Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

elf help book posted:

Oh hell yeah Threads of Fate

That was my first playstation game. It was interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fitzy Fitz posted:

That was my first playstation game. It was interesting.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

As someone who has had a number of bouts of seasickness...he (or she?) isn't wrong.

...this is assuming context, of course.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/DailyBayonetta/status/1367117025391366147?s=20

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

This is true though? I'm sure there's a technical term for it, but whenever I have to throw-up, the pain prior, and the experience itself is awful, as expected, but my goodness do you feel like a million bucks afterwards. Like even with those horrible stomach flus that makes you expunge everything for 24 hours or so, even when I know I'll be throwing up 20 minutes later or something, I still feel great.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Morpheus posted:

As someone who has had a number of bouts of seasickness...he (or she?) isn't wrong.

...this is assuming context, of course.

Mint is a princess and she demands your respect.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Well I found my groove in Mario 3D World and ended up beating the main story. My opinion still stands that control is weird but I got used to it so whatever, it ended up being enjoyable.

I decided to take a break and try Shovel Knight again, and immediately ran into my most hated thing in modern games. Died, went back to retrieve my stuff, died again. Nothing takes the wind out of my sails like permanently losing currency in a game. Don't know why, it's probably easy to get back but I always feel so deflated when it happens, like why even bother now. Somehow this never bothered me in Hollow Knight

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I decided to take a break and try Shovel Knight again, and immediately ran into my most hated thing in modern games. Died, went back to retrieve my stuff, died again. Nothing takes the wind out of my sails like permanently losing currency in a game. Don't know why, it's probably easy to get back but I always feel so deflated when it happens, like why even bother now. Somehow this never bothered me in Hollow Knight

There was a mysterious time after Demon's Souls where a number of indie games put the Souls death currency loss mechanic in their games for no reason. Shovel Knight and Hollow Knight are both good examples of this. It doesn't matter much in either game but it's irritating and out of place in both.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

nrook posted:

There was a mysterious time after Demon's Souls where a number of indie games put the Souls death currency loss mechanic in their games for no reason. Shovel Knight and Hollow Knight are both good examples of this. It doesn't matter much in either game but it's irritating and out of place in both.

It's a shame. I remember trying the first Dark Souls long ago and didn't like it. I could eventually learn the combat, since repeatedly bashing my head against a wall to beat a section of a game is something I don't mind, but the psychological impact of "all my work is probably going to be taken away" just turned me off so hard. Probably the explanation behind why I fell in love with STALKER and am ok with Fallout mods that make combat less forgiving. I'm ok with restarting when I gently caress up but at least I don't have to claw my way back to where I was with only a knife or something

A couple years ago I ran into the same thing in Ghost 1.0, a neat little Metroidvania ruined by that mechanic. But I realized I could just hit the home button the instant I died and reload a save, had tons of fun and eventually beat it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can't permanently lose anything in DS other than the souls and humanity you have on you though, both of which are infinite.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

You can't permanently lose anything in DS other than the souls and humanity you have on you though, both of which are infinite.

It's more the grind. Like, I already collected stuff and now I have to do it again. Maybe it's just me getting older but I'm just now annoyed when games make me waste time doing things I've already done, even if it's my own fault

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Len posted:

Golden Sun is just okay at best and my irl friend group needs to get that poo poo off a pedestal because it isn't even the best jrpg on GBA
I think I've said this before: while it's true that Golden Sun is hardly the best JRPG on the GBA, the actual best (Final Fantasy VI) was the last game Nintendo published in the west, and came out so late that nobody bought it or cared.

So, yes, if you look at the GBA's library as a whole--say, to find something to emulate now--then you can certainly do better than Golden Sun. However, during the system's contemporary run, Golden Sun was a pretty OK title for it. For much of the GBA's active life the only other JRPGs on it were the Breath of Fire ports.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I think I've said this before: while it's true that Golden Sun is hardly the best JRPG on the GBA, the actual best (Final Fantasy VI) was the last game Nintendo published in the west, and came out so late that nobody bought it or cared.

So, yes, if you look at the GBA's library as a whole--say, to find something to emulate now--then you can certainly do better than Golden Sun. However, during the system's contemporary run, Golden Sun was a pretty OK title for it. For much of the GBA's active life the only other JRPGs on it were the Breath of Fire ports.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga!!!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've been playing Rayman Legends and it's a delight and also a pretty difficult platformer but it's also incredibly generous with saving your progress. Each level has 5-10 hidden items you need to unlock later levels, and also a currency item that if you collect enough of in each level you get medals for 100%. Since collecting the currency can be finicky and you often need 600 at the end of the level for the gold medal, it would be incredibly crushing if you had to do the entire level over again if you missed out on collecting a few in an earlier section. There are checkpoints after every section and all the stuff you've collected up to that point is saved.

That said, the grind certainly works for some games and I think it's ultimately different for each experience, but Rayman in particular is a lot more fun because of the way it's set up.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga!!!
That's more of a really good parody RPG. I have fond memories of it.

Also I don't count Pokémon here because, frankly, you play Pokémon because it's Pokémon, not some deep JRPG.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Mario & Luigi games are true JRPGs. Just because they don't have swords and anime hair and sometimes make jokes doesn't make it a side game or something.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Golden Sun battle mechanics makes the character Defend if the target of their Attack is killed. It makes battles go by about 1000% slower.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I don't think I've sighed audibly at a JRPG as often as Golden Sun. Still played them!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The Mario RPGs are some of the best JRPGs out there and it does the genre a disservice to not consider them as such

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Honestly the first M&L is the only one I would call a genuinely great game but regardless it's absolutely a full fledged JRPG

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

The Mario RPGs are some of the best JRPGs out there and it does the genre a disservice to not consider them as such

It's super wild to me that Super Mario RPG, uses Nintendo's biggest and well known characters and IP, and yet they are not allowed to bring it to other Nintendo platforms because another developer made the game and they don't care. That is my absolute favorite Mario game, I still really want it on the Switch.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I said come in! posted:

It's super wild to me that Super Mario RPG, uses Nintendo's biggest and well known characters and IP, and yet they are not allowed to bring it to other Nintendo platforms because another developer made the game and they don't care. That is my absolute favorite Mario game, I still really want it on the Switch.

It was on Wii and Wii U virtual consoles and on the SNES Classic

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

I said come in! posted:

It's super wild to me that they haven't made a direct/true successor to that game yet. (The paper mario and mario/luigi games are good, but nothing like seven stars imo)

It's my favorite mario game too.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Marx Headroom posted:

Golden Sun battle mechanics makes the character Defend if the target of their Attack is killed. It makes battles go by about 1000% slower.

i remember when jrpgs started directing attacks to a different enemy if the targeted one died. it was so frustrating in the first final fantasy. amazing that they'd still have something like that in 2001

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

It's super wild to me that they haven't made a direct/true successor to that game yet. (The paper mario and mario/luigi games are good, but nothing like seven stars imo)

I had saw rumors last year about a sequel, but I can't imagine it'll live up to any fans expectations, myself included.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

There was a leak that squenix is totally making one and super mario rpg will hit the switch once it's announced

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Honestly the first M&L is the only one I would call a genuinely great game but regardless it's absolutely a full fledged JRPG

Bowser’s Inside Story is of a similar quality, but otherwise yeah

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've gotten roasted numerous times for this, but I'm of the opinion that SMRPG aged like skim milk. I was never a fan of the 3d render turned sprite graphics at the time, and it's extra painful to look at now.

I'd be down with the often rumored sequel though, although knowing Nintendo it won't have an inch of the charm and unique character design that the original had.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Paper Mario vastly improved on Super Mario RPG's formula and I'm glad they never looked back

Paper Mario having later de-improved the formula is neither here nor there

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Thom P. Tiers posted:

what exactly would you want from this mythical SMRPG successor? literally the only thing that paper mario and m&l don't directly crib from it is having a more involved party system and peach as a party member. i mean i would also love that again but you don't need to make a "real" sequel to that game specifically to do that

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

American McGay posted:

The Mario & Luigi games are true JRPGs. Just because they don't have swords and anime hair and sometimes make jokes doesn't make it a side game or something.
I'm not seriously arguing that they're not JRPGs. However, because they are thematically playful and a bit self-aware, I think of the series differently than franchises that more closely follow JPRG tropes.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Numbers that go over 10 would be nice for one. Also the battles in Mario and Luigi suck they're just tedious

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

I said come in! posted:

It is for the Wii U VC and on the SNES classic. It will probably be released for the Switch eventually just based on that

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

KingSlime posted:

Numbers that go over 10 would be nice for one. Also the battles in Mario and Luigi suck they're just tedious
The entire point of the Mario RPG games is that every single number is magnitudes smaller than regular RPGs. An item that increases your attack by 1 becomes incredibly valuable. It adds a layer of meaningful strategy to everything.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The next Paper Mario should add an option in the settings to multiply all the combat numbers by 1000.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

American McGay posted:

The entire point of the Mario RPG games is that every single number is magnitudes smaller than regular RPGs. An item that increases your attack by 1 becomes incredibly valuable. It adds a layer of meaningful strategy to everything.

Right? That's one of the things I love about them, small numbers are good!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Number bloat honestly because a huge issue with the Mario and Luigi series. The Bros attacks kept getting more and more long and elaborate and dealing bigger and bigger damage numbers and to compensate boss HP was inflated so that the only reasonable way to beat them was to spam these lengthy moves over and over again which made fights feel like they dragged on. But also because of the huge damage multipliers the Bros attacks had, being even slightly overleveled or overequipped for a fight would create the opposite problem where the fight just ends after two Bros attacks and you don't even get to see what the boss can actually do.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Snake Maze posted:

The next Paper Mario should add an option in the settings to multiply all the combat numbers by 1000.

In the meantime, Disgaea 6 is increasing the level cap from 9999 to 99,999. :P

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Disgaea should go the other way and add an option to divide all numbers by 1000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

KingSlime posted:

spoken like someone who has not actually played any mario & luigi games

paper mario is the one with the small numbers