forward to playing it again. When I saw Mario 64 at Toys'R'Us as a kid, it was like magic. I was astounded in a way that no other game has been able to replicate. Sure, it was because I was a kid, but seeing a fully-realized 3D game like that was something special. And like you said, I bet a lot of it holds up really nicely.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My store had probably 15. Dunno how many they had at the start of the day. I'm guessing 20ish.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Partner and I got our copy in the mail, haven't cracked it open yet.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I don't preorder often. I now realize Amazon doesn't really "get" what preordering a game is about.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

TheScott2K posted:

I don't preorder often. I now realize Amazon doesn't really "get" what preordering a game is about.

You are getting it today. You ordered it before today. What is your point?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TheScott2K posted:

What are you expecting? Your address happens to be at the end of one of Amazon's delivery routes. They don't have a separate van just for special boys who want their video game first thing in the morning. If you wanted to play it earlier today, you should have got the digital version.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TheScott2K posted:

I mean you're right, preordering is to get people to spend their money in a format that can't be refunded before reviews are out

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Waiting until the night before it comes out to ship it seems like setting themselves up for failure, and that arrival window has moved to the right twice.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TheScott2K posted:

Waiting until the night before it comes out to ship it seems like setting themselves up for failure, and that arrival window has moved to the right twice.

I dunno man, I just went to the store after I left work and once I finish the moon kingdom I'm going to pop it in and play

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Len posted:

I dunno man, I just went to the store after I left work and once I finish the moon kingdom I'm going to pop it in and play

Yeah, probably just gonna do that next time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:911:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

F

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
The 'point' of a preorder is that your copy is reserved for you before the general sale of the item over the counter / via walk in. Preordering delivery has all the pitfalls of regular delivery issues.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Work sucks.

I want to stomp around on tiny planets in 3D.

And fly with a water jetpack.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jesus I have 104 stars already. That just kind of happened - I was playing and then my friend did a large “get 70 stars and finish the game in one go” stream so I watched that and chatted at the same time. This is already the most stars I’ve ever had on the original N64 version (got em all on DS).

Other than 100 coins poo poo and the red coins in the last Bowser level all I have left to do is that one loving wing cap red coins bit opposite the Rainbow Road entrance. God I hate it

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
My wife is furious that they uninverted the controls in Sunshine and when I suggested that now might be a good time to learn to play games in the Lord's chosen camera control method she threatened to divorce me

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

RichterIX posted:

My wife is furious that they uninverted the controls in Sunshine and when I suggested that now might be a good time to learn to play games in the Lord's chosen camera control method she threatened to divorce me

The judge will giver her everything and justifiably so. Good luck.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm doing the Mario 64 courses systematically, getting all the stars (including 100 coins, usually simultaneously with the red coin star) in each one, roughly in sequence. Currently up to 45 stars and just starting Hazy Maze Cave. I suddenly remembered that getting 100 coins in Hazy Maze Cave was my 120th star in my first 100% playthrough.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I've been playing through this lately and I completely forgot about the level with the LSD clouds, SMW2 rules

This is very much not the game I'm talking about. All praise to SMW2 deserved, but I was referring to Super Mario Bros 2.

With Wart, Hawkmouth, Clawglp, Mouser, Birdo, and the Autobombs.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Man, Galaxy is as disorienting as I remembered. Why the gently caress do people love this game so much? Even the camera controls harken back to the PS1 days.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zurtilik posted:

Man, Galaxy is as disorienting as I remembered. Why the gently caress do people love this game so much? Even the camera controls harken back to the PS1 days.

Because it’s good.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I wasn't gonna get this game for a while because my bank balance was looking slightly low

but then I remembered my wallet has like $350 in it from craigslisting old poo poo so :woop:

Anyone know how long it takes for Nintendo's customer support to ship joycons back? I can play with my 8bitdo controller, but I'd like to use joycons once drift gets repaired

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Zurtilik posted:

Man, Galaxy is as disorienting as I remembered. Why the gently caress do people love this game so much?

You could ask the same question about alcohol.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Guh. I forgot how difficult the manta surfing in Galaxy was. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions, cuz I keep falling off the track.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fun Times! posted:

How's the camera in 3d all stars? Better than expected?

it’s the exact same as it was in the original games

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Finally loving got home from work, made a pan of scotcharoos. Its going to be a long night.

Im playing mario 64 and oh my God the nostalgia. I think I'm going to play through the games in order.

Ive been wondering though...when you jump against a wall in sunshine, does mario bonk his head and bounce off like in mario 64, or does he slide down megaman x style like in modern mario games?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Finally loving got home from work, made a pan of scotcharoos. Its going to be a long night.

Im playing mario 64 and oh my God the nostalgia. I think I'm going to play through the games in order.

Ive been wondering though...when you jump against a wall in sunshine, does mario bonk his head and bounce off like in mario 64, or does he slide down megaman x style like in modern mario games?
if you dive against a wall he bonks off, if you jump into a wall he slides down, even if you spinjump

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rimusutera posted:

You could ask the same question about alcohol.

It's terrible and makes me want to die?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

'So Long Gay Bowser' removed from SMAS3D

WHAT THE gently caress?!

I'm buying a scalped preorder recipt off of Ebay JUST SO I CAN CANCEL IT. :argh:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fun Times! posted:

How's the camera in 3d all stars? Better than expected?

you can't invert it so bad

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Where did this "So long, King Bowser" nonsense come from? It only takes one listen to hear that's clearly not what he's supposed to be saying. It's either "So long, eh Bowser?" with the hard g on "long" or "So long-a, Bowser".

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
It's amazing how well Mario 64 has aged. Those early 3d ps1 and 64 games all looked and controlled like washed out rear end. Compare Mario 64 to like, Castlevania 64 or Gex or Medevil and it's stark how much better Mario played than any of them.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

DeathSandwich posted:

It's amazing how well Mario 64 has aged. Those early 3d ps1 and 64 games all looked and controlled like washed out rear end. Compare Mario 64 to like, Castlevania 64 or Gex or Medevil and it's stark how much better Mario played than any of them.

Agreed. If the camera could’ve been figured out sooner it would be amazing. I don’t fault them too much they were figuring that out on the fly and what they came up with up is pretty decent for a first try.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Volte posted:

Where did this "So long, King Bowser" nonsense come from? It only takes one listen to hear that's clearly not what he's supposed to be saying. It's either "So long, eh Bowser?" with the hard g on "long" or "So long-a, Bowser".

Charles Martinet says the line was "so long kinga bowser" but it sounds so little like that it must have been edited or something

Maybe Nintendo wanted to remove "kinga" for brevity but left in the "ga"

repiv fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Volte posted:

I'm doing the Mario 64 courses systematically, getting all the stars (including 100 coins, usually simultaneously with the red coin star) in each one, roughly in sequence. Currently up to 45 stars and just starting Hazy Maze Cave. I suddenly remembered that getting 100 coins in Hazy Maze Cave was my 120th star in my first 100% playthrough.

I just did this star and it fuckin sucks