Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

I think I'm too old and stupid to understand Wonderful 101.

I love looking at it and it's quite funny but I cannot figure out what the hell is going on.

Chip Cheezum gives fairly good pointers on how to play the thing on his LP. Helped me get gud anyway.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You lost to a boss you just stumbled into. Your punishment is we're going to waste ten minutes of your time doing poo poo you already did.

they make you do this in dark souls as well?

how do you deal with a normal game over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Dpulex posted:

Whatever genre pokemon sword is called it's one that should be written off completely. It can't be adventure because the entire game is one long hallway with nothing to look at, it can't be RPG because there is no thought or incentive to engage with any of the game's mechanics other than "whack the enemy with your strongest dude" because the difficulty is braindead and insulting. I don't think it's an action game because it practically plays itself. Does that make it a visual novel then? Well, no, because the story is barely there and what is there sucks. Maybe it's a character piece on one of the worst written and developed fictional characters in history, Hop. Even as a game for toddlers to develop motor skills, it's lacking, bereft of any imagination, and it looks like rear end. It somehow manages to look AND run like garbage.

Maybe the genre is garbage. It was certainly a painful 30 hours to get through and I regret every minute the game was inflicted upon me. Not just a bad game, but one of the worst pieces of entertainment media ever created. Maybe some of what that shill at IGN was smoking when rating the game a 9.3 is the real treasure.
Sir, this is a Wendy’s

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I would buy Pikmin 3 again if they altered the control scheme to allow for the usage of that thing you did with the C-Stick in 1+2 that allowed you to sorta directly control your swarm of Pikmin

Might not play nice with Pikmin 3's greater emphasis on selecting and controlling pikmin of a specific type though I guess

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Monkey Fracas posted:

I would buy Pikmin 3 again if they altered the control scheme to allow for the usage of that thing you did with the C-Stick in 1+2 that allowed you to sorta directly control your swarm of Pikmin

Might not play nice with Pikmin 3's greater emphasis on selecting and controlling pikmin of a specific type though I guess

it's really my only gripe with it but it seems like something i can adapt to so w/e.

i don't expect i'll love it as much as pikmin 2 but the demo still extremely sold me. i fuckin love pikmin and hope this sells real well so we get a pikmin 4 and a pikmin 1 + 2 remaster.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The demo of Pikmin 3 had a button to rush whatever is in front of you and I don't remember if that was in the original release.

anyway zerg rushing everything is fun.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Tempura Wizard posted:

Sir, this is a Wendy’s

lmao got him!!!!!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Lord Lambeth posted:

The demo of Pikmin 3 had a button to rush whatever is in front of you and I don't remember if that was in the original release.

anyway zerg rushing everything is fun.

In the original you could only charge at something after locking on to it. The new version lets you just charge pikmin towards the cursor at any time, which is a nice change.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I had FF6 on the SNES but as I eventually learned I cannot finish a JRPG on anything that isn't a handheld, so I couldn't get into it until the GBA version.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

Persona 5 Scramble does look good

Been a while for me on Musou games but that one piques my interest

It sounds like that one is staying japan exclusive.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lord Lambeth posted:

they make you do this in dark souls as well?

how do you deal with a normal game over

Good games phased out game overs over a decade ago

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Tempura Wizard posted:

Sir, this is a Wendy’s

I'm just saying i think lamefreak could make a game that isn't garbage trash if they gave a poo poo

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Good games phased out game overs over a decade ago

Without game over screens we wouldn't have had this thing that haunted my childhood and scared me into never failing ever again:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Dpulex posted:

lamefreak

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Splash posted:

Since I have a cat named Terra on my lap right now I want to say that FF6 on the SNES is worth playing (if you enjoy JRPGs). I didn't actually get to play until, well, some time after the Wii came out, but still greatly enjoyed it.
I only got to start playing SNES games at that point thanks to emulators and good SNES RPGs seem to hold up really well.

I also once had a pet named Terra, and one named Celeste

FF Rats

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I too am mad that Pokémon, a game series known for never changing its core gameplay loop, did not in fact change it’s core gameplay loop

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they made a bad pokemon its ok to admit

pikmin time

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

I also once had a pet named Terra, and one named Celeste

FF Rats

Were they magic rats?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Base Sword / Shield is...mediocre.

DLC 1 is...okay.

DLC 2 is really, really good!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

CharlestheHammer posted:

You should always right off genres you don’t like.

You can’t make yourself like a genre

I miss sports games, but I sure as gently caress don't miss how sports games are ruined by publishers for what feels like forever. Last one that I remember liking was 2k Football

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I got my copy of Pikmin 😸

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Truman Sticks posted:

Without game over screens we wouldn't have had this thing that haunted my childhood and scared me into never failing ever again:

also game overs gave us these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09s-c2JVI40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pPQnhhUqtU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

must make more fruit juice

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Augus posted:

must make more fruit juice

I'll carefully arrange the order of delivery to create the best colours

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

As others have mentioned, it was released as Final Fantasy III in North America in 1994, but wasn't released in Europe until the PlayStation port in 2002. I think VII was the first mainline title released in Europe.

But even in North America, while SNES fans may have been peripherally aware of Final Fantasy and JRPGs in general they weren't easy to get into with larger cart sizes making them more expensive than other SNES titles, and their length making it difficult to make much headway during a rental.

This was so true. When I was a kid, funcoland never had FF3 in stock (if they did it would have been like $80 anyway) so I used my $5 a week chore money and rented that thing from blockbuster for weeks straight.

Finally bought it off eBay sometime in my 20s and still have the cart. Although if one we play it again it will probably be with a difficulty hack.

On topic: port FF6 (non mobile) to switch you cowards! Or let Bravely Default team remaster it.

Kyoujin fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 30, 2020

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Well my son and I finished Kirby Star Allies Dimensions in Danger and the highest level of the arena. It's an insane ride and I loved it. We didn't get enough hearts yet for the mage sisters though, we're going to try and finish that now....I guess.

I lost it when Corrupted Hyness shows up and then summons his friends. 3 large logs with a hat and a coat looking like his generals.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Mister Facetious posted:

If it makes you feel better, FF3 Japan came out on the Nintendo DS in 2006

This doesn't make anybody feel better, try as I might to enjoy the drat thing

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I’m sort of amazed by how quickly my interest in owning Pikmin 3 went from basically zero to hitting preorder as soon as I’d finished the demo. I don’t like time limits etc but obviously this game does it in a cool way that’s forgiving, but yeah I’m having so much fun playing this, I’m gonna immediately get to play 1 and 2 after this.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Lord Lambeth posted:

It sounds like that one is staying japan exclusive.

What happened ?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Imhotep posted:

I’m sort of amazed by how quickly my interest in owning Pikmin 3 went from basically zero to hitting preorder as soon as I’d finished the demo. I don’t like time limits etc but obviously this game does it in a cool way that’s forgiving, but yeah I’m having so much fun playing this, I’m gonna immediately get to play 1 and 2 after this.

There’s a whole lot of content. The story mode is a lot of fun, you’ve got 10 mission maps with 2 layouts each (plus maybe more? I think there are some more DLC levels tucked in there somewhere), plus now there’s two side stories too, and all of them are really replaceable as you try to get everything done and get it done faster. Plus everything is co-op, and there’s a little competitive MP too.

I do so love the dungeons of Pikmin 2 but I think 3 has more replayability now. I’d love some HD Remixes of the first 2, just give them the control scheme that they came up with for 3 and they’ll be set. Everyone should go buy Pikmin 3 to send Nintendo the message that people like Pikmin and want more. Pikmin 1 was one of the first games that showed off the capability of the ‘Cube, and after 2 they spent a long time in the desert only to come to the conclusion that Pikmin is a game that particularly benefits greatly from higher fidelity graphics and 3 really pushed the limits of the Wii U and is one of the best cases for HD, so I think nothing would better usher Nintendo into the world of 4K than another Pikmin to drop some jaws.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's been out in Japan for months with no mention of a localisation and got dropped from their financials or something for this year. It would be utterly bizarre if it didn't get a western release though.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Hades owns. The hype is for a reason. Buy it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I tried the demo for Pikmin 3 and it's absolutely fantastic, kinda broke right now but once I get cash I'll go for it as well as NMH1.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kyoujin posted:

This was so true. When I was a kid, funcoland never had FF3 in stock (if they did it would have been like $80 anyway) so I used my $5 a week chore money and rented that thing from blockbuster for weeks straight.

Finally bought it off eBay sometime in my 20s and still have the cart. Although if one we play it again it will probably be with a difficulty hack.

On topic: port FF6 (non mobile) to switch you cowards! Or let Bravely Default team remaster it.

I got my cart in the early 2000's from Funcoland for like 20 bucks and managed to play it twice like that. Like so many SNES games it was lost to the ether after I loaned it to a friend in high school to whom I never spoke again once college started...

I imagine it was my first Final Fantasy, though I may have already played 1+2 on the GBA advance prior, I'm actually pretty sure I had. It's also my favorite FF and not a small reason to get the SNES Mini (Yoshi's Island was the main reason). Having played 6-9 again this summer, I do think it's the best one still with 7 being super close to it or just passing it depending on what you're talking about.

I love FF6 and that Kefka boss is an excellent fight with amazing music fully deserving of the best villain in the series.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dpulex posted:

I'm just saying i think lamefreak could make a game that isn't garbage trash if they gave a poo poo

You are not the target audience hth

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

psychoJ posted:

started playing Yuppie Psycho and it's very interesting so far. it's an adventure game with some survival horror elements. it's a pretty unsubtle satire on corporate office workplace culture where the corporate office workplace literally murders its workers. pretty cool so far

I'd say it's mostly survival horror once the gameplay and story get rolling. Took a while to grow on me, but I really like it and played through it multiple times on PC earlier in the month.

The dev dropped a big patch yesterday (should be on all platforms) that's supposed to pad out the middle of game with more bosses and areas among whatever else I didn't read the patch notes on. Gonna jump on it soon since once you got the checklist down it was only 2-3 hours to push through before this added content.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Dang, I wish I had that Funcoland 20 years ago. Mine always tried to get me to buy FF2 (4) for $60 because FF3 would be more expensive if they got it.

I think I'm about half way up the tower in Y's Origin and enjoying it a lot more as the abilities unlock. The lunge attack has some weird timing to trigger but the controls feel good otherwise. I'll have to finally play Y's VIII afterwards.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The time limit on Pikmin 3 is really annoying. There's no risk of actually starving here. What's effectively going on is you are making good progress and then have to stop and gather everybody and watch 5 minutes of cutscenes before starting again the next day. It would be much more fun to just continue the map you're on until you finished it. The time limit doesn't actually add anything to the game except in the literal time attack modes

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mostly the same doom and gloom that happens every time a game from an Atlus IP takes more than a month after the Japanese release to get a localization announcement. Specifically there was a financial report from Koei recently that didn't mention it when the last one did, so everyone's assuming it's been PERMANENTLY CANCELED and we're never going to see it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Nothing, it's still got a world release date of March 17 of next year, just 11 days before my birthday woo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Violet_Sky posted:

Were they magic rats?

All pets are magic :)

The time limit on Pikmin 3 is really annoying. There's no risk of actually starving here. What's effectively going on is you are making good progress and then have to stop and gather everybody and watch 5 minutes of cutscenes before starting again the next day. It would be much more fun to just continue the map you're on until you finished it. The time limit doesn't actually add anything to the game except in the literal time attack modes

Look, your little buddy buddies have to be in before dark or they get eaten by monsters and you need to sleep