Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

there was a GBA collection of Phantasy Star games as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

japtor posted:

I wish Ring Fit did this, let me finish my set :argh:

There's a setting in the options for that! You can specify whether you want to finish all sets or just asymmetrical ones. It only kills the targeted enemy though rather than switching to a different one.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

the best jrpg you could play on the GBA for years was the game boy color port of Dragon Warrior 3

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I always wondered if it'd be worth playing these. The character design/classes look neat but I don't know if I could deal with that old of a JRPG mechanically without a massive pull.
I played the GBA ports of both games over 15 years ago. I recall enjoying BoFII quite a bit despite the translation issues. The encounter rate is fairly high, but aside from that it was pretty solid. I'd probably play with a guide nearby and consult frequently if needed as the translation issues are enough that you might have some difficulty figuring out where to go, but otherwise it's not impossible to follow the plot or anything.

I don't know off hand exactly what QoL changes were made for the GBA version, but I probably would play the SNES ones on the NSO app if I were playing them today.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

am I too late to poo poo on Golden Sun, one of the worst-written RPGs of its era, and with probably the worst "puzzle" design on earth. Every puzzle was literally pushing or pulling a thing, right after you navigated a tedious loving maze dungeon of course. I'm continuously and eternally mystified how people who yearn for another one cannot remember how truly awful those games were---they've aged so bad.

The most underrated RPG on GBA though was the complete remake of Shining Force, which is baby's first Fire Emblem but still added a fuckload of new content/better translations/postgame poo poo. Barring that, probably Tactic Ogre: Knight Of Lodis, which is still one of my all-time favorites. I might actually like it a bit better than the FF Tactics games.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

am I too late to poo poo on Golden Sun, one of the worst-written RPGs of its era, and with probably the worst "puzzle" design on earth. Every puzzle was literally pushing or pulling a thing, right after you navigated a tedious loving maze dungeon of course. I'm continuously and eternally mystified how people who yearn for another one cannot remember how truly awful those games were---they've aged so bad.

The most underrated RPG on GBA though was the complete remake of Shining Force, which is baby's first Fire Emblem but still added a fuckload of new content/better translations/postgame poo poo. Barring that, probably Tactic Ogre: Knight Of Lodis, which is still one of my all-time favorites. I might actually like it a bit better than the FF Tactics games.

golden sun had good graphics and that's all people remember

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DLC Inc posted:

How ironic that the same dude is responsible for both Golden Sun and Shining Force https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroyuki_Takahashi_(game_producer)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hamsterlady posted:

Breath of Fire 1's translation is fine for the Era. It was done by square (I think Woolsey, even) so it matched other rpgs at the time. Bof2 on the other hand was translated in house at Capcom and apparently nobody there actually spoke English because it's an infamous disaster of a translation.

BoF2's translation looks like it was done using a prerelease version of Babelfish.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

xedo posted:

Legends of Localization did a fun overview of the BoF 2 translation. https://legendsoflocalization.com/breath-of-fire-ii-super-nes-localization-review/

Fascinating detail: remember the actually well-written scene near the beginning of the game, as the camera scrolls up a tall tower? That was in English in the original Japanese release with Japanese subtitles. So they had a better English speaker on hand for the initial Japanese writing than for the English translation.

This is neat, that intro always stood out in its mini novella quality versus the rest of the game. Ironically it felt shoehorned in by comparison.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

DLC Inc posted:

am I too late to poo poo on Golden Sun, one of the worst-written RPGs of its era

I know everyone has read those Golden Sun LPs multiple times and it's almost become cliche to reference them when talking about Golden Sun but god, Kraden. loving Kraden. A character who exists solely to repeat what was just said.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

How ironic that the same dude is responsible for both Golden Sun and Shining Force https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroyuki_Takahashi_(game_producer)

holy poo poo that is wild, what the gently caress happened.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I know everyone has read those Golden Sun LPs multiple times and it's almost become cliche to reference them when talking about Golden Sun but god, Kraden. loving Kraden. A character who exists solely to repeat what was just said.

I recently watched another retrospective from some KBash guy and holy poo poo, those dungeons. Those mazes.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

catgirlgenius posted:

so Anodyne 2 is really loving good huh.

There's roughly one game a year that I can't stop thinking about after I'm finished with it. I guess this is the one for 2021. I'll be listening to the OST for a looooooong time

Just wanted to boost this because I got this game yesterday and I can tell it’s going to stick with me for awhile. The 3d is super nostalgic of the old weird PS1 era of 3d games that you just don’t see anymore, and the 2d segments are great too. It’s like Psychonauts, Earthbound, FF7, and uh...a bunch of other weird games. I can’t recommend it for *everybody* but a quick glance at the 3d models should sell you on it.

People need to play this game Bc it’s definitely a future cult classic IMO. It’s weird in all the right ways.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dabir posted:

golden sun had good graphics and that's all people remember

It has character customization and puzzles and is better than all dragon warrior games

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

holy poo poo that is wild, what the gently caress happened.

My pet theory is that he used up all his good ideas for shining force, leaving only the bad ones for golden sun

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Looking into Golden Sun and Camelot, Wikipedia says that Waluigi was actually a Camelot creation and not a Nintendo-proper one. Could that be why he rarely ever shows up in stuff?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I have never engaged with the character customization in a golden sun game because just using the default classes for each character is enough to break the games in half

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

I have never engaged with the character customization in a golden sun game because just using the default classes for each character is enough to break the games in half

I didn't even know character customization was a thing in golden sun because the first game bored me out of my mind until I stopped caring (and eventually, playing) about 10% of the way through, after that I avoided the entire series like the plague

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Motto posted:

PiT has the only fight in the series that I'd call "long", and that's because they inflated the final boss' HP in localization.
almost every boss actually and some random other difficulty changes on top as well, generally making the entire game more unpleasant in the process.

but only in NA! the PAL version escaped the localisers' wrath for some reason and is identical to the original in terms of gameplay.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, Golden Sun has this whole thing where you can mix and match Djinn to get different 'classes'.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Len posted:

It has character customization and puzzles and is better than all dragon warrior games

the "customization" is literally using two specific djinn to break the game in half. The word puzzle denotes that perhaps some kind of cleverness or brainpower might be employed to solve a thing and the "puzzles" are all kindergarten level "push this here" tediums designed to simply pad out the dungeons that are already abominable. The game would have been better if they removed them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Dream Team was where the bloat really got ridiculous. Superstar Saga is a brisk trip but by Dream Team every part of the gameplay felt so long. Not helped by Bros. Attacks taking way longer than SS's versions to execute and they're your best forms of damage too. And comparing the Dr. Mario virus battles in SS and DT is a good example of how long random battles got as the series went on.

nrook posted:

There was a mysterious time after Demon's Souls where a number of indie games put the Souls death currency loss mechanic in their games for no reason. Shovel Knight and Hollow Knight are both good examples of this. It doesn't matter much in either game but it's irritating and out of place in both.

For Shovel Knight it was to give a penalty for dying in exchange for removing lives. Not a reason you have to agree with, but they did have one.

Amppelix posted:

almost every boss actually and some random other difficulty changes on top as well, generally making the entire game more unpleasant in the process.

but only in NA! the PAL version escaped the localisers' wrath for some reason and is identical to the original in terms of gameplay.

I think that's because NA PiT was forked off of an earlier version. The JP and PAL versions were released later and have some features that were missing from the NA version.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

DLC Inc posted:

the "customization" is literally using two specific djinn to break the game in half.

There’s plenty of real customization. The elements of the djinn a character has determines their class. Different combos can give them completely different stats and spells, with the added wrinkles that you have to share djinn between your entire party, and your class can dynamically change mid battle as djinn go on and off cooldown.

It’s true that the game never forces you to engage with this and it’s entirely possible to beat the game just giving everyone djinn of their element, but it’s there for people who want to mess with it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Goons is the Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon rerelease getting pulled at the end of the month along with the Mario collection? I could of swore it was a limited time release, but I'm not turning up anything when I searched around online for confirmation.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Augus posted:

I don't know anything about this (never played the game), but it reminds me of the opposite thing happening in Base Wars on the NES; any custom team you made would, by default, all have laser swords, and I don't know why. Like there was a store with a merchant interface and everything for buying weapons, which you normally had to do. Start up a custom team? Nevermind that poo poo, LASER STAB AND WIN!!

Likely a bug, but it was there nonetheless.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

OhFunny posted:

Goons is the Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon rerelease getting pulled at the end of the month along with the Mario collection? I could of swore it was a limited time release, but I'm not turning up anything when I searched around online for confirmation.

yes it is a limited release

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
So I haven't owned a modern console in 20 years and I'm trying to get my bearings here.

Is it still the case that the big blockbuster AAA titles don't come out on Nintendo consoles or if they do they're stripped down to work on the hardware? It seems like something changed.

E: it's also cool but strange how a DS4 works flawlessly on a switch. Like it feels weird.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

So I haven't owned a modern console in 20 years and I'm trying to get my bearings here.

Is it still the case that the big blockbuster AAA titles don't come out on Nintendo consoles or if they do they're stripped down to work on the hardware? It seems like something changed.
Yeah, most third party AAA titles don't come out on the Switch. Some do, like Doom 2016/Doom Eternal and The Witcher 3, though like you said, they run slower/at a lower resolution because of the hardware.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

thats still true yes. there's a new wrinkle in that they may also try to charge you full price to attempt to stream those titles to your switch over wifi. i would compare and contrast footage of like ps5/pc fortnite to the switch version in terms of what they might try to do to make those big games work

Weedle
May 31, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

yes, nintendo has been out of step with sony and microsoft since the 360/ps3/wii days. they've effectively lagged a generation behind in terms of the raw power of their consoles and the switch is basically a souped-up xbox 360 crammed into a kindle fire. some AAA ps4/xbone games like the witcher 3, alien isolation, and the new dooms have been succesfully ported to switch but those are the exception rather than the rule. mostly it's first-party nintendo games, indies, and ports of seventh-gen games

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Golden Sun doesn't have puzzles, CrossCode has puzzles.

Whatever Golden Sun has, all of it put together would demand less from you mentally than the act of counting backwards from 100 :v:

while we are doing hot takes, it would be nice to have a port of the original Dragon Quest Monsters, seeing how it's better than every Pokemon game post-XY. If Shadow Dragon found any measure of success, DQM probably would too

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

catgirlgenius posted:

Golden Sun doesn't have puzzles, CrossCode has puzzles.

Whatever Golden Sun has, all of it put together would demand less from you mentally than the act of counting backwards from 100 :v:

while we are doing hot takes, it would be nice to have a port of the original Dragon Quest Monsters, seeing how it's better than every Pokemon game post-XY. If Shadow Dragon found any measure of success, DQM probably would too

I wouldn't think it's a hot take to say golden sun is just okay, but the 30 year old alcoholic flipped his loving gourd.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Golden Sun does sound like the name of a low-shelf liquor.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
There was a 3ds remake of the OG DQM but it was only released in Japan.

Thankfully I have an English patch on my homebrewed 3DS, haven't had a chance to play it yet but I'm pretty excited. I'll get to the eventually when I can stomach more turn based stuff, taking a t break for now

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The people who like Golden Sun are the people who haven’t replayed Golden Sun.

Holy poo poo that long talky intro.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mega64 posted:

The people who like Golden Sun are the people who haven’t replayed Golden Sun.

I mean I can't hold a long talky intro against a game, I've played Persona 4

But Golden Sun never gets better from every time I've tried to replay it

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mega64 posted:

My one fond memory of the game is that it gives you arbitrary Yes/No choices where your decision very blatantly doesn't matter.

And that in the one I played there was like 20 minutes of stuff before the title screen, including a part where the town elder asks if you're ready to take responsibility for the situation you've caused.
No.
Are you certain? These bad events are your doing.
Not gonna take responsibility.
You really won't? That sounds like a childish and cowardly thing to do. Are you sure you don't want to own up to your actions?
I do not.
Well, okay then... - GAME OVER -

Gave me a start 'cause I hadn't been able to save up to that point.

Fortunately then they rewound history and asked me the yes/no questions again.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Guys I hear golden sun was not good?
Who knew?
Everyone

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if nothing else it makes a good argument for more unorthodox/fantastical names in rpg's

hard to take an an evil wizard seriously if he's named alex

not even alexander! can't even inject that little extra bit of grandeur in there

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Hammer Bro. posted:

My one fond memory of the game is that it gives you arbitrary Yes/No choices where your decision very blatantly doesn't matter.

And that in the one I played there was like 20 minutes of stuff before the title screen, including a part where the town elder asks if you're ready to take responsibility for the situation you've caused.
No.
Are you certain? These bad events are your doing.
Not gonna take responsibility.
You really won't? That sounds like a childish and cowardly thing to do. Are you sure you don't want to own up to your actions?
I do not.
Well, okay then... - GAME OVER -

Gave me a start 'cause I hadn't been able to save up to that point.

Fortunately then they rewound history and asked me the yes/no questions again.

Super Paper Mario has this, without the rewinding history part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Got dead cells, this is fun