Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

repiv posted:

it's weird but running everything inside virtual machines has paid off in terms of security, the xbox one has never been jailbroken

there was an exploit in the browser that allowed running arbitrary code with low privileges but they couldn't bust out of the VM so it went nowhere

Great, it's never been jailbroken, but it runs like poo poo, looks like poo poo, and isn't the more efficient blades layout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Have a question about Xenoblade DE.

I liked the first game, but there was one problem that I just couldn't stand and I wonder if new version fixes it: sidequests. If I remember correctly, in the original you could NOT see which NPCs have quests if you're not close to them. Even when they appear on mini-map, it still takes time for exclamation mark to appear. I'm no completionist, but sometimes in a game like that you want to do side stuff, and the original basically made it so you had to run around the entire town looking for quests (and then set the clock to a different time and do it again). loving stupid, considering menu had an affinity chart for NPCs which had no useful info whatsoever.
Also IIRC if you defeated a miniboss, it would just randomly disappear and reappear in its original location, so you had to load the area multiple times if you wanted to defeat it again for a quest.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

repiv posted:

it's weird but running everything inside virtual machines has paid off in terms of security, the xbox one has never been jailbroken

there was an exploit in the browser that allowed running arbitrary code with low privileges but they couldn't bust out of the VM so it went nowhere

yeah, now people can't pirate great xbox one games like [DATA NOT FOUND]

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The Kins posted:

IIRC the Xbox One actually has three OSes going via a version of Hyper-V. The frontend and UWP apps use a lightly modified Windows 10, games use their own dedicated "Xbox OS" and then there's the back-compatibility stuff. Since the Series X is back-compatible with the current-gen, I suspect they're not going to be completely rethinking the whole setup on the new machine.

Wow that makes so much sense. It's so complicated which is why it breaks so horribly once in a while.

Bleck posted:

yeah, now people can't pirate great xbox one games like [DATA NOT FOUND]

Hey there's like rare replay and uhh you can just emulate everything worth a drat inside it already so uh I got nothing.

Gamepass is really neat though, it's like having a digital game rental service. But honestly you could spend the same amount on a year's subscription to game fly or something and that works for ps4, switch and Xbox one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vookatos posted:

I liked the first game, but there was one problem that I just couldn't stand and I wonder if new version fixes it: sidequests. If I remember correctly, in the original you could NOT see which NPCs have quests if you're not close to them. Even when they appear on mini-map, it still takes time for exclamation mark to appear. I'm no completionist, but sometimes in a game like that you want to do side stuff, and the original basically made it so you had to run around the entire town looking for quests (and then set the clock to a different time and do it again). loving stupid, considering menu had an affinity chart for NPCs which had no useful info whatsoever.
Also IIRC if you defeated a miniboss, it would just randomly disappear and reappear in its original location, so you had to load the area multiple times if you wanted to defeat it again for a quest.

All quests are marked in the map with a ! now.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

repiv posted:

TBH I think a lot of the cause of the Xbone not being jailbroken is that you can officially convert a standard retail Xbox into a developer unit and back without any jailbreaking required, so you don't need to hack the thing to run emulators or whatever.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Does the switch download game updates automatically?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Terminally Bored posted:

Does the switch download game updates automatically?

It should but I still check manually with + > Check For Updates

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Yes but only for the N most recently played games. Games you haven't played I a while might not have had updates applied. Because nintendo is nintendo, there's no way to say "just keep everything up to date"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

Yes but only for the N most recently played games. Games you haven't played I a while might not have had updates applied. Because nintendo is nintendo, there's no way to say "just keep everything up to date"

I think it’s their way of being respectful of data limits but it would be nice to have a “don’t care” setting.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Vookatos posted:

Quests are marked both on the map screen, and are on the minimap even on the far edge of the minimap. Yeah, that was a super obnoxious design decision the first time around. Between that and the ability to customize appearance at will, they fixed my two big complaints.

Also, I had no idea before buying the game, but you can jump straight to the Future Connected epilogue without playing the main game, if you just want the new content. That was a cool surprise. (I'm playing the main game anyway).

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Social Animal posted:

Someone posted here the comparison of the weapons to guns/ammo you would pick up in an fps.

I do the same in most shooters as well. Plink away with a lovely pistol to save the rocket launcher "in case I need it".

Not complaining mind you, weapon durability improved botw, once I stopped ruining my own fun over it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Phosphine posted:

I do the same in most shooters as well. Plink away with a lovely pistol to save the rocket launcher "in case I need it".

Not complaining mind you, weapon durability improved botw, once I stopped ruining my own fun over it.

This is why I love the new DOOM games so much - if you want rockets, just go chainsaw the nearest mook and out pops a whole bunch of ammo for you to pick up and use. BotW is similar in that if you want weapons, go kill some jerk with a nice weapon and take it for yourself. There's even a handy arena area near the center of the map with a bunch of enemies that drop all of the special elemental weapons more or less on demand, so you don't have to worry about those.

Arrows in BotW were always strange though - once you start hunting lynels you end up with so many more shock arrows than anything else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

This is why I love the new DOOM games so much - if you want rockets, just go chainsaw the nearest mook and out pops a whole bunch of ammo for you to pick up and use. BotW is similar in that if you want weapons, go kill some jerk with a nice weapon and take it for yourself. There's even a handy arena area near the center of the map with a bunch of enemies that drop all of the special elemental weapons more or less on demand, so you don't have to worry about those.

Arrows in BotW were always strange though - once you start hunting lynels you end up with so many more shock arrows than anything else.

Yeah the fact that Doom went instead for "each weapon has its own unique way of being powerful and useful" instead of "Here is the weak but ammo-plentiful gun, here is the strong but ammo-light gun" is an absolutely big part of why it is enjoyable to play.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Achmed Jones posted:

I'm not a coder but i don't understand why this is a thing that's hard to get right. iOS will tell me i have a bunch of apps with updates but i have to clicked update all a few times before it actually decides to update all

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
How's Mario Maker 2 if you're not interested in Kaizo Mario?
Also, how's the interface without a stylus?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zeeman posted:

It's really good, but I do think you need to like making levels yourself. Just playing them isn't quite enough of a draw imo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's really good, but I do think you need to like making levels yourself. Just playing them isn't quite enough of a draw imo.

Counterpoint; with the April update with world support, you now have virtually infinite Mario GAMES at your fingertips. My main gripes are that styles aren't locked (so any level can be any style, in a given world), and that your status (big/fire flower/raccoon/etc) doesn't carry over from one level to the next.

I'm thinking that both of these gripes are related, though. Still, the world add-on gives purpose to secrets, coins, and 1-ups. poo poo, I used to play Endless mode all the time, and haven't touched it since the update, thanks to what are essentially level maker playlists.

Edit: aside from many MANY super high quality goon made levels (we have a whole thread, of course), there's Aegis, who single handedly made what is essentially a spiritual sequel to Super Mario Bros 3. No joke, these levels are of extremely high quality, and really nail the feel of Nintendo quality levels. And he had these levels made BEFORE the world update hit. You used to have to load then all manually via the guy's profile.

Edit 2: further to this, I've made like... 3 levels. I still love the game. It's wonderful. You really don't have to worry about being inundated with kaizo poo poo.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 5, 2020

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm gonna disagree as well here. I've never made a level (although my son has made dozens and loves it), but it's absolutely worth full price for the endless high-quality Mario content. The single-player campaign alone would be in the top three Mario sidescroller games.

I think we've put about 300 hours into it but that's mostly the kid. Anyway it's a great value even at $60.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I haven't made too many of my own, but having infinite Mario levels to play is great.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Zeeman posted:

I think you can largely get an idea by combining your desire to create 2D Mario levels with how enthusiastic you are about 2D Mario games. I'd put my tally at about a 5 out of 10 and only played the original Wii U game for a week or two before never touching it again. I don't believe that game had any appreciable story mode, just a "clear X random stages in a row challenge."

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe
I only made like one level on the original Mario Maker. It's a blast to pull up balls hard levels with friends and try to flex on each other though

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I made one crummy level and decided making levels were not for me. Almost all of the levels that people make are just as terrible as the level I made. Even so, mario maker was a great purchase at full price and is an absolute no-brained for $40

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

I made one crummy level and decided making levels were not for me. Almost all of the levels that people make are just as terrible as the level I made. Even so, mario maker was a great purchase at full price and is an absolute no-brained for $40

Go goon made; there are quite literally 1500+ levels JUST from goons, and I have to say that even at their worst, they're still far and away leagues better than stuff that gets posted to 'New' via the in-game browser.

Seriously, there's no good reason for any member of these forums to be lacking good levels to play, and this is why.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Inu posted:

I asked in this thread about getting FE 3 Houses or Xenoblade Definitive a while back, and I finally decided to go with FE just because it's a genre I've never played.

I played for a couple of hours last night, and all I've done is the opening battle, and wandered around the monastery and caught a fish and had lunch with some people.

(Totally did not get lost in the monastery and wander in circles for half an hour. Nope. That didn't happen.)

Holy crap there are a lot of menus and stuff though! Is it all going to be pretty easy to figure out without looking stuff up? I couldn't even figure out how to get access to the seeds I received after doing a quest where I planted a seed I got in the greenhouse. lol

don't worry. you'll have plenty of chances to do the right thing and the wrong thing and eventually the menus will become second nature. it was the first FE game I played and I got v hooked

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Seriously, there's no good reason for any member of these forums to be lacking good levels to play, and this is why.

I've recently gotten into MM2 again and I'm embarrassed to admit it never occurred to me to check out goon levels.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man, Duke Nukem 3D is actually still a hella fun game. Hopefully I don't get murdered for this, but I think actually I like it even more than old Doom games. I mean, Doom is thematically cooler and the encounter design is probably better but I love all of the environmental variety in Duke and the attempt at making it feel like a real place instead of just kind of feeling like a bunch of random hallways and arenas.

It's stupidly hard though even on normal, sometimes in ways that feel sort of idiotic, so I appreciate the rewind button. It's no wonder I never got past the second level as a kid.

Semi unrelated, but I've been kind of on an on and off old school FPS kick for the last year and was thinking of how much I'd like to see a Switch port of Dark Forces which was the one I played the most when I was a kid.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Duke Nukem 3D is to Doom what Banjo Kazooie is to Mario 64: mechanically weaker but with nice presentation.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Holy gently caress so I found out there's a debug mode in Sonic Mania but to get it you have to do 16 of the blue sphere bonus levels. I just tried like twenty times and still haven't been able to get one. Someone else say they're hard as gently caress so I feel better cause I think I'm just going to finish the last act and delete the game in anger :argh:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Social Animal posted:

Holy gently caress so I found out there's a debug mode in Sonic Mania but to get it you have to do 16 of the blue sphere bonus levels. I just tried like twenty times and still haven't been able to get one. Someone else say they're hard as gently caress so I feel better cause I think I'm just going to finish the last act and delete the game in anger :argh:

When you see a group of blue spheres, are you grabbing them along the perimeter? That turns all the red and blue spheres in the group into rings, which makes gathering them a lot easier than it seems. Later on it can get hard but once you play them enough times you begin to remember where everything is so you eventually end up completing them.

While the emerald chase stages are more fun I find them more difficult to complete, but that might just be because you don't get as many chances to play them compared to the old-school bonus levels at every checkpoint.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Man, Duke Nukem 3D is actually still a hella fun game. Hopefully I don't get murdered for this, but I think actually I like it even more than old Doom games. I mean, Doom is thematically cooler and the encounter design is probably better but I love all of the environmental variety in Duke and the attempt at making it feel like a real place instead of just kind of feeling like a bunch of random hallways and arenas.

It's stupidly hard though even on normal, sometimes in ways that feel sort of idiotic, so I appreciate the rewind button. It's no wonder I never got past the second level as a kid.

Semi unrelated, but I've been kind of on an on and off old school FPS kick for the last year and was thinking of how much I'd like to see a Switch port of Dark Forces which was the one I played the most when I was a kid.

I don't know if you're already following this legendary thread, but you really should.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

veni veni veni posted:

I’m sure Dark Forces will make it over. Jedi Outcast and Academy are on Switch after all.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Does anyone know what's going on Pillars of Eternity 2 for Switch? There are physical copies available but nothing on digital - did they pull the digital version to release the Ultimate Edition at some point?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Foul Fowl posted:

Does anyone know what's going on Pillars of Eternity 2 for Switch? There are physical copies available but nothing on digital
Where do you see those?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Where do you see those?

Dekudeals said they were available but it's actually for pre-order - ignore me.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Speaking of the newer western RPGs that have been doing well lately, I picked up divinity OS2 and was a bit apprehensive about how it might be for switch lite but it's totally fine. UI is perfectly readable, controls work well enough. Game is also awesome

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Gosh I know this has been asked a number of times but I'm about to dive into Deadly Premonition for the firstish (I've played hot seat with a friend a long time ago) time and I know there is something about doing challenges and finding bones before some time limit expires?

I checked before I play and couldn't see anything but I'm pretty sure I saw something in this thread about it?

It's gonna be a struggle to resist buying the sequel on 10th but I'll hold out at least a little while.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Arghhhh UPS lost my copy of Ring Fit Adventure from Best Buy. And it's out of stock, so all they can do is refund me. Aaargh

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, it holds up pretty well so far. Some of the humor is pretty cringe in 2020 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Akarshi posted:

Arghhhh UPS lost my copy of Ring Fit Adventure from Best Buy. And it's out of stock, so all they can do is refund me. Aaargh

2020 just keeps on giving