Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Resi4 is one of those 11/10 games I will keep buying forever

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Barudak posted:

(except Gaiden)

:staredog:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oscar Wild posted:

Good news: it will have gyro controls

Bad news: its tank gyro

This is fine. There's a control scheme for the Steam controller that plays this game like a dream, even though it has tank controls.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

I'm interested in getting something like 7 Days to Die/The Forest/Subnautica on the Switch but I'm not seeing much - just Minecraft (already own it), Portal Knights (already have on PC) and something called Radiation Island, which looks janky as hell but is the exact type of game I'm looking for and it somehow has mostly positive reviews on Steam.

I searched the eStore but didn't notice anything else in that vein - is that all there is?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is fine. There's a control scheme for the Steam controller that plays this game like a dream, even though it has tank controls.

The only tank game I've ever completed was the first silent hill, and that was only because I ran past everything. My mind doesn't work that way spatially.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pointer controls aside, the recent version of the game (on Steam) has made the Wii version no longer the definitive one.

The pointer controls are why it's so good though

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Andrast posted:

The pointer controls are why it's so good though

With a mouse (or gyro controls), the PC version beats the Wii version, in that it's HD and is just better all-around. Has all the content, too.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

With a mouse (or gyro controls), the PC version beats the Wii version, in that it's HD and is just better all-around. Has all the content, too.

The mouse controls are way way way too precise for RE4

The pointer controls are already kind of too good but a mouse goes way overboard.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Totes gonna buy Resident Evil 4 for like the 5th time. Mercinaries and :350:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You know I normally come rumbling, stumbling out the gate with hot takes but I cant do it for Resi because I love an objectively poo poo game* in the franchise and still want a double Leon team up adventure.

*Seriously play like 30 seconds of Gaiden and tell me its good

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

None of the REmakes play like 4, correct?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah may have to buy RE4 again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spacebump posted:

None of the REmakes play like 4, correct?

Correct

RE2 Remake does look like it controls/plays more like 4, but appears to be less action orientated and more horror and also doesnt come out until February.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

If any of you parents get this, mind posting here letting us/me know how it is? My son is nuts for Paw Patrol, and while I'm sure he'd love it regardless, it might be utter garbage.

EDIT: Oh... wow, nevermind!

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/10/24/paw-patrol-on-a-roll-review/
Jesus, I mean I know an adult is unlike to enjoy it, and I image kids will love it, but I can't believe that there seemingly has been zero QA or thought put into how to make it multi-platform.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

"It doesn’t recognise a controller, but hilariously, maps the buttons to A, B, X and Y on your keyboard. You know, because an Xbox controller has A, B, X and Y buttons."

holy gently caress this is some valusoft level poo poo

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I'm looking for a wireless game controller that works with both the switch and nvidia shield android TV box. Something that doesn't require a third party USB adapter and can connect to both easily.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

r0ck0 posted:

I'm looking for a wireless game controller that works with both the switch and nvidia shield android TV box. Something that doesn't require a third party USB adapter and can connect to both easily.

Anything from 8bitdo should do. The SN30Pro easily syncs with the switch or with an Android, PS4, or PC(or 360) device.

Just hold a different button while pressing start. Not sure if iOS compatible

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
How does Dark Souls online component work with putting the system to sleep/going to the home screen? If I sleep the system will the game reconnect automatically next time I play it?

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
In my experience it kicks me back to the title screen to reconnect.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Save Me Mr Tako (described as a "kirbyvania") which is a cool game boy aesthetic Zelda 2 style game where you play as an octopus, is on sale if you buy it before it comes out next week.
Curious how a game with this particular aesthetic is 786 MB.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Curious how a game with this particular aesthetic is 786 MB.

uncompressed music/audio, probably.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

How does Dark Souls online component work with putting the system to sleep/going to the home screen? If I sleep the system will the game reconnect automatically next time I play it?

Like all other versions it saves and kicks you back to the title screen.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Bruteman posted:

I'm interested in getting something like 7 Days to Die/The Forest/Subnautica on the Switch but I'm not seeing much - just Minecraft (already own it), Portal Knights (already have on PC) and something called Radiation Island, which looks janky as hell but is the exact type of game I'm looking for and it somehow has mostly positive reviews on Steam.

I searched the eStore but didn't notice anything else in that vein - is that all there is?

Can’t help you much but I know radiation island started as an iOS game so that may temper your interest.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Oh hell yeah!!!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

uncompressed music/audio, probably.

Not saying you're wrong, but why would it be uncompressed?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Not saying you're wrong, but why would it be uncompressed?
because no one cares about space anymore

see: games releasing these days with like 100GB of uncompressed audio and textures

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Because the things that the computer can be doing other than decompressing the audio is sometimes, rightly or not, considered more valuable.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So in The World Ends With You Final Remix, they kept a bunch of stuff from the ios/android port.

Including making the amazing 4-pin set 'irregular note' useless because you cannot manually move the pins around onscreen anymore, you have to just hope they bounce into position.

I just found out today when I wondered why I could not move the pins onscreen.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 26, 2018

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got Mr. Tako, the real Octopath Traveler

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Heath posted:

I got Mr. Tako, the real Octopath Traveler

Man, that sounds like a much more delicious game. Dunno exactly why though...

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I wanna play Diablo on my Switch

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Lemming posted:

I wanna gonna play Diablo on my Switch

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oscar Wild posted:

Good news: it will have gyro controls

Bad news: its tank gyro
Non-tank controls would literally break RE4, the game is incredibly tightly designed around its controls.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Lemming posted:

I wanna play Diablo on my Switch NOW

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Yes

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Bongo Bill posted:

Because the things that the computer can be doing other than decompressing the audio is sometimes, rightly or not, considered more valuable.
It would be pretty awesome if they composed the soundtrack with Little Sound Dj and recorded it from a Game Boy as the soundtrack. I doubt they actually did that, but if they did, that would totally justify the uncompressed audio.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I was actually impressed when I saw that Mighty Gunvolt Burst was only 30 megs. Optimization is an art form, and apparently a lost art form judging by dark souls

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Augus posted:

Non-tank controls would literally break RE4, the game is incredibly tightly designed around its controls.

Seriously. Your were super OP in the Wii version because of the remote aiming and quick knife.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Playing as Fox in Starlink makes him seen kind of hyper competent by comparison to the Starlink crew. Especially in the middle. Since he's not particularly involved in that part of the plot, you get this thing where other characters are arguing over comms or trying to figure out what to do, and by the time they finish having their conversation, you as Fox chime in with something like "All finished guys!"

I actually like the Starlink characters paint by numbers though they may be, but it's funny how as Fox you feel like you've kind of wandered into someone else's situation and just fixing it for them because you can.

Also I love the evolution of the game loop. Early on there is lots of collecting to generate electrum to upgrade posts so you have enough Nova for ship upgrades. But at mid game I'm automatically generating so much electrum and so many of the things you do feature a boss that grants you Nova, you no longer need to collect anything, and you hey across the planet building up outposts, clearing settlements and blowing up legion.

This is pretty much where I am. A lot of the collectible atuff is still accessible but aside from more completion its not as immediately uaeful as blowing up an extractor/prime/dreadnought or a pirate base.

Still great though, not bored yet. Of course ice been playing in sane 1-2 hour chunks so ymmv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

For those in Europe, does your eshop also show The Missing coming 31.10.18 for the humble price of ~$100?