Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

SM3DAS question: How many stars can you collect in Galaxy before going to the center of the universe? I'm sitting at 98, and I seem to have run out of secret star hints, comet challenges, etc. I'm also missing a green star.

Overall it's a great game - Toy Time Galaxy is as good as any level in SM64, and much prettier to boot. There's only one thing that sucks as hard as the ten worst things in Sunshine (loving pull stars).

e: terrible snipe. goddammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I was 2 when FF6 came out

I was 3 when Return of the Jedi was released but I've still seen it a dozen times.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Optimist Prime posted:

SM3DAS question: How many stars can you collect in Galaxy before going to the center of the universe? I'm sitting at 98, and I seem to have run out of secret star hints, comet challenges, etc. I'm also missing a green star.

Overall it's a great game - Toy Time Galaxy is as good as any level in SM64, and much prettier to boot. There's only one thing that sucks as hard as the ten worst things in Sunshine (loving pull stars).

e: terrible snipe. goddammit.

1 star is at the center of the galaxy and 15 are post-game, so you should be able to get 104 stars before going to the final battle I think.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

mdxi posted:

I was reading through the roguelike-dislike (which is valid) while thinking "I wonder how many of these people also really like the Diablo series?"

People who play diablo on hardcore are monsters

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mandatory lesbian posted:

square usa did that specifically to gently caress with me i bet

If it makes you feel better, FF3 Japan came out on the Nintendo DS in 2006

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

gently caress me lol, youre right. I always forget they changed the numbers

I actually thought that was the joke.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Walla posted:

I was 3 when Return of the Jedi was released but I've still seen it a dozen times.

Cool

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mega64 posted:

Point 'n' click adventure post.

Oof! That reminds me that goon game Gibbous came out on Switch yesterday but still isn't on my console. Thanks!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

If I was cool I wouldn't have seen RotJ a dozen times. 😉

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cartoon Man posted:

Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior Hollow Knight?

Good first ten hours, too long and packed with tedium

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
But enough about this thread,

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Good first ten hours, too long and packed with tedium

Lol what

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

why on earth would that be weird lmfao. in general if someone has sat down and played, let's say, advance wars, civilization and masters of orion, and they did not like any of those, then it's probably fine for them to write of turn-based strategy games. like maybe you could really stretch it with games that are borderline not even in a genre, like someone who doesn't like rts games should still try pikmin or someone who doesn't like sports games should still try nba jam or wii sports, but generally speaking, if someone does not like the core underlying mechanics of a specific genre, it is completely absurd to expect them to keep trying out other games in that genre.

The issue is that there is so much drift between games in a genre that comparing two of them is often tough. For example youve listed games in two genres, turn-based strategy and 4X, which could be a subset but not always. Does that mean you don't like XCOM either, or like Final Fantasy Tactics, which is filled with RPG elements? Or Steamworld Heist, a turn-based sidescrolling game, or even Grim Grimoire, a weird side-view strategy game heavy on the anime.

Like you said, there are games that are technically in a genre but are different enough that someone might like them, so yeah, writing off genres is weird. It's about taking a look at mechanics I'm a game and seeing which ones apply, not the broad descriptor for the game as a whole.

Besides, some.genre descriptors are so broad as to be useless. Like 'roguelike'.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That being said, i dont think its all to hard to have missed it, i never had an snes so i didnt know it existed until the gba release

Not that it was hard to miss I guess, but it's considered one of the top 3 if not the GOAT in its genre. If you didn't know about it, hear, or see something about it. It would be weird.

Also, Kefka is just like one of the best villains ever. I'm sure there were gamefaqs polls about this when we were kids. And that's iron-clad proof right there.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You lost to a boss you just stumbled into. Your punishment is we're going to waste ten minutes of your time doing poo poo you already did.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I played a couple hours of Hollow Knight but it never clicked and I love metroidvanias. I will get crucified for this but its controls blew rear end.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

The issue is that there is so much drift between games in a genre that comparing two of them is often tough. For example youve listed games in two genres, turn-based strategy and 4X, which could be a subset but not always. Does that mean you don't like XCOM either, or like Final Fantasy Tactics, which is filled with RPG elements? Or Steamworld Heist, a turn-based sidescrolling game, or even Grim Grimoire, a weird side-view strategy game heavy on the anime.

Like you said, there are games that are technically in a genre but are different enough that someone might like them, so yeah, writing off genres is weird. It's about taking a look at mechanics I'm a game and seeing which ones apply, not the broad descriptor for the game as a whole.

Besides, some.genre descriptors are so broad as to be useless. Like 'roguelike'.

I'm pretty sure all turn based games are just XCOM

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

nocturne remake is out today in japan, anyone know whether if you buy from the jp eshop on an english switch whether its in english?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fungah! posted:

nocturne remake is out today in japan, anyone know whether if you buy from the jp eshop on an english switch whether its in english?

In for answers because screw waiting another 6(?) months for no good reason

Optimist Prime
Jul 30, 2007

Augus posted:

1 star is at the center of the galaxy and 15 are post-game, so you should be able to get 104 stars before going to the final battle I think.

Thanks - I mainly wanted all available stars in case it affects the ending. I found out which green star I'm missing, but I don't remember seeing a question mark on that mission after completing the three main objectives in the galaxy. So there are a handful of stars that are totally secret in-game? That's... unfortunate.

e: aaand it appears I didn't actually check any of the Bedroom galaxies, where I'm still missing the last green star *and* two secret stars. So, uh, please disregard.

Optimist Prime fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 30, 2020

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Final fantasy 6 never came to the west until like, 2004 i think? And that was as a gba game so like, i can def see a bunch of people missing out on it

I'm sure I'm late on this but is this a troll?

FF6 came out as FF3 on the SNES in like 94.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Hail Satan!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You lost to a boss you just stumbled into. Your punishment is we're going to waste ten minutes of your time doing poo poo you already did.

have you considered taking up a hobby like reading

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Poque posted:

I played a couple hours of Hollow Knight but it never clicked and I love metroidvanias. I will get crucified for this but its controls blew rear end.

I think it's normal for a metroidvania to feel better to play as you gain more abilities but Hollow Knight kind of takes how bad it feels at the beginning to the extreme in my opinion.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Poque posted:

Hollow Knight has a weak beginning, it only really clicked for me after I entered the City of Tears and beat a third boss there.

Also it's a love/hate game so you might just hate it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Please refer to Age of Calamity as HW:AOC because I keep thinking everyone is talking about a certain congresswoman from New York

The final boss is Calamity Banon.

Huxley posted:

Musou games are basically single-player MOBAs, which right off removes the worst part of MOBAs.

New to Dyntasy Warriors 10: If you do not pursue Lu Bu he spams you with racist comments.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Fungah! posted:

enojy posted:

In for answers because screw waiting another 6(?) months for no good reason

From what I gather, no, the Japanese release is only in Japanese. Presumably the 6 month delay is to do the other languages' localizations and an English dub, bare minimum.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
started playing Yuppie Psycho and it's very interesting so far. it's an adventure game with some survival horror elements. it's a pretty unsubtle satire on corporate office workplace culture where the corporate office workplace literally murders its workers. pretty cool so far

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Bum the Sad posted:

Hail Satan!

Mine showed up today too...they're pretty decent quality, they feel kinda heavy. Much better than I was expecting. I thought they were just going to be pinned to a cardboard backing or something

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

The final boss is Calamity Banon.

:trumppop:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just got my first and certainly not my last crash in DP. Is there any issue with skipping either by pressing start or even just avoiding conversations I've already had? Will they necessarily affect things later in the game?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I have way too much on my plate already, but I have $5 sitting in my eshop account. gently caress it, I'm getting Hades!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Just got my first and certainly not my last crash in DP. Is there any issue with skipping either by pressing start or even just avoiding conversations I've already had? Will they necessarily affect things later in the game?

It just crashes randomly, makes replaying chapters a loving nightmare since you can't save til you finish it

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Final fantasy 6 never came to the west until like, 2004 i think? And that was as a gba game so like, i can def see a bunch of people missing out on it
As others have mentioned, it was released as Final Fantasy III in North America in 1994, but wasn't released in Europe until the PlayStation port in 2002. I think VII was the first mainline title released in Europe.

But even in North America, while SNES fans may have been peripherally aware of Final Fantasy and JRPGs in general they weren't easy to get into with larger cart sizes making them more expensive than other SNES titles, and their length making it difficult to make much headway during a rental. I imagine that many North American FF fans got into the back titles after playing Final Fantasy VII either in their PSX re-releases or through SNES emulation.

Poque posted:

The thing about Hollow Knight is that it's a game designed with a 30-40 hour first play-through in a genre where 10-15 is typical. Given that, you would expect to be the first few hours to be slow and in Hollow Knight they certainly are.

By various metrics I'm roughly half-way through Hollow Knight now after starting it about two weeks ago. Two hours into the game I was still in the first area after having to grind currency in order to purchase basic map functionality (something I complained about at the time in this thread) and trying to explore it fully. Hollow Knight is a very atmospheric game and the first area certainly lives up to its namesake given how drab and desolate it is, but it's not really until you reach other areas that you start seeing the scope of what the game has to offer. And even then, you still have to make it all the way through the second area (amusingly, either "second" area) to finally get a movement upgrade that makes you feel something other than woefully weak.

I'm enjoying Hollow Knight a fair bit now--certainly after having sunk 20 hours into it--but it really doesn't play like typical Metroidvanias where, even though you don't have your abilities yet, you're still able to generally trek around the map out of the gate.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

pikwhen

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

As others have mentioned, it was released as Final Fantasy III in North America in 1994, but wasn't released in Europe until the PlayStation port in 2002. I think VII was the first mainline title released in Europe.

But even in North America, while SNES fans may have been peripherally aware of Final Fantasy and JRPGs in general they weren't easy to get into with larger cart sizes making them more expensive than other SNES titles, and their length making it difficult to make much headway during a rental. I imagine that many North American FF fans got into the back titles after playing Final Fantasy VII either in their PSX re-releases or through SNES emulation.

I'm a 93 baby and I found out what FF6 was via emulation. I also took several wikiwalks in middle school about the history of video games.

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

Trying out some demos.

Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory is an interesting take on Theatrhythm but the music really doesn't feel strong enough to be its own game. I don't remember any of the in-game tracks from that series being particularly great and the ones in the demo feel like menu/pause screen music. It honestly made me sleepy :comfyzelda: That said, I can see the KH fans in my life absolutely loving it.

HW:AoC is... Neat? I've never tried a Warriors game before, didn't think I'd enjoy it and ended up correct - but y'all already covered that better than I could. It felt like another game that is great for those who are already fans of the series, but in this case more for Warriors than LoZ. I am curious about the story and if the little Guardian's time travel will do anything funky to the LoZ timeline.

Tangle Tower is cute and charming, this one I'd like to get but I'm not sure if Switch or Steam is the way to go. The motion controls were fun for a bit (think collecting star bits in Mario Galaxy while the Switch is docked) but it did feel weird to play an adventure game with a controller.

Part of me wishes Hades had a demo but this thread (and the current sale) has me strongly tempted to get it anyway.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Going by sales FFVI SNES and the later PS compilation sold roughly the same figures in the US, 450,000 and 480,000 copies respectfully. These weren't horrible numbers, except that VII sold over 2 million in it's initial release.

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

Since I have a cat named Terra on my lap right now I want to say that FF6 on the SNES is worth playing (if you enjoy JRPGs). I didn't actually get to play until, well, some time after the Wii came out, but still greatly enjoyed it.
I only got to start playing SNES games at that point thanks to emulators and good SNES RPGs seem to hold up really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dpulex posted:

Whatever genre pokemon sword is called it's one that should be written off completely. It can't be adventure because the entire game is one long hallway with nothing to look at, it can't be RPG because there is no thought or incentive to engage with any of the game's mechanics other than "whack the enemy with your strongest dude" because the difficulty is braindead and insulting. I don't think it's an action game because it practically plays itself. Does that make it a visual novel then? Well, no, because the story is barely there and what is there sucks. Maybe it's a character piece on one of the worst written and developed fictional characters in history, Hop. Even as a game for toddlers to develop motor skills, it's lacking, bereft of any imagination, and it looks like rear end. It somehow manages to look AND run like garbage.

Maybe the genre is garbage. It was certainly a painful 30 hours to get through and I regret every minute the game was inflicted upon me. Not just a bad game, but one of the worst pieces of entertainment media ever created. Maybe some of what that shill at IGN was smoking when rating the game a 9.3 is the real treasure.

Hades is great though and the pinnacle of whatever genre it is.

:staredog::catstare::yikes: