Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Not properly a Switch question (Wii U), but seems best place to ask:

In Windwaker HD, I'm at the very last step on this page https://www.zeldadungeon.net/the-wind-waker-walkthrough/dragon-roost-island/

However, jump and throw are both the same button, so I can't seem to jump across to the fallen statue without chucking the bomb flower first. Is there a way to re-bind it or something?

I guess this is kind of understandable if botw was your first 3d zelda but also: lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
There is no jump button in Wind Waker. If you run off the platform you will jump forward automatically.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I purchased the Capcom Arcade Stadium on a lark, it’s actually a pretty good collection, lots of nice games especially if you like shooters. Totally one of the best collections out there that doesn’t feel like highway robbery. Totally a good handheld gaming package .

Also holy poo poo Giga Wing is insane.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ExcessBLarg! posted:

For much of the GBA's active life the only other JRPGs on it were the Breath of Fire ports.

I always wondered if it'd be worth playing these. The character design/classes look neat but I don't know if I could deal with that old of a JRPG mechanically without a massive pull.

---

I'm enjoying the chill collectathon of AC: Rogue, and frankly if there's at least that to do I may get AC: 3. I like running over obstacles and finding objects off a mini-map.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I always wondered if it'd be worth playing these. The character design/classes look neat but I don't know if I could deal with that old of a JRPG mechanically without a massive pull.

I haven't played the first in ages, but I know the port of BoF2 had some QoL improvements like running. It was a really cool game at the time. I wish they'd port the 3rd and 4th.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Amppelix posted:

spoken like someone who has not actually played any mario & luigi games

paper mario is the one with the small numbers

No they were separate complaints, Mario and Luigi doesn't suffer from the small numbers but it does suffer from exhausting random battles that drag on for waaaay too long.

I beat Superstar saga and could never bring myself to play more than a few hours of the others. Although I'll agree that super Mario RPG has not aged that well, I replayed it a few years back and except for a few boss fights and badass tracks, mostly the maps/random battles aren't that fun or well designed.

In my mind super Mario RPG was a lot more interesting/engaging then it actually is. Probably because of the good music and fun visuals

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoyed every game in the M&L series including the battles which are apparently super long or something

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Including partners in time? Dang one and three are okay but I had zero patience for that one

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The only way a random battle in Mario and Luigi could last longer than two turns is if you really loving suck at timing

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

PiT has the only fight in the series that I'd call "long", and that's because they inflated the final boss' HP in localization.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well they doubled all the boss health for the US version of PiT for some reason but not the EU one so I dodged that bullet lol

E: oh maybe it was just the final boss rip

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

KingSlime posted:

I replayed it a few years back and except for a few boss fights and badass tracks, mostly the maps/random battles aren't that fun or well designed.

yeah, it's a JRPG

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Bleck posted:

yeah, it's a JRPG

Look man

Yeah I can't argue with this. Being into RPGs is incredibly stupid yet I keep playing them. Easily one of the worst ways to spend your waking time, especially when most of them don't even have very good plots to begin with!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Marx Headroom posted:

Golden Sun battle mechanics makes the character Defend if the target of their Attack is killed. It makes battles go by about 1000% slower.

People (accurately) rag on 7th Saga but at least the hosed up difficulty and grind the game required (in English? IIRC the Japanese version was ok) was due to a broken leveling system and not actual intended design.

I said come in! posted:

In the meantime, Disgaea 6 is increasing the level cap from 9999 to 99,999. :P

Disgaea 6's level cap is 99,999,999 :eng101:

Al-Saqr posted:

I purchased the Capcom Arcade Stadium on a lark, it’s actually a pretty good collection, lots of nice games especially if you like shooters. Totally one of the best collections out there that doesn’t feel like highway robbery. Totally a good handheld gaming package .

Giga Wing is awesome and reason enough to get that collection.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Now a well paced action rpg that marries grinding with tight battle mechanics? It's the perfect panacea to turn based games

Looking at you monster hunter and from software

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Scrap Dragon posted:

Bowser’s Inside Story is of a similar quality, but otherwise yeah

I played the remake last year and it's definitely not as good as the first. I've played every one except Partners in Time and they all have a bunch of bullshit that makes things annoying except for the first

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I love jrpgs and have a high tolerance for long boss fights and I turned partners in time off partway through the last boss and said "I beat this game" because it was just so boring. It's not only long, but it's not difficult or interesting in any way to keep you engaged for that excruciating hp bar.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah that was a problem for me too, it's not that battles are unbearably long it's just a boring rear end game from ground zero. This is why slightly lengthy and incredibly repetitive battles feel way worse than they actually are.

I liked running around in the world in the first Mario and Luigi game but the dungeons felt like giant misses to me. They didn't add any creative Mario or nintendo stuff, it's just a big mazes with tons of encounters from what I remember

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I love me some turned based shenanigans. I have more fun with those than action based games. Though they are fun too

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I played BOF1 and 2 on the Switch last year and they have some cool ideas but are pretty rough. I hear the GBA ports increase the XP/money you get which would definitely help but they don't fix the translations which are complete rear end

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I love me some turned based shenanigans. I have more fun with those than action based games. Though they are fun too

I like it too I think I'm just burned out because it's been my main go-to for so long. There's only so many ways you can mix up choosing menu options you know?

Smt games are an excellent example of devs who know how to keep turn-based battles fresh exciting and snappy

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
All of the Mario RPGs are great. Hell, I even enjoyed Sticker Star when I replayed it last year.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Breath of Fire 1's translation is fine for the Era. It was done by square (I think Woolsey, even) so it matched other rpgs at the time. Bof2 on the other hand was translated in house at Capcom and apparently nobody there actually spoke English because it's an infamous disaster of a translation.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I played BOF1 and 2 on the Switch last year and they have some cool ideas but are pretty rough. I hear the GBA ports increase the XP/money you get which would definitely help but they don't fix the translations which are complete rear end

Yeah that sounds not great.

I'll try the ports maybe... I'll see.

I'll probably tackle FF X/X2 this summer as planned.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

KingSlime posted:

Now a well paced action rpg that marries grinding with tight battle mechanics? It's the perfect panacea to turn based games

Looking at you monster hunter and from software

The World Ends With You is still the best for this. No random battles, fight enemies one at a time or in groups to raise drop and xp rates, change difficulties to change what enemies drop, freely adjust your level (your 'current' level is just the max you can set it as) to multiply drop rates, level up pins and evolve them in different ways, raise stats by eating then battling a bit, gently caress that game's mechanics were so good.

Edit: Oh and a stereotypical jrpg dour protagonist ('I don't care about anyone') who actually grows and matures throughout the game

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

so Anodyne 2 is really loving good huh.

There's roughly one game a year that I can't stop thinking about after I'm finished with it. I guess this is the one for 2021. I'll be listening to the OST for a looooooong time

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Dabir posted:

eh? in 3d Zelda you jump automatically by running off the edge of a platform

Welp, I feel silly. Too much BOTW lately!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

catgirlgenius posted:

There's roughly one game a year that I can't stop thinking about after I'm finished with it. I guess this is the one for 2021. I'll be listening to the OST for a looooooong time

I'll have to pick it up. Would it be worth replaying the first one? I hardly remember it, but I do recall enjoying it.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Morpheus posted:

The World Ends With You is still the best for this. No random battles, fight enemies one at a time or in groups to raise drop and xp rates, change difficulties to change what enemies drop, freely adjust your level (your 'current' level is just the max you can set it as) to multiply drop rates, level up pins and evolve them in different ways, raise stats by eating then battling a bit, gently caress that game's mechanics were so good.

Edit: Oh and a stereotypical jrpg dour protagonist ('I don't care about anyone') who actually grows and matures throughout the game

I’m very sore about the Switch port. Instead of making a control scheme that makes sense for controllers it just makes it worse by using a gyro-pointer. Handheld mode works better, but you’re covering the screen with your hand since chances are you don’t own or carry around a stylus that works with modern touchscreens

On top of that I can’t even skip straight to the new content, I’d have to play a worse version of the game I already played to death first.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I never actually beat M & L Dream Team because the final boss has one of those Dream Luigi sequences where you're denied access to all your items, and I was never good enough to avoid taking damage, so I gave up on it. It's a shame because the game was pretty good up to that point, though I do remember having a problem getting the game to register me blowing on the mic sometimes.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Legends of Localization did a fun overview of the BoF 2 translation. https://legendsoflocalization.com/breath-of-fire-ii-super-nes-localization-review/

Fascinating detail: remember the actually well-written scene near the beginning of the game, as the camera scrolls up a tall tower? That was in English in the original Japanese release with Japanese subtitles. So they had a better English speaker on hand for the initial Japanese writing than for the English translation.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I just bought a capacitive stylus when I bought the twewy port. A cheap but functional one is like five or ten bucks. Had the side effect of making Mario Maker 2 playable too.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Twelve by Pies posted:

I never actually beat M & L Dream Team because the final boss has one of those Dream Luigi sequences where you're denied access to all your items, and I was never good enough to avoid taking damage, so I gave up on it. It's a shame because the game was pretty good up to that point, though I do remember having a problem getting the game to register me blowing on the mic sometimes.

Dream Team is the worst of the series imo (haven’t played PiT though). I’d rank them SS > BIS > PJ >>>>> DT

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

paper jam is terrible, the only M&L game I never finished

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

catgirlgenius posted:

what the hell is up with these games?

I tried the first one and gave up pretty quickly when I had no idea what was going on. The second one looks nothing like the first!

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'll have to pick it up. Would it be worth replaying the first one? I hardly remember it, but I do recall enjoying it.

They are really mostly unrelated, with the exception of some structural/stylistic touches that call back to the first. It's more of an "oh, cute" kind of connection. It's really not necessary to go back to the first one.

You will almost certainly like it! It's basically a Majora's Mask that's all about saving people rather than saving the world, meaning, it's all about helping them weirdo NPCs (by shrinking down into their body cavities...)

Ramie fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 3, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Augus posted:

paper jam is terrible, the only M&L game I never finished

It's fine.

Anodyne 1 is good

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

i remember when jrpgs started directing attacks to a different enemy if the targeted one died. it was so frustrating in the first final fantasy. amazing that they'd still have something like that in 2001
I wish Ring Fit did this, let me finish my set :argh:

Al-Saqr posted:

Wish Mars Matrix was in there, it did the suck/reflect mechanic way better.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Giga Wing is awesome and reason enough to get that collection.
I looked at it as spending $15 for Progear and getting a bunch of others as a bonus.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Dream Team is the worst of the series imo (haven’t played PiT though). I’d rank them SS > BIS > PJ >>>>> DT

If you haven't played PiT I can see why you'd have that opinion, PiT is definitely the absolute worst though. Dream Team does have my favorite music from the M&L games, Somnom Woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUmmCDyB0EI

This song actually made me realize that the composer for Kingdom Hearts did the M&L games, because I thought it sounded exactly like something from Kingdom Hearts and looked it up and went "Oh that explains it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Twelve by Pies posted:

This song actually made me realize that the composer for Kingdom Hearts did the M&L games, because I thought it sounded exactly like something from Kingdom Hearts and looked it up and went "Oh that explains it!"

Yep, Yoko Shimomura! She also did the original Super Mario RPG and a bunch of PS1 Square games like Parasite Eve and Legend of Mana. She's a fantastic composer