Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Buttholes. Okay thanks y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
No matter what the new paper mario turns out like I will say it's battle theme is fun.

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1276515885973483521

Also I think it looks cool, though I wish the Bob-Omb ally looked a bit more unique. Would love if they brought back some of the unique looking NPCs and partners back. Still it for sure looks like a good step.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 30, 2020

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

man nurse posted:

Pretend I posted that giant bomb clip where Jeff gets upset that the Link’s Awakening remake graphics are divisive, conjuring his rage at the wind waker backlash all over again. “I wanna turn into a wolf and gently caress!”

Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNukS8h0YkE&t=6400s

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Thank you

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

That looks kinda really busted tbh, there's a difference between funny and completely broken and this game looks completely broken lol They should delay the game for a few more months. There's alot of good parts to it but the outdoor segments should absolutely be better optimized than this.

but I'm loving the dialogue and your sidekick character is very cool. Also the earnestness of York in the Voodoo shop made me laugh so I think alot of this is intentional but honestly they really need to polish out the outdoors a little because there's a fine line between funny-busted and straight out busted and they need to make sure it doesnt come across as just busted. The entire vodoo shop sequence made me laugh pretty hard though lol.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 30, 2020

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Jeff Gerstmann is a national treasure

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Al-Saqr posted:

That looks kinda really busted tbh, there's a difference between funny and completely broken and this game looks completely broken lol They should delay the game for a few more months. There's alot of good parts to it but the outdoor segments should absolutely be better optimized than this.

but I'm loving the dialogue and your sidekick character is very cool. Also the earnestness of York in the Voodoo shop made me laugh so I think alot of this is intentional but honestly they really need to polish out the outdoors a little because there's a fine line between funny-busted and straight out busted and they need to make sure it doesnt come across as just busted. The entire vodoo shop sequence made me laugh pretty hard though lol.

Yeah, it was the outside segments that killed me. It looks like one of those cheap Steam games that Jim Sterling would make fun of. Everything else seems fine though.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
‪the super smash bros remix of the ARMS theme song loving slaps

bowmore fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jun 30, 2020

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ok so I got Mr Driller. When I'm not sailing I'll be drilling! Thanks!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

blackguy32 posted:

I've beaten Ys 8. It was enjoyable and a fun action rpg. I would advise not getting it on Switch if you can, but the switch port is perfectly playable. It has a few performance issues that the other versions don't have. I liked the game enough to pretty much do everything in it.

I don't have a PS4 or anything, so Switch is all I can get. Plus, I can bring the Switch with me up to the office to play during downtime.

Glad to hear people still reflecting fondly on Ys VIII even after a couple years.

I hope they decide to port Tales of Berseria to Switch eventually. I loves me my action RPGs and Trials of Mana left me a little cold.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Violet_Sky posted:

Real Gamers remember throwing a fit over Wind Waker cause of the graphics. WW has aged better than Twilight Princess and still looks good today.

:qq: BUH I WANT MY MATURE ZELDA NOT SOME KIDDY CARTOON :qq:

I was posting here back then and the hate was very real and very hot. If you liked “celda” you were a scrub.

It’s great to see the opinion changed, since it’s a beautiful game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Graphics vs Art Direction is one of the best stupid arguments in all of gaming.

A game with good art direction will look good forever.

A PS2 game with cutting edge realistic graphics is probably unplayable for many gamers in 2020.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Bust Rodd posted:

Graphics vs Art Direction is one of the best stupid arguments in all of gaming.

A game with good art direction will look good forever.

A PS2 game with cutting edge realistic graphics is probably unplayable for many gamers in 2020.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

48 polygons. Mind boggling :psypop:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

48 polygons. Mind boggling :psypop:

they were at the time though to be fair.

Funnily enough there's this new trend where indie games make use of low-poly graphics to make some visually stunning stuff see for example:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPSkIIIOA64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxvpJ1g54sY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea2kAW1mA6Q

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 30, 2020

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just played Ys book 1, and hey indie developers if you read this thread, bring back bump combat. That was actually pretty interesting

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Aerofallosov posted:

There's also a thread in the Mart forums where goons are helping find switches. I see some at Target now and then, but I haven't the funds to up and start buying any to help out. A lot of the resellers have been using some bot or another.

I think the market is gonna pop on them soon with the news of restocks coming in. They're being listed for $480 CAD in Toronto on Kijiji, which is only $30 more than MSRP + tax here. That is approaching "Not worth the time" territory (hopefully).

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Slowpoke! posted:

I think the market is gonna pop on them soon with the news of restocks coming in. They're being listed for $480 CAD in Toronto on Kijiji, which is only $30 more than MSRP + tax here. That is approaching "Not worth the time" territory (hopefully).

That would be swell I just see them on Amazon from like 3 resellers for 400+ USD which is 100 over MSRP here so I was like gently caress.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
some of the early 3d stuff still holds up too, like i still think MGS1 and Gran Turismo look cool as hell given the PS1 "look"

also that era had the best music in history. the perfect era of "oh we can do CD music now" so they just throw as much 90s electronic on there as possible

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
From the PS1 area, for me there's Vagrant Story and then there's everything else. They completely embrace the low poly count and insufficient texture memory and did amazing things with it that I haven't seen since.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
oh yeah, that's an obvious one, though for the ones i've personally played it's MGS1 and GT2 as the highlights.

also i miss when it was culturally hip to put this poo poo on your racing game OST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dybcJyk1iiA

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also i miss when it was culturally hip to put this poo poo on your racing game OST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dybcJyk1iiA
We got denied a new Ridge Racer game and it still hurts. Dunno if it was gonna be on Switch but it was canceled.

At least Hotshot Racing is coming.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Bust Rodd posted:

Even back then no one other than marketing considered the PS2 to be "realistic"

But the point is moot, did you guys know they make games with good creative artstyles AND powerful graphics that can't be replicated on the switch? It's been this way for about a decade now, it's pretty cool. This supposed conflict between good graphics and good style hasn't been a thing since schoolyard console war days. You have to actively choose to play ugly games with how much content there is to choose from (which is fine too if you enjoy them)

Nintendo has an excellent sense of style yes but they aren't the only ones with professional artists on the payroll!

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 30, 2020

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I just played Ys book 1, and hey indie developers if you read this thread, bring back bump combat. That was actually pretty interesting

Same I just beat it last night. Never played Ys games before so I bought a few for five bucks each during the sale. Bump combat made the game fast paced I liked it. You jumping on the second game?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Violet_Sky posted:

Real Gamers remember throwing a fit over Wind Waker cause of the graphics. WW has aged better than Twilight Princess and still looks good today.

:qq: BUH I WANT MY MATURE ZELDA NOT SOME KIDDY CARTOON :qq:

I hung out on the GameFAQs forums a lot at the time WW was shown off and released and MY GOD the whining was plentiful then. And yeah, now WW still looks great, and TP looks like hot rotten rear end in a top hat. (related: why are the people in TP and Skyward Sword so unrelentingly loving ugly?)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Safari Disco Lion posted:

e(related: why are the people in TP and Skyward Sword so unrelentingly loving ugly?)

Poor artstyle direction

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Safari Disco Lion posted:

(related: why are the people in TP and Skyward Sword so unrelentingly loving ugly?)

Turn on your TV.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Skyward Sword isn't ugly, it's got lots of color. Twilight Princess is the brownest of browns, but that was game design in 2006.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
While brown game era was v sad indeed, there's way more to good aesthetics past "it's colorful."

I thought SS was quite ugly, and BotW basically nailed whatever the hell they were going for then

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
brown wasn't the problem, the problem was that Unreal Engine 3 era where for some reason it was OK to have everything look like it was covered in shiny slime

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Skyward Sword isn't ugly, it's got lots of color. Twilight Princess is the brownest of browns, but that was game design in 2006.

But they made the overworld full of dusty brown clouds, so all the travel time you spend is spent in this shapeless formless dusty blank space, unlike the fields or ocean of Hyrule.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Feels Villeneuve posted:

brown wasn't the problem, the problem was that Unreal Engine 3 era where for some reason it was OK to have everything look like it was covered in shiny slime

maybe it was cum

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The plastic action figure era of texture shading.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

man nurse posted:

Pretend I posted that giant bomb clip where Jeff gets upset that the Link’s Awakening remake graphics are divisive, conjuring his rage at the wind waker backlash all over again. “I wanna turn into a wolf and gently caress!”

Nintendo Switch: I wanna turn into a wolf and gently caress!

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I distinctly remember being intrigued by TP's art style before it's release and then being really tired of it's ugly dull look not even halfway through actually playing it

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I’m a disgusting degenerate that liked Skyward Sword and even I hated that overworld. Such a massive letdown getting into the sky the first time and realizing after a few minutes that it’s actually tiny and has very little to do.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Bust Rodd posted:

But they made the overworld full of dusty brown clouds, so all the travel time you spend is spent in this shapeless formless dusty blank space, unlike the fields or ocean of Hyrule.

I was speaking more to character design and temple design, the overworld seems like it was an afterthought.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Wendigee posted:

That would be swell I just see them on Amazon from like 3 resellers for 400+ USD which is 100 over MSRP here so I was like gently caress.

After being dumb and refreshing bookmarked pages for a week I decided to make an account at two stock sites, Zoolert and NowInStock. I didn't get any alerts yesterday, but today both of them went off around the same time telling me Amazon had the neon console in stock. I managed to get it pretty easily. Based on the tracker, it looks like they have been coming in stock and selling out within 15-20 minutes at Amazon and Walmart, so unless you use an alert system you will probably miss out.

(Canadian Amazon and Walmart, though you can set the alerts up for the US sites as well)

Don't buy from scalpers. gently caress those people.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Slowpoke! posted:

After being dumb and refreshing bookmarked pages for a week I decided to make an account at two stock sites, Zoolert and NowInStock. I didn't get any alerts yesterday, but today both of them went off around the same time telling me Amazon had the neon console in stock. I managed to get it pretty easily. Based on the tracker, it looks like they have been coming in stock and selling out within 15-20 minutes at Amazon and Walmart, so unless you use an alert system you will probably miss out.

(Canadian Amazon and Walmart, though you can set the alerts up for the US sites as well)

Don't buy from scalpers. gently caress those people.

The guy who invented bird bot said in an interview it isn't scalping it's just simple supply and demand

I think he's like 16 so not understanding that's just scalping makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
The demand for scalpers is certainly there isn't it? It sounds like he gets it just fine