Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Not a Children posted:

Literally 3 days apart

2017 was such an amazing video game year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I constantly tried climbing stuff in HZD after playing botw

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Andrast posted:

I constantly tried climbing stuff in HZD after playing botw

Yeah i played both at the same time and going between them just made me want the free climbing in horizon and the combat in BOTW. They’re both GOTY.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Did anyone here buy Ys VIII? I can't find it new online, which is fine, but the used ones I find are all missing the box.

Was there anything particular special about the box for this game? Art book or something?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
HZD was the last game I really played on my PS4, because I finished it and loved it. Then, I bought a Switch, MK, and BotW the next day and haven't been able to talk myself into playing a game that's locked to the TV since.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I know this is a dumb problem that technically has nothing to do with the Switch but

BOTW1 looked great, and I loved it, and I really liked how they pulled off something like that on a handheld scale
If BOTW2 comes out after the PS5 is out it's gonna be kinda hard to go between PS5 graphics and something that looks like a Switch game. This doesn't matter for 90% of Switch games but a lot of me loving BOTW was feeling they did a great job with the world

There is an easy solution to this. Simply don't buy a PS5 and just continue to play good games on your Switch.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Spiteski posted:

Is it any good?
I'm thinking of grabbing that and DQB2 with vouchers, one turn based, and one chill out game

TMS is a delight. It's a fun, colorful, stylish game that doesn't take itself too seriously. The battles are fun and snappy (protip: turn on Quick Sessions), and the mechanics are super satisfying to pull off. I loved it start to finish.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Rutibex posted:

There is an easy solution to this. Simply don't buy a PS5 and just continue to play good games on your Switch.

Honestly there's no real reason to buy a PS5 until a year after it's launch when the actual good games come out. Until then play switch erryday

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Get this: I’m going to buy a PS5 AND continue to play good games on my Switch.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

man nurse posted:

Get this: I’m going to buy a PS5 AND continue to play good games on my Switch.

:hmmyes:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Even at the time there were people criticizing BOTW for muddy textures, draw distance, etc. It has great art design but was never a technical powerhouse compared to its contemporaries, so I don't think whatever's going on in the PS5 sphere will impact people's enjoyment.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

Even at the time there were people criticizing BOTW for muddy textures, draw distance, etc. It has great art design but was never a technical powerhouse compared to its contemporaries, so I don't think whatever's going on in the PS5 sphere will impact people's enjoyment.

There's a limited amount of computing power in the world and the release of the PS5 will inevitably make everything else look worse due to computing power shortages.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

If you're the type of person who prioritizes up to the minute, latest and greatest graphics and framerate over gameplay and game design, the Switch and the games released on it might not be the kind of thing you're into.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If you're the type of person who prioritizes up to the minute, latest and greatest graphics and framerate over gameplay and game design, the Switch and the games released on it might not be the kind of thing you're into.

Coming in to the nintendo thread to complain about low poly count and lack of real time ray-traced horse balls

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I just picked up Divinity OS2 and already have a serious case of reroll-itis. Does anyone know if it gives an option to skip the tutorial ship if I start again?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Breath of the Wild does seem like a Nintendo take on the whole modern sandbox genre, along with taking a lot of risks for a franchise that was usually very traditional arguably to the point of stale. From all indications, it paid off.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Breath of the Wild does seem like a Nintendo take on the whole modern sandbox genre, along with taking a lot of risks for a franchise that was usually very traditional arguably to the point of stale. From all indications, it paid off.

is this from a review of BOTW when it came out

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

el dingo posted:

I just picked up Divinity OS2 and already have a serious case of reroll-itis. Does anyone know if it gives an option to skip the tutorial ship if I start again?

You can't but you can respec for free at any time after the first island.

(if you turn on one of the official mods you can respec at any time after the tutorial)

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Pounded the Checkout button a bunch of times with Ring Fit in my cart and Best Buy let me through. Here's hoping it's real...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Bloop posted:

Coming in to the nintendo thread to complain about low poly count and lack of real time ray-traced horse balls

Is that an advanced Alpha blend I see?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Remember folks, childlike wonderful worlds of fantasy color and adventure suck poo poo compared to a lovingly rendered trash bag made by a 3d artist who skipped the birth of their child.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

Remember folks, childlike wonderful worlds of fantasy color and adventure suck poo poo compared to a lovingly rendered trash bag made by a 3d artist who skipped the birth of their child.

To be fair I'm sure the artists at Nintendo are also overworked. Its a Japanese company after all don't they have to sleep under their desks until the job is done?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

AAA games make such bad use of their budgets, here's a really complex well-rendered animation of a character killing some dude in a specific eight-part combo with a bunch of little nuances like the dude slapping the knife out of your hand but then you catch it with your other hand and stab him through the eye at the last second. But they spent so much time lovingly rendering it that they could only make that one animation, so you watch that sequence be perfectly replicated twenty times an hour.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Al-Saqr posted:

What is this a reference to?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nanigans posted:

Was there anything particular special about the box for this game? Art book or something?

I think it came with like a map or something. I like physical goodies, but whatever that one came with ended up back in a box and up on a shelf.

I could dig it up if you really must know, but that's the level of enthusiasm I had for whatever it came with.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

AAA games make such bad use of their budgets, here's a really complex well-rendered animation of a character killing some dude in a specific eight-part combo with a bunch of little nuances like the dude slapping the knife out of your hand but then you catch it with your other hand and stab him through the eye at the last second. But they spent so much time lovingly rendering it that they could only make that one animation, so you watch that sequence be perfectly replicated twenty times an hour.

"Games just cost so much to make these days!"

*project manager snorts coke off his desk while a hundred people crunch on a million-polygon traffic cone*

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Rutibex posted:

To be fair I'm sure the artists at Nintendo are also overworked. Its a Japanese company after all don't they have to sleep under their desks until the job is done?

https://www.businessinsider.com/nintendo-japan-salary-working-conditions-2019-3

Apparently Nintendo isn’t as bad as other Japanese companies. Also japan has universal healthcare.

KingSlime posted:

What is this a reference to?

The last of us 2 has incredible floating plastic trash bag physics.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Hammer Bro. posted:

I think it came with like a map or something. I like physical goodies, but whatever that one came with ended up back in a box and up on a shelf.

I could dig it up if you really must know, but that's the level of enthusiasm I had for whatever it came with.

Nah, it's cool. I decided to just finally splurge on a micro SD card and I'm gonna download it.

I wish it was on sale. It's still the full $60. I'm replaying Hollow Knight, so maybe by the time I'm done, it'll be on sale.

Did you like the game?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/nintendo-japan-salary-working-conditions-2019-3

Apparently Nintendo isn’t as bad as other Japanese companies. Also japan has universal healthcare.

Huh nice! I guess I like Nintendo even more now. I suppose it's hard to make games with childlike whimsy if your artists lives have been ground into dust.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Al-Saqr posted:

The last of us 2 has incredible floating plastic trash bag physics.

Ooo I see, I need to finish the original one first but yeah I hear part 2 is a visual masterpiece even on the crappy base ps4. Cutting edge floating trash bag physics got me hyped

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Nintendo does still do crunch which is bad (see stories of "Mario time") but it seems to be more exception than standard operating procedure like at Naughty Dog or Rockstar.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

In Xenoblade: DE, am I missing something that will make the materials needed for Colony 6 show up on the map like with other side quests? Or do I just need to wiki those

The Battle Axe
Mar 30, 2011

Augus posted:

In Xenoblade: DE, am I missing something that will make the materials needed for Colony 6 show up on the map like with other side quests? Or do I just need to wiki those

Sadly they do not show up on the map like other side quests.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Battle Axe posted:

Sadly they do not show up on the map like other side quests.

dont worry you can look it up in your list of 999999 subquests

:smithicide:

This and not being able to bulk sell are really my only gripes though

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Fallom posted:

"Games just cost so much to make these days!"

*project manager snorts coke off his desk while a hundred people crunch on a million-polygon traffic cone*

Also you have to make a different traffic cone model for the sequel or a bunch of Youtube dipshits will make eighteen minute rant videos about asset recycling.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nanigans posted:

Did you like the game?

I enjoyed it as anime comfort food and it had some nice stuff though I didn't get super-far into it. Played a fair number of hours while I was house-sitting for someone over the course of three weeks but then when my schedule came back to normal RPGs fell off the radar. Never picked it back up for no specific reason.

But I think it's the kind of game where if you think you're going to enjoy it you're probably going to enjoy it.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Hammer Bro. posted:

I enjoyed it as anime comfort food and it had some nice stuff though I didn't get super-far into it. Played a fair number of hours while I was house-sitting for someone over the course of three weeks but then when my schedule came back to normal RPGs fell off the radar. Never picked it back up for no specific reason.

But I think it's the kind of game where if you think you're going to enjoy it you're probably going to enjoy it.

Hahah, that's perfect, then, 'cause I think I'm gonna enjoy it! Thanks.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

Nintendo does still do crunch which is bad (see stories of "Mario time") but it seems to be more exception than standard operating procedure like at Naughty Dog or Rockstar.

I think animal crossing was delayed to avoid crunch so hopefully that becomes the standard with them

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Imagine not being willing to play objectively good video games because the graphics.

Can't believe Curse of the Moon 2 has a July 10th release date, wasn't expecting that with the announcement not too long ago. Gonna pre-order that so hard :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

katkillad2 posted:

Imagine not being willing to play objectively good video games because the graphics.

I require at least ten times more shades of brown than the human eye can discern if I am to enjoy myself at all