Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

I've sprayed EVERYTHING...
Even my posts!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

1. You're thinking of the Capcom arcade collection, not Konami
2. Pac-Man is Namco, also not Konami

drat it, this is why I shouldn't post (from my phone).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

I just started Monster Hunter Rise and oh my goodness I have choice paralysis for what weapon to use. I only played a bit of 3U so Iím basically starting fresh and there are so many options.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Zeeman posted:

I just started Monster Hunter Rise and oh my goodness I have choice paralysis for what weapon to use. I only played a bit of 3U so Iím basically starting fresh and there are so many options.

As a fellow noobie Iíve found itís pretty easy to switch around. You donít have to invest much into a weapon to get it in a usable place, at least for the earlier hunts. Watch one of the ďhere are the basics of every weaponĒ video and you should be good. Iíve been mostly using the hammer but dabbling in lance, switch axe, and both of the bow guns.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zeeman posted:

I just started Monster Hunter Rise and oh my goodness I have choice paralysis for what weapon to use. I only played a bit of 3U so I’m basically starting fresh and there are so many options.

Try them all out and see what appeals to you! The Training Area, accessible from the Buddy Plaza, is made for that. Every weapon is quite different and feels very different to play. You have the big damage numbers in Hammer and Great Sword, you have the human blender that is Dual Blades, or maybe you want to style on monsters with Insect Glaive or Long Sword, just to name a few. You might find one that clicks, and that's great! Then later on, if you start getting bored of one weapon, you can pick up another, and it's like playing a whole different game!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I wouldnít worry much about weapons.

Thereís thirteen wrong choices and one correct choice.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Hammer is the best weapon for dummies like me because it's easy. I don't have to memorize weird flowcharts or remember how much ammo I have or what songs to doot or what an essence is. You just walk up and smash the enemy's skull. It's great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Should I get the 8BitDo Pro 2 even though I have the SN30 Pro+ already? It looks pretty samey, but I do like that toggle for the Switch (the only thing I'll be using it for).

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp

Gun Saliva

I'm tempted to get a Pro 2 just to use for all my random PC/Android TV/Switch uses, but I'm kinda eh on it if I can't turn on the Switch with it.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Thee was the discussion about roguelikes a few pages back and it got me searching. Ended up grabbing Rogue Legacy and it's definitely moreish enough. No idea how many generations I am up to today but got to level 100. Enjoyable if kinda limited. None of the magic users really work for my style but that's OK. Main annoyance is the frequency of impossible fairy chest rooms. 'kill all these enemies' except no I don't have the weapon to do that so... why not generate me something I can beat.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RowboatMan: Freezing time is an old P.I. trick...

Pac Man 99 is all set to go, just waiting for it to finish downloading

Edit: I am unimpressed. Bring back Mario 35.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 8, 2021

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah I wouldnít worry much about weapons.

Thereís thirteen wrong choices and one correct choice.

There are definitely some weapons that are easier than others, but I havenít touched half the weapons so I wouldnít really know. The bow and bow guns use different control configurations and you have to manage ammo, so that might add to the learning curve. Probably best to start with something mobile and simple like the Dual Blades or Hammer.

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Pac-Man 99 would be 10x better with just one tweak: the enemy pac man ghosts should be medium grey instead of blinding white!! They're a medium-priority enemyótouching them just slows you down a little bit óbut since they're white on black, theyre the highest-contrast thing in the entire game, which makes the ghosts too hard to spot!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

sounds like they want you to buy one of the overly busy skins to fix that

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!

Fallen Rib

Twelve by Pies posted:

Hammer is the best weapon for dummies like me because it's easy. I don't have to memorize weird flowcharts or remember how much ammo I have or what songs to doot or what an essence is. You just walk up and smash the enemy's skull. It's great.

Ammo is easy though you just shoot it

ThatWhiteGuy
Feb 15, 2008

I might just be an idiot young person, but I have never understood of the appeal of Pac-Man. Every time I have ever tried to play it I get bored within 10 minutes, whereas I can sink an entire day into something like Tetris without even noticing the time going by. To me itís one of the most overrated games ever, but I also have no nostalgia for it so I understand that people who grew up with it would love it. I like plenty of dumb games that I played as a kid that are objectively bad, so I would never judge.

That being said Iím fully expecting to try 99 and play it exactly once.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007
this time with feeling

A couple of quick reviews, don't remember seeing these ones mentioned:

PHOGS!

Only played the demo so far

2 player (or 1p2c) coop game where you play as two ends of a sausage dog. You can bark, you can do 4 emotes, and you can stretch your sausage body very long. Which end poops? It depends! Some puzzles involve becoming a water hose by biting a faucet with one head and barfing water out the other.

You can also eat giant popcorns and steal pizzas.

It's like a more constrained, more adorable version of Human Fall Flat. Spouse and I laughed all the way through the demo. I could see this being a great choice for kids. Chill, easy and fun.

Thief Simulator

Picked it up for $2.50 and we're so happy we did. It's exactly the kind of janky bullshit that I had hoped for, and so much more. It's like someone really earnestly wanted to make a simulation of being a burglar, and had a lot of bright ideas, but just didn't have the chops to pull it all together.

Drive around in your hatchback, creep on households to learn their patterns, steal valuables like pots and pans and vases! Spend 2 minutes opening and closing your car door because you can't figure out the interface! Don't sell all the loot though---save some for your swanky thief hideout. Yes, as it ends up you can decorate your home!

I'm still learning more as I go. Just unlocked agility lvl 1, which allows me to throw bricks! Can't wait.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Zeeman posted:

I feel you. In world I went from long sword to switch axe to insect glaive. My path in rise so far has been charge blade, light bowgun, and gunlance. Those last two are like easy mode compared to charge blade.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I might just be an idiot young person, but I have never understood of the appeal of Pac-Man. Every time I have ever tried to play it I get bored within 10 minutes, whereas I can sink an entire day into something like Tetris without even noticing the time going by. To me itís one of the most overrated games ever, but I also have no nostalgia for it so I understand that people who grew up with it would love it. I like plenty of dumb games that I played as a kid that are objectively bad, so I would never judge.

That being said Iím fully expecting to try 99 and play it exactly once.

It really feels good outsmarting those ghosts. The AI on them is impressive for 1980.

A lot of people like it that werenít even alive when it came out, like me. Itís actually possible to like an old game without having ďnostalgiaĒ for it, believe it or not.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Pacman was before I was born but I'm still nostalgic for it because I had the weird-shaped unlicensed Pac Man cartridge for NES. Don't tell Nintendo.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I havenít tried in handheld mode yet but the Pro Controller d-pad works like poo poo for PAC-Man.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

jabro posted:

the Pro Controller d-pad works like poo poo

for many things

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

jabro posted:

I havenít tried in handheld mode yet but the Pro Controller d-pad works like poo poo for PAC-Man.

you can use the left analog stick instead and that should have been the default imo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

you can use the left analog stick instead and that should have been the default imo

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Rageaholic posted:

Should I get the 8BitDo Pro 2 even though I have the SN30 Pro+ already? It looks pretty samey, but I do like that toggle for the Switch (the only thing I'll be using it for).

I have a Pro+ myself and I want one for the back paddles. I want to set Monster Hunter wirebug moves to them.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Those themes are cool but yeah I can play game after game of Tetris 99. This one is boring after a couple.

Someone suggested Monster Hunter 99 letís just do that.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Wario Ware 99. do it

The Maroon Hawk
May 9, 2008

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

I, too, am bad at games

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

hatty posted:

Wario Ware 99. do it

I would pay a princely sum if it was real and had at least 100 games on release.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

oh you can just use the snes controller for pac-man 99, well i'ma just do that then.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Played a few rounds of Pac-Man 99 and yeah, not really impressed.

The strengths of Tetris 99 and Mario 35 were that they were really simple and easy to understand, you make lines and that puts blocks on other players' screens, or you defeat enemies and that puts them on other players' screens. In Pac-Man 99 you uh...eat ghosts...and those make the white ghost Pac-Men on someone else's screen, I guess? It's not as easy to immediately understand what you're doing and how that affects other players.

The options aren't as self-explanatory either. Mario 35 was simple: most coins, lowest time, targeting, random. You immediately knew who you were sending enemies to. With Pac-Man 99, what's Hunter? What's Knockout? Those aren't really as immediately understandable. Plus I'm not sure what the other four options do: Speed, Stronger, Train and Standard. It sort of sounds like Speed might make you faster, but it didn't seem like I was going faster when I chose it, and even if that's what it means what do Stronger and Train mean?

On top of that, there's only the one maze, and that's it. Nothing new, nothing different, and no real changes to the board itself. Sure, you played 1-1 and 1-2 90% of the time in Mario 35 but there were other levels and you even got to play them sometimes, not to mention that the enemies people send you could result in a 1-1 with ten Lakitus flying around and a couple of Bowsers.

I dunno. I can't imagine I'll play this much, and it doesn't seem like it has much staying power unless you just really love Pac-Man.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Did I predict the future?

Grimey Drawer

Oh god, I thought this Pac Man 99 stuff was a joke, but now it's there, infesting my Switch

Edit:

What's next, Pong 99?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Libluini posted:

What's next, Pong 99?

You ever play Warlords? It's four player versus Breakout/Pong and it loving owns.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RowboatMan: Freezing time is an old P.I. trick...

Libluini posted:

Oh god, I thought this Pac Man 99 stuff was a joke, but now it's there, infesting my Switch

Edit:

What's next, Pong 99?

Outside of April Fools, the official Nintendo Twitter doesn't tend to joke about game releases.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

hatty posted:

Wario Ware 99. do it

Oh poo poo this would be amazing.

ThatWhiteGuy
Feb 15, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

A lot of people like it that werenít even alive when it came out, like me. Itís actually possible to like an old game without having ďnostalgiaĒ for it, believe it or not.

Thatís not what I was implying at all. I collect and enjoy retro games that were released before I was born, I understand that nostalgia is not required to like an old game (or movie or book or anything). But I do not understand why anyone likes Pac-Man, itís just not fun or interesting to me. I wish it was so I could be part of the fun

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Thatís not what I was implying at all. I collect and enjoy retro games that were released before I was born, I understand that nostalgia is not required to like an old game (or movie or book or anything). But I do not understand why anyone likes Pac-Man, itís just not fun or interesting to me. I wish it was so I could be part of the fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPzVlTgZoCg

Dr. Shithead
Jun 27, 2008

You got your rhythm goin' now?

I was full ready to poo poo on this after that nasty rear end pizza but 5 min in and the wayyy too long diatribe about all the quotes saying some game has come along way since pac man and Iím loosing it. Thanks OP.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

STOP IT

STOP ALL THIS
NONSENSE

How the gently caress do you clean the joysticks on the joycons? I disassembled the whole thing and apparently the joysticks are monolithic components? All I want is to clean under the rubber mantle where the stick meets the base. Literally never had such an issue with any other device game controller or otherwise.

RillAkBea
Oct 10, 2008

MonHun talk, I've pretty much whittled my choices down to Long Sword/Light Bowgun. I had some real trouble with the long sword at first because it's kinda awkward to position but once you get the hang of it, it has some really neat moves. Being able to drop into a defensive stance with the wirebug and tank a charge is just fantastic if you nail the timing.

Really though, I've been spending almost as much time just exploring the areas as hunting mons. I hope we get some more added later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Turnbeug
Mar 21, 2018

I tried to pick up Rise for the first time at 11pm after a full day of tedious bullshit. Awful timing on my part. Game throws quite a bit at you. Keen to pick it up tomorrow thouhh