Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

Imagine you have a laptop with an external GPU. Now suddenly unplug the GPU enclosure.

gently caress, my bitcoins!

Can't wait to mine dogecoin on my switch pro using a third-party power brick and burn down my whole building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Al-Saqr posted:

LOL are nintendo actually going to release a switch model that doesn’t offer any significant power boost but it’s only features are a different screen and can output 4K?!
I don't think anyone knows anything about the internals yet. This leak is related to the production of a 7" 720p rigid OLED display.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

This is the only thing resembling a hint at (mostly a lack of) changes to internals. It could also, like a lot data mining related things, be nothing.

https://twitter.com/OatmealDome/status/1367309745158320128?s=19

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
someone please tell me more about the switch pro

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

After having both the SNES30 and SF30 Pro controllers for quite a while now, I just got an 8bitdo SNES30 Pro+ and holy gently caress, that is the most comfortable controller I've ever used. :stare:

It's perfect. I haven't spent much time with the official Nintendo Pro controller, so that one might feel better but the dpad on this one is :discourse:

Plus, it's compatible with quite literally everything that accepts Bluetooth, right out of the box. Firmware is all updated, and I haven't used the customization app for it but at least it's there.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 4, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

How does the Hori split pad compare to the Satisfye grip? Does it fit in the hand better? I recently realized that the grip is still more narrow than I'd like.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Bleck posted:

someone please tell me more about the switch pro

Its going to largely be a hardware revision with a new screen and replace the standard $300 model with only minimal improvements: largely to battery life and some nice QoL resolution changes while docked.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

kidfresca posted:

This is the only thing resembling a hint at (mostly a lack of) changes to internals. It could also, like a lot data mining related things, be nothing.

Switch Journeyman

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

New Switch adds nothing worth having and is for adults with more money than sense. A misstep.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Relevant Tangent posted:

New Switch adds nothing worth having and is for adults with more money than sense. A misstep.

I've already preordered two.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Darth TNT posted:

Luigi's Mansion is such a friggin' delight to play.
My son and I cleaned the gym level yesterday. First the stupid jokes throughout the gym were fantastic. Exercising ghosts, fountains that spray in Luigi's face causing him to cough and splutter, shower scenes and some puzzles that made me feel smart. It's great.
Then I was all set to hate the end boss since he was in the water. I fully expected another miserable experience like the sewer. But the game threw me a curve ball and he was a hoot.
Someone here called the game cheeky. That really is the best description for this.

I have high hopes for the disco floor. :allears:

Luigi's Mansion 3 was 85% wonderful but man that remaining 15% was insufferable.

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS

Relevant Tangent posted:

Hey that’s me!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It seems okay if it's just a hardware refresh for the normal Switch at the same price point and not a more expensive SKU on top of the default Switch. Otherwise, weird move.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Zurtilik posted:

Its going to largely be a hardware revision with a new screen and replace the standard $300 model with only minimal improvements: largely to battery life and some nice QoL resolution changes while docked.

more. I need more information

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I say that as someone who bought a Wii-U

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Bleck posted:

They probably won't fix the joycons still.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bleck posted:

It's going to be the exact opposite of everything that guy just said.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Relevant Tangent posted:

I mean as described it sounds more like the red box update, which was just a quiet change you could easily have missed if you weren't following the news. The only reason anyone's calling it a switch pro is because the internet has spent the last 5 years asking when the switch pro would come out.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Bleck posted:

It's joycons will drift faster than ever! You can set them to Performance or Quality Drifting.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

If it is just a bigger screen and 4K output that is rubbish. I have no problems with the screen as it is

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

xedo posted:

Legends of Localization did a fun overview of the BoF 2 translation. https://legendsoflocalization.com/breath-of-fire-ii-super-nes-localization-review/

Fascinating detail: remember the actually well-written scene near the beginning of the game, as the camera scrolls up a tall tower? That was in English in the original Japanese release with Japanese subtitles. So they had a better English speaker on hand for the initial Japanese writing than for the English translation.

Reading through this now and seeing a lot of things my 10-year-old mind glossed over at the time. Like, "equip lod" for the fishing rod. Of course it means equip rod. Kids can overlook so much.

e: why is the pig enemy called a bear? Who cares! It's a W.Bear. Kill it!
e2: lol @ "owljornan" instead of "algernon"

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 4, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Snake Maze posted:

the internet has spent the last 5 years asking when the switch pro would come out.

2021 - 5 = 2016

:raise:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

kidfresca posted:

'people familiar with the matter say' lmao

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Mister Facetious posted:

2021 - 5 = 2016

:raise:

There were people back at launch saying they would wait for the inevitable Switch Pro.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Honestly the battery life on my launch Switch has been getting rough at times & I'm a jerk with more money than sense so heck, I'll be buying that new model.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Uhh... what would even be the point of 4K output if it's using the same CPU/GPU/RAM?

Playing games at 4K 10fps?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Stewing in anger as I look back and forth between my 401K statement and my amiibos

I have a bunch (like 8) Amiibos from LOZ and I cannot afford food anymore.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Foul Fowl posted:

'people familiar with the matter say' lmao

Takashi is a serious journalist. When he says "people familiar with the matter" he is talking about his sources at production facilities. His primary beat is basically tech contracting deals.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Use that NFC trick and put all your Amiibos on paper proxies.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

D1E posted:

Uhh... what would even be the point of 4K output if it's using the same CPU/GPU/RAM?

Playing games at 4K 10fps?

Pretty much just sharper HUDs and menus

They can do the same thing the lower end "4K" Xboxes and Playstations do where they render the game at a reasonable resolution, upscale it to 4K, then composite native 4K 2D elements on top

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

D1E posted:

I don't actually expect them to fix it, but they could do a 9x full-vertical scale of the NES/SNES games instead of the letterboxed scaling that's done right now.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Well at least like this I’ve saved 300 dollars if the only think nintendo will offer with a new switch is a better resolution to see how choppy Zelda age of calamity can get.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They likely will clock the gpu/cpu higher. They've made up the power differential with a lower power screen already and might have room for better cooling because of the larger form factor.

Breath of the wild can run 60 and Age of Calamity solid 30, and other games go from 30 to 60 or unlocked 60 to locked 60 already on Switch with simple homebrew mods that overclock the cpu a little bit. It really does not take much.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
If they hadn't of skimped on battery quality they could of easily raised the clockspeed

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I have no real interest in Pyra/Mythra but I watched the Smash thing because I had a chance and it was pretty good. Sakurai is such a loving cool dude. Hopefully he doesn't get burnt out and can keep making the stuff he wants to make for a long long time.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I forgot about the Smash thing this morning but now I'm seeing there's gonna be MoHun mii fighter costumes and it really surprises me it's not getting a proper tie in character with Rise dropping this month.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oxyclean posted:

I forgot about the Smash thing this morning but now I'm seeing there's gonna be MoHun mii fighter costumes and it really surprises me it's not getting a proper tie in character with Rise dropping this month.

Making a MonHun character would have been much easier if they took the Byleth framework and made an interesting character insted.

My hope is that we get a beefy Palico Chef instead. Make one of the skins the weird design from the godawful live-action movie.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm not a monhun guy but whenever I would bring up "monhun guy" as a possible DLC character my monhun friends would inform me that there's not actually a monhun guy and it's more like a self-insert main character, which wouldn't exactly work very well as an iconic Smash character.

Also yeah, Byleth feels like maybe they were toying around with the idea and then switched gears.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

American McGay posted:

I'm not a monhun guy but whenever I would bring up "monhun guy" as a possible DLC character my monhun friends would inform me that there's not actually a monhun guy and it's more like a self-insert main character, which wouldn't exactly work very well as an iconic Smash character.

Also yeah, Byleth feels like maybe they were toying around with the idea and then switched gears.

Yeah, no main character but you could just make 4 male, 4 female models with a decent variety of armor sets. Someone is gonna be mad that their neon green haired OC with ultra-rare armor isn't possible but who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

American McGay posted:

Apparently capcom feels the same way. They didn't like there being a 'Monster Hunter' in mvc and the prevailing theory/leak is that capcom turned down a monhun guy for smash bro and suggested a rathalos boss.