Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Including the bug in Metroid Prime 2 where you can softlock the game, losing multiple hours of progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s not a popular opinion but I hope Metroid Prime 1 and 2 control like the GameCube versions in the eventual switch release, the pointer controls kinda broke the game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nintendo has both Prime Trilogy and Mother 3 locked up and will save them as a "break glass in case of major first party delays" stunt

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

hatty posted:

It’s not a popular opinion but I hope Metroid Prime 1 and 2 control like the GameCube versions in the eventual switch release, the pointer controls kinda broke the game.

I’d be fine with modern dual analog controls instead of pointer controls. The motion/pointer controls are fun at first but forcing them into a Switch version seems like a dumb idea. I just don’t see how they would be able to do it and not have a miserable undocked experience.

But Gamecube style controls might get some backlash, it would just feel too dated for modern audiences.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nachos posted:

Journey to the Savage Planet is on the eShop today if you're desperate for a first person metroidvania. Closest thing we're going to get to Metroid Prime for another 2+ years.

It's very very good!

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I’d be fine with modern dual analog controls instead of pointer controls. The motion/pointer controls are fun at first but forcing them into a Switch version seems like a dumb idea. I just don’t see how they would be able to do it and not have a miserable undocked experience.

But Gamecube style controls might get some backlash, it would just feel too dated for modern audiences.

they would replace the pointer controls with gyro, which would make the undocked version even better

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Bit of a niche question, but if I picked up a physical copy of Dragon Quest XI, will I be able to transfer my save file from the demo?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yes, you can

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's automatic, even. The save file is stored in switch system memory. There's like 1or 2 games where a digital edition and physical use a seperate save file and I think those were certification or versioning bugs that got fixed

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

neat, thx

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

precision posted:

It's very very good!

How's performance on Switch?

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

romanowski posted:

they would replace the pointer controls with gyro, which would make the undocked version even better

Oh that’s true, that would actually be awesome.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Beastie posted:

How's performance on Switch?

I saw this in my reccs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WIjrd5k-LE

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oof those frame rates.

I am interested in this but I’m gonna hold off for a patch.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Not a Children posted:

Including the bug in Metroid Prime 2 where you can softlock the game, losing multiple hours of progress.

The Main Research glitch is still in Trilogy? I thought it was fixed in later prints of the game

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Having either one as an option for Prime 1 and 2 would be ideal.
Give me Samus's arm cannon frosting over when I charge an Ice Beam or give me death

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They should bring back the exploit that let you get the double jump boots early

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Len posted:

Got a source on that? I know the internet has decided they're ex-lovers because of course they did, but the AC wiki doesn't mention anything about them being enemies.

It does mention that he steals Turnips

Here's pretty much the whole thing, as of a couple months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvfmPtkhqok

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Here's pretty much the whole thing, as of a couple months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvfmPtkhqok

Jesus Christ that's a 15 minute video. I was hoping for like a blog post or something I could read at work

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Should I pick up Animal Crossing? I'm worried that it will be a game that seems fun at first but then becomes repetitive and pointless after a week.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That is really going to be down to personal preference. If you're worried you won't like it, you're probably right.

I lasted two weeks

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Should I pick up Animal Crossing? I'm worried that it will be a game that seems fun at first but then becomes repetitive and pointless after a week.

Probably not.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's good and worth it at the prices it drops to. The real drag is the "exploration" bit where you run from fight to fight. The game really plays like a puzzle more than anything else. The Rabbids are nowhere near as obnoxious as you'd think (my bar for that is Minions, they're insufferable), and you do get some fun options depending on who you end up using.

It's not a long game, so the price is justified, and it never overstays its welcome. It's more annoying if you're trying to get a perfect score, but that's not necessarily very tough.

Alright I think I might jump into it for the long weekend, thanks.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
But everyone else is playing Animal Crossing and I'm feeling that I may be missing out! :(

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Now that I've got all the tools and upgrades, the game's an hour or two of daily tasks. Checking my flowers, money trees, lucky rock, the shops, and who's visiting town. The endgame for me is making my island look cool, getting a 5 star rating, and having the coolest neighbors. Oh, and looking fly as gently caress while doing it. The megathread has more info and ideas if you're curious.

e: \/ I guess that's fair, if you don't like making a routine. I see it the same as doing dailies in WoW.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 22, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Nah. The animal crossing fans are playing animal crossing and enjoying themselves, good for them, and the game is social media friendly so you see it a lot which is giving you FOMO. But 'boring and repetitive' describes a majority of the gameplay as it quickly becomes something you feel obligated to spend 30 minutes daily doing the same rounds which consists of a bunch of menial tasks.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

A few months ago I spent some time trying out Dolphin with all my Wii games and was pleasantly surprised to figure out that you can assign the fake-Wiimote controls in such a way that you can straight-up play MPT with a dual-analog controls on a modern controller. If Nintendo releases a Switch version with this and gyro it's an instant buy for me. Also would be the third time I own all three MPT games ....

If you want to go the emulator approach I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread that's there a mod of Dolphin, PrimeHack, that adds mouse and keyboard controls.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

punk rebel ecks posted:

But everyone else is playing Animal Crossing and I'm feeling that I may be missing out! :(

Id never played a previous AC so got it and tried it out for a short time. Playing it and then reading comments from some people I know about how amazing it is and how wonderful their houses look confirmed that I'd no desire to play it. It seemed tedious and repetitive. That is something some people love. I'm not one of them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

Just get Stardew Valley it's basically the same poo poo

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I like animal crossing a lot but after about a month it definitely becomes 30-60 minutes of daily zen garden raking rather than a "game" that you're going to spend hours on end playing on a lazy sunday afternoon or whatever.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I was thinking a week or two ago that Animal Crossing was boring and a waste of money but then it turned out I'd put over 120 hours into the game. I sign in, give some gifts to Sly, pick up garbage and call it a day. I've been tempted to time travel to finish the museum but eh why rush it

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Animal Crossing is a life simulator, and if you don't like anything like those, you're gonna fall off this pretty hard.

It's like how you look at The Sims, wondering why you ever thought a game where owning a house and getting a job would be remotely fun, when you've hit the 200 hour mark.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Takoluka posted:

It's like how you look at The Sims, wondering why you ever thought a game where owning a house and getting a job would be remotely fun, when you've hit the 200 hour mark.

The Sims looses its charm after the 50th time you fill a house with wicker furniture and fireplaces then remove all the doors.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Huh RealMyst is on the eshop now.

This is the version where it's actually in 3D instead of being built out of prerendered scenes, right? Is it worth a look?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
The comparison would be apt with the lovely Sims mobile versions where a lot of the content is gated behind time locks, but not the full flavoured Sims games where you can cheat yourself infinite money and build to your hearts content for days and weeks as I have done in the past.

Try playing animal crossing for an extended session and you'll very quickly hit a wall of having nothing to do because there is very little actual game to it. Maybe this version differs slightly but I don't consider having to log on every day in the hope one of the shops has an item I actually want to be the pinnacle of fun.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Rutibex posted:

The Sims looses its charm after the 50th time you fill a house with wicker furniture and fireplaces then remove all the doors.

You have to do this strategically so you can create your specific graveyard layout.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The thing about post-endgame AC is that you can make awesome projects like my pentagram clearing, or a baseball field (in the works), or you can run colored subway lines to your attractions, or anything else the hell you can think of.

It can continue to reward creativity, but if you're not inclined to that sort of freestyling, then yeah it's just an idle clicker to watch your number go up.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Pretty good posted:

This is the version where it's actually in 3D instead of being built out of prerendered scenes, right? Is it worth a look?

You know what I'm pretty goddamn tired of buying this game.

*buys this game*

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rutibex posted:

Just get Stardew Valley it's basically the same poo poo

It’s not really the same at all but I would recommend Stardew to someone that is worried about AC not being “gamey” enough. Stardew definitely doesn’t have those issues.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pretty good posted:

Hell, looking at those pictures, it's been long enough that I've forgotten the solutions to all those puzzles, it might be worth it for the price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s not really the same at all but I would recommend Stardew to someone that is worried about AC not being “gamey” enough. Stardew definitely doesn’t have those issues.

I love that Stardew Valley can be both a chill relaxing rural life simulator, but also a MLG pro-gamer speed run challenge. Animal Crossing just can't compare