Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

CharlestheHammer posted:

They do have slowdown yeah but from what I’ve seen nothing major 64 has some sprite and screen tearing issues from the original

People say it runs slightly better than the original but that shouldn’t effect your opinion as you aren’t playing the original and should judge the game as what it is. A stand alone game

Well, as long as the games run well for the most part and don't crash often, that's all I care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Violet_Sky posted:

Nerds love to complain

I can't play game because I still get to go sit in an office, but man can I poo poo post about games

But 10 copies of All Stars, you'll be able to put a down payment on a house in 5 years

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Look I just wanna get super hyped about Mario 64 and get bored half way through the lava level like old times.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Here's something that might show up in the Direct tomorrow...

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1306269380414779393?s=19

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Any word if Sunshine changed the requirements for reaching and beating the final level? More specifically, instead of having to do all 7 Shadow Mario missions, you just need an arbitrary number of Shines to reach Corona Mountain?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Willo567 posted:

Should I just cancel my preorder of All Stars 3D, if the ports of 64 and Sunshine are crap?
If you have a PC that can run the homebrew port of Super Mario 64 and Dolphin, and you have copies of Super Mario 64 and Sunshine lying around, and you don't particularly care to play these games on a Switch, then you might be better off playing them on a PC.

If none of the above applies to you, then keep that preorder going.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

DemoneeHo posted:

Any word if Sunshine changed the requirements for reaching and beating the final level? More specifically, instead of having to do all 7 Shadow Mario missions, you just need an arbitrary number of Shines to reach Corona Mountain?

I wanted this badly too, but if it’s emulated I would be stunned if they reworked the progression system.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, that's something I'll buy and never play. Such is my gaming life.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

American McGay posted:

Because the pirating data miners told us that they're packaged as ROMs and run on an emulator (this is definitely bad and lazy and not a smart development decision, and I know this because I used to download ROMs from Zophar's Domain in 2002) and also we don't understand the difference between the words port and remaster so we're comparing it to something like the Crash/Spyro trilogies (that were cheaper!).

Zophar’s Domain was for emulators and tools, they never hosted ROMs, just broke your loving argument with loving facts and logic!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'll def put my money on Monster Hunter or Mass Effect showing up tomorrow. A big Capcom Guy, @cvxfreak, has strongly been hinting at this poo poo and so has the DuskGolem guy--both of them being a good deal more reputable than garden variety leakers

Mega64
May 23, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Can't wait for the next few months years of goons beating that same joke into the ground. Lol don't open your 3d all stars its too valuable!! :smug:

You’ll pry the matte screen finish and oven memes from my cold dead hands.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Someday, my copy of Cooking Mama on Switch will be worth slightly more than I paid for it, and I will use that money to buy a rare copy of 3D All-Stars a few years from now. It's an investment in my future!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also please mark spoilers for the Direct, now I’m ruined on the feeling of meh I was gonna feel about the Mass Effect Trilogy reveal.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
come onnnnn bayonetta

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

My Switch finally showed up yesterday. It's my first console since the PS3 and it owns. Super Mario Odyssey is the most fun I've had with a video game in years.

I'm planning on slowly working my way though the Switch backlog. If I love 2D Mario and haven't played a Mario game since the 2006 DS game, would NSMBUD or Mario Maker 2 be a better choice? MM2 obviously wins on the sheer amount of content, but I wonder if it's a slog to find quality levels while trawling through junk.

If you haven't played a *New* SMB game, NSMB U is a fine addition. I've played it quite a bit and find it a decent challenge. Sometimes I can get my wife to play as well, though she's mainly a BOTW player.

Mario Maker 2 does have a pretty solid single player as well.

Also Mario 3D World comes out next year and should be great.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Also please mark spoilers for the Direct, now I’m ruined on the feeling of meh I was gonna feel about the Mass Effect Trilogy reveal.

Nice.

I only played the first and enjoyed it. I can see putting this on a wishlist and sitting on it until both a drop in my backlog and a good sale come around.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nintendo has basically considered Bayonetta (and Astral Chain) first party titles so I doubt it would get mentioned in a little puny direct like this.

It will instead get its release date announced in a trailer posted to Twitter at 9am on a Monday, 1 month before it's released.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm honestly shocked that anyone still cares about Mass Effect

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey, c'mon, Mass Effect 2 was REALLY good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

All three were really good and I played them each at least twice. I don't think I'd enjoy going back to them today though.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I played all 3 a few years back, a few months before Andromeda came out

1 was a tech demo. I guess it might've been interesting back in the day but I honestly thought it was super clunky
2 was a competently executed genuinely great game with a decent balance between combat and story, and actual interesting CYA paths
3 was a less-competently executed 2 that I think suffered from the massive expectations foisted on it

They're interesting games but I can't tell why this series gets rerelease after rerelease. Just watch an LP

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah they have aged terribly. One is no fun at all. 2 has a good story. Three is very very slow.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Not a Children posted:

They're interesting games but I can't tell why this series gets rerelease after rerelease.

Uh what

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Is Mass Effect the one where you can have sex with the aliens or is that Dead Space? Or are they the same thing?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it's a lot like star wars where only the middle one is good but it's so good that it elevates the other two

Mega64
May 23, 2008

In Mass Effect you gently caress the aliens, in Dead Space they gently caress you.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lester Shy posted:

My Switch finally showed up yesterday. It's my first console since the PS3 and it owns. Super Mario Odyssey is the most fun I've had with a video game in years.

I'm planning on slowly working my way though the Switch backlog. If I love 2D Mario and haven't played a Mario game since the 2006 DS game, would NSMBUD or Mario Maker 2 be a better choice? MM2 obviously wins on the sheer amount of content, but I wonder if it's a slog to find quality levels while trawling through junk.

NSMBUD is great but SMM2 is kind of perfect. Currently, there are over 20 million uploaded levels from the community.

Even if 99% of those were garbage, that still leaves 200k not-garbage levels to play.

Honestly, the Super World update in April boosted average level quality a LOT, which I already thought was pretty good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I guess 3 had the WiiU port and one eventually came to PS3.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

American McGay posted:

Is Mass Effect the one where you can have sex with the aliens or is that Dead Space? Or are they the same thing?

Dead Space is fun and Mass Effect is work. At least Dead Space 1 was fun.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The first one is perfectly serviceable, it just has a lot of boring inventory management and some crappy sections where you drive a car and can really easily get a game over. It's still a great game, trilogy is overall great.

Andromeda sucked, though

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bleck posted:

The first one is perfectly serviceable, it just has a lot of boring inventory management and some crappy sections where you drive a car and can really easily get a game over. It's still a great game, trilogy is overall great.

Andromeda sucked, though

I played some multiplayer in Andromeda but couldn't ever bring myself to play through the campaign.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I guess 3 had the WiiU port and one eventually came to PS3.

For some reason I had it in my head that there were already collections for xbox one/ps4, my B

I guess Wii U was the only real port besides the ports and then the eventual trilogy release on PC

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Mass Effect Trilogy is on X360 and PS3. This would be a port of that I guess?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Is Mass Effect the one where the ending was so bad the fans revolted and they had to release a free DLC that had a better ending?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Cartoon Man posted:

Is Mass Effect the one where the ending was so bad the fans revolted and they had to release a free DLC that had a better ending?

"Better"

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Cartoon Man posted:

Reviews are out and Sunshine appears to be the weakest link. Frame rate stuttering issues with the game at times and without analogue triggers the water canon is janky when your chasing evil Mario. But it’s mostly quibbles they still did an great job overall.
:sigh:
Even if it's only minor quibbles, it's still my favorite one, and it's disheartening to hear that it's slightly janky

Lodin posted:

Saw something on Twitter earlier that some Japanese guys have managed to crack open the custom Galaxy Wii emulator and have got Galaxy 2 and Twilight Princess basically running.
Probably bullshit, but I'd find it amusing if Nintendo have shot themselves in the foot by making Wii emulation much easier.
I hope it is true, that'd be kickass

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Cartoon Man posted:

Sort of. The DLC took place the night before the really lovely endings, which were unchanged.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Imma be stuck in a hotel for three weeks.

Since the Switch does not have a browser, can you log in to public WiFi?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Blaziken386 posted:

:sigh:
Even if it's only minor quibbles, it's still my favorite one, and it's disheartening to hear that it's slightly janky

I mean you are entitled fully to those quibbles. They're charging $20 for a 13 year old game, I think a steady frame rate with zero hitches is like the bare minimum you could expect. It's a GameCube game. Can't fault them for the analog stuff too much though, I've never liked or enjoyed using them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Imma be stuck in a hotel for three weeks.

Since the Switch does not have a browser, can you log in to public WiFi?

It does have a browser, specifically for logging into public WiFi

They just don't let you use the browser otherwise because uh reasons