Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dauntless was ok as a Monster Hunter lite but the gear grind was just... not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've never played a Monster Hunter before... Is there any actual hunting involved, above and beyond 'go here, kill this, get a thing'? What I mean is, remember fighting The End in Metal Gear Solid 3, and how you had to be smart and methodical about the whole thing? Is there any of that in MH? Any planning, detailed tracking, or anything like that?

The answer is mostly no. There is planning involved in the form of needing to take the right armor/items to fight a particular mon, but no more than you'd find in any other RPG with an elemental weakness/strength system.

The "hunting" aspect is mostly lore related. In that these people hunt monsters for food/clothing and you, as a hunter, will go out on regular trips to join in this hallowed duty.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've never played a Monster Hunter before... Is there any actual hunting involved, above and beyond 'go here, kill this, get a thing'? What I mean is, remember fighting The End in Metal Gear Solid 3, and how you had to be smart and methodical about the whole thing? Is there any of that in MH? Any planning, detailed tracking, or anything like that?

Not really. Monster Hunter is about combat more than anything else.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Not really. Monster Hunter is about combat more than anything else.

don't forget fashion

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Andrast posted:

don't forget fashion

don’t forget the cats

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

For the Switch, not really, for MHW, yes.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Funny, I consider the gameplay loop of MHW and MHGU to be nearly identical, barring MHW having a lot more systems in place to alleviate the grind.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Andrast posted:

don't forget fashion

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

don’t forget the cats

AND DON'T FORGET THE JOKER

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dauntless was ok as a Monster Hunter lite but the gear grind was just... not great.

I'm enjoying it as a "we're crunching at work and my child is a git and ok now i have some time just to flop in front of the telly and watch shite while i punch lizards in the face" sorta game. The escalation mode and striker (fist) weapon they added are both strong additions that have made me enjoy the game a lot more.

It's a bad game though wow.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Len posted:

From my experience trying to play as a cat it's great for gathering but actually killing anything takes forever and isn't fun at all

Mmm, Prowler main here, and disagree. Things die pretty quick. You have to know what you're doing, but that's not any different than using the other weapons.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

LeFishy posted:

I'm enjoying it as a "we're crunching at work and my child is a git and ok now i have some time just to flop in front of the telly and watch shite while i punch lizards in the face" sorta game. The escalation mode and striker (fist) weapon they added are both strong additions that have made me enjoy the game a lot more.

It's a bad game though wow.

That was it for me as well but i recently discovered how well Steam Link works so I just play MHW at lunch using an iPad and DS4 controller.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve always been so impressed by how MH games manage to make “hunting dinosaurs down in the jungle and skinning them” look boring as gently caress.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

jackhunter64 posted:

AND DON'T FORGET THE JOKER

Oh, another P5 collab? :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I tried the monster hunter demo coming off a long stint of BOTW. I ran into one invisible wall after another endlessly and noped right the gently caress out

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I tried the monster hunter demo coming off a long stint of BOTW. I ran into one invisible wall after another endlessly and noped right the gently caress out

Yeah, it's a switch port of a 3DS game. It's got a lot of baggage. I don't think I can reasonably go back after how polished MHW is on the ps4.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

There are just as many invisible walls in MHW as MHGU. Literally the only difference is not having loading screens between zones.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, so are there any games (or parts of other games) that actually do the hunting thing well or in-depth?

Doesn't Witcher 3 have something like that?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Not really

unless you count following your detective vision witcher senses to the monster

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ok, so are there any games (or parts of other games) that actually do the hunting thing well or in-depth?

you're "tracking" but mostly it's just holding down a button and following the bright red glow

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Red Dead Redemption 2 when you’re hunting for the legendary animal pelts / skins.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2 when you’re hunting for the legendary animal pelts / skins.

I should have specified "Switch only".

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The essence of irl hunting is being bored for a few hours and then drinking beer with your hunting buddies afterward so you can replicate the experience by playing some garbage game like mario party with your friends and then getting sloshed

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you're hunting demons then DOOM simulates hunting pretty darn well!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I really hope this gets a US release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7X_ssVBUIc

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Lol i was kind of down, and then random chainsaw guy had me needing the game.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Andrast posted:

The essence of irl hunting is being bored for a few hours and then drinking beer with your hunting buddies afterward so you can replicate the experience by playing some garbage game like mario party with your friends and then getting sloshed

I think I got that experience by playing PUBG.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There's a Big Buck Hunter switch port.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Mega64 posted:

If you're hunting demons then DOOM simulates hunting pretty darn well!

That's less hunting and more "being an unstoppable force and tearing through"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone that thinks Prowlers are too slow to kill need to start using Piercing Boomerangs.
Landing a 20-hit combo on a giant dragon is dope as gently caress.

Seriously, watch a breakdown of the Prowler types, recruit the kind you like and just go wild.
You can just throw barrel bombs all day if you want (and should).

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I looked at Gameflip before and that site looks sketchy af

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Inzombiac posted:

Anyone that thinks Prowlers are too slow to kill need to start using Piercing Boomerangs.
Landing a 20-hit combo on a giant dragon is dope as gently caress.

Seriously, watch a breakdown of the Prowler types, recruit the kind you like and just go wild.
You can just throw barrel bombs all day if you want (and should).

There's a goon LP by SkippyGranola I think that's just the Prowler

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ChucklefishLTD/status/1225493060177534976

The physical copies of this game (marketed as being a Deluxe version) just had a significant price cut from $30 to $15. This is probably why.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 6, 2020

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

There's a goon LP by SkippyGranola I think that's just the Prowler

It's mine, actually. :ssh: But yes all Prowler, all the time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Silver Falcon posted:

It's mine, actually. :ssh: But yes all Prowler, all the time.

Whats your yt channel again? I have close to a hundred subs, and it's hard to remember which lp is who's.
(I was actually guessing cause I couldn't find it before work, but I know he has co-commentators)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Whats your yt channel again? I have close to a hundred subs, and it's hard to remember which lp is who's.
(I was actually guessing cause I couldn't find it before work, but I know he has co-commentators)

I gotcha, fam. Link to Prowler playlist..

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/ChucklefishLTD/status/1225493060177534976

The physical copies of this game (marketed as being a Deluxe version) just had a significant price cut from $30 to $15. This is probably why.

Any AI updates? That’s what kills this game to me.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Outer Worlds for Switch has been delayed indefinitely due to the Coronavirus, on the plus side the physical version of the game will now have the game on the cart instead of having a download code.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Silver Falcon posted:

Mmm, Prowler main here, and disagree. Things die pretty quick. You have to know what you're doing, but that's not any different than using the other weapons.

Good for you but from my experience prowlers are tedious and boring and I could throw myself against it until the Stockholm syndrome sets in or I could just stick with IG and have actual real fun

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

Outer Worlds for Switch has been delayed indefinitely due to the Coronavirus, on the plus side the physical version of the game will now have the game on the cart instead of having a download code.

Sure is a convenient excuse lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Sure is a convenient excuse lately

Yeah, those poors should progress from getting paid nothing to literally dying so I can get my video game on time.