Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

it's a hadeslike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
The Strife sale is now up (EU tomorrow) 25% off. Also Turok.
https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio/status/1321897302747873286?s=19
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1321846155198689282?s=19

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
there are only two valid instances where you should write off a game just based on the genre

1. if it's a FPS and FPSes give you motion sickness

2. JRPGS

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You should always right off genres you don’t like.

You can’t make yourself like a genre

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Please refer to Age of Calamity as HW:AOC because I keep thinking everyone is talking about a certain congresswoman from New York

Would make a dope costume if someone at nintendo is lurking the forums.

Bleck posted:

there are only two valid instances where you should write off a game just based on the genre

2. JRPGS

Get Night Dive to fit Anachronox on Switch

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bleck posted:

2. JRPGS

Look at the Dark Souls hater over here.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Jimbozig posted:

See this makes an interesting point. If the acclaimed best roguelike is also the least roguelike, what does that say about the genre?

It says this: There will always be a market for people who want to have climbed the mountain without having to go through the trouble of climbing it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CharlestheHammer posted:

You should always right off genres you don’t like.

You can’t make yourself like a genre

Writing off an entire genre is really weird.

Edit: except sports games.

Edit2: But then, what about Behold the Kickmen, a visual novel soccer game...thing? Is that a sports?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Sports are the original game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Morpheus posted:

Edit2: But then, what about Behold the Kickmen, a visual novel soccer game...thing? Is that a sports?

It’s not weird, what makes a genre a genre is shared characteristics. If you don’t like them then duh it won’t work for you.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

Look at the Dark Souls hater over here.
I actively dislike the Souls games but Sekiro is one of my favorite games of all time.

Give hope a chance.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I've written off MOBAs

is there a good MOBA

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Whatever genre pokemon sword is called it's one that should be written off completely. It can't be adventure because the entire game is one long hallway with nothing to look at, it can't be RPG because there is no thought or incentive to engage with any of the game's mechanics other than "whack the enemy with your strongest dude" because the difficulty is braindead and insulting. I don't think it's an action game because it practically plays itself. Does that make it a visual novel then? Well, no, because the story is barely there and what is there sucks. Maybe it's a character piece on one of the worst written and developed fictional characters in history, Hop. Even as a game for toddlers to develop motor skills, it's lacking, bereft of any imagination, and it looks like rear end. It somehow manages to look AND run like garbage.

Maybe the genre is garbage. It was certainly a painful 30 hours to get through and I regret every minute the game was inflicted upon me. Not just a bad game, but one of the worst pieces of entertainment media ever created. Maybe some of what that shill at IGN was smoking when rating the game a 9.3 is the real treasure.

Hades is great though and the pinnacle of whatever genre it is.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

To me, roguelike is games from a wide variety of genres that use elements derived from Rogue rather than a genre unto itself. I see the term "traditional roguelike" applied to games that are really like Rogue and that makes enough sense for me.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas posted:

I've written off MOBAs

is there a good MOBA

Musou games are basically single-player MOBAs, which right off removes the worst part of MOBAs.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
anytime I play a sports game that isn't NBA Street Vol. 2, I get sad because I remember arcade sports games were the only fun ones, they are long dead, and they totally peaked with NBA Street Vol. 2

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 29, 2020

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Huxley posted:

Musou games are basically single-player MOBAs, which right off removes the worst part of MOBAs.

But the Musou came first so MOBAs still suck.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

anytime I play a sports game that isn't NBA Street Vol. 2, I get sad because I remember arcade sports games were the only fun ones, they long dead, and they totally peaked with NBA Street Vol. 2

:yeah:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Morpheus posted:

why on earth would that be weird lmfao. in general if someone has sat down and played, let's say, advance wars, civilization and masters of orion, and they did not like any of those, then it's probably fine for them to write of turn-based strategy games. like maybe you could really stretch it with games that are borderline not even in a genre, like someone who doesn't like rts games should still try pikmin or someone who doesn't like sports games should still try nba jam or wii sports, but generally speaking, if someone does not like the core underlying mechanics of a specific genre, it is completely absurd to expect them to keep trying out other games in that genre.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Wildtortilla posted:

Hades is Diablo 3 without an item grind.

I was reading through the roguelike-dislike (which is valid) while thinking "I wonder how many of these people also really like the Diablo series?"

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Games are just books on tape with paint thrown in your eyes and developing arthritis

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Dpulex posted:

Whatever genre pokemon sword is called it's one that should be written off completely. It can't be adventure because the entire game is one long hallway with nothing to look at, it can't be RPG because there is no thought or incentive to engage with any of the game's mechanics other than "whack the enemy with your strongest dude" because the difficulty is braindead and insulting. I don't think it's an action game because it practically plays itself. Does that make it a visual novel then? Well, no, because the story is barely there and what is there sucks. Maybe it's a character piece on one of the worst written and developed fictional characters in history, Hop. Even as a game for toddlers to develop motor skills, it's lacking, bereft of any imagination, and it looks like rear end. It somehow manages to look AND run like garbage.

Maybe the genre is garbage. It was certainly a painful 30 hours to get through and I regret every minute the game was inflicted upon me. Not just a bad game, but one of the worst pieces of entertainment media ever created. Maybe some of what that shill at IGN was smoking when rating the game a 9.3 is the real treasure.

Hades is great though and the pinnacle of whatever genre it is.

Try Pokemon Shield instead, it's much better than Sword.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Anyway, Tangle Tower is on sale and has a demo. Here's some banter I liked in the 90 or so minutes I've played so far.

https://twitter.com/m64_ss/status/1321919660862812160

https://twitter.com/m64_ss/status/1321919221761142784

https://twitter.com/m64_ss/status/1321920161402679296

https://twitter.com/m64_ss/status/1321920503217496064

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

Persona 5 Scramble does look good

Been a while for me on Musou games but that one piques my interest

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Excellent, thanks!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bleck posted:

2. JRPGS

The only genre I categorically write off is rhythm game, because I have absolutely no sense of rhythm and I can't play games based around it at all.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm legitimately surprised people on this forum wouldn't know where Mega64's avatar is from.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I think I'm too old and stupid to understand Wonderful 101.

I love looking at it and it's quite funny but I cannot figure out what the hell is going on.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Meridian posted:

The music in Hades slaps. It's so good.

Here is orchestral music from Baldur’s Gate III, Divinity: Original Sin II, Transistor, Hades, Pyre, Bastion from the recent Game Music Festival. I unfortunately can't point you to a specific Hades spot in the 2 hour concert though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3duWZPJm-9s

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kirios posted:

I'm legitimately surprised people on this forum wouldn't know where Mega64's avatar is from.

I was 2 when FF6 came out

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Lord Lambeth posted:

Get Night Dive to fit Anachronox on Switch

Holy poo poo yes

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kirios posted:

I mostly agree, but Final Fantasy 6 is 26 years old. Probably quite a few young posters who haven't played through an RPG from the 90s.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Silver Falcon posted:

The only genre I categorically write off is rhythm game, because I have absolutely no sense of rhythm and I can't play games based around it at all.

fair cop

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kirios posted:

Final fantasy 6 never came to the west until like, 2004 i think? And that was as a gba game so like, i can def see a bunch of people missing out on it

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I think I'm too old and stupid to understand Wonderful 101.

I love looking at it and it's quite funny but I cannot figure out what the hell is going on.

Don't be too hard on yourself because W101 is awful. I want to like it so bad but I just cannot get into it. Been trying to enjoy it for years now and every time I go in with an open mind and it's just not fun to play. I like action games, especially the Bayo games, but W101 is such a chore. Drawing symbols to change your power combined with having to recollect all your dudes any tiny you take damage turns the game into a major slog.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Final fantasy 6 never came to the west until like, 2004 i think? And that was as a gba game so like, i can def see a bunch of people missing out on it

I was playing FF3 on my SNES in like 1995...

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 29, 2020

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

You're joking right? FF6 was originally released as FF3 in the US.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You're joking right? FF6 was originally released as FF3 in the US.

gently caress me lol, youre right. I always forget they changed the numbers

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
square usa did that specifically to gently caress with me i bet

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Kirios posted:

Same. If I had known this I'd have a Kefka avatar myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
That being said, i dont think its all to hard to have missed it, i never had an snes so i didnt know it existed until the gba release