Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

b_d posted:

NTHGTHDYGDCRTDTRK

ERAU QSSI DLRO WEHT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
old cheat codes ftw.

Do games even have cheat codes anymore?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GTAV has cheat codes but I can’t think of any game newer than that lol.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Astro7x posted:

You can trigger it with the Bowser Amiibo if you have it.

I don't.

It's not a huge deal I just worry an entire full length game with the same mechanic might wear out its welcome.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

American McGay posted:

old cheat codes ftw.

Do games even have cheat codes anymore?

No. Now you pay for anything the cheat codes might have done as DLC.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ogmius815 posted:

No. Now you pay for anything the cheat codes might have done as DLC.

Amiibos aren't dlc they're collectible figures :sad:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Amiibos aren't DLC exactly, but they sure as poo poo are micropurchases.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Micro?? Sounds like you haven't tried to get ahold of wolf link on ebay lately!

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Gyro with the hori pad 👀

Turok does what Nintendoesnt

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Rocket Pan posted:

Correct, with the PS4 currently.

It ain't out of cowardice. We can't find the source code for it at all, and thus if we were to do it we'd be looking at having to recreate the entire game.

Recreate an entire game that it's entirely possible only a dozen people played, it was great. You could be a swarm of bugs and just annihilate people armed with guns.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Gyro with the hori pad 👀

Turok does what Nintendoesnt

If that is possible why is it not implemented in every game? I would never use another controller but the split pad.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Maybe it's less accurate? If the controllers don't have gyros then it's relying entirely on the gyro in the tablet itself, and only has one point of reference instead of the usual three.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Oh hey this looks and runs good enough on switch will definitely pick this up
:yeah:

The most recent tony hawks I've played are 3 and Underground 1 on the gamecube and even though those were apparently both 60fps it's been long enough that I'm probably not gonna be like "ugh, it's less smooth compared to what I'm used to". So, as far as I'm concerned, it looks great.

I'll probably end up double dipping on PS5/PC in a few years anyway unless switch pro happens and it gets a resultant performance bump (or, possibly more likely, a new/expanded compilation title comes out and supplants this thing and eliminates any reason to buy it again)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I picked up Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition earlier today. My first Switch game. Played it with my cousin who is currently quarantining with me. Game is fun as hell, lol. I know nothing of Zelda lore or what the story is, but drat the co-op combat/missions are super addictive.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

loudog999 posted:

If that is possible why is it not implemented in every game? I would never use another controller but the split pad.

repiv posted:

Maybe it's less accurate? If the controllers don't have gyros then it's relying entirely on the gyro in the tablet itself, and only has one point of reference instead of the usual three.

Nah, it's a full gyro and accelerometer. I largely suspect it's because nobody knows it's actually there. When you use the normal joycons, their gyros are always assigned, however when you have none connected (or use something like the hori splitpad) you mysteriously have this one gyro that's visible but doesn't return anything, you actually need to enable the system gyro for it to operate. I only realised something was up when I took careful note of Nintendo's submission requirements which specifically mentioned the Nintendo Switch itself, so I started digging into the APIs and sure enough there was an option for a "no joycon" gyro. It's something I discovered and included back with Strife.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Picked up 3d World and spent the evening playing through it for the first time, up to World 3 now. It's pretty fun! Not quite as magical as Galaxy or Odyssey, but it's charming and I feel like I'll get my money's worth out of it!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Are counterfeit microSD cards still a thing on Amazon? I'd like to expand the storage on my Switch since I couldn't have Smash Bros and Hyrule Warriors installed at the same time, but I'm wary of what store/what I should look out for when buying.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'd steer clear of Amazon. Check out Best Buy and look for a good sale.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Rocket Pan posted:

Nah, it's a full gyro and accelerometer. I largely suspect it's because nobody knows it's actually there. When you use the normal joycons, their gyros are always assigned, however when you have none connected (or use something like the hori splitpad) you mysteriously have this one gyro that's visible but doesn't return anything, you actually need to enable the system gyro for it to operate. I only realised something was up when I took careful note of Nintendo's submission requirements which specifically mentioned the Nintendo Switch itself, so I started digging into the APIs and sure enough there was an option for a "no joycon" gyro. It's something I discovered and included back with Strife.

this is the good poo poo

thank you for your service

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Pablo Nergigante posted:

GTAV has cheat codes but I can’t think of any game newer than that lol.

Rockstar tucked them into Red Dead 2 also. Nier:Automata has a full game skip button command as well.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Oh yeah the way it was done in RDR2 was really good. I loved exploring in that game and finding a cabin in the deep woods with a message scrawled into the dresser drawer was a really cool feeling.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

American McGay posted:

Oh yeah the way it was done in RDR2 was really good. I loved exploring in that game and finding a cabin in the deep woods with a message scrawled into the dresser drawer was a really cool feeling.

Others were in the newspapers.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

teagone posted:

Are counterfeit microSD cards still a thing on Amazon? I'd like to expand the storage on my Switch since I couldn't have Smash Bros and Hyrule Warriors installed at the same time, but I'm wary of what store/what I should look out for when buying.

Yes they absolutely are. Only buy sandisk or samsung. Advice used to be make sure you were buying from Amazon direct and not third party sellers, but others say they mix the stock so they've still gotten duds, although personally I've not had any problems with the numerous sandisk cards I've bought. Don't bother with any of the official nintendo branded ones, and get a bigger one than you might think you need because space fills up fast. I just recently moved from my 200GB one to a 512GB one I got in a recent sale for ~€50.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wish the Bowser Fury just happened at predetermined points in the story. I've already beat it but it was honestly just annoying when I wanted to be doing something else in the game every five minutes this guy popping up.

I also hate getting randomly attacked by Yiga Clan, and the epic hero wraiths in Fenyx. Luckily for the latter you can at least get those to stop by finishing their lair

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Anybody picked up Ghosts N Goblins resurrection? Any buyer’s remorse?

$30 seems a bit steep but I loved the classics and the franchise.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Is it just me or 3D World is harder than most other marios? Maybe it's just because mario is so fast but I keep falling and miscalculating jumps.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

lunar detritus posted:

Is it just me or 3D World is harder than most other marios? Maybe it's just because mario is so fast but I keep falling and miscalculating jumps.

I’ve always struggled with controlling Mario’s jump in 3D space and being accurate at it. Jumping on a simple goomba can be maddening for me at times. I still loved Odyssey and 3D World though. Most of the platform jumps seemed to be “fair” and have plenty of room for forgiveness, at least until the late game stages and bonus world. I used Peach a lot and the cat suit.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Just found out about new Mario Golf and am very excited! Now I just need fzero to make its way to Switch and I'll be set

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cartoon Man posted:

I’ve always struggled with controlling Mario’s jump in 3D space and being accurate at it. Jumping on a simple goomba can be maddening for me at times. I still loved Odyssey and 3D World though. Most of the platform jumps seemed to be “fair” and have plenty of room for forgiveness, at least until the late game stages and bonus world. I used Peach a lot and the cat suit.

I focus on my shadow, for stomping enemies. And yeah, I'm using Peach for my first playthrough. That glide has saved me so much.

Edit: cross posting from the Minecraft thread...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Has anyone tried out the new DLC for Minecraft Dungeons? Am I understanding that they've now added stuff that makes it even more similar to Diablo?

It looks great, and I might finally pick up this game.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 25, 2021

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I took the opposite approach and played through the whole game as Toad. Can't miss a jump by as much if you can barely jump. :v:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

In Picross S1 any point, aside from e-credit, to play without assists?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Depends on how big a fan you are of only playing yourself

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

FYI the multiplayer is cross platform with PS4/5 as well. I had given up on this getting multiplayer at all.

Edit: beaten, by the source :) Rebought it on PS4 for good measure because I want to support Nightdive.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

100YrsofAttitude posted:

In Picross S1 any point, aside from e-credit, to play without assists?

You risk incurring this guy's wrath

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cartoon Man posted:

Anybody picked up Ghosts N Goblins resurrection? Any buyer’s remorse?

$30 seems a bit steep but I loved the classics and the franchise.

It's hard but fun. While I have been dying a lot I don't feel frustrated.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You risk incurring this guy's wrath

Cool. I wasn't sure if it'd unlock any extra puzzles or not. I don't care for the Roulette, but the highlighted "You can do something here" is very nice and is helping me better understand standard formations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Not knowing much about Pokemon, I can only assume that this makes perfect sense
https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1364920567514734593

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Cool. I wasn't sure if it'd unlock any extra puzzles or not. I don't care for the Roulette, but the highlighted "You can do something here" is very nice and is helping me better understand standard formations.
Highlight moves is great and pretty much only reduces the amount of time you have to spend hunting for valid moves. Letting go of the e-peen and leaving it on is the best decision I ever made with the Picross series. Roulette and showing wrong answers are cheating though, and get turned off immediately.

HOT PICROSS TAKES ITT

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Not knowing much about Pokemon, I can only assume that this makes perfect sense
https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1364920567514734593
It absolutely does not, which makes it much better.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't know what he's like or what his music is like, but Post Malone looks like what you'd get if you caught bathroom graffiti in a pokeball and then maybe evolved it once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
He's gonna sing it to a guy in a pikachu costume, obviously.